PDA

View Full Version : RIGHT NOW... What is the Sox's biggest need?

doublem23
11-19-2007, 03:32 PM
After dealing Jon Garland to Los Angeles for Orlando Cabrera, what area of the team do the Sox need to address most urgently?

Poll closes upon the next KW move.

WhiteSox5187
11-19-2007, 03:46 PM
I think the Sox need to get a little more depth in that rotation right now, since pitching wins championships I'd say that is the most urgent need we have right now...but we fixed short, we have a sold POTENTIAL leadoff guy in Cabrera (though I think he'd be better suited at number two), get Hunter in CF (Rowand would be a good plan B) and um...then fix that god awful bullpen.

soxinem1
11-19-2007, 03:56 PM
I think the Sox need to get a little more depth in that rotation right now, since pitching wins championships I'd say that is the most urgent need we have right now...but we fixed short, we have a sold POTENTIAL leadoff guy in Cabrera (though I think he'd be better suited at number two), get Hunter in CF (Rowand would be a good plan B) and um...then fix that god awful bullpen.

My thoughts exactly.

Domeshot17
11-19-2007, 03:57 PM
I think this year is the year we get a pleasant suprise from our kids.

Lance Broadway might be the 2008 ROTY

lewdminx
11-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Bullpen!

WhiteSox5187
11-19-2007, 04:07 PM

I don't mind giving the kids a shot, but I don't htink they can be plan A. I'd rather have a guy like Colon there who is established and then you have a big battle in ST for the last two spots in the rotation.

Madvora
11-19-2007, 04:12 PM
We now have a weak rotation. Starting pitching should be the most important. I don't want to go back to the Danny Wright era again.
Getting rid of Garland just created another problem for the Sox to solve.

MCHSoxFan
11-19-2007, 04:19 PM
My thoughts exactly.

Yep. Get the SP going, then fill CF...and finally, the bullpen. I think the bullpen will be the hardest t fix because if our young SP step up, we ae good to go in that (SP) department. For the CF spot, all we have to do is sign Rowand, Hunter, etc.

Bucky F. Dent
11-19-2007, 04:20 PM

I'm hoping that's the case. Looked great in his only effort in the majors.

Kenny needs sign Hunter, then re-build the bullpen!!!!!!!!!

Chez
11-19-2007, 04:24 PM
1. Fix the bullpen.
2. Fix the bullpen.
3. Fix the bullpen.

jenn2080
11-19-2007, 04:27 PM
This needs to be a multiple answer

1. Bullpen
2. Bullpen
3. Starting Pitching
4. Center field.
5. Starting pitching
6. Bullpen

Chez
11-19-2007, 04:30 PM
We now have a weak rotation. Starting pitching should be the most important. I don't want to go back to the Danny Wright era again.
Getting rid of Garland just created another problem for the Sox to solve.

I agree with you that strong starting pitching is the key. But you never know who will come through for you from year to year. Going into 2005, we had two proven winners in our rotation -- Freddy Garcia and Mark Buehrle. The other three (Garland, Contreras and El Duque/McCarthy) were all huge question marks at the beginning of Spring Training who came through big time. So while I'd prefer to head into the season with 5 proven aces (like 2006), it's not unreasonable to hope that one or more of the kid pitchers we've been stock-piling comes up big.

doublem23
11-19-2007, 04:31 PM

1. Bullpen
2. Bullpen
3. Starting Pitching
4. Center field.
5. Starting pitching
6. Bullpen

Oh, I agree there are several problems plaguing this roster, but the most urgent after today's trade has become the starting pitching. I don't care how good your bullpen is, if you have any 2 pitchers you can rely on to pitch 6-7 innings and not give up a ton of runs, you're not going to win many games, anyway.

Reveal Phase II of the plan, oh wise Kenny Williams!

