PDA

View Full Version : A reply from the White Sox about the 7th inning stretch

Konerkofan
04-16-2002, 12:00 PM
I sent an email to the white sox complaining about the 7th inning stretch and this is what she said back to me.

I guess this would have to be taken up with MLB...

Dear Ms. Cullotta,

I am writing in response to your recent email regarding the seventh inning
stretch.

The reason that "God Bless America" is still sung during the seventh inning
stretch is because Major League Baseball has decided to continue this practice
indefinitely. All Major League Baseball organizations (with the exception of
the Cubs) are following this requirement. Major League Baseball also indicated
that we have the moment of silence on Opening Day and on our first home night
game, this evening, we have another moment of silence at 9:11pm. I certainly
understand why you feel the practice should be discontinued and, please know,
I'll forward your concerns along to MLB.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to write
again. Otherwise, we look forward to having you out at the ballpark this
summer!

Sincerely,

Anne Wheat
Coordinator of Guest Services

Dadawg_77
04-16-2002, 12:22 PM
Whats the address? I hate that damn song, and I will like to write them and MLB to ask that they please bring back Take Me Out to the Ballgame.

Viva Magglio
04-16-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Konerkofan
I sent an email to the white sox complaining about the 7th inning stretch and this is what she said back to me.

I guess this would have to be taken up with MLB...

Dear Ms. Cullotta,

I am writing in response to your recent email regarding the seventh inning
stretch.

The reason that "God Bless America" is still sung during the seventh inning
stretch is because Major League Baseball has decided to continue this practice
indefinitely. All Major League Baseball organizations (with the exception of
the Cubs) are following this requirement. Major League Baseball also indicated
that we have the moment of silence on Opening Day and on our first home night
game, this evening, we have another moment of silence at 9:11pm. I certainly
understand why you feel the practice should be discontinued and, please know,
I'll forward your concerns along to MLB.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to write
again. Otherwise, we look forward to having you out at the ballpark this
summer!

Sincerely,

Anne Wheat
Coordinator of Guest Services

It's time to move on from September 11th. It was a good jesture during the last month of the season, but it's time to let it go. Yet, I like that jab at the Cubs for not singing God Bless America.

foulkesfan11
04-16-2002, 12:54 PM
This is about the only time I will applaud the Cubs organization for something. I wonder if they will get in trouble for it.

Everyone, email MLB! We want out 7th inning stretch back!

nut_stock
04-16-2002, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't care if we played God Bless America for the rest of the season. I used to always get sick of take me out to the ballgame.
But anyways, it's a nice display of patriotism, afterall this is Ameria's past-time. We can resume TMOTTBG next season.

nut_stock
04-16-2002, 01:10 PM
Now that I think about it, last friday night at Busch Stadium, they sang both songs.

Konerkofan
04-16-2002, 01:25 PM
I got the email address from this web page:
http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/help/cws_help_contact_us.jsp

not sure if that link wi'll work, but just go to whitesox's home page and at the way bottom, there's a part whrere it says contact us, it's the same way on MLB's home page.

Yeah, I can't believe the flubs actually did something right by going back to Take me out to the ballgame.

Imagine the little kids who can't wait to get there and sing the song, I know if my nephew went to the game, he'd be devastated if they didn't play it

foulkesfan11
04-16-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
I wouldn't care if we played God Bless America for the rest of the season. I used to always get sick of take me out to the ballgame.
But anyways, it's a nice display of patriotism, afterall this is Ameria's past-time. We can resume TMOTTBG next season.

OK Nut,

It would be one thing if someone actually sang the song decent. Patriotism is a good thing, but THAT'S WHY WE SING THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER AND/OR THE CANADIEN NATIONAL ANTHEM BEFORE EVERY GAME!!!

foulkesfan11
04-16-2002, 01:36 PM
THE ADDRESS TO WRITE TO MLB TO COMPLAIN IS THE FOLLOWING:

OFFICE OF THE COMMISSIONER OF BASEBALL
245 PARK AVENUE
NEW YORK, NY 10167

Join me in flooding their mailboxes!

Konerkofan
04-16-2002, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the address, I'll write them a letter, do they have an email address that you know of?

Unregistered
04-16-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
Now that I think about it, last friday night at Busch Stadium, they sang both songs.

Yeah, at Yankee Stadium they play the old GBA recording, THEN sing take me out to the ballgame, and THEN play that stupid-ass "cotton-eye joe" song... all in all its about an 8 minute mid-inning stretch.

Konerkofan
04-16-2002, 02:45 PM
That's funny that they play the "cotton-eye joe" song.
I liked it when they did the ballgame song then YMCA song,

As long as they don't bring back "stephan"
he was terrible!

