PDA

View Full Version : Hunter reportedly signs with Angels

ViPeRx007
11-22-2007, 01:47 AM
It's on MLB's main page.

Sockinchisox
11-22-2007, 01:50 AM
Ummm let me the first to say....***?

The Halo's are the last team that needs an OF.

GET ROWAND.

JB98
11-22-2007, 01:51 AM
Maybe when Hunter was talking about how impressed he was with the Cabrera trade, he meant it was impressive from the Angels' perspective.

anewman35
11-22-2007, 01:51 AM
It's on MLB's main page.

Indeed it is. Wow, that came out of nowhere. On to Rowand...

Sockinchisox
11-22-2007, 01:53 AM
This...is really surprising.

Domeshot17
11-22-2007, 01:55 AM
Another swing and a miss

We really suck at signing free agents

PalehosePlanet
11-22-2007, 01:57 AM
Wow, the Angels came out of nowhere. Talk about under the radar.

At least he made his mind up fast; time to explore other avenues Kenny.

Rockabilly
11-22-2007, 01:57 AM
I just hope we sign Rowand ASAP

ViPeRx007
11-22-2007, 01:59 AM
I'm a little bit depressed actually.

Sox miss out on a big name FA who's been rumored to be coming here for a while now. I thought for sure he'd be on the team by the weekend.

I gotta admit, getting Rowand (if THAT even happens) is not nearly as exciting.

Domeshot17
11-22-2007, 02:00 AM
This puts us in a very bad spot

There are now 2 Free Agents out there for about 4-5 teams who really need a CF. That means 5/70 is now Rowands probably price and who knows on Andruw.

Ive got a sinking feeling Coco Crisp is going to be our CF.

anewman35
11-22-2007, 02:03 AM
These thread are kind of amusing: http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=ml-angels&tid=88169

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=ml-angels&tid=88170

Even the Angels fans can't believe it at first...

So, was Torii lying in all the interviews? What about his weekend meeting with the Dodgers? Strange.

Rockabilly
11-22-2007, 02:05 AM
if the Angels trade their prospects for Cabrera they will be the favs to win it all next year

Navarro's Talent
11-22-2007, 02:06 AM
The Angels? I didn't even know they were all that serious about getting him. I figured the Dodgers had him.

I'm not sure where the Sox go from here now that KW didn't get him. I wouldn't mind Jones, but Boras will want the world in return.

Sockinchisox
This puts us in a very bad spot

There are now 2 Free Agents out there for about 4-5 teams who really need a CF. That means 5/70 is now Rowands probably price and who knows on Andruw.

Ive got a sinking feeling Coco Crisp is going to be our CF.

This puts us in a terrible spot, they need to overpay for whoever now if they have dream of competing next year.

or trade for a CF.

Nellie_Fox
Well, this came out of nowhere. I don't recall anyone talking about the Angels being in the picture for Torii.

Domeshot17
11-22-2007, 02:07 AM
This also opens up Reggie Willits to be used in a trade for Miguel Cabrera.

For those who don't know, hes Jerry Owens but 8000% times better. He has his speed plus the ability to hit AND get on base, its amazing.

JermaineDye05
11-22-2007, 02:07 AM
I have a strange feeling this is BS. 1) because the Angels were never mentioned as players for Hunter and have no real need for a CF. 2) There is no official story on MLB.com it's just a link to Hunter's player page and it says Harold Reynolds has 'learned' that Torii signed with the Angels. 3) I don't know why I believe Torii but he did say he was going to decide AFTER Thanksgiving.

ViPeRx007
11-22-2007, 02:10 AM
I have a strange feeling this is BS. 1) because the Angels were never mentioned as players for Hunter and have no real need for a CF. 2) There is no official story on MLB.com it's just a link to Hunter's player page and it says Harold Reynolds has 'learned' that Torii signed with the Angels. 3) I don't know why I believe Torii but he did say he was going to decide AFTER Thanksgiving.

Look again...there's a story now.

Domeshot17

It broke on their official team page too

Rockabilly
For some reason I think this is a hoax.. Why hasn't their been any other reports about this and I haven't heard about it on the radio here in LA

anewman35
11-22-2007, 02:12 AM
For some reason I think this is a hoax.. Why hasn't their been any other reports about this and I haven't heard about it on the radio here in LA

If it's a hoax, it's a pretty major one that's going to get lots of people fired. I wouldn't bet on it.

ViPeRx007
11-22-2007, 02:12 AM
Maybe some guy is pissed because he had to work on Thanksgiving eve so he posted a bogus story...

I wish...

JermaineDye05
11-22-2007, 02:13 AM
Darn well I see the story now. I really wished it had been one of those things were the Sox had basically acquired Soriano. I forget which analyst had fabricated that one.

Rockabilly
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-angels22nov22,1,12646.story?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=1&cset=true

lostinlife28
What the plan now?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071122&content_id=2306608&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp

goon
11-22-2007, 02:14 AM
I can't say this sucks until we find out the money being handed out... though it is disappointing that the Sox number 1 choice for CF just signed with another team.

JermaineDye05
11-22-2007, 02:15 AM
Is the Angels Stadium even good for robbing HR's??? I haven't seen too many robbed there. I really don't understand this. I think I'm in major denial right now, but this can't be true and if it is (which it most likely is) I think we should all write to Mr. Joe 'Hunter is signing with the sox within the week' Cowley.

Domeshot17
Kenny Williams is about as good in Free Agency as Bruce Webber is in Recruiting

ViPeRx007
I can't say this sucks until we find out the money being handed out... though it is disappointing that the Sox number 1 choice for CF just signed with another team.

