PDA

View Full Version : Devil Rays interested in fat Juan

rowand33
11-20-2007, 10:41 AM
per rototworld:

According to the St. Petersburg Times, the Rays could be interested in Juan Uribe.

Tampa Bay is said to be looking for a defensive upgrade at shortstop, but while Uribe was once an elite defender he's declined with the glove along with gaining weight over the past several years. With Orlando Cabrera now the starter at shortstop, the White Sox will seemingly look to deal Uribe.
Source: St. Petersburg Times (http://blogs.tampabay.com/rays/2007/11/uribe-not-neces.html)
Related: Devil Rays (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_relatednews.aspx?sport=MLB&majteam=TB)

Rocco Baldelli or a PTBNL...

don't really care what we get for Juan, we just need to get his salary off the books.

edit: sorry, didn't see it in the other uribe thread.

Move or delete Mods.

hi im skot
11-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Nice thread title.

balke
11-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Crawford for Uribe, Floyd, and Owens.

whitesoxwilkes
11-20-2007, 11:11 AM
I wonder if we can't throw BA into this deal somehow. Problem is the Rays are pretty deep as far as OFs though, no?

VA_GoGoSox
11-20-2007, 11:13 AM
The DRays already have Brendan Harris who is not much different from Uribe, and probably a lot cheaper. They also have Ben Zobrist who is certainly cheaper than Uribe, and might be a decent MLB player some day. I don't know why they would want Uribe.

spiffie
11-20-2007, 11:13 AM
here come the uribe for crawford rumors....:rolleyes:

Uribe + 2 more...

Of interest from the "what to do with Juan Uribe" thread...note the second person responding.

VA_GoGoSox
11-20-2007, 11:15 AM
I wonder if we can't throw BA into this deal somehow. Problem is the Rays are pretty deep as far as OFs though, no?

Yes. Crawford, Young, Baldelli, Dukes, Upton, and Gomes. They're not hurting for OF's.

rowand33
11-20-2007, 11:21 AM
The DRays already have Brendan Harris who is not much different from Uribe, and probably a lot cheaper. They also have Ben Zobrist who is certainly cheaper than Uribe, and might be a decent MLB player some day. I don't know why they would want Uribe.

bad organizations pick up terrible players that they don't need all the time.

doublem23
11-20-2007, 11:33 AM
bad organizations pick up terrible players that they don't need all the time.

Seriously, if Kenny can't fleece the D-Rays into taking our crap, who can he pull the rug out from under?

gregory18n
11-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Uribe, Floyd & Fields for Crawford.

Gammons Peter
11-20-2007, 11:53 AM

throw in Gio too

sullythered
11-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Who plays 3rd in 2009 after Boras and Crede are in L.A. or wherever?

sullythered
11-20-2007, 11:54 AM
throw in Gio too
Gio is no "throw in."

russ99
11-20-2007, 11:55 AM
If we sign a CF, we don't need Crawford, we won't get Upton and don't want Dukes and Gomes.

So Baldelli might not be a bad idea. He's always been injured and still has question marks, so the Rays might give him up for Uribe, and a few prospects, let's say Phillips and Carter.

Then Baldelli can lead off and play LF and Owens can fill in if he's out with another injury.

eriqjaffe
11-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Seriously, if Kenny can't fleece the D-Rays into taking our crap, who can he pull the rug out from under?Ed Wade's in Houston now, right?

russ99
11-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Ed Wade's in Houston now, right?

Har-de-har. :tongue:

Yes he is and doing a pretty good job so far. Ex-GM Purpura was eminently more fleecable, and the Astros won't want Uribe. They need the same things the Sox do, a #2 or 3 starter, a second baseman and relief help. Adam Everett's set at SS, for now, and Chris Burke's the fallback at 2B.

I don't see a deal here. Plus the Astros farm system is in worse shape than the Sox, so they'd want prospects back in any deal.

sullythered
11-20-2007, 11:59 AM
If we sign a CF, we don't need Crawford, we won't get Upton and don't want Dukes and Gomes.

So Baldelli might not be a bad idea. He's always been injured and still has question marks, so the Rays might give him up for Uribe, and a few prospects, let's say Phillips and Carter.

Then Baldelli can lead off and play LF and Owens can fill in if he's out with another injury.
Yeah, assuming the Hunter deal happens, Baldelli seems like the best fit.

upperdeckusc
11-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Ed Wade's in Houston now, right?

my thoughts exactly. he's been wheeling and dealing lately: very active. since there's no big free agent SS on the market, he might be interested, especially since we won't be asking for a lot in return.

palehozenychicty
11-20-2007, 12:19 PM
I know that they just traded for Scutaro to be their utilityman, but they still need a solid short, as The Choice did not cut it. Uribe, for his indifference, is much much better than him. They have a recovering Chacin who isn't slated to make their roster and Brandon League, a good young arm that struggled somewhat last year. Any thoughts on a Uribe for League/Chacin deal? It's junk for junk, but Chacin is a respectable arm when he has thrown, and League can compete for a pen slot.

thedudeabides
11-20-2007, 12:31 PM

Crawford is a left fielder. Why wouldn't we need him if we sign a CF?

cws05champ
11-20-2007, 12:49 PM
I know that they just traded for Scutaro to be their utilityman, but they still need a solid short, as The Choice did not cut it. Uribe, for his indifference, is much much better than him. They have a recovering Chacin who isn't slated to make their roster and Brandon League, a good young arm that struggled somewhat last year. Any thoughts on a Uribe for League/Chacin deal? It's junk for junk, but Chacin is a respectable arm when he has thrown, and League can compete for a pen slot.

