PDA

View Full Version : Rule 5 Draft Info??

btrain929
11-25-2007, 11:12 PM
Does anybody know who in the White Sox minor leagues (if anyone) is eligible for the Rule 5 Draft that's gonna happen in a few weeks? From what I understand, it's any player that has been signed since age of 19 and has been in the minors for 4 years, or 5 years if they were signed at 18, and is NOT on their team's 40 man roster. From looking around at random players years that they were drafted, it looks like Fernando Hernandez and Thomas Collaro are both guys where their time is up and they aren't on our 40 man. I'm not sure if they are eligible or not, cuz I'm not 100% sure on how it all works. Does anyone know who is eligible to get drafted from us, or where I can find that info?

veeter
11-26-2007, 08:52 AM
According to Rogers, Fernando Hernandez, is being left unprotected.

btrain929
11-26-2007, 11:02 AM
According to who?? Phil Rogers?

If that's the case, I hope he flies under the "White Sox have nobody good in their farm system" radar and stays with us. He's had 2 pretty dominate years back to back in the minors (low ERA, a K/inning, few homers), and followed it up with a 0.00 era in Winter Ball. Plus, he's only 23 and was drafted in the 49th round in '02. If he doesn't get drafted, hopefully this year he'll be in AAA, keep dominating, and get put on the 40 man roster so he can debut in late '08 or '09. I have big hopes for Hernandez and Oneli Perez (also sporting a 0.00 era in Winter Ball).

Here's to rooting for the underdog! :gulp:

DumpJerry
11-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Whomever is picked up on a Rule 5 draft has to be on the 25 man roster or else he goes back to his original team.

Andy Sisco was grabbed by the Royals from the Cubs this way and had to be put on the 25 man roster right away. Many feel that this stunted Sisco's development because he had to play in the Big Show before he was fully ready.

btrain929
11-26-2007, 11:56 AM
True, but that's if he is picked in the Major League portion of the draft. The minor league portion of the draft just bumps them up a level from where they were previously. Plus, all the picks cost a different amount depending on if they will be in the majors, AAA, or AA ($50,000, $12,000, $4,000, respectively). For Fernando Hernandez, if he was drafted in the Major League portion, would go on the 25 man roster next yr. But if someone wanted him on their AAA team, he wouldn't go to a team's 25 man roster, he'd just go to that team's AAA team and on the their 40 man roster.

If I understand it correctly.....

Any other names of people that aren't protected that might get drafted?

Daver
11-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Whomever is picked up on a Rule 5 draft has to be on the 25 man roster or else he goes back to his original team.

This is not always the case. A player selected in the MLB portion of the draft that does not make the teams 25 man roster goes back to his original team if they choose to return the drafting fee, if they choose not to return the fee, he stays with the team that drafted him on the 40 man roster. The Sox acquired Jason Grilli this way, when the Marlins declined to return the drafting fee.

btrain929
11-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Oh, wow, ok. I didn't know the team had the option of NOT returning the fee. That makes sense, though.

A. Cavatica
11-26-2007, 06:29 PM

Andy Sisco was grabbed by the Royals from the Cubs this way and had to be put on the 25 man roster right away. Many feel that this stunted Sisco's development because he had to play in the Big Show before he was fully ready.

Can we give him back to the Cubs now? :D:

russ99
11-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Oh, wow, ok. I didn't know the team had the option of NOT returning the fee. That makes sense, though.

Also there's been some weird cases where players drafted have been part of a trade to keep their rights.

The one that comes to mind is the Astros drafted Willy Tavarez from the Indians in the Major League draft, but a month into the season they wanted to keep him and also send him down to the minors.

So they dealt (flash in the pan) starter Jeriome Robertson to the Indians for his rights and also for Luke Scott. That one worked out pretty well for the Astros.

ND_Sox_Fan
12-03-2007, 11:43 PM
I know who the source is on this article (BA) (http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=674), yet I post it as interesting fodder. I found it when looking for news on the draft, which is coming up on Thursday.

They note that Hernandez continues to build momentum and quotes a GM as saying that Hernandez is "someone to bite on".

oeo
12-03-2007, 11:49 PM
I know who the source is on this article (BA) (http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=674), yet I post it as interesting fodder. I found it when looking for news on the draft, which is coming up on Thursday.

They note that Hernandez continues to build momentum and quotes a GM as saying that Hernandez is "someone to bite on".

I really wish they would have protected him.

Tragg
12-04-2007, 09:04 AM
We should get an early rule 5 pick, right?
Anyone out there for us to bite on?

That article on our guy did say he was considered to have ceiling potential at middle relief. So, you know, not a huge loss.

btrain929
12-04-2007, 10:17 AM
If we don't have any room on our 40 man roster (which we don't), then we don't get to pick in the draft. Unless in the next few days we trade one of our relievers (Aardsma/Masset/Sisco) that's on the 40 man for some minor leaguer that we don't put on the 40 man. I don't even think that makes sense, so I'm pretty sure we won't be drafting anybody.

russ99
12-05-2007, 02:38 PM
If we don't have any room on our 40 man roster (which we don't), then we don't get to pick in the draft. Unless in the next few days we trade one of our relievers (Aardsma/Masset/Sisco) that's on the 40 man for some minor leaguer that we don't put on the 40 man. I don't even think that makes sense, so I'm pretty sure we won't be drafting anybody.

As I recall we can take part in the minor league portion even with a full 40-man roster.

wilburaga
12-06-2007, 09:37 AM
So far, we've lost Fernando Hernandez in the Major League Phase, and Ray Liotta and Ryan Rodriguez in the Minor League Phase.

