PDA

View Full Version : Hunter to sign with the Sox soon?

Rockabilly
11-19-2007, 05:08 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/658098,hunter111907.article

Sockinchisox
11-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Ya wow, I just saw this.

Umm this is odd considering the Rangers are meeting with him tonight again.

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 05:14 PM
That would be a very nice and pleasant move to see. Also I think the Sox should trade Crede for bulpen help and not a lead off hitter and possibly go for a Shannon Stewart and platoon him with Jerry Owens in left

Rockabilly
11-19-2007, 05:16 PM
God I hope this is true

veeter
11-19-2007, 05:16 PM
IMO, it's down to the Sox and Texas. The Rangers will no doubt make a crazy Texas/Hendry like offer. They'll beat the Sox in money and years. It'll hopefully come down to Kenny's salesmanship. Kenny, I think feels he has him in his back pocket already.

socko82
11-19-2007, 05:17 PM
While an agreement had not been reached as of Monday afternoon, the source said that “the climate’’ was there for a deal to be announced soon, unless another team comes in at the last second and blows Hunter away with an offer.

ESPN is reporting he's having dinner at Tom Hicks' home tonight.

JermaineDye05
11-19-2007, 05:23 PM
While an agreement had not been reached as of Monday afternoon, the source said that “the climate’’ was there for a deal to be announced soon, unless another team comes in at the last second and blows Hunter away with an offer.

ESPN is reporting he's having dinner at Tom Hicks' home tonight.Yeah I heard that over the weekend. Hopefully Torii tells them, 'Sorry I've made a promise to Kenny' much like JD. Although I won't be surprised if the Rangers make him a big offer he can't refuse. I'm not going to believe this until it happens.

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Yeah I heard that over the weekend. Hopefully Torii tells them, 'Sorry I've made a promise to Kenny' much like JD. Although I won't be surprised if the Rangers make him a big offer he can't refuse. I'm not going to believe this until it happens.
guess you'll believe it in a week or so:D:

HomeFish
11-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Dye rejected a bigger offer from Texas to sign here. I don't think he regrets doing that.

But the difference was that Dye gave his word to KW that he'd sign here before Texas made the offer, and Dye felt it would offend his personal sense of honor to break his word. So it may not be analogous.

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Dye rejected a bigger offer from Texas to sign here. I don't think he regrets doing that.

But the difference was that Dye gave his word to KW that he'd sign here before Texas made the offer, and Dye felt it would offend his personal sense of honor to break his word. So it may not be analogous.
Hopefully Hunter realizes the chances to win are better off here and if he has to he takes a smaller contract from the Sox for the chance to win a championship

DumpJerry
11-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Hunter knows with the larger market (Chicago), his endorsement value for local stuff is higher.

I know Hunter is from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, but how can anyone choose to play in that bloody heat when there is an option available?

Sockinchisox
11-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Hunter knows with the larger market (Chicago), his endorsement value for local stuff is higher.

I know Hunter is from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, but how can anyone choose to play in that bloody heat when there is an option available?

$$$$$

DumpJerry
11-19-2007, 05:56 PM

$$$$$
Sock: my point is that he can make up in local endorsements what the Sox won't pay compared to Texas. Also, being with the Sox, he'll get more national exposure, so his big picture endorsement value is higher here.

Sockinchisox
11-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Oh, alright gotcha.

KRS1
11-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Sock: my point is that he can make up in local endorsements what the Sox won't pay compared to Texas. Also, being with the Sox, he'll get more national exposure, so his big picture endorsement value is higher here.

I don't see exactly what huge endorsement will be thrown his way here over Texas. Please show me an example of endorsement deals for Sox players compared to similar Rangers players. I have a hard time believing he would would make up anything remotely close to the extra money per over the duration, as well as what comes with extra year/years by doing endorsements.

jdm2662
11-19-2007, 06:01 PM
GOt to love the "sources" story. Hunter will sign with whoever gives him the most money. I won't believe anything until the ink is dry on the contract.

ZombieRob
11-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Does Pods stay in LF or does K.W try an acquire a leadoff man.Up the middle the Sox will seem real strong with 2 gold Glover's.

upperdeckusc
11-19-2007, 06:04 PM
....or this could be another situation where hunter is saying nothing but good things to jack up the price on both ends.
he'll go to texas tonight to say "wow, i'm very impressed with KW and chicago. unless another offer sweeps me off my feet...."

and then when texas does that, he'll tell KW "texas swept in and gave me an offer thats hard to refuse. so if you can top THIS offer, i'm all yours....."

i dont think this tells me anything more than i knew about a week ago...