Brandon League was hurt for a lot of last year, but has a great arm...Kenny's type of pitcher. Not a bad idea, but I don't think the Jays give up on Chacin just yet.

DumpJerry
11-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Crawford is a left fielder. Why wouldn't we need him if we sign a CF?
Hunter is just that good.

johnr1note
11-20-2007, 01:45 PM
No one's commented on this, but aren't they just the "rays" now, not the "Devil rays?"

RedHeadPaleHoser
11-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Seriously, if Kenny can't fleece the D-Rays into taking our crap, who can he pull the rug out from under?

Chicago Cubs Baseball Club
1060 W Addison Street
Chicago, IL

312-911

jabrch
11-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Brandon League was hurt for a lot of last year, but has a great arm...Kenny's type of pitcher. Not a bad idea, but I don't think the Jays give up on Chacin just yet.

Kenny always seems like he is Chacin someone...

soxfan26
11-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Why does the title of this thread make me hungry?

Zisk77
11-20-2007, 02:26 PM

We still would need a LF and a leadoff hitter. Crawford can do both (although 2 or 3 would probable be a better slot for Crawford).

kruzer31
11-20-2007, 03:19 PM

Crawford plays LF

Crawford LF
Cabrerra SS
Hunter CF
Thome DH
Konerko 1b
Dye RF
Crede 3b
A.J. C
Richar 2b

I like that look

Jeff

gregory18n
11-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Absolutely, that lineup is Beautiful!

AWhiteSoxinNJ
11-20-2007, 07:01 PM
From MLBTraderumors.com...

UPDATE: Good stuff from Eduardo Encina (http://blogs.tampabay.com/rays/2007/11/uribe-not-neces.html). Apparently the Rays don't like Uribe's weight or price tag, and their interest is "very limited." By the way, per Keith Law, Uribe can be traded despite being signed as a free agent by the Sox.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/rays/2007/11/uribe-not-neces.html

Jurr
11-20-2007, 07:08 PM
I love the way Kenny raved about Juan in his press conference. I feel Juan brings two things:

1.)One of the best gloves/arms in baseball from the SS position...when he's focused.
2.)The ability to really inject life into a lineup.....for about one week every two months.

I have always been a big Juan Uribe fan, for some weird reason. However, I'm glad to see his time is almost up (though it makes another 200 dollar jersey go up in smoke).

I just don't see any team in baseball giving up very much at all to acquire his services. I mean, honestly....who would give up much of anything to get him?

TheVulture
11-21-2007, 12:26 PM
Crawford plays LF

Crawford LF
Cabrerra SS
Hunter CF
Thome DH
Konerko 1b
Dye RF
Crede 3b
A.J. C
Richar 2b

I like that look

Jeff

If KW puts together that lineup (not that I'd bat Hunter 3rd, though - but thats irrelevant so I'm not even sure now why I'm typing this) AND shores up the pitching staff, I'm giving him a lifetime pass. Of course, if Crede's not healthy we'd be screwed, so I'll have to say Crede has to be healthy, too.

TheVulture
11-21-2007, 12:28 PM
I have always been a big Juan Uribe fan, for some weird reason. However, I'm glad to see his time is almost up (though it makes another 200 dollar jersey go up in smoke).

I don't think it's weird, Juan has been a heck of a shortstop for us who made some incredible and exciting plays. And he's fun to watch hit - at least that 1 week every two months KW was talking about.

russ99
11-21-2007, 01:06 PM
Crawford plays LF

Crawford LF
Cabrerra SS
Hunter CF
Thome DH
Konerko 1b
Dye RF
Crede 3b
A.J. C
Richar 2b

I like that look

Jeff

That lineup and the rest of our team = $120-130M payroll. Ain't gonna happen. Plus Crawford isn't a leadoff hitter, he's a #3 or #2 if necessary.

We need a high-average/high-on base guy, not another slugger.

Domeshot17
11-21-2007, 01:15 PM
That lineup and the rest of our team = $120-130M payroll. Ain't gonna happen. Plus Crawford isn't a leadoff hitter, he's a #3 or #2 if necessary.

315 avg 355 ob 11 homers makes a slugger?

315 avg 355 OBP INFRONT of Cabrera who has speed and will hit between 280 and 300 with a 325ish obp would be great especially if they combine for 70-80 stolen bases.

Crawford still needs work as a base runner, but he steals bases at an 83.33% clip, a very nice percentage!

EDIT: allllll that said, TB will never trade him. Ive said it for years and still believe

MISoxfan
11-25-2007, 02:35 PM

51 million
65 million
75 million
102 million
108 million

We're heading towards a $120-130M payroll, lets do it a year earlier. Crawford is a number 3?? Thome is our number 3 until he is gone. Crawford is a number 2 or number 1.

slavko
11-26-2007, 10:48 AM
I love the way Kenny raved about Juan in his press conference. I feel Juan brings two things:

1.)One of the best gloves/arms in baseball from the SS position...when he's focused.
2.)The ability to really inject life into a lineup.....for about one week every two months.

I just don't see any team in baseball giving up very much at all to acquire his services. I mean, honestly....who would give up much of anything to get him?

I know it's not pertinent (maybe) but The Learning Channel is running an hour-long feature on Manuel Uribe, a 1225-pound man from Monterrey, Mexico and his attempts to control his weight. You don't think it runs in the family do you? Knowing TLC runs programs over and over, check your TV guide if you want to know what a 1225-pound man looks like almost naked.