PDA

View Full Version : Time to move on?

SouthSideLove
11-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Kenny Williams was thrown a curveball last night with the Torri Hunter/Angels signing. Kenny, we appreciated the effort, but so far this offseason you have swung and missed every time.

Williams has blown $4.5 million on a fat ass shortstop, that ultimately we didn't need (since we traded away Garland for Cabrera, which may be his only shining moment thus far this winter and is a statement that isn't saying much). Williams just signed a 30 something year old reliever in Linebrink, who, as of late, is throwing beach balls into the plate. And did I mention the OF situation.

Sox fans...the time has come to move on. I don't care if we still have the nucleus of the World Series team. 2005 is over, and since then we have seen two World Series Champions, one of which only one 83 games two years ago. We really need to consider rebuilding this franchise from a younger model. I say you keep Buehrle, and trade everyone else away for great young talent, and rebuild our depleted farm system.

I love this era of Sox baseball, as much as anyone, but I really think that Williams is off his rocker at this point, and we need to consider a complete cosmetic makeover of this team, from the bottom up, uniforms and all.

Thoughts?

itsnotrequired
11-22-2007, 09:48 AM
:rolling:

Palehose Pete
11-22-2007, 09:49 AM
:?:

Mots09
11-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Kenny Williams was thrown a curveball last night with the Torri Hunter/Angels signing. Kenny, we appreciated the effort, but so far this offseason you have swung and missed every time.

Williams has blown $4.5 million on a fat ass shortstop, that ultimately we didn't need (since we traded away Garland for Cabrera, which may be his only shining moment thus far this winter and is a statement that isn't saying much). Williams just signed a 30 something year old reliever in Linebrink, who, as of late, is throwing beach balls into the plate. And did I mention the OF situation.

Sox fans...the time has come to move on. I don't care if we still have the nucleus of the World Series team. 2005 is over, and since then we have seen two World Series Champions, one of which only one 83 games two years ago. We really need to consider rebuilding this franchise from a younger model. I say you keep Buehrle, and trade everyone else away for great young talent, and rebuild our depleted farm system.

I love this era of Sox baseball, as much as anyone, but I really think that Williams is off his rocker at this point, and we need to consider a complete cosmetic makeover of this team, from the bottom up, uniforms and all.

Thoughts?

Huh? :gulp: Drinky

itsnotrequired
11-22-2007, 09:50 AM
:?:

I just couldn't keep my mouth shut. I made a dirty joke once, so I had to repeat myself. It cost me three days' vacation.

SouthSideLove
11-22-2007, 09:54 AM
You have anything to add....Oh yeah, wait, you're counting up concession stand trips. Really fascinating stuff

itsnotrequired
11-22-2007, 09:56 AM
You have anything to add....Oh yeah, wait, you're counting up concession stand trips. Really fascinating stuff

What more needs to be said? We should all agree to disband and support other teams.

SouthSideLove
11-22-2007, 09:57 AM
Might as well try and do something...This offseason has been pathetic. I don't care if it is early, we should be way more aggressive than the Scott Linebrink deals of the world.

Mots09
11-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Might as well try and do something...This offseason has been pathetic. I don't care if it is early, we should be way more aggressive than the Scott Linebrink deals of the world.

Southside who is out there that you want so bad? Please shed some light.

itsnotrequired
11-22-2007, 10:00 AM

I heard KW is currently sleeping 20 hours a day and hasn't been doing anything to improve the team this offseason. The lack of any deals clearly proves this.

Now he'll eat a bunch of turkey and pass out until Sunday. Such a waste...

spiffie
11-22-2007, 10:03 AM
What more needs to be said? We should all agree to disband and support other teams.
That's not what he's saying. We just need a new GM, new manager, new players, new uniforms, new mascot, new name, new stadium and new concession stand options. I'm looking forward to rooting for the Chicago Warriors of DuPage, with their funky new maize and red uniforms, after new GM Chuck Norris "convinces" other teams to give us Pujols, Howard, and Santana on the cheap, ably led by new manager Mike Ditka, all while munching on some tandoori chicken and enjoying the antics of Stabby on his replica Aztec temple out in CF at Google Stadium.

Palehose Pete
11-22-2007, 10:06 AM
I'm going to have to wait to contribute to this post until I'm about half a bottle of wine or so into the day. I think that only then will I be in the appropriate frame of mind to address the notion that KW is sitting on his hands while all of the free agents go to other teams.