Rockabilly
11-19-2007, 06:09 PM
the Sox might be adding 2 gold glove winners this week that will help our pitching staff alot... Hopefully KW can also add a solid LF maybe Crawford :)

DumpJerry
11-19-2007, 06:11 PM
I don't see exactly what huge endorsement will be thrown his way here over Texas. Please show me an example of endorsement deals for Sox players compared to similar Rangers players. I have a hard time believing he would would make up anything remotely close to the extra money per over the duration, as well as what comes with extra year/years by doing endorsements.
I'm sure, for example, a car dealership in Chicago pays more than one in Dallas for a commercial. I'm just using a car dealership as an example. By virtue of Chicago being a larger market, there are more choices for Hunter here.

infohawk
11-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Just to add an interesting comment made by KW a brief while ago on Comcast. KW was asked about where things stood with Hunter. I'm paraphrasing, but his response was that he thinks most of the talk surrounding a player comes from teams that probably aren't really going to get the player. He then stated that he didn't really want to discuss the situation further. Could he be asking people to read between the lines in a way that protects him if Torii does sign elsewhere? I mean, then people couldn't say, "well KW said he thought things we're looking good regarding Hunter." I do think KW at least strongly believes Hunter will sign with the Sox.

EDIT: Alright, I heard the quote again. In the interest of being accurate, what he said was more like "I've learned that the things you talk about the most are the things that are unlikely to happen." It pretty much means the same thing as my paraphrase above, I had just applied the sentiment more directly to the situation at hand.

KRS1
11-19-2007, 06:25 PM
I'm sure, for example, a car dealership in Chicago pays more than one in Dallas for a commercial. I'm just using a car dealership as an example. By virtue of Chicago being a larger market, there are more choices for Hunter here.

I'm sorry, that doesn't convince me in the least that there is this huge difference in local endorsements that are going to make up anything close to the difference of an extra year, and possibly a couple more MM a year. Not even close. I know you could probably care less to "convince me", but I just can't help but question this statement. Fantastic, so he gets what.....ten thousand more for a car commercial? Maybe? I just find it really hard to believe that a baseball player like Torii goes into a city looking at millions of dollars in difference for local endorsements from any other city(accept the extremes like KC to NY etc.). Seriously though, show me an example of endorsement deals baseball players have signed in Chicago and in the Dallas area, that show some substantial difference that would make it worth turning down somewhere in the area of $20MM.

BTW, don't take offense to this, as it isn't nearly as much in criticism of your post as it is curiosity on my part as to what a baseball player like Torii could expect in a given market.

Chicken Dinner
11-19-2007, 06:25 PM
ESPN is reporting he's having dinner at Tom Hicks' home tonight.

I wonder what they're having?:messica

Sockinchisox
11-19-2007, 06:29 PM
I'm sorry, that doesn't convince me in the least that there is this huge difference in local endorsements that are going to make up anything close to the difference of an extra year, and possibly a couple more MM a year. Not even close. I know you could probably care less to "convince me", but I just can't help but question this statement. Fantastic, so he gets what.....ten thousand more for a car commercial? Maybe? I just find it really hard to believe that a baseball player like Torii goes into a city looking at millions of dollars in difference for local endorsements from any other city(accept the extremes like KC to NY etc.). Seriously though, show me an example of endorsement deals baseball players have signed in Chicago and in the Dallas area, that show some substantial difference that would make it worth turning down somewhere in the area of $20MM.

BTW, don't take offense to this, as it isn't nearly as much in criticism of your post as it is curiosity on my part as to what a baseball player like Torii could expect in a given market.

This really isn't Chicago based but I'm sure Soriano got quite a few dollars for his UnderArmour Ads.

KyWhiSoxFan
11-19-2007, 06:32 PM
One selling point Texas has is money: Texas is freed up of $21-million from not having to pay ARod, and that money was surely in the budget to be spent before ARod came to the rescure.

If KW came in and met Hunter's price and terms from the start, I would have to believe Texas would have to come in a lot higher, by 2- or 3-million or year, to get him.

soxinem1
11-19-2007, 06:39 PM
the Sox might be adding 2 gold glove winners this week that will help our pitching staff alot... Hopefully KW can also add a solid LF maybe Crawford :)

If Hunter lands here, you can forget Crawford. Not that they cannot afford him, but TB will want a stack in return.

Baldelli, Jenkins, or Crisp might be in LF for us in 2008, and that is not a bad group to pick from for LF, IMHO. Baldelli would be a nice sleeper option. Two CF's on one team, and Cabrera at SS? That's throwin' some leather, and the need for a legit lead-off man is lessened, as there will be four or five guys with 20-30 SB potential.

Domeshot17
11-19-2007, 06:45 PM
If Hunter lands here, you can forget Crawford. Not that they cannot afford him, but TB will want a stack in return.

Baldelli, Jenkins, or Crisp might be in LF for us in 2008, and that is not a bad group to pick from for LF, IMHO. Baldelli would be a nice sleeper option. Two CF's on one team, and Cabrera at SS? That's throwin' some leather, and the need for a legit lead-off man is lessened, as there will be four or five guys with 20-30 SB potential.