According to the link above it's 5 year/~$80 mil.

anewman35
Well, at least on the bright side, he's not in a place we'll see him especially often. Anything that hurts Minnesota (even something expected like this) cheers me up a bit.

ViPeRx007
11-22-2007, 02:17 AM
Well, at least on the bright side, he's not in a place we'll see him especially often. Anything that hurts Minnesota (even something expected like this) cheers me up a bit.

I suppose. It would have been better if he had joined us to beat up on the Twins though...

Bring on Aaron Rowand or Coco Crisp....yay....

Navarro's Talent
11-22-2007, 02:17 AM
The Angels have a ton of outfielders now, so they'll probably be trading at least one of them away. On paper, the Angels are looking really good right now.

Rockabilly
11-22-2007, 02:18 AM
I just hope Rowand doesn't sign with the Dodgers or we are in deep trouble

chisoxjtrain
Wow, did not see that one coming. I guess Aaron Rowand?

WhiteSox5187
Wow...well, welcome back Aaron Rowand.

Domeshot17
11-22-2007, 02:19 AM
Espn bottom line has it now. So Frusterating.

We may have White Sox Wednesdays where Kenny loves to make deals, but Thanksgiving is bad for the Sox and CF. IIRC, Aaron was dealt right before or on Turkey Day, and now we lose the Hunter sweepstakes.

Sockinchisox
11-22-2007, 02:20 AM
I just hope Rowand doesn't sign with the Dodgers or we are in deep trouble

KW will have no other choice but to negotiate with Boras, if he has any intention get a good CF next year.

JermaineDye05
11-22-2007, 02:20 AM
If Torii signed for 5 years 80 million. It makes me wonder what Kenny even offered, and if it was anywhere close to that did Torii even want to come here?

munchman33
11-22-2007, 02:21 AM
Welcome back to Chicago, Corey Patterson.

ilsox7
11-22-2007, 02:21 AM
If Torii signed for 5 years 80 million. It makes me wonder what Kenny even offered, and if it was anywhere close to that did Torii even want to come here?

All rumors pointed toward the Sox offering essentially the same (or similar) deal. But hey, who can blame him for signing with the Angels? They are a good ballclub. Now I can go back to hating Toriiiiiiiiiii like I always did.

anewman35
11-22-2007, 02:22 AM
I'm glad I can go back to hating him. It felt weird when I was trying to convince myself I liked the guy.

JermaineDye05
I seriously hate the media. Every time they hype up a big name free agent signing or trade for the Sox it almost never happens. I'm sure Kenny feels the same way.

CHISOXFAN13

Even if the deals were the same, who would you rather play for right now?

The Angels are the best team in baseball after this deal. They've strengthened their rotation, added more pop to their lineup and will trot out a fantastic defensive outfield.

Geez. This sucks.

Domeshot17
Wow...well, welcome back Aaron Rowand.

I dont know, this still leaves a handful of teams needing a CF. Im guessing Aaron's price just became 5/70 and Andruw atleast 4/68

feels more like..welcome..Coco Crisp

or...hey look..Jerry Owens just swung at the 2nd pitch again.

Kenny better have an ace up his sleeve, because again he strikes out on a free agent, and seems like every time he speaks of a big fish, he reels in a boot.

Britt Burns
Hopefully this does mean Rowand is coming back. i'd rather have him in the first place...he is younger than hunter, he will be cheaper, his D i at least on par with Hunter at this point in their careers and Rowand had a better season at the plate.

Navarro's Talent
11-22-2007, 02:23 AM

He probably really liked what the Sox had to say. The big problem may have been the fact that the Sox were really bad last year. Maybe he had some doubts that the Sox couldn't compete right away, something the Angels will have no problems with for quite some time.

That being said, as long as KW keeps adding pieces to the puzzle, I see no reason the Sox wouldn't be able to bouce back from a really bad season. Not getting Hunter, though, definitely hurts.

Domeshot17
11-22-2007, 02:23 AM
Even if the deals were the same, who would you rather play for right now?

The Angels are the best team in baseball after this deal. They've strengthened their rotation, added more pop to their lineup and will trot out a fantastic defensive outfield.

Geez. This sucks.

Makes you wonder, for all the talk Toriii was using the Royals to drive our Price up, guess we were really the pawns in this game, and we just got played hard.

JermaineDye05
11-22-2007, 02:24 AM
I have to say it's kind of ironic. Kenny trades JG and saves up money to more then likely sign Hunter, and Torii ends up signing with the very same team Kenny traded JG to.

JB98
11-22-2007, 02:24 AM
I seriously hate the media. Every time they hype up a big name free agent signing or trade for the Sox it almost never happens. I'm sure Kenny feels the same way.

I've always said Cowley is garbage. Crede-for-Damon imminent; Hunter to the Sox by the end of the week; Sox to trade Buehrle at All-Star break, blah, blah, blah, blah.

As an employee of the Sun-Times News Group, I can tell you the philosophy is to be first. It is better to first and wrong than to be last and right. It's a shame, but that's how media operates these days.

Domeshot17
11-22-2007, 02:25 AM
Hopefully this does mean Rowand is coming back. i'd rather have him in the first place...he is younger than hunter, he will be cheaper, his D i at least on par with Hunter at this point in their careers and Rowand had a better season at the plate.