October26
11-19-2007, 04:32 PM

1. Bullpen
2. Bullpen
3. Starting Pitching
4. Center field.
5. Starting pitching
6. Bullpen

I'm right there with you Jenn. I was thinking the same thing. The bullpen is still a disaster, we don't have a proven center fielder and now we have a hole in the starting rotation as well. My trust in Kenny is being tested today but I'm gonna be patient ...

russ99
11-19-2007, 04:33 PM
What we need to contend in '08 (in order)

1. Top Major League CF (preferably Hunter, or Rowand/Jones)

2. RH Setup Man. As in 2007, we're going nowhere without one, and don't try to sell me on MacDougal again, as it's obvious he's not the guy.

3. LF - preferably someone who can bat leadoff and a better option than Pods or Owens

4. Experienced Starter for 3rd or 4th spot, preferably inexpensive (tall order) or a guy with questions to compete with kids. Make it 2 if we can somehow dump Contreras' salary.

4. Experienced RH middle reliever

5. Backup Catcher who can throw and hit

6. Experienced backup outfielder/pinch hitter

One more - Experienced ex-MLB base stealer for 1B coach. Please no more Baines out there.

jenn2080
11-19-2007, 04:35 PM
I forgot to add a left fielder too and a center fielder. :redneck

ShoelessJoeS
11-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Fixing the bullpen has always been the #1 concern, IMO.

Frater Perdurabo
11-19-2007, 04:45 PM
None of these becomes "Urgent" until the day before Opening Day; it doesn't matter when during the offseason that a hole is filled, it's more important that it get filled, period.

:tongue:

Now that I'm done playing semantics, I think the biggest hole has become the starting rotation, followed closely by the bullpen.

chisoxfanatic
11-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Right now, I'm nervous as hell about our starting rotation and extremely hope that Kenny has something up his sleeve. There are only a couple there I have full confidence in (Buehrle and Vazquez). And, even they will lose a few games every now and then.

veeter
11-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Get Hunter
Get bullpen help
Let kids pitch
Sign a healed Freddy Garcia for stretch run.

JGarlandrules20
11-19-2007, 05:13 PM
I voted starting pitching just because I don't think our rotation is going to be too pretty next season unless Jose bounces back (he's only getting older..) and Danks gives us a solid sophomore season. I have my faith in Buehrle, as always and I'm hoping Vazquez continues where he left off.
Who is the 5th? Broadway? I hate relying on a question mark going into the season especially when it has to deal with our pitching. It never ends well.

Bullpen would be my second vote. It's hard to solely go out and get bullpen help because relievers can be so inconsistant as we sox fans know very well. It's kinda like rolling the dice and hoping some guy has a good season for you or finding a diamond in the rough a la Ehren Wassermann.

gogosox16
11-19-2007, 05:19 PM
I don't mind giving the kids a shot, but I don't htink they can be plan A. I'd rather have a guy like Colon there who is established and then you have a big battle in ST for the last two spots in the rotation.
NO!!!!!! He is coming off an injury and you never know what to expect from him. He is getting older and losing velocity on his fastball. At least with the young pitchers we have, we somewhat know what they can do for us and we know we have many other options if one starts to struggle.

DoItForDanPasqua
11-19-2007, 05:56 PM
I now have to say starting pitching. The bullpen won't matter much when it's already 8-4 during the games Buerhle doesn't start.

DoItForDanPasqua
11-19-2007, 06:01 PM

He's going to need to win a Cy Young with Danks, Floyd and Contreras in the rotation.

gr8mexico
11-19-2007, 06:24 PM
The Sox should look into these guys in this exact order and hope to sign them.
1. Andruw Jones CF
2. Livan Hernandez SP
3. David Eckstein 2B
4. Jason Jennings SP
5. Bartolo Colon SP
6. Randy Wolf SP
7. Bullpen HELP!!!!
8. Bullpen HELP!!!!

Daver
11-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Bullpen catcher.