Until then...

soxyess
11-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Why do some people here insist on blasting every move that KW makes. Give these moves a chance. I hate seing Garland go, but you have to give something good to get something good. Your not going to get a shortstop the caliber of Cabrera for Masset, Aardsma (garbage). We had a terrible bullpen so KW goes and signs one the best relievers out on the market. Many teams were after Linebrink. Losing out on Hunter will be a blessing. He's a nice defensive player, but he will end up hitting .260 striking out a lot, and have an OBP of about .320. Lets reseve judgment on KW until we see the complete roster for 2008!

TheCommander
11-22-2007, 10:09 AM

When you run out to Walmart to fill your last minute Thanksgiving needs,be sure to stock up on Pampers. If you are already ****ting your pants on November 22,you are going to need them.

Scottiehaswheels
11-22-2007, 10:16 AM
When you run out to Walmart to fill your last minute Thanksgiving needs,be sure to stock up on Pampers. If you are already ****ting your pants on November 22,you are going to need them.:thumbsup::kneeslap::rolling:

ChiSoxlukes
11-22-2007, 10:21 AM
Some people just don't understand that you rate a GM's moves on March 31, July 1st, and finally October 1st. Before, middle, after the season. NOT in NOvember. Give KW some time to try and work this team out. He already filled a hole at SS and in the bullpen. A lot more than what other teams have done.:whiner:

DumpJerry
11-22-2007, 10:28 AM
This thread needs this:
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:x1,000

AJ Hellraiser
11-22-2007, 10:37 AM
So, let me get this straight.... Hunter signed a 5-year, $90 million deal... that's $18 million per year.... AT LEAST $3 million more than anyone expected him to get....

You're saying KW is a BAD GM because he didn't offer 6 or 7 years, thus paying him until he is 38 or 39.... or Are you saying he's a bad GM for not coming over the top and offer $19-$20 million a year and thus financially crippling the franchise for the better part of the next decade?

I'd say KW did the right thing here.... I didn't want Hunter anyhow so I am thrilled today.... plenty more time.... he'll make moves we like soon!

downstairs
11-22-2007, 10:42 AM
When is the Torii Hunter Hall of Fame induction, again?

Jesus H. Christ, some of you believe the hype about middle-tier free agents so much you're crapping your pants in November.

John Garland? Aaron Rowand? Torii Hunter? These guys are the key?!? And without them we have no chance?!?

Juice16
11-22-2007, 10:43 AM

Williams has blown $4.5 million on a fat @ss shortstop, that ultimately we didn't need (since we traded away Garland for Cabrera, which may be his only shining moment thus far this winter and is a statement that isn't saying much). Williams just signed a 30 something year old reliever in Linebrink, who, as of late, is throwing beach balls into the plate. And did I mention the OF situation.

Thoughts?

You do realize the "In Kenny We Trust" crowd is/was going to bounce on you.

PalehosePlanet
11-22-2007, 10:44 AM
So, let me get this straight.... Hunter signed a 5-year, $90 million deal... that's $18 million per year.... AT LEAST $3 million more than anyone expected him to get....

You're saying KW is a BAD GM because he didn't offer 6 or 7 years, thus paying him until he is 38 or 39.... or Are you saying he's a bad GM for not coming over the top and offer $19-$20 million a year and thus financially crippling the franchise for the better part of the next decade?

I'd say KW did the right thing here.... I didn't want Hunter anyhow so I am thrilled today.... plenty more time.... he'll make moves we like soon!

I agree, I was a bit ambivalent about Hunter myself. the last we wanted to do was get into a bidding war and have no money to spend elsewhere.

twsoxfan5
11-22-2007, 10:47 AM
I just hope that Kenny spent some time selling the team to Rowand as well. Hopefully he will go full steam after him now and we will hear about it soon. If not I still think we have some bargaining chips for a trade.

oeo
11-22-2007, 10:59 AM

What kind of deals would you like him to do, then? We have a ****ty bullpen, so Kenny signed the best set-up man on the market...and you're complaining??

And Kenny has been more aggressive than almost every other GM in baseball. I guess you wanted to pay the world to Torii Hunter. Something tells me you would whining about that too, though.

PeteWard
11-22-2007, 11:05 AM

Williams has blown $4.5 million on a fat @ss shortstop, that ultimately we didn't need (since we traded away Garland for Cabrera, which may be his only shining moment thus far this winter and is a statement that isn't saying much). Williams just signed a 30 something year old reliever in Linebrink, who, as of late, is throwing beach balls into the plate. And did I mention the OF situation.

Thoughts?

Cosmetic makeover? Please tell me you were being ironic?

ws05champs
11-22-2007, 11:29 AM
That's not what he's saying. We just need a new GM, new manager, new players, new uniforms, new mascot, new name, new stadium and new concession stand options. I'm looking forward to rooting for the Chicago Warriors of DuPage, with their funky new maize and red uniforms, after new GM Chuck Norris "convinces" other teams to give us Pujols, Howard, and Santana on the cheap, ably led by new manager Mike Ditka, all while munching on some tandoori chicken and enjoying the antics of Stabby on his replica Aztec temple out in CF at Google Stadium.