Wrong. Hunter is still one of the top defensive CF in baseball. Aaron is very average and is a better corner OF. If he doesn't run into a wall every other month, he doesn't have a gold glove right now

JB98
11-22-2007, 02:28 AM
Wrong. Hunter is still one of the top defensive CF in baseball. Aaron is very average and is a better corner OF. If he doesn't run into a wall every other month, he doesn't have a gold glove right now

Aaron is better than what we have on the roster now though.

JermaineDye05
11-22-2007, 02:28 AM
I've always said Cowley is garbage. Crede-for-Damon imminent; Hunter to the Sox by the end of the week; Sox to trade Buehrle at All-Star break, blah, blah, blah, blah.

As an employee of the Sun-Times News Group, I can tell you the philosophy is to be first. It is better to first and wrong than to be last and right. It's a shame, but that's how media operates these days.

I can only imagine what Mike North's rant will be like. I swear when he was talking to Cowley the other day he sounded as if he felt that Joe Cowley knew everything and that Torii was already on the Sox.

Fenway
11-22-2007, 02:30 AM
Theo has to be thrilled as Coco now has more value.

Sockinchisox
11-22-2007, 02:31 AM
Well Kenny said it himself the other day, the team that is always linked to a player almost never ends up with that player.

JB98
11-22-2007, 02:32 AM
I can only imagine what Mike North's rant will be like. I swear when he was talking to Cowley the other day he sounded as if he felt that Joe Cowley knew everything and that Torii was already on the Sox.

I'm not sure why Cowley is so respected. He just throws a bunch of **** at the wall and hopes some of it sticks. He isn't to be trusted or believed. He's trying to get scoops, and he jumps the gun quite often.

ViPeRx007
11-22-2007, 02:34 AM
If the Angels get Miguel Cabrera on top of it, we might as well just take the season off.

:D:.......:?:........:(:......:whiner:

ViPeRx007
11-22-2007, 02:35 AM
Welcome to Chicago, Coco Crisp.....

:whiner:

fusillirob1983
11-22-2007, 02:35 AM
The Rangers probably revealed their awful roster plan to Torii and helped him realize the Rangers would provide an easy 19 wins to another AL West team.

Man Soo Lee
11-22-2007, 02:40 AM

For what it's worth, Bruce Levine said earlier tonight that the Sox offer was 5/$72M and the Rangers offered 6/$85-87M.

Fenway
11-22-2007, 02:42 AM
Welcome to Chicago, Coco Crisp.....

and what does KW send to Boston? Methinks Coco going to Twins as part of Santana deal.

ViPeRx007
11-22-2007, 02:45 AM
and what does KW send to Boston? Methinks Coco going to Twins as part of Santana deal.

Good. I hope that happens.

Nellie_Fox
11-22-2007, 02:46 AM
Good. I hope that happens.What, you hope Santana goes to the Red Sox?

Domeshot17
11-22-2007, 02:47 AM

Coco has about as much Value as Uribe. He plays some nice D, but hes a 260 hitter with an OPS BARELY over .700. There is a reason no one is lining up for him, and GMs are not stupid, they know he is out of place in Boston. I don't know why Red Sox fans think this chump is worth more than 2 B specs. When we say welcome Coco Crisp, its not because hes good, or a good thing to get him.

If Santana goes to the Red Sox, I think its for a Bucholz Jacoby Bowden Delcarmen package, something like that. He is the best pitcher in baseball, hands down. He won't be had for some scrubby prospects and coco freaking crisp.

JB98
11-22-2007, 02:47 AM

I wouldn't give Boston much of anything for Crisp. I don't think Crisp is going to elevate the White Sox back toward championship quality, so why give up something of significance for mediocrity? We have plenty of mediocre in-house options.

ViPeRx007
11-22-2007, 02:50 AM
What, you hope Santana goes to the Red Sox?

Ok, maybe not...

I just hope Coco doesn't come here.

Fenway
11-22-2007, 02:55 AM
Coco has about as much Value as Uribe. He plays some nice D, but hes a 260 hitter with an OPS BARELY over .700. There is a reason no one is lining up for him, and GMs are not stupid, they know he is out of place in Boston. I don't know why Red Sox fans think this chump is worth more than 2 B specs. When we say welcome Coco Crisp, its not because hes good, or a good thing to get him.

If Santana goes to the Red Sox, I think its for a Bucholz Jacoby Bowden Delcarmen package, something like that. He is the best pitcher in baseball, hands down. He won't be had for some scrubby prospects and coco freaking crisp.

true BUT as a throw in with Lester and Buckholtz it trumps NYY for Santana.

TheOldRoman
11-22-2007, 02:57 AM
Kenny Williams is about as good in Free Agency as Bruce Webber is in Recruiting:rolleyes:
The Angels are a superior team on paper. So Toriiiii could either come here, or go to LA for comparable money, with a better chance to compete, and be in a much bigger market. The Sox were a bad team last year. In order to get talent over good teams, bad teams have to overpay. Unless you want Kenny to turn into Jim ****ing Hendry, he didn't wiff. The deal Hunter got will probably make Gary Matthews, Jr. look like a good signing come years 4-5. I wouldn't have minded having Hunter on the team, but not for that contract, and certainly not a bigger one.
Makes you wonder, for all the talk Toriii was using the Royals to drive our Price up, guess we were really the pawns in this game, and we just got played hard.Not at all. Hunter came into this with the 5 years/$75 million price tag. The Sox were right around that number, as were all the other teams that made offers. Just keep throwing **** at the wall, though.

oeo
11-22-2007, 02:58 AM
Kenny Williams is about as good in Free Agency as Bruce Webber is in Recruiting

Are you just going to continue with these bad jokes? :?:

ChiSoxGirl
11-22-2007, 03:01 AM
Well, I'll be damned! :mad:

oeo
11-22-2007, 03:03 AM

It can't be Fenway. Remember...Buccholz is untouchable (who would be the prime guy in that trade, don't think he wouldn't be). I'd imagine they would target Ellsbury, too (not Crisp). Do you think they're just going to get away with a fast one for the best pitcher in baseball? Come talk to me when Theo ever does that.

