PDA

View Full Version : Joe Kennedy dead at 28

ViPeRx007
11-23-2007, 12:39 PM
http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/mlb/index

Doesn't say what happened to him yet. Either way that's pretty sad.

rowand33
11-23-2007, 12:51 PM
http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/mlb/index

Doesn't say what happened to him yet. Either way that's pretty sad.

Agreed. Terrible that it happened right in the holiday season.

Condolensces to his family.

jabrch
11-23-2007, 02:28 PM
So cross him off the list

Condolences to the family...

JermaineDye05
11-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Sad sad story, especially since it's happening right after Thanksgiving. Imagine how much of an effect this will have on baseball if we find out his name was on the Mitchell report. This could end up being another Ken Caminiti like tragedy.

The Thomenator
11-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Sad sad story, especially since it's happening right after Thanksgiving. Imagine how much of an effect this will have on baseball if we find out his name was on the Mitchell report. This could end up being another Ken Caminiti like tragedy.

It could also have absolutely nothing to do with drugs.

HomeFish
11-23-2007, 04:41 PM

As tempting as it is to fall into hardcore cynicism about baseball and steroids, I think that fundamental decency and respected for the deceased and his family should prohibit us from jumping to conclusions without any information.

JermaineDye05
11-23-2007, 04:41 PM

Yes I know. Either way it's still a tragedy. I wasn't trying to start a controversy and say 'Kennedy was on steroids and that's what killed him'. I was just stating that it could have a big effect on baseball IF that was the case. It's still a tragedy and the cause of death is unknown right now, it could have been a heart attack or a brain aneurysm for all I know.

KRS1
11-23-2007, 04:43 PM

Indeed. It's a sad thing that now whenever I hear of a reasonably young athlete dying, doping is always going to be brought up. I would love if instead of speculating, people could just accept it as a terrible tragedy and wait for official word to come out. This is very sad for everyone that knew him, especially his family during a time that is supposed to be cheerful and bring everyone together.

guillen4life13
11-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Yes I know. Either way it's still a tragedy. I wasn't trying to start a controversy and say 'Kennedy was on steroids and that's what killed him'. I was just stating that it could have a big effect on baseball IF that was the case. It's still a tragedy and the cause of death is unknown right now, it could have been a heart attack or a brain aneurysm for all I know.

Those are the only two things brought up by in the ESPN.com article as possible causes of death.

It's sad to see someone his age die. I hope for the best for his wife and one year old son. I hope there was no foul play involved as well.

SoxyStu
11-23-2007, 05:53 PM

You won't. If MLB has any class at all, it will omit his name, IF it is even there.

KRS1
11-23-2007, 06:09 PM
You won't. If MLB has any class at all, it will omit his name, IF it is even there.

I hate to get into the steroid argument, but I really disagree with this. They are journalists first and foremost, and their job is to tell the story(especially if it is true). It would be fair to do so because when someone makes the decision to do something like this, they know full-well the possible consequences of their actions, and if things go wrong they can only blame themselves. Not to mention it could point kids in the right direction by showing the negative affects it can have on their lives.

SoxyStu
11-23-2007, 06:35 PM
I hate to get into the steroid argument, but I really disagree with this. They are journalists first and foremost, and their job is to tell the story(especially if it is true). It would be fair to do so because when someone makes the decision to do something like this, they know full-well the possible consequences of their actions, and if things go wrong they can only blame themselves. Not to mention it could point kids in the right direction by showing the negative affects it can have on their lives.

You make a reasonable point about the good that could come from his death if it was due to steroids. I do not understand who you state are journalists first and foremost? MLB?

If no foul play is involved, wouldn't it be the family's decision on what information is released? Tough decision...

KRS1
11-23-2007, 06:43 PM
You make a reasonable point about the good that could come from his death if it was due to steroids. I do not understand who you state are journalists first and foremost? MLB?

If no foul play is involved, wouldn't it be the family's decision on what information is released? Tough decision...

My bad, I made a mistake in my of reading your post. Simple as that. I for some reason just associated the MLB release of the list with the press, and that was my bad. Either way, the MLB owes it to everyone to release the entire list(IMO), and should feel obligated to tell the full truth, no matter how ugly, after everything that has occurred in this scandal.

The thing about the example to those who are considering using steroids is still the same though.

SoxyStu
11-23-2007, 07:01 PM
My bad, I made a mistake in my of reading your post. Simple as that. I for some reason just associated the MLB release of the list with the press, and that was my bad. Either way, the MLB owes it to everyone to release the entire list(IMO), and should feel obligated to tell the full truth, no matter how ugly, after everything that has occurred in this scandal.

The same thing about the example to those who are considering using steroids is still the same though.

No worries...I wasn't trying to be ****ty. If I am understanding you correctly though, then I disagree that MLB's scandal supersedes whatever his family's wishes are, however ugly the "truth" is. Baseball was his job, MLB his employer, nothing more.

We'll probably discussing over moot anyhow :D

Navarro's Talent
11-23-2007, 09:23 PM
This is really unfortunate. It's even sadder under the circumstances: he was going to be the best man at a wedding today.

R.I.P.

Hitmenof77
11-25-2007, 08:42 AM

I harldly consider Caminit's death a tragedy. He died of a drug overdose. In other words he caused his own death. That's not a tragedy, that's stupidity.

Mike Darr an OF for the Padres killed himself by getting behind the wheel after a night of drinking. That's not a tragedy, that's stupidity.