PDA

View Full Version : Canseco

RichH55
04-16-2002, 10:58 AM
From ESPN.com

Canseco interested?

Canseco
Jose Canseco, released by the Montreal Expos in spring training after refusing a minor-league assignment, has a standing offer to wear a White Sox uniform again, the Chicago Sun-Times reported April 16. General manager Ken Williams has remained in contact with Canseco, who needs 38 homers to reach 500. "He's keeping his options open," Williams told the Sun-Times. "He has a standing invitation to join one of our minor-league teams. We owe him that after what he gave us last year. He didn't come in with an ego, carried himself well and performed well. If he called today, he'd have a home." According to the Sun-Times, Canseco can't sign with the White Sox until May 18. In 76 games last season for Chicago, Canseco hit .258 with 16 homers and 49 RBI.

Dadawg_77
04-16-2002, 12:32 PM
Another DH? Hey maybe we are using the Yankees strategy from a few years ago, load up on guys who can hit to have on the bench come Oct. The Yanks did win the series that way.

foulkesfan11
04-16-2002, 12:57 PM
I agree that Canseco didn't cause any trouble last year & did his job quite well. Do we really need him though? That's the question. We need a long relief pitcher! Barcelo sucks.

Konerkofan
04-16-2002, 01:36 PM
Canseco was great last year, but there's no room for him, he'd just be another person on the bench.
Sorry Canseco :(

RichH55
04-16-2002, 02:12 PM
I have no problem with giving Jose a shot...he's still highly motivated...and it has the added bonus of KW doing the right thing for a guy which can only help his rep around the league

doctor30th
04-16-2002, 02:23 PM
Did anyone actually read the article? He said they would give him a spot on one of our minor league teams, not on the Major league team. He's not saying we need him, he just says that because of what he did for us last year, and since he isn't getting a job right now, he has a place on one of our affiliates if he wants. Not a spot on our bench.

And KW is smart to do this, if he's on our AAA team, and Some team gets an injured power hitter, or a team making a run for it needs a power hitter, they could trade for Canseco, who would be in our minor league system. And if neither of those work, he can always be a september call up to give people rest at the end of the year.

ScottyTheSoxFan
04-16-2002, 02:49 PM
you never know if he would rejoin the team because of injuries. last year at this time, if i wanted to sign canseco everyone would think i was crazy, but then big frank went down for the year. you never can be sure.

MarqSox
04-16-2002, 03:27 PM
The article said he can't sign with the Sox until May 18. Is that based on some sort of collective bargaining technicality or what?

doctor30th
04-16-2002, 03:45 PM
if you don't offer a contract to a free agent on your team by a certian date (i think its march 15th) then you can't sign them at all until May 18th.

ode to veeck
04-16-2002, 10:57 PM
some say no one carries two DH's, but it sure would be nice to have beef on the bench, plus Jose's got a professional attitude these days, and makes a much better combo than our two DH roster last spring (aka Harold) alas, maybe we'll see him in the 2nd half

Bmr31
04-17-2002, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by doctor30th
Did anyone actually read the article? He said they would give him a spot on one of our minor league teams, not on the Major league team. He's not saying we need him, he just says that because of what he did for us last year, and since he isn't getting a job right now, he has a place on one of our affiliates if he wants. Not a spot on our bench.

And KW is smart to do this, if he's on our AAA team, and Some team gets an injured power hitter, or a team making a run for it needs a power hitter, they could trade for Canseco, who would be in our minor league system. And if neither of those work, he can always be a september call up to give people rest at the end of the year.

lol uh if they bring canseco back i guarantee he will be with the big club in a matter of weeks........canseco doesnt need a job dude, he wants to play major league baseball. Geez, i swear......

guillen4life13
04-17-2002, 08:32 PM
IMHO, jeff liefer is the backup DH. he's lefty, he's an awesome power man, and he can come through in the clutch (last year against TB, he had a homer that either put the good guys in front or tied them in the 9th. in the tenth they lost it or something like that. might have been a homer in the 8th. i don't remember.

Cheryl
04-17-2002, 08:53 PM
NO MORE CANSECO!!!!

Mathew
04-18-2002, 01:35 AM
Tell him to go to St. Louis or Anaheim again, not here. I did appreciate Canseco's contribution, attitude and effort last year, however what did he really do. All along last year I kept harping the Canseco would end up at .250 with copeous strike outs(he did) Jeff Leifer would do the same .250 kigh K's but at least he's a lefty. I know Jose wants his 500 Hrs, but he wont get them here and the best year he has left was last year and it wasn't great. The guy they cut him for in MTL sucked(Brad Wilkerson). For his effort last season I will remember him in a nice way and if by chance he plays elsewhere I will root for him, but not here.

CLR01
04-18-2002, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
some say no one carries two DH's, but it sure would be nice to have beef on the bench, plus Jose's got a professional attitude these days, and makes a much better combo than our two DH roster last spring (aka Harold) alas, maybe we'll see him in the 2nd half

Yeah until he starts his whinning about playing time, or about how he cant steal bases unless he is playing the field because it keeps his legs warm.

kermittheefrog
04-18-2002, 02:30 AM
I touch on this topic in my latest Farm Report:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=10&id=570

Bmr31
04-18-2002, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by CLR01

Yeah until he starts his whinning about playing time, or about how he cant steal bases unless he is playing the field because it keeps his legs warm.

you have to be concerned about a player whose main goal is to reach a milestone with home runs..... :?:

FarWestChicago
04-18-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31

you have to be concerned about a player whose main goal is to reach a milestone with home runs..... :?: :shammy

I'm confused. What's the problem with that?