PDA

View Full Version : Parque says he'll be quiet

Jerry_Manuel
04-16-2002, 01:10 PM
From the Daily SouthTown:

White Sox general manager Ken Williams is tired of hearing about starter Jim Parque, who currently is pitching for Triple-A Charlotte.
Williams says he's tired of reading about Parque and he's tired of hearing him on local radio.

Parque has been saying he is ready to pitch for the big-league club, a stance he has maintained since being optioned to Charlotte during the last week of spring training to work on increasing his velocity.

"He needs to get his head in his (bleep) in the same city," Williams said Monday. "If you want to hear about Jim Parque, all you have to do is pick up a newspaper every day and read about it.

"Not only am I tired of hearing about it, but his teammates are tired of hearing about it. They have a good thing going on in (the clubhouse), and they're tired of hearing about what's been coming from Charlotte."

Parque, a 26-year-old southpaw, had season-ending shoulder surgery last May and spent the offseason rehabbing in hopes of being ready to open the season at the major league level.

"All winter long, I talked about Jim Parque being our No. 3 starter," Williams said.

But that ended shortly after Cactus League games began, as Parque was soon relegated to pitching in minor league "B" games, despite his having made two decent starts in major league games (1-0, 3.60 ERA).

The reason given was that Parque's fastball had dropped to 85 mph, whereas he was throwing 88-89 mph before he was injured.

When asked about which pitchers would break camp, Williams had said, "Ultimately, it's about getting people out."

Parque suggested that he was getting people out. But now that Parque's velocity is up to 87-88 mph, the results he's getting in Charlotte have been less than stellar. On Sunday, Parque allowed one run through five innings but gave up three straight home runs in the sixth, and his record fell to 0-2 with a 7.02 ERA.

"This is about him not being ready yet," Williams said. "We were talking about bringing him up April 10, but a rainout moved things around, besides the fact that he's been ineffective in Triple-A.

"If you're not going to succeed in the (Triple-A) International League, what makes you think you're going to succeed in the American League?"

Of Sox players who were interviewed, none said they were tired of hearing about Parque. But Parque, told of Williams' assessment of the situation, promised to be less of a distraction from now on.
"If I'm really being a distraction for my teammates and they're tired of hearing from me, then I'll just lie in the weeds and say nothing more about it," Parque said. "I don't want to do anything to take the focus from my teammates and what they're trying to do."

baggio202
04-16-2002, 04:27 PM
not that im a fan of parque..but it looks like he will take over sean lowe's spot as kw's favorite whipping boy...williams is a real ass...

Nellsin
04-16-2002, 04:47 PM
I dunno, seems like Parque brings some of it on himself . . . Lowe never had his own column. Not that a player shouldn't be able to write/talk to the press etc. but if he's not doing it on the field, KW's point is well taken. If you're convinced you're ready why not just demonstrate it to all through perfomance? It'd be different if Parque was soldiering on and out of nowhere Williams criticizes his progress. But to read each day about the ongoing hostage crisis in Charlotte probably does get old for a GM.

duke of dorwood
04-16-2002, 06:07 PM
This is simply a rehab assignment-he just doesnt see it that way. Many players coming off injury go down to lower levels than triple A, do their rehab, and come back. I think the sooner he gets that mind set he will be back-then we can do the same with Barcelo-he has nothing.

Mathew
04-16-2002, 06:48 PM
But if his performance is good and his velosity is back to where it should be, he is within reason to voice his concern, due to the fact that if he is KW's target of misaffection, then he won't be given the opportunity to demonstrate his position through performance alone.

Vsahajpal
04-16-2002, 10:49 PM
Isn't part of Kenny Williams job, damage control? Shouldn't he have kept this matter in-house? He mentions they have a good thing going on in the clubhouse, as of now, Jim Parque is not part of that clubhouse, so why jeopardize it?

Nellsin
04-16-2002, 11:04 PM
Shouldn't he have kept this matter in-house?

What if he tried, and Parque keeps running his mouth? KW has said in other situations that it should stay inside, which makes me suspect he might have sent an earlier, quiet message that Parque ignored. Hasn't Parque shown an inability to shut the hell up in the past? He's in rehab, based on performance stats he's apparently not ready to come up, but even if some think he is the big league club is winning lots of games, they're in a crucial series with the red-hot Clevelands, things are looking up amid a crucial tone-setting opening home stand, and then you have to see him whining in print? It'd try the patience of a saint, which I'm not suggesting KW is.

baggio202
04-17-2002, 06:32 AM
last year in the middle of the wells-siro fiasco williams flies of the handle in a semi-fit of rage caught on tv where he refers to siro as shouldergate..promting a response from siro that ends up having williams make a public apoligy

after sean lowe in '00 steps up to the plate with 4 quality starts out of 6 when siro was the only heathly pitcher we had down the stretch then in april of '01 williams sends him to the minors calling him the 11th pitcher on an 11 man staff...a move that jerry manuel was so upset about he refused to tell lowe he got sent down and wouldnt even be present in the meeting and KW had to do it..and thats how he did it...at the time..lowe had an era of 3.45 and two other pitchers on the team had era's over 9..

he ripped baldwin a new one when he traded him to LA...hinting along the lines that it was like baldwin was robbing the sox of the 6 mil dollar contract they agreed to pay him because of his injury and what williams said was a poor performance...if memory serve me right..baldwin won his last 4 decisions with the sox prior to that trade...he also said something along the lines that baldwin was only a bridge to better pitchers that were ready to step up so he was no longer needed....baldwin now said would never consider pitching for the sox again and has been in conference with ray durham telling him other orgs take care of their players alot better than williams does and not to resign with us...

to me..willliams certianly doesnt seem to play well with others..if you question anything this man does he will use his authority to the fullest extent to make his point...regaurdless of consequences...

should a GM be this...whats the word...combative with his employees???...when these guys move on to other teams im sure when they talk to their teammates who might be free agents in the near future they are not saying positives about us....that cant be good if we are trying to land a key free agent