If I knew sooner that was in the plans, I would have opted for full season tickets.

Jjav829
11-22-2007, 11:35 AM
We're, what, a full 8 days into free agency and KW has not signed any of the following players: Johan Santana, Jose Reyes, Albert Pujols, Jake Peavy, Chase Utley, Matt Holliday, Hanley Ramirez, etc. This offseason sucks. Clearly KW has no intentions of improving this team. Baseball sucks.

Goodbye cruel world. http://images.crushspot.com/smilies/suicide.gif

DumpJerry
11-22-2007, 11:52 AM
We're, what, a full 8 days into free agency and KW has not signed any of the following players: Johan Santana, Jose Reyes, Albert Pujols, Jake Peavy, Chase Utley, Matt Holliday, Hanley Ramirez, etc. This offseason sucks. Clearly KW has no intentions of improving this team. Baseball sucks.

Wait, Jjav, we need you! Santana is not a free agent.

WhiteSox5187
11-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Lot of time left in the off season, but I will say this, another 90 loss season is completly unacceptable and should result in the dismissal of KW.

Frater Perdurabo
11-22-2007, 12:50 PM
The Sox should get new uniforms that make the players look like they have huge boners.

They could even keep the white and black theme, and have uniforms like this...
http://www.toytokyo.com/productImages/5374_1.jpg

Frater Perdurabo
11-22-2007, 12:52 PM

I LOVE this smiley!

:rolling:

Soxman219
11-22-2007, 01:33 PM
People need to stop worrying about the moves that already happened. In the last week, we got an upgrade at SS, signed a quality reliver, dodged a bullet by not signing and overpaying Hunter. Do some of you forget that this weakens Minnesota? Santana might sign with the Dodgers, which might make Morneau and Mauer, (who always hurt the Sox), demand for trades. There is still a lot of time before the season starts, so relax, KW will know what to do. :D:

fusillirob1983
11-22-2007, 02:39 PM
I couldn't drop it after one time, so now I'm taking a little vacation.

This post was so unexpected, I literally laughed for about 5 minutes and started crying.

TheCommander
11-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Santana might sign with the Dodgers, which might make Morneau and Mauer, (who always hurt the Sox), demand for trades.

Santana isn't a free agent.

Lip Man 1
11-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Once again for the record, Uribe was signed because of the deadline and the fact that the Sox had no other real options at that time for shortstop.

According to Kenny it was only AFTER the Sox had to reup Uribe or lose him, that the Angels came forward with an offer of Cabrerra.

Kenny has already publicly stated he will now attempt to trade Uribe.

Lip

itsnotrequired
11-22-2007, 07:55 PM
This post was so unexpected, I literally laughed for about 5 minutes and started crying.

Mod edit: I let it pass once with you. I'm not going to let it pass again. Oh, and if it lasts more than four hours, see a physician. See you in three days.

the1tab
11-22-2007, 09:49 PM
When you run out to Walmart to fill your last minute Thanksgiving needs,be sure to stock up on Pampers. If you are already ****ting your pants on November 22,you are going to need them.

Sir: I think we're all "****ting [our] pants" because the ONE player Kenny Williams has openly coveted just went somewhere else, and now we're looking at... last year's team w/out a #2-3 starter and still no bullpen.

Kenny put the cart before the horst big time in the last week and the world called him on it. His needs were

1) new CF
2) new bullpen
3) decision at 3B
4) upgrade at SS

The biggest bargaining chip he had in the trade market was, sorry to say, Jon Garland. It looks to me like Kenny put a big red check mark next to #1 and moved on to #4 w/ the Cabrera deal and then came back to the pen w/ Linebrink.

Then Torri went to LA. And Aaron will probably follow.

So where does that leave us? With two SSs, two legit major league starters (my jury is out on the kids still, sorry) and two legit major league OFs. Kenny should NOT have moved Garland until the ink was dry on Hunter's new contract, because he was the biggest chess piece Kenny had to move if he needed to acquire talent via trade. Now what do we do? Package the young arms that we now need to fill out a rotation to get a new CF?

Am I over reacting? Maybe a little. But this is a soft free agent market and Kenny has been pretty bold in saying that "we're going to win a championship in 2008." He has done nothing to back this statement up. He has acquired a couple of 30-somethings after re-signing Uribe for too much money. Kenny might be forced to talk to Scott Boras... about Andruw Jones.

I'm not a happy fan right now. Go Blackhawks?