PDA

View Full Version : Balsa agrees to one-year deal

thomas35forever
11-26-2007, 12:31 PM
According to Bruce Levine on ESPN 1000, Kerry Wood just signed a 1 yr/$3 million contract to be the Flubs' closer this year. I heard he was offered as high as $5 million by other teams.:o:

spiffie
11-26-2007, 12:34 PM
According to Bruce Levine on ESPN 1000, Kerry Wood just signed a 1 yr/$3 million contract to be the Flubs' closer this year. I heard he was offered as high as $5 million by other teams.:o:
If he did take less to stay with the Cubs I think he deserves some credit for that. They shephered him through his many rehab stints, and hopefully this is him showing some loyalty and appreciation for that.

D. TODD
11-26-2007, 12:36 PM
I heard it was 4 million for 1 year. If it's only 3 million it's a great deal for the Cubs. He threw the ball well down the stretch for them, and the pen may be a perfect fit for him in the long run. I did hear Boston was making a run at him, I guess he wants to stay a Cub for now at least.

SOXPHILE
11-26-2007, 01:03 PM
I heard it was 4 million for 1 year. If it's only 3 million it's a great deal for the Cubs. He threw the ball well down the stretch for them, and the pen may be a perfect fit for him in the long run. I did hear Boston was making a run at him, I guess he wants to stay a Cub for now at least.

Can you blame him ? Where else but Wrigley could a player as overrated as him, and who as done as little as him, continue to be given the hero worship treatment by thousands of brain dead "fans", who still wear the "GOT WOOD ?" shirts, and wax philosophical about a game he pitched nearly 10 years ago ?

PalehosePlanet
11-26-2007, 01:12 PM
They're just giving him the closer's job? I find that weird.

I bet it's closer-by-committe by mid May.

jabrch
11-26-2007, 01:18 PM
It's fair value for the Cubs and for Wood. But it is also a deal that is likely to yield them little productivity as he has little chance of being healthy for much of the season pitching back to back to backs and being up and down every day.

spiffie
11-26-2007, 01:22 PM
It's fair value for the Cubs and for Wood. But it is also a deal that is likely to yield them little productivity as he has little chance of being healthy for much of the season pitching back to back to backs and being up and down every day.
Piniella has shown a willingness to pitch different guys in the ninth, not just his closer. Even if Wood is called "the closer", I expect you'll see Marmol and Howry, and possibly even Dempster, get a lot of 9th inning chances.

And also, the closer thing is coming from Levine. So who knows if that's really their plan?

veeter
11-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Can you blame him ? Where else but Wrigley could a player as overrated as him, and who as done as little as him, continue to be given the hero worship treatment by thousands of brain dead "fans", who still wear the "GOT WOOD ?" shirts, and wax philosophical about a game he pitched nearly 10 years ago ?Perfectly stated.

whitem0nkey
11-26-2007, 02:28 PM
what is the story with "Balsa".

like how and why was that name given to him?

alohafri
11-26-2007, 03:00 PM
what is the story with "Balsa".

like how and why was that name given to him?

Balsa wood, a wood that can be the foundation of nothing...just like Carrie. Mod edit: DO NOT USE FEMALE NAMES AS AN INSULT!!

Place your bets, place your bets! Wood on the DL by June 3.

Fantosme
11-26-2007, 03:38 PM
It was for $4.2 million, and could be worth up to $7.6 million. Not exactly a hometown discount.

per Rotoworld

Foulke You
11-26-2007, 03:40 PM
MLBtraderumors.com says Wood turned down 2 year deals from the Red Sox and Padres worth $5 mil per year to return to the Cubs. :o: If true, the Cubs must have promised him he'd be the closer or he must really want to stay with his throng of adoring fans in Wrigley Field.:rolleyes:

Wood as a closer will be a disaster. The guy has a history of control trouble and walks in his 1st inning of work. Plus, he takes a long time to get warmed up since he used to be a starter. I don't understand the fascination the Cubs organization and fans have with this guy but if they want to waste $4 million on Wood and watch him fail or get hurt, I'll be here to laugh at them. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Kerry Wood might be the single most overrated player in Chicago sports history.

palehozenychicty
11-26-2007, 03:40 PM
I can't blame Balsa, as people are still thinking that he can pitch. Sad state of baseball's hurlers that he can still get a deal.

Red Barchetta
11-26-2007, 04:11 PM
Out of all the Cub players, I do pull for Kerry Wood. Although a SOX fan, I respected what he accomplished early in his career. Too bad he got hurt (which seems to be a trend with young arms on the north side). He was always straightforward with the media and fans.

I also heard he was the player that smashed Sosa's boom box with a bat in the clubhouse in 2004 after Sosa decided not to show up the last day of the season and the Cubs choked away the wild card. For that act alone, he has my undying respect. :cool:

doublem23
11-26-2007, 04:32 PM
I would be shocked if the Cubs were penciling in this guy to be their closer already, because they of all teams should know what a mistake it is to hedge any sort of plans on his arm.

spawn
11-26-2007, 04:38 PM
I would be shocked if the Cubs were penciling in this guy to be their closer already, because they of all teams should know what a mistake it is to hedge any sort of plans on his arm.
I thought Howry was gonig to be the closer. I think it would be idiotic for the Cubs to count on Wood for that role. My guess is if Howry fails, Marmol will be next in line.

