PDA

View Full Version : Black Sox Archive Surfaces

Hitmen77
11-25-2007, 01:47 PM
fyi: the Tribune is report that documents on the scandal have newly surfaced:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-blacksox_bd25nov25,0,1139460.story?coll=chi_tab01_ layout

Vernam
11-25-2007, 03:24 PM
Interesting stuff, and I'm glad the materials' owners are at least making copies available to the Hall of Fame, though originals might end up in a private collector's hands. Nice also that the Trib went to the trouble of creating a Flash-based overview with images of some docs, though they're mostly illegible due to handwriting or size constraints.

Most notable thing that I saw was from an interview with Joe Jackson's wife, who said (only somewhat convincingly) that he claimed not to have done anything to throw a game. Also a statement by Cicotte -- who was being enlisted to testify on Comiskey's behalf in a suit by other Black Sox seeking lost wages -- that the Sox owner had treated his players fairly. This was after a rift between Cicotte and fellow Black Sox who were barnstorming in Wisconsin, caused when he split for home.

What was mentioned in the story but not shown is that a significant portion of the long-missing grand jury testimony is supposedly included in the archive. Pretty odd that there's no clear explanation of how or where the papers were discovered.

Vernam

RedHeadPaleHoser
11-25-2007, 03:52 PM
Interesting find. As the article states, I hope whoever buys it allows historians to go through it and cull historical information out of it.

Imagine finding something like that buried in an atticspace, forgotten about for years. And I thought it was cool I found two perfectly intact newspaper pages folded in a wall from 1952.

DumpJerry
11-25-2007, 06:29 PM
Interesting find. As the article states, I hope whoever buys it allows historians to go through it and cull historical information out of it.

Imagine finding something like that buried in an atticspace, forgotten about for years. And I thought it was cool I found two perfectly intact newspaper pages folded in a wall from 1952.
I'm looking through my attic right now looking for KW's Master Plan for 2008.

Palehose Pete
11-25-2007, 07:05 PM
I don't use this word very often, but this discovery is neat. As a Sox fan, I want to know more about this part of the team's history. I'm glad that these docs are going to be public.

Lip Man 1
11-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Dump:

VERY well done!

:D:

Lip

Rockabilly
11-25-2007, 09:07 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-071125blacksox,1,3027607.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

DumpJerry
11-25-2007, 09:22 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-071125blacksox,1,3027607.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines
The search tutor was not needed here because the original thread was just two threads below yours.:rolleyes:

soxinem1
11-25-2007, 09:50 PM
Talk about cool attic or basement findings:

Many years ago, when my parents moved into their old Victorian in Beverly, we found some old newspapers hanging on nails in the basement.

There are three cellar-like rooms in their basement, and my Dad took down the outer layer from one of the WOODEN walls.

Hanging on the inner portion of the wall were two newspaper pages from 1917, one covering a speech by Woodrow Wilson, the other was a sports page that had brief mention of the White Sox and cubs. Talk about cool! If I remember correctly, as I was about 9-10 at the time, it was from the old Daily News.

Sadly, before we could even touch these neat old clippings, they turned to dust! They just crumbled and disappeared like ashes. The slight breeze from us just did them in.

Finding some old stuff that tells stories is a cool thing, and maybe these documents regarding the 1919 White Sox shed some new information too.

SBSoxFan
11-26-2007, 10:18 AM
According to the sports section of today's South Bend (Indiana) Tribune, a set of documents relating to the 1921 Black Sox trial and 1924 back pay lawsuit are being auctioned by a Chicago auction house. I found a link (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2007-11-25-3475651634_x.htm)at USA Today.

I didn't even know some players sued The Sox for back pay.

edit: Sorry mods, I didn't see the other thread until after the fact. Please merge.

soxwon
11-26-2007, 10:55 AM
We know what happened, it was 87 years ago.
No need to rehash it.

spiffie
11-26-2007, 10:58 AM
We know what happened, it was 87 years ago.
No need to rehash it.
History is for suckers.

Oblong
11-26-2007, 11:37 AM
On the subject.... are there any relevant things that the movie Eight Men Out got wrong? Are there gaps that the film didn't explore?

DumpJerry
11-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Talk about cool attic or basement findings:

Many years ago, when my parents moved into their old Victorian in Beverly, we found some old newspapers hanging on nails in the basement.

There are three cellar-like rooms in their basement, and my Dad took down the outer layer from one of the WOODEN walls.

Hanging on the inner portion of the wall were two newspaper pages from 1917, one covering a speech by Woodrow Wilson, the other was a sports page that had brief mention of the White Sox and cubs. Talk about cool! If I remember correctly, as I was about 9-10 at the time, it was from the old Daily News.

Sadly, before we could even touch these neat old clippings, they turned to dust! They just crumbled and disappeared like ashes. The slight breeze from us just did them in.

Finding some old stuff that tells stories is a cool thing, and maybe these documents regarding the 1919 White Sox shed some new information too.
When I was in grade school, one of my friend's parents bought an old house from the 1800's. It is on the 5700 block of South Harper in Hyde Park. For those of you who are not familiar with the block, it is an amazing collection of very old homes which back up on the Illinois Central railroad tracks. Well, after moving in, my friend found in the attic an original brochure for the homes on the block when they were first build way back when. Two amazing things were observed: at the time, Hyde Park was a far south suburb of Chicago and there were pictures of my friend's home on the lakefront. My friend's home is now over 1 mile from the Lake (the house is straight west from the Museum of Science and Industry past Jackson Park). They had done a massive landfill project in Chicago around 1900 from the Chicago River on south past Hyde Park. The landfill is generally east of the Illinois Central tracks. That's a lot of land!

milrtyme28
11-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Here is the link for the item on Mastronet auctions:

http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=76398&LastLotListing=Lot%20List%20Sports&CurrentRow=1

BainesHOF
11-26-2007, 02:20 PM
Be aware of the 2005 White Sox jerseys being offered in the current Mastro auction. I can't believe they're calling them game used. They're the jerseys the Sox had manufactured and autographed for giveaway/charity purposes.