Baldelli is awesome, but we would have to time it right to spell his DL time with Pods and limit Owens

DickAllen72
11-19-2007, 06:46 PM

The Sox will need someone who can backup RF.

Isn't Bobby Kielty a FA? He would look good on the Sox bench backing up RF, 1B and DH.

Tragg
11-19-2007, 06:56 PM
That would be a very nice and pleasant move to see. Also I think the Sox should trade Crede for bulpen help and not a lead off hitter and possibly go for a Shannon Stewart and platoon him with Jerry Owens in left
Please, don't trade a gold-glove 3B for a middle reliever.

rowand33
11-19-2007, 07:12 PM

I'd rather we do that than trade him for Juan Pierre (something I really think could happen)

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 07:13 PM
well Crede has absolute no value right now and any gm willing to part way with a top prospect is an idiot for a guy who hasnt played in 6 months. We NEED bulpen help and we can get it from him and besides Crede would be gone after this upcoming year cause we all know that Fields is the future and not Crede.

Chicken Dinner
11-19-2007, 07:14 PM
One selling point Texas has is money: Texas is freed up of $21-million from not having to pay ARod, and that money was surely in the budget to be spent before ARod came to the rescure.

If KW came in and met Hunter's price and terms from the start, I would have to believe Texas would have to come in a lot higher, by 2- or 3-million or year, to get him.

Texas has no state income tax either.

Sockinchisox
11-19-2007, 07:14 PM
I'd rather we do that than trade him for Juan Pierre (something I really think could happen)

Lord no, I don't want Juan Pierre anywhere near this team.

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 07:16 PM
Lord no, I don't want Juan Pierre anywhere near this team.
Id take them if the Dodgers payed gave us 30 mil over the course of the 4 years:D:

Rockabilly
11-19-2007, 07:18 PM
I got a text from a friend in TX and he says that 820AM in TX is reporting that no meeting is taking place tonight between Hunter and the Rangers because it looks like he is going to take the Sox offer...

I'm not to sure if this is true or not.. Has it been reported in Chicago

Tragg
11-19-2007, 07:19 PM

AHHHHHHHHHH

rowand33
11-19-2007, 07:25 PM
AHHHHHHHHHH

I know. It's a terrifying thought.

Somebody has to play LF and leadoff though, and I'm assuming Pierre will be very available...

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 07:26 PM
I know. It's a terrifying thought.

Somebody has to play LF and leadoff though, and I'm assuming Pierre will be very available...
I'm hearing that the Dodgers would rather part ways with Andre Either than Juan Pierre

Sockinchisox
11-19-2007, 07:27 PM
I got a text from a friend in TX and he says that 820AM in TX is reporting that no meeting is taking place tonight between Hunter and the Rangers because it looks like he is going to take the Sox offer...

Nothing has been reported, I checked 820 but they have a hockey pre-game show or something on.

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 07:27 PM

That would be an amazing thing cause Texas is our only competion for Hunter

oeo
11-19-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm hearing that the Dodgers would rather part ways with Andre Either than Juan Pierre

I'm sure...

soxyess
11-19-2007, 07:31 PM
Friend of mine in St. Paul called me and said Sludge and Lake on KFAN in Minn, are reporting that the WS and Hunter have agreed in principle on a deal.

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 07:31 PM
I'm sure...
No I read about it somewhere...I think it might of been mlbtraderumors a couple weeks back. They were saying they would think Either would bring back more value and they want speed still and leadership and Pierre was what they are looking for. I'll look for the link if I can find it

DumpJerry
11-19-2007, 07:32 PM

:praying::praying::praying:

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 07:32 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 07:33 PM
I LOVE kENNY!!!!!!SAYING THAT ONCE A DOMINO FALLS THEN YOU'LL SEE IT ALL AND NOW YOU ARE!!!!! IF TRUE I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!:gulp:

hi im skot
11-19-2007, 07:33 PM
I LOVE kENNY!!!!!!SAYING THAT ONCE A DOMINO FALLS THEN YOU'LL SEE IT ALL AND NOW YOU ARE!!!!! IF TRUE I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!:gulp:

Whoa.

oeo
11-19-2007, 07:34 PM
No I read about it somewhere...I think it might of been mlbtraderumors a couple weeks back. They were saying they would think Either would bring back more value and they want speed still and leadership and Pierre was what they are looking for. I'll look for the link if I can find it

I highly doubt the Dodgers are more inclined to trade Ethier. That may be their plan because they cannot unload Pierre for pitching after signing him to that atrocious deal, but that's about it. Ethier is 25 and going to be a stud.

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Whoa.
lol....I'm just excited cause I have always been a Torri Hunter fan and one of my good friends is a Twins fan and loves Torri and he kept on saying if Hunter went to the Sox he would kill himself. I love this move.

Sockinchisox
11-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Omg Please!

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Omg Please!!!!!!!!!!!
Watch this guy just made this thread to bs us. I would be so pissed

KRS1
11-19-2007, 07:37 PM
lol....I'm just excited cause I have always been a Torri Hunter fan and one of my good friends is a Twins fan and loves Torri and he kept on saying if Hunter went to the Sox he would kill himself. I love this move.