StillMissOzzie
11-22-2007, 03:07 AM

Please, don't make my nephew a Twin!!

Meanwhile, back to Torii Hunter. Here's some wild-ass speculation for you all to mull over. Maybe the Angels got advance word that their current CF is gonna get suspended for HGH, so all of a sudden, they are in desperate need of a new CF, so they leaped into the Hunter fray with both feet. Hmmmmmmm.

SMO
:angry:

stevemcstud
11-22-2007, 03:23 AM
Wow....I am usually just an avid/addicted reader to this forum and rarely post but no one has posted this yet.

Hunter Signs with Angels 5 year 80 million according to MLB.com

Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071122&content_id=2306608&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp)

Standing Ovation
11-22-2007, 03:34 AM
Cbssportsline is now saying the deal was 5/90.

ilsox7
11-22-2007, 03:41 AM
Cbssportsline is now saying the deal was 5/90.

And the Angels are saying they called Toriiiiiii's agent on Tuesday for the first time, spent 24 hours negotiating, and finalized things Wednesday.

Sockinchisox
11-22-2007, 03:41 AM
Jesus, 18 million for Torii Hunter. Have fun in Anaheim Toriiiiiii.

IlliniSox4Life
11-22-2007, 04:04 AM
Check the "Talking Baseball" Forum. If it doesn't directly involve the Sox, it doesn't go in The Clubhouse.

TheOldRoman
11-22-2007, 04:30 AM
Jesus, 18 million for Torii Hunter. Have fun in Anaheim Toriiiiiii.ZOMG! Kenny got played!!!1!!!11!11
This is a pretty puzzling move by LAA. They came out of nowhere to give a superstar contract to a non superstar player at a position they didn't have a need for. If it is $18 mil a year, the Angels are imbeciles. Too bad for them KW drove Toriiiii's price up.

CLR01
11-22-2007, 07:16 AM
But he really, really wants to be on the White Sox. He even called himself one. He's still going to sign here.

Danks, Fields, Floyd for Hunter?

Frater Perdurabo
11-22-2007, 08:28 AM
This is good news on two fronts.

One, a notorious Sox killer no longer will get to slaughter the Sox 19 times per year because he's in a different division.

Two, a division rival just got weaker.

Three, the Sox haven't overspent for an overrated defensive player (robbing half a dozen homers a year is nice, but playing deep comes at the expense of giving up more soft singles that truly great CFs catch because they play shallow, because they also can get back on deep drives) who strikes out a lot, GIDPs a lot and doesn't hit for a great batting average.

BeviBall!
11-22-2007, 08:47 AM

The Sox feed that hype too. The old, "at least we tried" BS we've been getting for 20 years.

This is terrible news. The worst possible.

cws05champ
11-22-2007, 08:53 AM
This is good news on two fronts.

One, a notorious Sox killer no longer will get to slaughter the Sox 19 times per year because he's in a different division.

Two, a division rival just got weaker.

Three, the Sox haven't overspent for an overrated defensive player (robbing half a dozen homers a year is nice, but playing deep comes at the expense of giving up more soft singles that truly great CFs catch because they play shallow, because they also can get back on deep drives) who strikes out a lot, GIDPs a lot and doesn't hit for a great batting average.

The bad news is...we didn't get Hunter, and it drives up the price for Rowand and any other player we hope to acquire for CF. $18 Mil/year for Hunter. No thanks. This means Rowand will probably get $15/mil, and not worth that either. Boy, Johhny Damon and Magglio Ordonez's contracts don't seem that bad now do they?

KyWhiSoxFan
11-22-2007, 09:05 AM
I don't have a lot of problem with this news. $14.4-million a year (what the Sox reportedly bid) is too much for what he brings to the table. If he were multidimensional--that is, if he could also lead off or hit with more power--that would be one thing. But tying up $72-million in him is not a good longterm proposition in my mind. I would rather spend that kind of money on pitching.

Maybe now that the Angels have an excess of players in CF, the Sox can make a play for Willits. The Angels still need a first baseman, so a package of players to the Sox for Konerko could be considered. The Angels are now geared up to have to try to win it all in 2008. They need Konerko now.

tstrike2000
11-22-2007, 09:15 AM
I was just reading the article about Hunter's signing on Fox sports. At 5 yrs/90 mil. there's really nothing Williams can do about that one. Like Frater said, at least he's not in our division anymore. I was cautiously optimistic about this until now, but perhaps Rowand is the target now because I really don't want Coco Crisp.

DumpJerry
11-22-2007, 09:38 AM
I'm thinking the newest WSIer, hunter2sox, is looking for a name change.

hsnterprize
11-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Yeah...I just hear per the Score the deal was officially a 5 year/$90 million deal. So now, the sting isn't as bad in my opinion...he was simply asking for, and got as much as he could.

If it means anything (and I know Torii was only in this for the money), I read fans comments from other teams...especially from teams he was "interested" in playing for, and he pretty much buttered up the fans and local media there just like he did here. It's just that until this past Tuesday, the White Sox were legitimately near or at the top of his list. However, the Angels swooped in with an offer he couldn't pass up.
I'm not as mad at Sox management as I was earlier this morning. Still...it would've been nice to Hunter in a Sox uniform. His signing also ups the ante for other big name free agent outfielders, so let's brace ourselves for a battle to sign someone significant. It'll be costly if the Sox can get a player like Jones or even that Carbera guy from Florida.

