PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day 11/20

Lip Man 1
11-20-2007, 11:36 AM
"Yes, I always have my eyes set on the future, but I will tell you this: Last year didn't sit well with any of us. I'll be damned if we go through that again. We will aggressively pursue a championship."

Kenny Williams to Mark Gonzales / Chicago Tribune

Lip

chisox77
11-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Good one, Lip. I agree with that statement, and KW means it. Besides, I am starting to like the Garland for Cabrera deal more and more, because it is obviously a set up for a couple more moves, at least.

:cool:

AJ Hellraiser
11-20-2007, 01:39 PM
As soon as I read that yesterday it made me remember why I love KW so much.. cuz he thinks like we do as fans... he wants to win every year and it kills him inside when we are bad like last season...

I remember when he took the job he made a comment that he believes a farm system is in place to help the big league team either by the young players contributing or by making trades... all geared towards the goal of winning a championship each season...

when he re-signed Buehrle and Dye we all should have known he was going to try bringing another title or 2 home in the next 3 years...

Get 'er done, KW!!!

MCHSoxFan
11-20-2007, 04:08 PM
when he re-signed Buehrle and Dye we all should have known he was going to try bringing another title or 2 home in the next 3 years...

Hey, do NOT forget AJ!!!! :D:

AJ Hellraiser
11-20-2007, 06:23 PM
Another good KW quote...

"We're going to be one of the most dynamic offenses out there,'' Williams said. "I think people will be more excited when some of the other things we're going to do are behind us.''

Not a single person on this board knows what he has up his sleeve... this leads me to believe he is trying to acquire ANOTHER bat and more speed...

All I know is he likes to surprise and sometimes what is being reported isn't what will happen....

This is going to be one fun offseason and I only hope that people on this board don't go crazy after every move and just wait and see how our roster looks when spring training rolls around...

Lip Man 1
11-20-2007, 08:34 PM
AJ:

I sincerely hope you are right but remember hitting and speed only solves half of the Sox problems.

They still need pitching...badly...first in the God-awful bullpen.

Trying to "outslug" opponents with substandard pitching didn't do very well in 2001 through 2004 did it?

Lip

AJ Hellraiser
11-20-2007, 09:24 PM
I completely agree with you Lip... but it leads me to believe he will add a pitcher somehow or is confident 2 of these youngsters he got last offseason are going to pan out....

I would be SHOCKED if Gio isn't the frontrunner for the rotation....

SBSoxFan
11-20-2007, 11:48 PM
Not a single person on this board knows what he has up his sleeve... this leads me to believe he is trying to acquire ANOTHER bat and more speed...

Not even you? Come on, you can tell me.

slavko
11-21-2007, 11:20 AM
"Yes, I always have my eyes set on the future, but I will tell you this: Last year didn't sit well with any of us. I'll be damned if we go through that again. We will aggressively pursue a championship."

Kenny Williams to Mark Gonzales / Chicago Tribune

Lip

What's he really saying? That he wasn't pursuing a championship last year? Talk is cheap. Results are uncertain. Good luck Kenny, and a lot of it is luck.

oeo
11-21-2007, 11:24 AM
What's he really saying? That he wasn't pursuing a championship last year? Talk is cheap. Results are uncertain. Good luck Kenny, and a lot of it is luck.

Yeah, that's exactly what he was getting at... :?:

Honestly, where do some of you come up with this crap? Yep, it's Kenny's goal to make us a losing team...

Ozzie, too, he hates young players; I mean he sets them up to fail. :rolleyes:

Everyone in the organization is against the team...we should clear house. Let's revolt, and then WSI can own the team!

Zisk77
11-21-2007, 11:53 AM
Yeah, that's exactly what he was getting at... :?:

Honestly, where do some of you come up with this crap? Yep, it's Kenny's goal to make us a losing team...

Ozzie, too, he hates young players; I mean he sets them up to fail. :rolleyes:

Everyone in the organization is against the team...we should clear house. Let's revolt, and then WSI can own the team!

Ok, but I'm not be part of any ownership group thatwants to trade for Cory Patterson. Also, we need nancy faust. No Nancy no Zisk!

Frontman
11-21-2007, 04:23 PM
Kenny's saying what we all were thinking. And for me, as long as I see moves being made, I'm happy. Only time will tell if they are the right moves.

I think it was a mistake to bring back as many of the 2006 club as we did, as it didn't get the job done. The moves made so far make me feel that KW will do everything he can to put the best team he can on the field; including bringing back Dye, Burhls, AJ; moving Jon, letting Pods, Erstad and others go.