And you are excited over this possibility. :?: With friends like you.....:redneck

WhiteSox5187
11-19-2007, 07:37 PM
That's good!!! Now get Rowand for LF!!!

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 07:38 PM
good luck with getting both but that would be awesome

Sockinchisox
11-19-2007, 07:39 PM
I have KFAN and ESPN 1000 on right now.

I've never had this much fun waiting for Heroes to come on ha.

gogosox16
I'm just waiting for someone to hear it on the raido here in Chicago or something posted on the web.

soxfan1983

Now lets trade Crede for Crawford for LF!

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 07:40 PM
I have KFAN and ESPN 1000 on right now.

I've never had this much fun waiting for Heroes to come on ha.
Damn I foregot Heroes is on tonight....I got to go record before it starts so I can wait to see if he sign the princliples of a deal with the sox.

KRS1
11-19-2007, 07:40 PM
I'm just waiting for someone to hear it on the raido here in Chicago or something posted on the web.

Yeah, I'm not doubting it, but I find it funny that stations in Minny and Texas would be reporting this before ones in Chicago.

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 07:41 PM
Now lets trade Crede for Crawford for LF!
Yes:D:. We would be unstoppable.....We'll give them Cintron and Brian Anderson too.

soxyess
I called my friend and told him he better not be BSing me. He insists he heard it. He's a Sox fan so I dont think he would BS me.

oeo
Yeah, I'm not doubting it, but I find it funny that stations in Minny and Texas would be reporting this before ones in Chicago.

Well, since Levine wasn't the first to pick up on it, it might be true.

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 07:42 PM
I can see Minny but not Texas...by now you think the word would be out and Chicago stations would say something

KRS1
11-19-2007, 07:42 PM

Good point.

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 07:43 PM
So it must be true!!!!:bandance:

DumpJerry
11-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Yes:D:. We would be unstoppable.....We'll give them Cintron and Brian Anderson too.
No. Save them for the Cubs for that Zambrano deal which will save Cubs a ton of $$$$ and fill the hole created by Garland's departure.

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 07:45 PM
No. Save them for the Cubs for that Zambrano deal which will save Cubs a ton of $$$$ and fill the hole created by Garland's departure.
Good thinking

DumpJerry
11-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Good thinking
I think Brian will love Wrigleyville. He can party all the time right outside the game.

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 07:48 PM
I think Brian will love Wrigleyville. He can party all the time right outside the game.
Walk into the clubhouse 5 minutes before game time and play.

Sockinchisox
11-19-2007, 07:50 PM
I doubt this is true, I just do, you can't confirm this on either of the stations because both have sports games on.

gogosox16
Anyone here anything on the Radio yet?

soxfan1983
so has anyone heard anything on the radio etc in chicago yet to confirm this?

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 07:53 PM
I called my friend and told him he better not be BSing me. He insists he heard it. He's a Sox fan so I dont think he would BS me.
Hey Soxyess if your friend is BSing us and I spent time acting like an idiot getting excited about Hunter I want your friends # so I can give him a peace of my mind.:wink:

soxyess
If he's BSing us Ill post his number on here :angry:

oeo
so has anyone heard anything on the radio etc in chicago yet to confirm this?

Nothing on ESPN1000.

soxyess
11-19-2007, 07:54 PM
I called him again, and he insists thats exactly what he heard.

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 07:56 PM
670 the score update in a few im going to go listen and i'll be back

Sockinchisox
11-19-2007, 07:57 PM
670 the score update in a few im going to go listen and i'll be back

It won't be on, MNF.

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 07:59 PM
It won't be on, MNF.
Didn't realized that...went to the radio and I was thinking *** is this?

WSox73
11-19-2007, 08:03 PM
Kaplan is on WGN. So far, nothing.:(:

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Kaplan is on WGN. So far, nothing.:(:
Started to get pissed...missing heroes because of this:angry:

DumpJerry
11-19-2007, 08:05 PM
I'm guessing Chicago media won't say anything until the White Sox make it official.

Might be a long night........

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 08:06 PM
I'm guessing Chicago media won't say anything until the White Sox make it official.

Might be a long night........
Well I got all night...I only have 2 test tomorrow and then I go on Thanksgiving Break. By the way, I hope everyone has a nice Thanksgiving

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Well I got all night...I only have 2 test tomorrow and then I go on Thanksgiving Break. By the way, I hope everyone has a nice Thanksgiving

Same here, but who hasn't blow off a couple tests in the past?

Sockinchisox
11-19-2007, 08:08 PM
What really sucks is by the time MNF is over, they'll have on national programming on instead of local.