Domeshot17
11-22-2007, 09:57 AM
Put me in the group who after sleeping on this woke up feeling a lot better about it. Im still a little upset, but only because we are in a jam to find a CF. Still, I wouldn't pay hunter the same amount Soriano is getting, and to Pay Torii Hunter like that would be a bigger joke then Soriano.

I guess part of the reason I over reacted so hard was knowing Rowand is plan B. Its not that he isnt a good baseball player, but his price tag just went up.

18 million a year for a 32 year old who doesn't even give you 30 home runs, unreal.

Hunter makes us a better baseball team, but this wouldnt have been like overpaying by a couple mil for Linebrink.

At 5/75 you can live with it, but 5/90, good for Kenny, despite what I said a few hours ago

ND_Sox_Fan
11-22-2007, 10:09 AM
and I know Torii was only in this for the money

I would absolutely agree with you, if he had signed this contract with Texas, but given that he signed with the Angels, I don't think you can conclusively draw this conclusion. $18 million is a significant discount (90 vs 72) to what has been mentioned in this thread, and it is not like one could make an argument that he could have taken a "hometown discount" or anything to accept the below-market offer from the Sox.

I am disappointed he is not on our team, but happy he is out of the division and happy the Sox didn't overpay.

The difference in the offers above is Linebrink's salary, so put it this way, the Sox could now be looking at Rowand and Linebrink versus just Hunter for the same money. Which would you rather have?

Jjav829
11-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Wow. I didn't expect to wake up to that. I know the Angels needed another big bat, but I didn't think they were all too interested in Hunter.

Put me down as not being too disappointed. Hunter's a good player, but it's not like we lost out on Albert Pujols here. Yes, we still need a centerfielder, but if KW can land Rowand at a decent price, things will work out just fine.

Jjav829
11-22-2007, 10:18 AM
Yeah...I just hear per the Score the deal was officially a 5 year/$90 million deal. So now, the sting isn't as bad in my opinion...he was simply asking for, and got as much as he could.

If it means anything (and I know Torii was only in this for the money), I read fans comments from other teams...especially from teams he was "interested" in playing for, and he pretty much buttered up the fans and local media there just like he did here. It's just that until this past Tuesday, the White Sox were legitimately near or at the top of his list. However, the Angels swooped in with an offer he couldn't pass up.
I'm not as mad at Sox management as I was earlier this morning. Still...it would've been nice to Hunter in a Sox uniform. His signing also ups the ante for other big name free agent outfielders, so let's brace ourselves for a battle to sign someone significant. It'll be costly if the Sox can get a player like Jones or even that Carbera guy from Florida.

Every player is only in it for the money to a certain extent. Besides, how could you claim he only cares about the money? The Angels are a better team than any of the others that were courting him. And now they add him and still have the chance to go after Miguel Cabrera. This was a no-brainer for Hunter. Best chance to win. A lot of money. Good city. Easy call.

soxfanreggie
11-22-2007, 10:21 AM
They have an owner who wants to win now. One who is willing to shell out some big $$$ to get the guys he needs in there. Maybe they will trade for PK. We were never going to match this contact, and I don't think you can blame Torii for going to a team that is really getting some good guys in there and getting about $15 mil+ than he could have made here.

DoItForDanPasqua
11-22-2007, 10:27 AM
****. Now the Angels have two players that I wanted to see on 2008 White Sox. Hunter and Garland.

Palehose Pete
11-22-2007, 10:44 AM
I still see opportunities for the Sox to sign a good CF. If I can see them, surely KW can see them, too. Also, $18 million a year is a lot of money, too much, in my opinion. If the Angels want to spend it, then by all means, go for it. Just keep in mind that this contract extends until Toriiiiii is 37 years old. Who knows what the years will do, but one thing is certain, he ain't going to get better. That's a lot of money to bet on a guy entering the downside of his career.

Go get Rowand or Jones, Kenny.

aryzner
11-22-2007, 11:24 AM
KW better go get Rowand immediately if you ask me.

11-22-2007, 11:26 AM
yes! this is going to open up a spot for Anderson to get a chance! finally!

kevingrt
11-22-2007, 11:38 AM
KW better go get Rowand immediately if you ask me.

The Rowand love is going to be spewing from every seem of White Sox Nation. And in my opinion I think KW will find someway to get him because I really don't think we will be seeing JO in CF this upcoming season.

Sockinchisox
11-22-2007, 12:27 PM
The Rowand love is going to be spewing from every seem of White Sox Nation. And in my opinion I think KW will find someway to get him because I really don't think we will be seeing JO in CF this upcoming season.

Your right, because Coco will be our CF.

Rockabilly
11-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Hunter got the same contract as Seattle gave Ichrio even though I wanted Hunter on the Sox i'm glad that KW didn't over spend to get him. Lets go out and get Rowand

chaerulez
11-22-2007, 12:36 PM
This also opens up Reggie Willits to be used in a trade for Miguel Cabrera.

For those who don't know, hes Jerry Owens but 8000% times better. He has his speed plus the ability to hit AND get on base, its amazing.

I second this idea. I would offer a mid level prospect, maybe a couple. He has no power so his OPS numbers suffer, but he can just flat out get on base. And he has speed. He could be our leadoff hitter for the next five years easily.

ViPeRx007
11-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Trade For Carl Crawford!

