PDA

View Full Version : Seriously Phil?

fusillirob1983
11-22-2007, 11:25 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-071122rogers,1,787850.column?coll=cs-home-headlines

Hunter never seemed like a fit in Chicago. He hadn't heard real good things from his two Minnesota friends with Chicago experience, Jacque Jones and LaTroy Hawkins.

This is unrelated to whether Torii signed here or not. It's just about Phil being Phil. He's not making anything up, but let's just omit the key piece of information from Torii's quote.

pierzynski07
11-22-2007, 11:36 PM
What was the quote?

fusillirob1983
11-22-2007, 11:42 PM
What was the quote?

Sorry about that. It was from this article on the Sox website a couple days back.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071120&content_id=2305033&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

The guys Hunter refers to in the quote below are Jones and Hawkins.

"Two reasons: I'm a different person than those guys, and my game is different than those guys," Hunter said. "And I'm not with the Cubs. It's the White Sox. That's totally different."

Jerry_Manuel
11-22-2007, 11:52 PM
Right, Phil. If the Sox offered 5/90 he would've turned it down because Cub fans crapped on 2 players. It's not like Hunter played here 10 times a year or anything...:rolleyes:

Pasqua's Mailman
11-22-2007, 11:56 PM
It sounds like Phil has some serious man love for Rowand... if he doesn't like $18 million a year for Hunter what does he think about $15 million for Rowand? Talk about not much bang for the buck...

pierzynski07
11-23-2007, 12:07 AM
The two players that were signed as free agents form the Twins were huge busts.

Typical Phil.

fquaye149
11-23-2007, 12:20 AM
Nothing Phil Rogers writes anymore surprises me. IMO he's about as bad as the moron--although to Phil's credit, at least he sort of does research....he just distorts it to prove his asinine points (i.e. McCarthy is a proven starter)

thomas35forever
11-23-2007, 12:46 AM
Hawkins was a huge bust and Jones never fully lived up to his expectations. I don't see how this relates to Hunter because both of the above played for the other team in town. Tell Phil to shut up already.

areilly
11-23-2007, 01:09 AM
The two players that were signed as free agents form the Twins were huge busts.

Typical Phil.

He omits Pierzynski as well: AJP was only one year removed from his time in the Twin Cities and he seems to be doing just fine on the South Side.

WhiteSox5187
11-23-2007, 01:37 AM
Having read the article, I don't think Phil is saying anything that bad. He's saying that the Sox need a new LF and CF, I agree with this, don't you? That we're going to have a hard time getting FAs because of our prior monetary commitment to Uribe and Jose. That Rowand is a descent CF and is not awful. And that Hunter is a bit over payed.

In fact, the only thing I disagree with was his statement that the bullpen wasn't a major factor in our downfall. It cost us eighteen games last year, the difference between ninety wins and ninety losses. Seems like much ado about nothing here.

fusillirob1983
11-23-2007, 02:00 AM
Having read the article, I don't think Phil is saying anything that bad. He's saying that the Sox need a new LF and CF, I agree with this, don't you? That we're going to have a hard time getting FAs because of our prior monetary commitment to Uribe and Jose. That Rowand is a descent CF and is not awful. And that Hunter is a bit over payed.

In fact, the only thing I disagree with was his statement that the bullpen wasn't a major factor in our downfall. It cost us eighteen games last year, the difference between ninety wins and ninety losses. Seems like much ado about nothing here.

I didn't disagree with the rest of the article. The part I disagreed with is that Phil used Jones' and Hawkins' experiences as evidence to back up his assertion that Torii isn't a good fit for Chicago, even though Torii's response to being questioned about Jones' and Hawkins' experiences specifically stated that Jones and Hawkins were bad comparisons.

Man, if I tried to pull something like that in my job, someone would ask me what I'm talking about, how's it relevant, to clarify my point, etc.

fquaye149
11-23-2007, 02:50 AM
I didn't disagree with the rest of the article. The part I disagreed with is that Phil used Jones' and Hawkins' experiences as evidence to back up his assertion that Torii isn't a good fit for Chicago, even though Torii's response to being questioned about Jones' and Hawkins' experiences specifically stated that Jones and Hawkins were bad comparisons.

Man, if I tried to pull something like that in my job, someone would ask me what I'm talking about, how's it relevant, to clarify my point, etc.

The Chicago Sports Media has no interest in quality control, just sensationalist crap and garbage tabloid bull****

veeter
11-23-2007, 10:25 AM
I didn't mind the article. I thought he was saying, it's o.k. you missed out on Hunter because he was too damn expensive. I'll admit, I was hoping to get Hunter too. But big free agent signings for the Sox have really never worked out. In my lifetime the best aquisition they made was through a trade. And ironically, it was the big name that they got rid of, for some, noodle arm left fielder that could steal a ton of bases. I say, stay the course, keep looking for bullpen help.