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 08:08 PM
What really sucks is by the time MNF is over, they'll have on national programming on instead of local.
Comcastsportsnet at 10

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm pissed....I'm going to watch heroes and I'll be back in an our and hopefully by then its is true

JorgeFabregas
11-19-2007, 08:20 PM
If it's true you shouldn't have to wait for the end of national programming on the sports radio stations--it should be on some blog or online version of a newspaper sometime soon. At least "radio stations x and y report..." even if the actual deal isn't confirmed yet.

Sockinchisox
11-19-2007, 08:25 PM
I hope I'm wrong but I'm calling bogus.

WSox73
11-19-2007, 08:26 PM
They're about to talk Sox on'GN so we'll see...

sox1970
11-19-2007, 08:27 PM
I hope I'm wrong but I'm calling bogus.

Agreed.

roylestillman
11-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Hold on folks. There is no way the Sox will make both announcements in the same day. Why kill your own story on the front page? KW already telegraphed that he was making another annuncement "by the end of the week." I assume this is it. Tomorrow the earliest. I'm betting Friday.

Had to wait this long just to get the "new sod" stories in the papers out of the way.

WSox73
11-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Rosenthal has a story saying the Dodgers are now the frontrunners to land
M. Cabrerra and are leaning towards Rowand for CF. Maybe there is something to this. Just not today.:smile:

HomeFish
11-19-2007, 08:53 PM
I'll laugh if it turned out that the radio station in Minnesota was getting its news from this WSI thread.

Sockinchisox
11-19-2007, 08:56 PM
I mean I'd believe this if there was something on a Rangers or Twins board, but I've seen nothing.

Someone else would had to have heard SOMETHING.

Rockabilly
11-19-2007, 08:56 PM
http://www.startribune.com/blogs/neal/?p=271

CHIsoxNation
11-19-2007, 09:03 PM
http://www.startribune.com/blogs/neal/?p=271

Looks like someone quotes a Suntimes article in there. Sounds like they don't know much more than we do.

voodoochile
11-19-2007, 09:14 PM

If you were at the airport when you received this text, it would be so perfect...

MrT27
11-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Even though we are getting at best 3rd hand information that may or not even be true it does have me excited.

voodoochile
11-19-2007, 09:29 PM
Even though we are getting at best 3rd hand information that may or not even be true it does have me excited.

There does appear to be an awful lot of smoke...

fusillirob1983
11-19-2007, 09:33 PM
If you were at the airport when you received this text, it would be so perfect...

Hopefully the Phoenix airport.

Sockinchisox
11-19-2007, 09:34 PM
Lord I hate Hood.

He goes "By the way this breaking new comes from ESPN 1000....(some player) is garbage".

Sockinchisox
11-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Levine is coming up next on ESPN 1000.

Sockinchisox
11-19-2007, 09:47 PM
He says the Sox are by far the leaders in the Torii Hunter sweepstakes, and he could be signed before Thanksgiving.

Edit: By the way, who wants to bet Levine is the Sun-Times "source"

CHIsoxNation
11-19-2007, 09:49 PM
He says the Sox are by far the leaders in the Torii Hunter sweepstakes, and he could be signed before Thanksgiving.

So does this mean we don't stand a chance?

Sockinchisox
11-19-2007, 09:52 PM
So does this mean we don't stand a chance?

Ya, pretty much.

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Alright I want to know at least this....Did or did not Torri Hunter have dinner with the Texas Rangers owners today?

cws05champ
11-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Hold on folks. There is no way the Sox will make both announcements in the same day. Why kill your own story on the front page? KW already telegraphed that he was making another annuncement "by the end of the week." I assume this is it. Tomorrow the earliest. I'm betting Friday.

Had to wait this long just to get the "new sod" stories in the papers out of the way.

Have you learned nothing from Kenny? Wednesday's the day man!!!! It's always Wednesday.
It's like you're dreaming Gorgonzola cheese when it's clearly Bree time baby!

voodoochile
11-19-2007, 10:27 PM
Alright I want to know at least this....Did or did not Torri Hunter have dinner with the Texas Rangers owners today?

It's a mystery...

sox1970
11-19-2007, 10:28 PM
Alright I want to know at least this....Did or did not Torii Hunter have dinner with the Texas Rangers owners today?

I'd say if he did not meet with the Rangers tonight, we'd know about it by now.

Sockinchisox
11-19-2007, 10:37 PM
rotoworld is just reporting what we already know, citing the sun-times article as their source.

DumpJerry
11-19-2007, 10:40 PM
:KW
He he he he he.....

infohawk
11-19-2007, 10:42 PM

Edit: By the way, who wants to bet Levine is the Sun-Times "source"
Cowley has sources from both sides:Sources both in the Sox organization and the camp of free-agent outfielder Torii Hunter have told the Sun-Times that the two sides could be signing a contract within the week.
I would flip your statement on its head. What do you want to be that the Cowley article is Bruce Levine's source?:D:

voodoochile
11-19-2007, 10:47 PM
Okay, do people really believe something is going to break on this in the next 9 hours or so minimum?