W

btrain929
12-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Son of a *****. Where did Fernando Hernandez go? Hopefully he'll be brutal in his major league stint and the team will give him back to us so he can keep developing and be a key part of our bullpen in '09-'10 :D:

wilburaga
12-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Son of a *****. Where did Fernando Hernandez go? Hopefully he'll be brutal in his major league stint and the team will give him back to us so he can keep developing and be a key part of our bullpen in '09-'10 :D:

Hernandez went to Oakland, (didn't they take Marshall from us last year?), the Royals took Liotta, and the Orioles took Rodriguez.

In the Minor Leage Phase, the Sox took righthander reliever Santo Luis from the Astros. Lots of strikeouts (99 in 76 innings) is the only stat of his that really stands out.

W

wulfy
12-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Luis Soto (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Santo%20Luis&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=472555)

Big kid - 6'5"

Chez
12-06-2007, 10:04 AM
The Greatest Rule 5 draft pick of all time? Got to be Johan Santana. Any other nominees?

cws05champ
12-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Hernandez went to Oakland, (didn't they take Marshall from us last year?), the Royals took Liotta, and the Orioles took Rodriguez.

In the Minor Leage Phase, the Sox took righthander reliever Santo Luis from the Astros. Lots of strikeouts (99 in 76 innings) is the only stat of his that really stands out.

W

Yes, 2nd time in two years the A's have picked our Minor League BP pitchers...that sucks. I didn't know Liotta was unprotected as well...Wasn't he a top prospect a few years ago?

wilburaga
12-06-2007, 10:10 AM
The Greatest Rule 5 draft pick of all time? Got to be Johan Santana. Any other nominees?

George Bell by Toronto from the Phillies in 1980.

W

soxwon
12-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Triple-A Phase
Pick
Player
Position
Drafted By
Drafted From
2007 Club
1Rashad EldridgeDurham (TB)2Josh HillIndianapolis (PIT)3Ray LiottaOmaha (KC)4Ryan RodriguezNorfolk (BAL)5Juan CiriacoFresno (SF)6Smelin PerezAlbuquerque (FLA)7Juan ApodacaLouisville (CIN)8Santo LuisCharlotte (CWS)9PASSColumbus (WAS)10Giuseppe NorritoRound Rock (HOU)11Levi RomeroOklahoma (TEX)12Jose FragosoSacramento (OAK)13PASSMemphis (STL)14PASSRochester (MIN)15Victor GarateLas Vegas (LAD)16Joe BatemanNashville (MIL)17Marcos CabralSyracuse (TOR)18PASSRichmond (ATL)19PASSIowa (CHC)20PASSTacoma (SEA)21Juan CedenoToledo (DET)22Garry BakkerNew Orleans (NYM)23Gabe DeHoyosPortland (SD)24Patrick SellersLehigh Valley (PHI)25PASSCol. Springs (COL)26PASSTucson (ARI)27PASSSalt Lake (LAA)28Bo HallScranton/WB (NYY)29PASSBuffalo (CLE)30PASSPawtucket (BOS)31Julio PuentesDurham (TB)32Mauricio MendezIndianapolis (PIT)33PASSOmaha (KC)34Tim BrownNorfolk (BAL)35PASSFresno (SF)36Daron RobertsAlbuquerque (FLA)37PASSLouisville (CIN)38PASSCharlotte (CWS)39PASSColumbus (WAS)

btrain929
12-06-2007, 10:21 AM

W

So for the minor league phase, if you pick someone, he doesn't have to be put on the teams 40 man roster? I didn't think we were even drafting cuz we had no room on there.

salty99
12-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Yes, 2nd time in two years the A's have picked our Minor League BP pitchers...that sucks. I didn't know Liotta was unprotected as well...Wasn't he a top prospect a few years ago?

Yes the A's selected Jay Marshall last year, but he ended up on the Red Sox anyway.

rdivaldi
12-06-2007, 10:24 AM
I didn't know Liotta was unprotected as well...Wasn't he a top prospect a few years ago?

Liotta was considered an up and coming prospect two years ago, but then had a miserable season in 2006 and eventually had to be shut down before the season started in 2007. I only saw him pitch two or three times and personally I wasn't all that impressed.

btrain929
12-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Looks like this kid dominated in rookie ball last year, and this past year still gave up less than 1 hit per inning. 12 hrs in 70 something innings is high, but I definitely don't mind seeing these types of moves to see if we can catch lightning in a bottle.

PorkChopExpress
12-06-2007, 11:02 AM

We didn't get a pick because Andy Gonzalez was on the 40-man. That sucks. I would have left him off in order to get a shot at catching lightning in a bottle. I don't care if he was out of options or whatever.

jabrch
12-06-2007, 11:51 AM

#1 - Roberto Clemente - and there can't be any doubt about that.

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Liotta was considered an up and coming prospect two years ago, but then had a miserable season in 2006 and eventually had to be shut down before the season started in 2007. I only saw him pitch two or three times and personally I wasn't all that impressed.

He should have just stuck with acting. :redneck

PorkChopExpress
12-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Yes the A's selected Jay Marshall last year, but he ended up on the Red Sox anyway.

The A's just claimed him off waivers from the Red Sox. They must really like the kid.

Hagan
12-06-2007, 07:52 PM
I really wish the sox would have picked up Shane Lindsay in the 3rd round. He has been plagued by injuries but his stuff is electric.

A. Cavatica
12-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Sox lost four players in the triple-A phase: Liotta, Rodriguez, Garry Bakker, Daron Roberts.

Tragg
12-06-2007, 10:22 PM
I saw LIotta pitch in college and he was terrible.

And why in the world would Andy Gonzalez be on the 40 man? That's the kind of player you pray to lose.