Brian26
11-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Well, this came out of nowhere. I don't recall anyone talking about the Angels being in the picture for Torii.

The Angels weren't mentioned in one column anywhere that I remember reading. This is a complete shocker.

Martinigirl
11-22-2007, 12:45 PM
My first two thoughts when I heard about this:
1. Oh god here comes the non stop Aaron Rowand adoration.
2. Can we get Carl Crawford?

I can see I was spot on with #1.

Brian26
11-22-2007, 12:49 PM
I have to say it's kind of ironic. Kenny trades JG and saves up money to more then likely sign Hunter, and Torii ends up signing with the very same team Kenny traded JG to.

I was thinking about that the other day. There's also something slightly cosmic about the fact that Garland ended up going to the Angels, the team he was unofficially traded to after the '01 season...for Darin Erstad. Even though Erstad signed with us last year and generally stunk up the joint, he won a World Series with the Angels the year immediately after the nixed Garland trade. Meanwhile, in '05, the Sox go on to beat the Angels and Garland offers up one of his best pitching performances of the season in that Game 3 win vs LAA, en route to the Sox taking the trophy.

ChiSoxGirl
11-22-2007, 12:53 PM
As I said (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1727535&postcount=11) yesterday afternoon in the thread talking about Hunter rumored to be going to the Dodgers, they can have him for that kind of money because he's just not worth that. And now that it's several hour later after I initially saw the news on here, I feel the same way about him going to the other team in L.A. It was just totally surprising that the Angels just sort of swooped in and grabbed Hunter from under the noses of several teams, including ours. With that said, Rowand, here we come! :D:

Brian26
11-22-2007, 12:53 PM
ZOMG! Kenny got played!!!1!!!11!11

I don't think he got played necessarily. If the Angels just entered the mix on Tuesday night and offered a mega deal that was superior than anything else out there, that's not a sign that he got played. As far as we know, Hunter may have been considering the Sox as his first choice to that point. Tip your cap to LAA if they have that kind of money to spend.

Brian26
11-22-2007, 12:54 PM
But he really, really wants to be on the White Sox. He even called himself one. He's still going to sign here.

For an extra $10 million, I'm sure he'd really, really want to be on the Rays.

jabrch
11-22-2007, 12:57 PM
The Angels weren't mentioned in one column anywhere that I remember reading. This is a complete shocker.

Not only were they never mentioned, but this doesn't fill a position of need for them either. Unless Garrett Anderson is done playing OF and needs to move to DH full time, and they are moving Matthews Jr. to LF...

I'd think they'd have been better served getting a LF who is a better bat but not the same glove.

That said, the Angels might have one of the best defensive OFs ever with Matthews Jr. in LF, Hunter in CF and Vlad in RF. That's a strong defensive OF.

SoxSpeed22
11-22-2007, 01:07 PM
The 'contending' part was what put them over the top. They can move Anderson to DH, this makes sense for them. The Angels should be one of the heavy favorites next year.

Sockinchisox
11-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Umm, if anyone's interested in Kenny's response here it is:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/663297,sox112207.article

"What's to say?'' Williams said in a text on Thursday morning. "All along the way, though, I've never stopped exploring other options, so there's still an opportunity to further strengthen the club.''

veeter
11-22-2007, 01:57 PM
Now I really hate that ****er!!!

veeter
11-22-2007, 01:59 PM
After they made the Garland trade, stupid ass comcast ran a video, that now the Sox are close to signing Hunter. I new that was the kiss of death. Great Chicago media, making the Sox look dumb.

soxinem1
11-22-2007, 02:13 PM
Though it makes the lineup a little RH heavy, Rowand in CF and Crisp in LF makes a nice OF, IMHO....

Remember, ST does not start for THREE months.

TheOldRoman
11-22-2007, 02:17 PM
That said, the Angels might have one of the best defensive OFs ever with Matthews Jr. in LF, Hunter in CF and Vlad in RF. That's a strong defensive OF.Don't include Vlad. He still has a cannon, but he is declining rapidly in the field. He lost a lot of mobility.

soxinem1
11-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Don't include Vlad. He still has a cannon, but he is declining rapidly in the field. He lost a lot of mobility.

Not only that, but Garrett Anderson is no gazelle anymore either.

Just a thought: Uribe for Reggie Willits!!!

soxinem1
11-22-2007, 02:32 PM
LAA needs a 3B and a SS, we have two of each.

LAA has six SP, we could use one.

So how does Crede, Uribe, and Sisco for Willits, Ervin Santana, and Scott Bootcheck sound?

ilsox7
11-22-2007, 02:36 PM

So how does Crede, Uribe, and Sisco for Willits, Ervin Santana, and Scott Bootcheck sound?

It sounds like the typical proposed trade where someone wants to trade a bunch of our **** for good players.

palehozenychicty
11-22-2007, 02:41 PM
It sounds like the typical proposed trade where someone wants to trade a bunch of our **** for good players.

Exactly. As for Hunter, he's good, but he ain't $18 million good. If I were KW, I'd look for younger pitching talent and trade for a CF.

tebman
11-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Umm, if anyone's interested in Kenny's response here it is:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/663297,sox112207.article
"What's to say?'' Williams said in a text on Thursday morning. "All along the way, though, I've never stopped exploring other options, so there's still an opportunity to further strengthen the club.''

That story was written by "Scoop" Cowley, who did his best carnival barker imitation a couple of days ago with his story about Hunter's signing by the end of the week.

