PDA

View Full Version : Why not bring Freddy back?

twinsuck1
11-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Seriously, why not bring Freddy Garcia back? What do you think?

TheCommander
11-22-2007, 12:13 PM

:tealpolice:
"I thought with this being a holiday,our workload would be minimal.You did mean to use teal,right?"

twinsuck1
11-22-2007, 12:16 PM
You trust Gavin Floyd more than a Freddy Garcia? Would you rather pick up Colon?

MUsoxfan
11-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Is there a full moon today or something? Hunter goes to the Angels and everyone around here loses common sense

TheCommander
11-22-2007, 12:21 PM
You trust Gavin Floyd more than a Freddy Garcia? Would you rather pick up Colon?

I never said any such thing. For the record,I wouldn't want Freddy or Colon back.

Rockabilly
11-22-2007, 12:21 PM
I believe I read somewhere that Garcia is out till the all-star break...

Sockinchisox
11-22-2007, 12:32 PM

He's not going to be ready until June.

Frater Perdurabo
11-22-2007, 01:44 PM
For the right price, I'd take a flyer on both Garcia and Colon.

HaroMaster87
11-22-2007, 01:49 PM

ummmm....b cuz he has one arm...and it's NOT the one he normally pitches with

Ziggy S
11-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Colon, possibly. Freddy=C ya later

fquaye149
11-22-2007, 09:05 PM
For the right price, I'd take a flyer on both Garcia and Colon.

If the price for Garcia is Non-roster invite, totally...

EndemicSox
11-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Because, in all likelyhood, he is out of bullets, so to speak...

Nevertheless, it doesn't hurt to bring him to camp, maybe he has been taking some miracle drug that repairs significant shoulder damage.

fquaye149
11-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Because, in all likelyhood, he is out of bullets, so to speak...

Nevertheless, it doesn't hurt to bring him to camp, maybe he has been taking some miracle drug that repairs significant shoulder damage.

Maybe he's been training with Roger Clemens and Scammy Sosa

thomas35forever
11-23-2007, 07:31 PM
Freddy has done everything he can for us. It's time to move on. Getting him back would pretty much mean that the Phils got nothing in that trade.

guillen4life13
11-24-2007, 03:10 AM
Freddy has done everything he can for us. It's time to move on. Getting him back would pretty much mean that the Phils got nothing in that trade.

So? For Garcia it's a cheap investment that could bring great rewards. I don't mean to draw another comparison to 2005 because it's the 2007-2008 offseason, but this could work out like the Duque acquisition. Or he tanks and can't do it anymore, in which case the Sox would probably have not paid that much and can eat the cost.

I'd say for either of those two pitchers, sign them to incentive based contracts. If they get back to where they were or close before their injuries, the Sox are set with a starter for a year. If not, you haven't lost too much.

dwalteroo
11-24-2007, 03:55 PM
I read that Garcia won't be coming back until at least June, and maybe the All-Star break. His agent might be trying to pull a Clemens. A half-season with a torn-labrum-surgery guy just doesn't do it for me.

Fenway
11-24-2007, 04:03 PM
Mets want him it seems

Mets eyeing Big Freddy Garcia (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2007/11/24/2007-11-24_mets_interested_in_freddy_garcia.html)

The Mets tried to trade for Freddy Garcia last December, but the Phillies made a better offer and got the righty from the White Sox. Now that Garcia is a free agent, they've called his representative several times to discuss signing him.

Jurr
11-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Mets want him it seems

Mets eyeing Big Freddy Garcia (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2007/11/24/2007-11-24_mets_interested_in_freddy_garcia.html)

The Mets tried to trade for Freddy Garcia last December, but the Phillies made a better offer and got the righty from the White Sox. Now that Garcia is a free agent, they've called his representative several times to discuss signing him.
The mets would go after him. Baffling.

palehozenychicty
11-24-2007, 10:45 PM
The mets would go after him. Baffling.

