PDA

View Full Version : Silly Idea....but still

WhiteSox5187
11-20-2007, 01:18 AM
I've often said that while I like David Eckstein, I didn't want him playing shortstop and that's because of his arm, but I think he'd be a great second baseman. What would you guys think if we signed Eckstein and had him play second? Now...this is assuming of course that he comes at the right price, but I think a middle infield and top of the order with Eckstein and Cabrera would be a hell of a middle infield. Or is that just more crazy talk?

A. Cavatica
11-20-2007, 01:35 AM
What would you guys think if we signed Eckstein and had him play second? Now...this is assuming of course that he comes at the right price

I'd rather sign A-Rod and have him play second, assuming he comes at the right price.

:duck:

ChiSoxFan35
11-20-2007, 01:59 AM
I don't watch Cabrera at all, so this might sound dumb, but what's his defense like? Yes, I know, he's a gold glover, but we just had a topic on that weeks ago how meaningless that could be. I know nothing of his range and stuff like that. If Richar doesn't work out, would it be insane to keep Uribe at SS and Cabrera at 2B?

This is also assuming Uribe stays, but right now Kenny is talking about a 2B competition between Uribe and Richar if he doesn't find a deal, and I just can't picture Uribe playing 2nd

oeo
11-20-2007, 02:34 AM
I've often said that while I like David Eckstein, I didn't want him playing shortstop and that's because of his arm, but I think he'd be a great second baseman. What would you guys think if we signed Eckstein and had him play second? Now...this is assuming of course that he comes at the right price, but I think a middle infield and top of the order with Eckstein and Cabrera would be a hell of a middle infield. Or is that just more crazy talk?

I think you're underestimating the abilities of Danny Richar.

And we can't just sign a bunch of guys to long term contracts that are getting up there in age. It's time to insert at least some youth into this team. They're doing it in the rotation...now we need some in the lineup.

DumpJerry
11-20-2007, 07:24 AM
And we can't just sign a bunch of guys to long term contracts that are getting up there in age. It's time to insert at least some youth into this team. They're doing it in the rotation...now we need some in the lineup.
That's the formula the Red Sox followed after the 2004 World Series. Their roster in 2007 was very different than the 2004 roster. Their current roster is a mixture of youth and vets.

Corlose 15
11-20-2007, 07:33 AM
I think you're underestimating the abilities of Danny Richar.

I agree, at some point we have to let this young kids play and see what they can do. There were a lot of things that Richar did that I liked but he has to improve, as does Fields, Danks, Floyd, etc. However, the fact that he didn't hit .330 as a midseason rookie doesn't mean that he can't succeed. At some point these guys need an honest chance and it appears the Sox are willing to give it to them.

The White Sox aren't the Yankees, they don't have the payroll flexibility to sink huge contracts into veterans at every position and still be competitive. Even that hasn't worked too well for the Yankees, (I guess if you consider losing in the 1st round every year, not too well, but I'd want more out of a 200M payroll)