What a maroon. He and Levine must hang out at the adjacent barstools to cook up their stories. Meanwhile we all look like chumps for swallowing this stuff. But since Cowley talked about Coco Crisp, we can probably rest assured he's not the one that Williams is going to get.

jabrch
11-22-2007, 03:07 PM
Don't include Vlad. He still has a cannon, but he is declining rapidly in the field. He lost a lot of mobility.

Agreed he's not as mobile, but that arm in RF, with Matthews and Hunter at the other spot, more than makes up for any lack of speed he has. He's still a very solid RF, and since he won't have much ground in the gap to cover, he's going to look even better.

TheCommander
11-22-2007, 04:35 PM

And after that,we can trade Brian Anderson,Andy Gonzalez and Gavin Floyd for Johan Santana.

pierzynski07
11-22-2007, 05:07 PM
The plan I read is for Hunter in center, Matthews at a corner, either Anderson of Guerrero in the other, and the remaining one at DH.

Sockinchisox
11-22-2007, 05:49 PM
According to Hunter, he was very close to signing a contract with the Sox had the Angels not come along and blown him away.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071122&content_id=2306716&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp

wdelaney72
11-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Am I the only one that still wants no part of Aaron Rowand?

There are more creative ways to improve the outfield via a trade then overpaying for an average-at-best player.

Lip Man 1
11-22-2007, 10:55 PM
Just curious...can you propose some?

Lip

Sockinchisox
11-22-2007, 11:03 PM

Lip

Juan Uribe for Vernon Wells!

balke
11-23-2007, 12:06 AM
That really sucks, but I'm glad the Sox aren't paying Hunter 18 million. He was overpaid at 14-15 million for 5 years, 18 is just ridiculous.

thomas35forever
11-23-2007, 12:17 AM
It sucks that he won't be with us next year, but I don't think I would have spent that much money on a player in his prime. He'll be close to retirement when that contract runs out.

TheOldRoman
11-23-2007, 01:44 AM
I don't think he got played necessarily. If the Angels just entered the mix on Tuesday night and offered a mega deal that was superior than anything else out there, that's not a sign that he got played. As far as we know, Hunter may have been considering the Sox as his first choice to that point. Tip your cap to LAA if they have that kind of money to spend. It was sarcasm.

oeo
11-23-2007, 01:57 AM
According to Hunter, he was very close to signing a contract with the Sox had the Angels not come along and blown him away.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071122&content_id=2306716&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp

Therefore we should spoil their plans and acquire Miguel Cabrera.

Jerome
11-23-2007, 02:21 AM
Good. Would have liked to have seen him here but not at that price.

Foulke You
11-23-2007, 03:04 AM
I woke up to the news this morning and I'm pretty disappointed we didn't land Hunter. This one hurt because it looked like we were so close. I think the boos for Hunter will be even louder in '08 when the Halos visits The Cell. I have to give props to Ma-Gaga. He definitely had Hunter pegged. He tried to tell us but many of us wouldn't listen. I admit, even I got a bit caught up with the idea of having an all-star CF replace Owens. Torii was saying all the right things in every town he visited but in the end, he definitlely was all about the money. He was playing us all. He'd be playing for Tampa Bay or KC right now if they offered him $91 million instead of the $90 million that Anaheim offered and he'd be talking about how much he had always admired and loved said team. :mad: Torii STILL is working the press in Anaheim and he already got his contract:

FROM MLB.COM-
If Opening Day started tomorrow, I'd be ready to go."

The Angels' new center fielder sounded like he was ready to take the field on Thanksgiving, especially in his new home park.

"It's been pretty good to me over the years," Hunter said of Angel Stadium.

"It's the energy, playing outside, on that good grass [as opposed to Minnesota's artificial turf]. Fans show up. It's loud, electrifying. If you can't get pumped up to play in Anaheim, you need to get your mind evaluated.

"I've been stomping up and down with my family. Little Torii Jr., [one of his three children], is ready with his Angel gear.

"These guys really showed me they're trying to win. Anaheim, you know, they're going to try to win every year. I've always admired the way they play."

Sure Torii, you've always admired the way (insert team name here) plays and you've always loved playing in (insert name of MLB ballpark here) and you always LOVE how (insert manager name) manages. Screw you Hunter! I'll be booing you as always when you visit the South Side.:angry:

ilsox7
11-23-2007, 03:06 AM
I woke up to the news this morning and I'm pretty disappointed we didn't land Hunter. This one hurt because it looked like we were so close. I think the boos for Hunter will be even louder in '08 when the Halos visits The Cell. I have to give props to Ma-Gaga. He definitely had Hunter pegged. He tried to tell us but many of us wouldn't listen. I admit, even I got a bit caught up with the idea of having an all-star CF replace Owens. Torii was saying all the right things in every town he visited but in the end, he definitlely was all about the money. He was playing us all. He'd be playing for Tampa Bay or KC right now if they offered him $91 million instead of the $90 million that Anaheim offered and he'd be talking about how much he had always admired and loved said team. :mad: Torii STILL is working the press in Anaheim and he already got his contract:

FROM MLB.COM-
If Opening Day started tomorrow, I'd be ready to go."

The Angels' new center fielder sounded like he was ready to take the field on Thanksgiving, especially in his new home park.

"It's been pretty good to me over the years," Hunter said of Angel Stadium.

"It's the energy, playing outside, on that good grass [as opposed to Minnesota's artificial turf]. Fans show up. It's loud, electrifying. If you can't get pumped up to play in Anaheim, you need to get your mind evaluated.

"I've been stomping up and down with my family. Little Torii Jr., [one of his three children], is ready with his Angel gear.