Tragg
11-19-2007, 06:58 PM
Offense.
LF
CF
Legitimate major league hitters.
Leadoff hitter

And they used their top trading piece and didn't address it a lick.

Use young players for the pen. The career middle reliever approach was tried last year and it was an abject failure.

KyWhiSoxFan
11-19-2007, 07:02 PM
The sox need:
1) Two more starting pitchers
2) Lead off hitter
3) Bullpen help
4) Center fielder

Preferably they can get 2 and 4 in the same guy, which makes me worry about spending so much on Hunter. That may hinder their ability to pay for more starting pitching. If I'm KW, I spend $15m per year on starting pitching before I spend that money on a #5 or #6 hitter.

nccwsfan
11-19-2007, 07:06 PM
The bullpen was the largest need in June, it's the largest need in November. This needs to be addressed this offseason. After that we need a CF, preferrably one that can contribute at the top of the order.

I'm in the minority on this one, but I'm not as concerned about the starting rotation as others are. It needs to be addressed, but only after the above has been taken care of.

soxfanreggie
11-19-2007, 08:53 PM
I don't know if our first move will be a result of our most telling need. I think we need a decent starting pitcher, one who can eat some innings and hit 12 wins. However, we have a glaring need at for a CF as well.

WhiteSoxJunkie
11-20-2007, 02:05 PM
I think the main need is pitching. The Sox have one reliable reliever, but two reliable starters. Both areas need improvement.

Rounding_Third
11-20-2007, 04:03 PM
I think the starting and relief pitching are equally in trouble both due to the Garland trade. Keep in mind how we had to shut Danks down this year to protect his arm. Losing Garland's 200+ innings is so big! If KW & Ozzie believe that 2 of our many young pitchers will get the nod, it's unrealistic to believe either will be able to last into September. Even if both are solid throughout the summer, they'll probably be shut down like Danks was. If he wins a spot, even he'll probably be held back again to some extent. We're going to need to pick up another 150-200 inning guy or find another (or 2) of the young kids to share the burden throughout the year. Can we realistically expect as many as 4 of our young starters to get the job done in #4 and #5? Probably not. On top of that, Garland's absence will also over-tax our bullpen. Last year, our #5 rarely made it past 6 innings. Now include the #4 as well (if we go with our youth). The Garland trade has left a huge hole and bigger problems than before. And we'd better use the extra cash for a "big splash" and sign Cabrera beyond next year otherwise what was the point of the trade?

MDF3530
11-20-2007, 04:53 PM
I voted for other because there wasn't an option for "all of the above".

PaleHoseGeorge
11-20-2007, 07:13 PM
What the Sox need is a sucker to take Juan Uribe off their hands. It's a buyer's market now that KW has announced to the entire world that he has $4.5 million of worthlessness sitting on his bench.
:o:

It could be worse. Last time Kenny pulled this stunt we had Royce Clayton on the payroll for 2 years.
:angry:

:hitless
"Setting a fielding percentage record that will probably last forever, just don't expect me to wear my game spikes when I'm on the bench."

Jurr
11-20-2007, 07:18 PM
1.)Bullpen help
2.)Relief pitching
3.)A bunch of pitchers that aren't quite good enough to be starters, but can come in and shut down another team in the mid to late innings.

soxfanreggie
11-20-2007, 09:30 PM
1. Use the Cabrera cash (the cash we received, not the salary difference) to git rid of Uribe. People are saying that we might have to eat $3-4 million. In that case, keep him as a back-up because you'll likely be paying that much anyway ($1-2 mil) for a serviceable back-up.

2. If you don't sign Hunter, take the money you save on signing Rowand to get a FA pitcher than can hopefully eat 175 IP or so and get approx. 11-12 wins. I don't think that all of our young guys will tank, but I don't know if we'll get enough out of more than 1 or 2 of them to succeed at this level. You have to be able to develop players, and this is a year where we will see how well along these players are.