Chisox353014
04-16-2002, 03:26 PM
Y'know it could be a LOT worse. They could be playing that John Ashcroft song - 'Let the Eagles Soar'.

MarqSox
04-16-2002, 03:33 PM
I don't know what PHG's stance on this issue is, but I would suggest a link somewhere on WSI to the MLB e-mail address so we can flood their inbox with pleas for TMOTTB.

Kilroy
04-16-2002, 03:42 PM
That's funny that they play the "cotton-eye joe" song.
I liked it when they did the ballgame song then YMCA song,

As long as they don't bring back "stephan"
he was terrible!

Not DJ Joe Stephen!! Man, If I had a nickel for every time I wanted to kick the **** outta that guy, it'd make the big-game jackpot look like chump change.

He was the absolute worst. Once after one of his crappy dugout dances he comes down starts up the stairs and as he's passing, he looks at us and says "Hey, did ya like that??" and my buddy just looks at him and says "Man, I can't tell you how much that sucked..." He just kept on going. The immediate surrounding area broke into applause and high fives.

MarqSox
04-16-2002, 03:42 PM
Are the Expos and Blue Jays singing God Bless America? Because that would weird. No wonder the rest of the world hates the U.S., we're constantly reminding everyone how arrogant we are.

the scorekeeper
04-16-2002, 03:43 PM
I wrote my note to these two addresses, and copied my season-ticket rep. He replied pretty quickly (and positively) and said he would pass it along....

fanfeedback@whitesox.mlb.com
fanfeedback@website.mlb.com

Here's what I wrote, feel free to crib:

Dear White Sox,

It's time that we move on. God Bless America is a lovely piece of music which does a very good job of conveying the spirit that grew so quickly last September in response to the terrorist attacks on our nation. That said, it's been 7 months, it's a new season, and it's time that we go back to honoring the traditions that make baseball great.

I understand and agree with the idea of singing one more time on opening day, and I appreciate the gesture (even at this late point) of a moment of silence at 9:11 this evening. But let us end it there. The national anthem at the start of the game is symbol enough, and the sort of mandated patriotism that MLB seems intent on imposing now seems tacky.

It is my intention to lead my section in a nice round of Take Me Out to the Ballgame tonight, as I did on Sunday and others did yesterday. I hope that you allow Nancy to join us on the organ, and (as difficult as this may be to say) that you follow the lead of the Cubs by returning to the normal rhythms and patterns of the game.

I'll be out at the park all this week to see what happens.

Konerkofan
04-16-2002, 04:25 PM
My dad used to rip on Stephan all the time, he came up to me and my sister in the bar one time and we looked at him and told him to get the hell out of the ballpark - he sucks!

Good question about the Canadian teams!
they probably do sing it though ?????

I will flood their emails as well :D:

baggio202
04-16-2002, 04:25 PM
mrs. cullotta???.....do you have a son named tommy???...if you do..we are neighbors:)

Konerkofan
04-16-2002, 04:28 PM
Hey Baggio - Nope, no kids for me (yet)
There are 3 Cullotta's on this board though, and none of us are familiar w/ a Tommy Cullotta.

That's funny!

foulkesfan11
04-16-2002, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the address, I'll write them a letter, do they have an email address that you know of?

On the MLB homepage, Click on help/Contact. Then there's a bunch of addresses to choose from.

foulkesfan11
04-16-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
mrs. cullotta???.....do you have a son named tommy???...if you do..we are neighbors:)

I'm a Cullotta too. I don't know of any tommy's either.

NorthSideConvert
04-16-2002, 06:21 PM
When we play the Expos, I hope "O Canada" is sung in French.

NSC

Mathew
04-16-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by NorthSideConvert
When we play the Expos, I hope "O Canada" is sung in French.

NSC

I hope it isn't, it should be sung in both official languages, I sing it in both languges whenever I sing the anthem. I don't know if you guy have ever heard the song of the Blue Jays, I don't know now but, in years past the Jays song went.....

PA
Okay!
OKay (clap) (clap)
PA
Blue Jays!
Blue Jays (clap) (clap)
All
Let's play ball!!!

They had a stupid dance aerobics thing too it was insane.

the scorekeeper
04-16-2002, 11:15 PM
More follow-up on the Sox response to our inquiries....

I spoke to a customer service manager(?) after the game. She showed me the memo from Sandy Alderson (spelling?) directing the teams to play God Bless America until further notice.

Apparently, we ought to be writing notes to his attention, though a copy to the Sox with Jerry and Kenny's names on it wouldn't hurt.

Good show with the singing, by the way. I heard at least 4 groups working on it between the fights and flashing....