PDA

View Full Version : Interesting (I think) observation regarding wording in articles on trades

Whitesox029
11-19-2007, 03:57 PM
In the hubbub about the Garland trade, I noticed that some outlets will say "White Sox acquire Cabrera from Angels" and some say "Angels acquire Garland from White Sox." Instinctively, this makes me think that the writer thinks the team being named in the headline is getting the better deal. Opinions?

AJ Hellraiser
11-19-2007, 06:07 PM
It has nothing to do with that... Working for ESPN it has to do with things in this order:

1) Who is the more recognizable name? If it is about even...

2) Which team is currently better?

The headline is strictly used to get people to read the story... so basically, what is the best way to word it to get people to click the link...

In this case, more people recognize Garland since he was the starting pitcher on a World Series winner more recetly and an 18-game winner... coincidentally, the Angels made the playoffs this season while our SOX were terrible..

No offense, but quit looking for media bias... when it's out there it's obvious...

DumpJerry
11-19-2007, 06:16 PM
If the headline read "Angels give up on Cabrera, he's all yours, White Sox," what conclusion(s) would you draw?

Oblong
11-19-2007, 07:21 PM
It could also be based on the cookies residing on your PC if you are reading a national outlet like msnbc.com.