"These guys really showed me they're trying to win. Anaheim, you know, they're going to try to win every year. I've always admired the way they play."

Sure Torii, you've always admired the way (insert team name here) plays and you've always loved playing in (insert name of MLB ballpark here) and you always LOVE how (insert manager name) manages. Screw you Hunter! I'll be booing you as always when you visit the South Side.:angry:

It's difficult to say he is all about the money when he went to the best team that offered him a contract.

oeo
11-23-2007, 04:08 AM
It's difficult to say he is all about the money when he went to the best team that offered him a contract.

It's coincidental.

How is not hard to say it? After years, he threw Minnesota under the bus in the middle of the season. Then went from city to city and team to team, to tell everyone how much better they are. It's pretty evident what he was looking for. And it wouldn't have surprised me if the Royals somehow came out with a similar offer, instead of the Angels, he'd do the same thing. Hunter, annoying smirk and all, is a complete ass. Always has been, always will be.

ilsox7
11-23-2007, 04:14 AM
It's coincidental.

How is not hard to say it? After years, he threw Minnesota under the bus in the middle of the season. Then went from city to city and team to team, to tell everyone how much better they are. It's pretty evident what he was looking for. And it wouldn't have surprised me if the Royals somehow came out with a similar offer, instead of the Angels, he'd do the same thing. Hunter, annoying smirk and all, is a complete ass. Always has been, always will be.

I don't like the guy, but it's tough to say him signing with the Angels was all about the money. That's all I am saying. As you pointed out, there may be other evidence out there that shows that, but the signing is not it.

grv1974
11-23-2007, 05:42 AM
Am I the only one that still wants no part of Aaron Rowand?

Yes.

FedEx227
11-23-2007, 07:30 AM
No, you're not.

The idea of spending $12-14 million annually on

23 HR, 85 RBI is kinda disgusting. But remember whatever he actually doesn't do on the field will be measured in other, stupid, unseen, intangible ways like his ability to "grind", be "gritty", have "passion" and bring baseball energy to 30+ year old men.

balke
11-23-2007, 09:07 AM
No, you're not.

The idea of spending $12-14 million annually on

23 HR, 85 RBI is kinda disgusting. But remember whatever he actually doesn't do on the field will be measured in other, stupid, unseen, intangible ways like his ability to "grind", be "gritty", have "passion" and bring baseball energy to 30+ year old men.

Its cute and all to hate the guy cause of the people that have been begging for him back like he's a superstar, but I'm pretty sure anything that's that much of an upgrade in CF will make Sox fans happy. Jerry Owens cannot play CF next season, unless Kenny gets a superstar LFer. Not if the Sox want to compete.

jabrch
11-23-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm pretty sure anything that's that much of an upgrade in CF will make Sox fans happy.

I guarantee you that whatever move we make, it won't make some of our fans happy.

Some people are only happy when they are complaining. WSI gives them a platform not only to complain to themselves, but to complain to the world. Signing Hunter would have made some unhappy. They'd have said there is no way we should have given him 5+ years and 18+mm. Signing Rowand, signing Linebrink, signing whomever....

I hope KW stays the course. Despite one particularly painfully lousy season, he's done a pretty solid job over his tenure. I know we don't have much in terms of position players in the farm, but we have a bunch of decent pitching prospects. For all the griping some people do, the future is not as bleak as some believe.

FedEx227
11-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Its cute and all to hate the guy cause of the people that have been begging for him back like he's a superstar, but I'm pretty sure anything that's that much of an upgrade in CF will make Sox fans happy. Jerry Owens cannot play CF next season, unless Kenny gets a superstar LFer. Not if the Sox want to compete.

I wouldn't mind Rowand back at all. I just can't stand when people have more to say about the Legend of Aaron Rowand then they do him. He's a good player, that's it. He's a good defender and a plus offensive threat. He's not this godly creature that spews energy from his pours that directly correlates to the success of the 2005 White Sox.

spiffie
11-23-2007, 10:30 PM
I wouldn't mind Rowand back at all. I just can't stand when people have more to say about the Legend of Aaron Rowand then they do him. He's a good player, that's it. He's a good defender and a plus offensive threat. He's not this godly creature that spews energy from his pours that directly correlates to the success of the 2005 White Sox.
The problem is the ridiculous level of Rowand anger on this site (I'm looking at you CLR and getonbckthr) far exceeds what anyone has said about Rowand. People who dislike him talk about him as a below average MLB player which is just ludicrous. You would need people posting about how Rowand is a lock to hit 50 HR next year if we resigned him to be the equivalent.

wdelaney72
11-24-2007, 12:07 AM

Lip

Gio, Fields, Sweeney for Migual Cabrera. Put Cabrera in Left and keep Crede this season at 3B.

I'm not the GM, Kenny his. Kenny has often been very creative with trades, and I'll leave that area to him.

I don't "hate" Rowand. I just am tired of hearing the knuckleheads cry about losing him in 2006 for Jim Thome. That deal was a steal and if I were Kenny, I'd make it again, and again, and again. He' s just not going to be worth the money he's going to make. Period. That's not "hatred". That's just being tired of hearing people clamor for him when he's just not that great. I know he had a good season in this contract year of his, and his 2004 numbers were good... he was nothing more than average in 2005 and at times downright stupid. He hit a whopping 13 HR, batted .270 with 69 RBI in 2005. The Sox were never high on him and year after year, seemed to only use him out of default. Given his body of work, i.e. career, I just don't think Rowand is that good of a player... which should not be thought of as "hatred".

lewdminx
11-24-2007, 04:30 AM
bummer