Go to bed, it's not happening tonight. That's what I'm doing...

Oh and I just got a call from a friend in the Texas airport. They heard TorIIII on his phone talking with KW and my friend heard TorIIII say, "5 years, $75M with an option for 6 if I hit the games played in year 5 or I can buy it out and you still give me $5M? I'll be there to sign the paperwork in the morning." Then TorIIII hugged the lady he was with and tipped the skycap a $100 bill, extended his finger out from his hand at shoulder level and while spinning in a circle screamed, "I can buy all you ****ers! TorIIII is in the hizouse!"

Martinigirl
11-19-2007, 10:48 PM
Cowley has sources from both sides:Sources both in the Sox organization and the camp of free-agent outfielder Torii Hunter have told the Sun-Times that the two sides could be signing a contract within the week.
I would flip your statement on its head. What do you want to be that the Cowley article is Bruce Levine's source?:D:

I think that is much more likely than Cowley using Levine for information.

Domeshot17
11-19-2007, 10:51 PM
Okay, do people really believe something is going to break on this in the next 9 hours or so minimum?
6 ye

Oh and I just got a call from a friend in the Texas airport. They heard TorIIII on his phone talking with KW and my friend heard TorIIII say, "5 years, $75M with an option for 6 if I hit the games played in year 5 or I can buy it out and you still give me $5M? I'll be there to sign the paperwork in the morning." Then TorIIII hugged the lady he was with and tipped the skycap a $100 bill, extended his finger out from his hand at shoulder level and while spinning in a circle screamed, "I can buy all you ****ers! TorIIII is in the hizouse!"

Well I know Aaron Rowand's wife and she called me and she said Aaron is upset because Torii called him and gloated how the Sox picked him first. The deal is actually 6 years and 80 million but can be worth as much as 94 million depending on Curt Schilling's Weight

chitown13
11-19-2007, 10:52 PM

Awesome! Especially the last sentence. Good stuff Voodoo

DumpJerry
11-19-2007, 10:53 PM
A friend just saw Torii at Sears waiting for them to open for Black Friday. He said they are having a special on white socks.

TheOldRoman
11-19-2007, 10:55 PM
Well I know Aaron Rowand's wife and she called me and she said Aaron is upset because Torii called him and gloated how the Sox picked him first. The deal is actually 6 years and 80 million but can be worth as much as 94 million depending on Curt Schilling's Weight
Did she say whether or not Aaron would make it to the ring ceremony if the Sox won the title in 08?

Domeshot17
11-19-2007, 10:57 PM
Did she say whether or not Aaron would make it to the ring ceremony if the Sox won the title in 08?

No he won't She said Aaron is pissed now and the city of Chicago is now dead to him. First traded, then rejected, and the bears suck.

She closed with "if he did not come back in 2006, why would he for this one"

spiffie
11-19-2007, 11:28 PM
No he won't She said Aaron is pissed now and the city of Chicago is now dead to him. First traded, then rejected, and the bears suck.

She closed with "if he did not come back in 2006, why would he for this one"
I know I came back on here and posted copious apologies when Aaron didn't show up at the 2006 ceremony.

oeo
11-20-2007, 12:56 AM
But reports out of Chicago that Hunter could soon make Chicago his home as the team's marquee free-agent acquisition might be a bit premature. Citing sources from both the White Sox and from Hunter's camp, the Sun-Times reported on Monday that the two sides could be signing a contract within the week.

Hunter didn't exactly second that notion in a text message to MLB.com late Monday night.

"Not true," said the affable All-Star when asked to confirm Monday's news.http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071120&content_id=2304549&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

WhiteSox5187
11-20-2007, 01:15 AM
Hmm, well, it is certainly not the end of the world, but it woulda been cool to sign him the day we got Cabrera. Still lots of time for this to all work out.

Jjav829
11-20-2007, 07:12 AM
This thread is a riot. :bandance:

kba
11-20-2007, 08:03 AM

Texas Rangers, Hunter sit down again (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/baseball/rangers/stories/112007dnsporangbriefs.2cf822b.html)

"We've indicated to people that we're hoping to make some movement sometime shortly after Thanksgiving because Torii wants to enjoy the holiday and think things through," Reynolds said. (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/baseball/rangers/stories/112007dnsporangbriefs.2cf822b.html)

JNS
11-20-2007, 09:04 AM
Texas Rangers, Hunter sit down again (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/baseball/rangers/stories/112007dnsporangbriefs.2cf822b.html)

Texas Rangers, Hunter sit down again

Daniels calls meeting with free-agent CF 'a good night'
03:41 AM CST on Tuesday, November 20, 2007

By RICHARD DURRETT / The Dallas Morning News
Rdurrett@dallasnews.com Tom Hicks hosted free-agent centerfielder Torii Hunter for dinner Monday night. Hunter's agent, Larry Reynolds, joined Tom Hicks Jr., Alex Hicks, Texas Rangers general manager Jon Daniels and manager Ron Washington at Hicks' home. It was Hunter's second meeting with the club.
Daniels said it was a "good night" as everyone talked baseball and "continued to get a feel for each other." He didn't say whether the team offered Hunter a contract.