For some reason, they just don't believe in Humber and Pelfrey. It is pitiful, that they won't give those guys significant time to throw in the pen at least. That's why they collapsed, with an ancient starting rotation and taxed pen. They'd do good by going after Haren, et al.

rowand33
11-24-2007, 10:52 PM
I feel that we need to sign a reclamation project pitcher, but Freddy isn't it.

In my mind, the order goes:

Colon
Benson
Clement

then maybe Freddy.

I'd also consider the following guys that are bad but have upside:

Kyle Lohse
Ramon Ortiz
Paul Wilson
John Thomson
Josh Fogg.

I feel we need to sign a vet in order to compete with the kids.

the1tab
11-24-2007, 11:33 PM
I feel that we need to sign a reclamation project pitcher, but Freddy isn't it.

Colon
Benson
Clement

then maybe Freddy.

I'd also consider the following guys that are bad but have upside:

Kyle Lohse
Ramon Ortiz
Paul Wilson
John Thomson
Josh Fogg.

I feel we need to sign a vet in order to compete with the kids.

LOL. You said Josh Fogg.

I would swap that order and look at Matt Clement a little higher than the rest of the list. He's played for some winners (Cubs withstanding) and, unlike Colon and Benson, isn't a huge question mark between the ears and elbows.

There are a few names you failed to mention that intrigue me, though:

Livan Hernandez
Jason Jennings
Jeff Weaver
Casey Fossum
Randy Wolf

Fossum & Weaver intrigue me because of their age and their stuff. While Weaver fails the test by which I dismissed Colon and Benson, Fossum is someone that could come in w/ some stuff from the left side. Livan would be an innings hog making up for Garland's 200+ that just disappeared. Jason Jennings put up some good numbers in Colorado before he got hurt in Houston last year. He might be a cheap contract if we needed to fill a spot. Ditto that on Wolf.

Lohse... no. He's intriguing because he has been healthy - something nobody on the list has done.

Lip Man 1
11-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Jeff Weaver was originally drafted by the Sox (in the 2nd round I think) but refused to sign because the Sox wouldn't meet his price.

At the time his agent was Scott Boras, I don't know if he still is but given the history between Weaver and the Sox (remember the brawl in April 2000) I'd be shocked if anything developed.

Lip

Brian26
11-25-2007, 12:29 AM

Colon

You have to keep in mind that Kenny has a long memory, and Colon sort of slapped the Sox in the face after they offered him the richest contract for any pitcher in their history after '03. Reinsdorf wasn't handing out contracts like Halloween candy back then. I wonder if they would even consider Colon.

rowand33
11-25-2007, 03:03 PM
apparently, we don't have any interest in Clement:

from rotoworld:

The Blue Jays, Padres, Indians, Diamondbacks, Rockies and Pirates are the six teams to have contacted agent Barry Axelrod about free agent Matt Clement.

It appears that the Jays have been the most aggressive suitor so far. Still, Clement might prefer to return to the West Coast, and while he might be able to get a better deal from Toronto than from San Diego now, he'd have a better chance of landing a big contract next winter after a year in Petco, rather than the AL East.

The reason I didn't mention Hernandez, Jennings, or Wolf is because those guys will be too expensive and we'd haev to guarantee them a roster spot.

I didn't mention Weaver because the guy really sucks. A lot of those guys I mentioned suck; Weaver takes the word to a whole new level.

I would love Livan Hernandez to be in a white sox uniform.

Tragg
11-25-2007, 03:08 PM
I would swap that order and look at Matt Clement a little higher than the rest of the list. He's played for some winners (Cubs withstanding) and, unlike Colon and Benson, isn't a huge question mark between the ears and elbows.
He was petrified in game 1.

FedEx227
11-25-2007, 03:58 PM
One of these days White Sox won't clamor for every single player from the 2005 team and hopefully move on.

No Freddy Garcia please.