The Critic
11-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Wood will be in the mix for closer along with Howry and Marmol.
They seem to be very high on Marmol to close, but this seems to hedge their bets in case he's not ready.
I don't hate the guy, I hope he does well except against the Sox, Cards and Brewers.

tstrike2000
11-26-2007, 08:46 PM
As Balsa celebrates this Christmas, may visions of Stephen Drew's towering home run off him in the NLDS dance in his head.

Foulke You
11-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Wood will be in the mix for closer along with Howry and Marmol.
They seem to be very high on Marmol to close, but this seems to hedge their bets in case he's not ready.
I don't hate the guy, I hope he does well except against the Sox, Cards and Brewers.
I don't hate Wood the player, I hate the perception that Cubs fans and the media has of him that he is some sort of elite pitcher or USED to be an elite pitcher. The fact remains that Wood has NEVER been an elite pitcher. Wood's best season was '03 and he only won 14 games that year. Elite pitchers like Santana, Beckett, or Sabathia would consider 14 wins to be an avg or below avg year. Wood has had flashes of dominance but never anything prolonged to deserve the adoration he received from the media and Cubs fans. Look how hard Sox fans have been on Garland over the years and he has had far more success at the big league level than Wood.

chaerulez
11-27-2007, 12:21 PM
I don't hate Wood the player, I hate the perception that Cubs fans and the media has of him that he is some sort of elite pitcher or USED to be an elite pitcher. The fact remains that Wood has NEVER been an elite pitcher. Wood's best season was '03 and he only won 14 games that year. Elite pitchers like Santana, Beckett, or Sabathia would consider 14 wins to be an avg or below avg year. Wood has had flashes of dominance but never anything prolonged to deserve the adoration he received from the media and Cubs fans. Look how hard Sox fans have been on Garland over the years and he has had far more success at the big league level than Wood.

Wins are a poor way to a how good a pitcher is. Beckett had 16 wins in 2006 and his ERA was 5.01. Wood might have only had 14 in 2004, but his ERA was 3.20. Roger Clemens went 7-6 with a 2.30 ERA in 2006. In 2003 had Wood been behind a better offense, more stable bullpen or just better luck he could've easily won 20 games. Wood has a string of effective years, but injuries and control problems stopped him from being an elite pitcher not his lack of wins. Not to mention he was overrated because of the hype of that 20 strikeout game.

Foulke You
11-27-2007, 01:06 PM
Wins are a poor way to a how good a pitcher is. Beckett had 16 wins in 2006 and his ERA was 5.01. Wood might have only had 14 in 2004, but his ERA was 3.20. Roger Clemens went 7-6 with a 2.30 ERA in 2006. In 2003 had Wood been behind a better offense, more stable bullpen or just better luck he could've easily won 20 games. Wood has a string of effective years, but injuries and control problems stopped him from being an elite pitcher not his lack of wins. Not to mention he was overrated because of the hype of that 20 strikeout game.
My argument is that Wood has never been an ELITE pitcher. I concur that he has had a couple stretches of being effective but never ELITE. Jon Garland went 18W-10L with a 3.50 E.R.A. in '05, 18W-7L with a 4.51 E.R.A. in '06. This was a very effective stretch for Garland but I don't consider him an elite pitcher. However, Garland was never mentioned breathlessly in the same sentence as Clemens like a certain Kerry Wood was for years in Cubs media/fan circles. This is my beef about Wood, I don't dispute that he was effective for a couple stretches, just never an ELITE pitcher.

WhiteSox5187
11-27-2007, 01:25 PM
My argument is that Wood has never been an ELITE pitcher. I concur that he has had a couple stretches of being effective but never ELITE. Jon Garland went 18W-10L with a 3.50 E.R.A. in '05, 18W-7L with a 4.51 E.R.A. in '06. This was a very effective stretch for Garland but I don't consider him an elite pitcher. However, Garland was never mentioned breathlessly in the same sentence as Clemens like a certain Kerry Wood was for years in Cubs media/fan circles. This is my beef about Wood, I don't dispute that he was effective for a couple stretches, just never an ELITE pitcher.
I agree that Wood was never an elite pitcher (he certainly was a very good pitcher though for awhile) I think the comparisons to Clemens (early on in his career) were because they were both Texas flame throwers who stuck lots of guys out.

On a side note, I've met Kerry Wood and he is an incredibly nice guy. I wish him all the best, except against the Sox.

thedudeabides
11-27-2007, 01:44 PM
Just yesterday morning Phil Rogers wrote it is unlikely the Cubs will sign Wood. :D:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-071125rogers,1,2858536.column?coll=cs-home-headlines

Phil may need to get some new sources.