Looks like they had a nice dinner. Here's the question: if Torii thinks that he was ignored y the national media in Minnesota, why does he think going to the Rangers will make him a well-known guy? It's just like the Twins but hotter and with more bling.

voodoochile
11-20-2007, 09:13 AM
When first logging in the morning I briefly couldn't access the site. It lasted about 5 minutes and I tried a few times during that stretch. Once I got an error message that the site had reached maximum user connections or something equally profound.

"Holy Crap!" I thought. "The Sox signed Hunter!" So since I couldn't get in anyway, off I went looking for confirmation. All I found was the snippet on the Sox site detailing TorIIII's refutation of the imminent signing. Sigh...

Immediately after reading that, I tried WSI again and got in to find a perfectly normal morning happening and no "insider news" that would refute TorIIII's refutation.

Ah well... tis better to have clicked and lost than to never have clicked at all...:D:

SBSoxFan
11-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Texas Rangers, Hunter sit down again

Daniels calls meeting with free-agent CF 'a good night'
03:41 AM CST on Tuesday, November 20, 2007

By RICHARD DURRETT / The Dallas Morning News
Rdurrett@dallasnews.com Tom Hicks hosted free-agent centerfielder Torii Hunter for dinner Monday night. Hunter's agent, Larry Reynolds, joined Tom Hicks Jr., Alex Hicks, Texas Rangers general manager Jon Daniels and manager Ron Washington at Hicks' home. It was Hunter's second meeting with the club.
Daniels said it was a "good night" as everyone talked baseball and "continued to get a feel for each other." He didn't say whether the team offered Hunter a contract.

Looks like they had a nice dinner. Here's the question: if Torii thinks that he was ignored y the national media in Minnesota, why does he think going to the Rangers will make him a well-known guy? It's just like the Twins but hotter and with more bling.

I wonder what they had.

Taliesinrk
11-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Is Rowand being completely ignored now? I mean, I really think that the difference in their contracts could make him just as appealing.. What's he been up to? and where in the hell is Andruw Jones?!?

salty99
11-20-2007, 11:39 AM
It looks like Torii really is about the money...we shall see.

thomas35forever
11-20-2007, 11:39 AM
Is Rowand being completely ignored now? I mean, I really think that the difference in their contracts could make him just as appealing.. What's he been up to? and where in the hell is Andruw Jones?!?
Good Lord. The Sox are this close to signing a big-name FA and you still can't get Rowand off your mind? I pray to God that this report is true and that Hunter will be introduced at a Sox press conference very soon. Better to look at option 1 than 2.

Rockabilly
11-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Cowley was on the Mike North show this morning and said that Hunter will be on the Sox by next week

oeo
11-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Good Lord. The Sox are this close to signing a big-name FA and you still can't get Rowand off your mind? I pray to God that this report is true and that Hunter will be introduced at a Sox press conference very soon. Better to look at option 1 than 2.

First, there's been nothing to say that they are close, besides this (what looks to be a) BS report.

Second, Rowand is also a 'big-name FA.'

Cowley was on the Mike North show this morning and said that Hunter will be on the Sox by next week

Oh, now it's next week because he heard the Rangers GM say that they wouldn't have any news this week. Sounds like Mr. Cowley is bull****ting, if you ask me.

oeo
11-20-2007, 11:49 AM

If he wasn't, he would have taken the Twins' offer...

Rockabilly
11-20-2007, 11:58 AM
If Cowley is full of crap and Hunter signs elsewhere he is nothing more than a gossip columnist

Gammons Peter
11-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Neyer is chatting on espn now:

Jeff (Iowa): So, do the Royals have a shot at signing Torii Hunter?

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/sn2.gif Rob Neyer: (12:59 PM ET ) I think they do. They've got a ton of money to spend this winter and not a lot to spend it on. A year ago they outbid everybody for Gil Meche, and Hunter strikes me as exactly the sort of player that Dayton Moore would covet. Which is too bad, because Hunter's terribly overrated.

palehozenychicty
11-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Forget Neyer.

sullythered
11-20-2007, 12:12 PM

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/sn2.gif Rob Neyer: (12:59 PM ET ) I think they do. They've got a ton of money to spend this winter and not a lot to spend it on. A year ago they outbid everybody for Gil Meche, and Hunter strikes me as exactly the sort of player that Dayton Moore would covet. Which is too bad, because Hunter's terribly overrated.
Ech. I hate the term "overrated." It only truly applies when there is a literal rating assigned to something. The only atheletes that can be "overrated" are, potentially, boxers and mma fighters, who are given numerical rankings. I'm so tired of "experts."

balke
11-20-2007, 12:12 PM

Haha, I'll agree with him there. Hunter is definitely overrated at this point. I'd still like that CF position upgraded to that level though.

