11-26-2007, 11:22 AM
http://www.armchairgm.com/Rumor_-_Andruw_Jones_to_Fire_Scott_Boras

I don't know much about this web site but saw this rumor

rdwj
11-26-2007, 11:25 AM
looks like a pretty old rumor

gr8mexico
11-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Yeah the rumor looks to be atleast 5 days old. But if it does happens it would be a good thing for baseball. Because players will start to take notice on how much of a A-H*OLE this guy really is.

CLR01
11-26-2007, 11:34 AM
Yeah the rumor looks to be atleast 5 days old. But if it does happens it would be a good thing for baseball. Because players will start to take notice on how much of a A-H*OLE this guy really is.

I hope calling Boras an *******, un-filtered, was worth the 3 days.

btrain929
11-26-2007, 11:34 AM
I would prefer Andruw 20x over Rowand. If this happens, I hope KW would make a serious push for him. He's younger, plays top notch D, and is clearly the best hitter of the big 3 CF's on the market.

Madvora
11-26-2007, 11:49 AM
If he does chose to do this, then this could delay our CF pursuit. I would assume it would take time for him to shop around for another agent he likes, then more time for that agent to get in touch with a few teams that are after Jones.
If he's going to do it, I hope he hurries up.

balke
11-26-2007, 11:55 AM
I would prefer Andruw 20x over Rowand. If this happens, I hope KW would make a serious push for him. He's younger, plays top notch D, and is clearly the best hitter of the big 3 CF's on the market.

I would probably prefer him to Hunter as well. His peak years are far better than Hunter's peak years. And if the Sox wanna play HR ball, might as well go all out. Jones on the top of his game could hit 50 in the Cell. His D isn't as bad as people make it seem either. He's lost a step, so he's only AN elite CFer, as opposed to THE elite CFer now. I'd take it.

spiffie
11-26-2007, 11:55 AM
To be fair, the way he typed it out, it looked like he was censoring himself from calling Boras an ashmole.

showstoppr88
11-26-2007, 12:54 PM

Ya in my opinion I think you are just on an authority high take it easy officer. Im sure ill get rodney king'd now for speaking my mind against a mod but oh well I think the main mods should know it.

DumpJerry
11-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Ya in my opinion I think you are just on an authority high take it easy officer. Im sure ill get rodney king'd now for speaking my mind against a mod but oh well I think the main mods should know it.
Seek, and ye shall find.

voodoochile
11-26-2007, 01:07 PM
Seek, and ye shall find.

No wonder you aren't as fast as me. You take the time to reply first.

Hey Showstopper, fight the power!!!

:dumbass:

SBSoxFan
11-26-2007, 01:41 PM
I hope this is true:

Plus, it sounds like Jones is willing to take a one year contract to "re-establish his value"

A much shorter contract protects both sides, and I would be very interested seeing what he could do in CF for the Sox next year.

jabrch
11-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Yeah the rumor looks to be atleast 5 days old. But if it does happens it would be a good thing for baseball. Because players will start to take notice on how much of a ____ this guy really is.

Everyone knows that. But if Jones would have had a career average year last year, then Boras would have gotten him 6/90 or somoething like that, and Jones would have been thrilled with Boras' work.

Jones should fire himself for hitting like crap next year. oh - wait - the Braves already did that.

Boras will have no problem letting Jones walk. Selling him to some MLB team for a long term, big $ contract would be very hard. And if he happens to underperorm those expectations, it would be a black mark for Boras.

A-Rod doesn't seem upset with Boras' work. Nor are most of his clients who play well.

balke
11-26-2007, 02:15 PM
I think if Jones fired Boras, it would be due to Kenny and Kenny alone. I could see the Sox offering higher pay if they can get Jones to talk to them alone, and saying they won't sign him if he stays with Boras. I think Jones would fit in well on the Southside, and he probably would say yes to a team like this.

Plus, hasn't KW been after him forever?

INSox56
11-26-2007, 02:20 PM
A-Rod doesn't seem upset with Boras' work. Nor are most of his clients who play well.I thought Arod negotiated the deal with NY directly and went around Boras..?

jabrch
11-26-2007, 02:22 PM
I think if Jones fired Boras, it would be due to Kenny and Kenny alone.

I could see the Sox offering higher pay if they can get Jones to talk to them alone, and saying they won't sign him if he stays with Boras.

The Sox are not dumb enough to blatantly violate labor law like that. You can not deny someone representation or deal with them outside of their representative if they don't want. That's just not how it works. If Jones fiores Boras, it will be because he believes that Boras isn't representing his best interest, not so he can open discussions with the Sox about a 1 year deal.

jabrch
11-26-2007, 02:24 PM
I thought Arod negotiated the deal with NY directly and went around Boras..?

That isn't how it happened. After A-Rod opted out, the Steinbrenners SAID that they wouldn't take to Boras until their lawyers and MLBs lawyers promptly reminded them how blatantly against the CBA that is. Suddenly they were all able to sit down together and hammer something out that paid him (at the end of the day) about 30mm per, even with the Yanks not getting the 21mm from Texas.

Do you wonder why NYY was so quick to cave into Alex's demands all of a sudden?

FarWestChicago
11-26-2007, 02:27 PM
That isn't how it happened. After A-Rod opted out, the Steinbrenners SAID that they wouldn't take to Boras until their lawyers and MLBs lawyers promptly reminded them how blatantly against the CBA that is.Do you have a link supporting this scenario? I saw nothing about that. I only saw things about Pay-Rod talking to the Steinbrenners on his own, without Borass, and Borass entering the picture at the end to deal with the paperwork.