While I respect the name on the back of the jersey, I root for the team that the jersey represents.

Man, oh man; its gonna be a fun off season!

:D:

BainesHOF
11-21-2007, 04:42 PM
I just wish Williams would keep his mouth shut about upcoming moves until they actually happen. In just two days it looks like the Hunter situation has changed dramatically with the Rangers and Dodgers making significantly better offers.

ilsox7
11-21-2007, 04:43 PM
I just wish Williams would keep his mouth shut above upcoming moves until they actually happen. In just two days it looks like the Hunter situation has changed dramatically with the Rangers and Dodgers making significantly better offers.

Just curious where KW said he was about to sign Torii.

Frontman
11-21-2007, 04:47 PM

He didn't. Sox fans (and more importantly, WSCR/WMVP) did.

Domeshot17
11-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Well if the Torri 6 years/100 mil is true, not saying I want it to happen, but I could see a Crede for Pierre deal in the future, Pierre moving to LF after we sign Rowand/Andruw Jones.

BainesHOF
11-21-2007, 05:07 PM

There's been multiple instances of an unnamed source in the organization being quoted that Hunter was on the verge of signing with us this week. Who do you the source is, Southpaw?

ilsox7
11-21-2007, 05:13 PM
There's been multiple instances of an unnamed source in the organization being quoted that Hunter was on the verge of signing with us this week. Who do you the source is, Southpaw?

I find it odd you 1) trust the media and 2) naturally assume KW has told the media of his plans.

Frontman
11-21-2007, 05:15 PM

I thought us Sox fans learned our lesson as not to listen to un-named sources after Mark Buehrle "likely" and "close" to be re-signed by the Sox took what, 3 to 5 WEEKS to finally get done over the summer?

I don't trust un-named sources.

BainesHOF
11-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Don't forget Williams was quoted directly about obtaining "big fish." My point is such talk serves no positive purpose until it happens. If it doesn't happen, it just turns into a big negative.

santo=dorf
11-27-2007, 07:39 AM
I just wish Williams would keep his mouth shut about upcoming moves until they actually happen. In just two days it looks like the Hunter situation has changed dramatically with the Rangers and Dodgers making significantly better offers.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/angels/2007-11-25-hunter-decision_N.htm

White Sox general manager Kenny Williams told Hunter he would improve the team's speed, vowing to trade for Angels shortstop Orlando Cabrera (http://fantasybaseball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=MLB&id=2485). When he did several days later, Williams left him a text message.
"We got Cabrera. You're next."

Who does KW think he is, Bill Goldberg?

FarWestChicago
11-27-2007, 07:46 AM
Just curious where KW said he was about to sign Torii.http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/angels/2007-11-25-hunter-decision_N.htm

That link does not address ilsox7's question. What you quoted was a recruiting text message between Kenny and Toriiiiii. That does not constitute Kenny announcing in the press he's about to sign Toriiiiii. You also left out the part where Toriiiii said he liked Kenny's approach.

santo=dorf
11-27-2007, 07:51 AM
That link does not address ilsox7's question. What you quoted was a recruiting text message between Kenny and Toriiiiii. That does not constitute Kenny announcing in the press he's about to sign Toriiiiii. You also left out the part where Toriiiii said he liked Kenny's approach.
Oh I agree that KW didn't come out to the public and say it (like "big fish,") but you know KW told someone else after that text message, and someone else told someone else and eventually it made its way to the grapevine.

He should stick to "under the radar" ala Scott Linebrink.

FarWestChicago
11-27-2007, 07:53 AM
Oh I agree that KW didn't come out to the public and say it (like "big fish,") but you know KW told someone else after that text message, and someone else told someone else and eventually it made its way to the grapevine.

He should stick to "under the radar" ala Scott Linebrink.From that article it sounds like Toriiiii was ready to sign and Anaheim just Steinbrennered him. I don't know there is much you can do about that. I don't think they made that offer because other teams were pursuing him. I think they wanted him.

spawn
11-27-2007, 08:01 AM
From that article it sounds like Toriiiii was ready to sign and Anaheim just Steinbrennered him. I don't know there is much you can do about that. I don't think they made that offer because other teams were pursuing him. I think they wanted him.
Yep. That's what I get as well. It appears from the article the Angels GM just asked Torii's agent what his status was. When he realized Torii was still available, he made him an offer he couldn't refuse.