If you don't like the term "rated" replace it with valued. Hunter GIDP's a ton, and is coming off a career year, which was more like a monumental first half of baseball.

I think Hunter would make the most money on endorsements in Chicago, but maybe that's just me. I think he'd be the biggest/loudest celeb in town immediately. I can't see him signing in KC where he'll be a big fish in a small town.

russ99
11-20-2007, 12:14 PM

What are they smoking? As I recall a player has to agree to sign with a team, and as he's been quoted, there are lots of other considerations for Hunter than who's throwing in the most cash.

I'd have a very low opinion of Hunter if he grabbed the dough and the expected last-place finshes with the Royals. He should ask Reggie Sanders how the Royals signing worked out for him.

Also, what part about a .280 avg, 30 HRs and gold glove wall-scaling defense is "terribly overrated"?!? Just cause he's not signing with the Red Sox, Yankees or Mets, he's all of a sudden overrated in ESPN's eyes.

Sockinchisox
11-20-2007, 12:15 PM
Haha, I'll agree with him there. Hunter is definitely overrated at this point. I'd still like that CF position upgraded to that level though.

I think Hunter would make the most money on endorsements in Chicago, but maybe that's just me. I think he'd be the biggest/loudest celeb in town immediately. I can't see him signing in KC where he'll be a big fish in a small town.

Joakim will have something to say about that in like 2 years. Although if Skiles and Paxson are still running the Bulls they'll end up fining him like no other.

sullythered
11-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Also, what part about a .280 avg, 30 HRs and gold glove wall-scaling defense is "terribly overrated"?!? Just cause he's not signing with the Red Sox, Yankees or Mets, he's all of a sudden overrated in ESPN's eyes...
He says it because he's one of those sabermetric *******s who think baseball is played in a computer. I am a self-proclaimed nerd, of sorts,(movies, music, books, video games, comics) but I HATE baseball nerds.

russ99
11-20-2007, 12:19 PM
He says it because he's one of those sabermetric *******s who think baseball is played in a computer. I am a self-proclaimed nerd, of sorts,(movies, music, books, video games, comics) but I HATE baseball nerds.

:D: :gulp:

I actually like Baseball nerds (and am one of them) but I hate baseball fantasy-league stathead nerds!

FloridaSox
11-20-2007, 12:21 PM

Video games and comics make you a nerd? One should not blast what one does not understand. Back to your comics.

thedudeabides
11-20-2007, 12:23 PM

He's also a Royals fan and hates the White Sox.

drewcifer
11-20-2007, 12:27 PM
He says it because he's one of those sabermetric *******s who think baseball is played in a computer.

Reading through that thread, I think he got his ass handed to him with all that "great" park, "good" park Bill James handbook nonsense.

And how is Garland NOT a #4 on most teams? He pitches to contact, Ks nobody, 4.5'ish ERA... that IS a #4.

sullythered
11-20-2007, 12:27 PM
:D: :gulp:

I actually like Baseball nerds (and am one of them) but I hate baseball fantasy-league stathead nerds!
That's what I was referring to. I am a baseball nerd-fan. I hate all those people who tell me what a teams "Pythagorean record" is. Baseball is a game played by human beings. Sure, they have tendencies, but the anomalies are what makes the game what it is. It also is what precludes those mathematical equations from being relevant.

sullythered
11-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Video games and comics make you a nerd? One should not blast what one does not understand. Back to your comics.
Obsessive fandom, which I exhibit, makes me a nerd. I'm proud of it. I still hate Sabermetrics.

sullythered
11-20-2007, 12:32 PM
He's also a Royals fan and hates the White Sox.
Good call. I forgot the KC connection.

Corlose 15
11-20-2007, 12:34 PM

THANK YOU!!!

Ugh, I can't stand 90% of national baseball writers. Sabermetrics wouldn't be so annoying if they weren't so damn smug about everything either.

ma-gaga
11-20-2007, 12:38 PM

If you ever thought anything different, you were being a hopeless romantic and a little bit foolish.

He's been about the money since last offseason. The Twins could have extended him long-term then. Hell, they've tried a couple of times in the last couple of months, and Torii's turned down 3 years - $45mm, so if it wasn't about the money, he'd have resigned with the Twins already.

It's about the money. And how much he loves playing in [insert city]. :cool:

money. money. money. show him the money!

balke
11-20-2007, 12:42 PM
And how is Garland NOT a #4 on most teams? He pitches to contact, Ks nobody, 4.5'ish ERA... that IS a #4.

Most teams is a bit of an overstatement. Kevin Millwood is the Rangers ace.

Go look at the category of Quality Starts. Garland's like #8 in the AL and top 20 overall last season. What do we care what his ERA was so long as he gave the team 21 great chances to win a baseball game out of 32?

I wanna say he has the most over anyone the past 4 seasons, but I don't have time to look it up.