INSox56
11-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Do you have a link supporting this scenario? I saw nothing about that. I only saw things about Pay-Rod talking to the Steinbrenners on his own, without Borass, and Borass entering the picture at the end to deal with the paperwork.Yeah that's how I thought it happened as well.

Daver
11-26-2007, 02:30 PM
That isn't how it happened. After A-Rod opted out, the Steinbrenners SAID that they wouldn't take to Boras until their lawyers and MLBs lawyers promptly reminded them how blatantly against the CBA that is.

Can you tell me what section of the CBA that it violates?

jabrch
11-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Do you have a link supporting this scenario? I saw nothing about that. I only saw things about Pay-Rod talking to the Steinbrenners on his own, without Borass, and Borass entering the picture at the end to deal with the paperwork.

Let me take a look...I know I read it somewhere... I've seen it described both ways - just can't find it right now. I'll look later.

Can you tell me what section of the CBA that it violates?

Nope - but it has been explained to me as standard verbiage that you can not require a union member in any union to bargain without representation with the threat of either terminating a contract or not negotiating with them. Daver - do you believe that this sort of activity would be allowed? If Alex chooses to not have representation, that's his choice. But I have never heard of a union that would allow an employer to not use their selected representation if they desire, just because the employer doesn't want to talk to them.

Fenway
11-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Jason Veritek fired him according to NESN last week.

I saw the rage of MLB people in Denver a month ago when the A-Rod story broke....

Boras may never recover from this

Daver
11-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Let me take a look...I know I read it somewhere... I've seen it described both ways - just can't find it right now. I'll look later.

Nope - but it has been explained to me as standard verbiage that you can not require a union member in any union to bargain without representation with the threat of either terminating a contract or not negotiating with them. Daver - do you believe that this sort of activity would be allowed? If Alex chooses to not have representation, that's his choice. But I have never heard of a union that would allow an employer to not use their selected representation if they desire, just because the employer doesn't want to talk to them.

A team saying they will not deal with a certain agent violates no part of the CBA, they basically make no offer to the player, should a player by-pass his agent, there is also no violation, had the team contacted the player they would be violating the CBA, this was not the case in this situation.

voodoochile
11-26-2007, 02:58 PM
A team saying they will not deal with a certain agent violates no part of the CBA, they basically make no offer to the player, should a player by-pass his agent, there is also no violation, had the team contacted the player they would be violating the CBA, this was not the case in this situation.

Does it constitute collusion if the owners collectively agree to shut Boras and thus his clients out?

Sockinchisox
11-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Do you have a link supporting this scenario? I saw nothing about that. I only saw things about Pay-Rod talking to the Steinbrenners on his own, without Borass, and Borass entering the picture at the end to deal with the paperwork.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7446572

The Yankees will be in violation of baseball's collective-bargaining agreement if they exclude agent Scott Boras from their negotiations with his client, Alex Rodriguez.

"That clearly is a violation of the Basic Agreement," Michael Weiner, the general counsel of the players' union, told FOXSports.com on Wednesday.

"Once a player designates an agent, a club cannot refuse to meet with that agent."

FarWestChicago
11-26-2007, 03:05 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7446572That link is irrelevant. Pay-Rod chose to approach the Yankess without Borass. It was his decision.

Daver
11-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Does it constitute collusion if the owners collectively agree to shut Boras and thus his clients out?

Probably not, but that is without re-reading the exact wording of the new CBA.

russ99
11-26-2007, 03:07 PM

That's what he thinks, but no. There's no collective agreement to shut out Boras, there's just a lot of teams that have been burned due to his games and refuse to deal with him unless necessary. In Andruw Jones' case it's mostly Jones poor performance from last year, but Boras' ridiculous "offers" aren't helping market him to teams who have some interest.

I guess it depends. If Jones thinks he can get a big contract close to Boras' inflated numbers he's thrown out, he'll stick with Boras. If it gets to the middle of January without some reasonable (to Boras) offers, he might drop Boras and go with a 1 year deal for a lower base + incentives and try to cash out next offseason.

The telling thing to me if Boras' grip is slipping is if the top kids in next year's draft don't sign with him as their agent. Until that market is shut off to him, Boras can't be stopped. If both the owners and players see Boras' dealings as bad for both groups, perhaps something can be done in the next CBA to reduce his footprint at the draft.

Oblong
11-26-2007, 03:15 PM

I'm pretty sure it would. The owners can't collectively agree to do anything regarding free agents.

jabrch
11-26-2007, 03:45 PM

Ok - that I get...thanks

Flight #24
11-26-2007, 03:48 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7446572

I've seen that quote, it's wrong. It is correct that a club cannot force a player to negotiate directly with them rather than with the agent. Howver, there is nothing in the CBA that forces a team to negotiate with any and all players who wish to negotiate with them. That means all they have to do is say "We don't wish to negotiate with players X,Y,Z....they all happen to be represented by Bora$$".

At that point if the player approaches them, the team is well within their rights. If the CBA excludes a player with an agent from conducting discussions on his own, then it is the player, not the club that is in violation.

Chrisaway
11-26-2007, 07:05 PM
I really dont think Andruw is coming to the White Sox. From what I've seen he is a big "hot dog" and Ozzie doesn't take too kindly to those types.

Sockinchisox
11-26-2007, 07:30 PM
I really dont think Andruw is coming to the White Sox. From what I've seen he is a big "hot dog" and Ozzie doesn't take too kindly to those types.

Ron Santo is that you?

BadBobbyJenks
11-26-2007, 07:42 PM
I believe Andruw had his father work out his last deal, so I assume he would do the same this year and not search for another agent