PDA

View Full Version : Surprise, Surprise: A-Rod MVP

Sockinchisox
11-19-2007, 01:03 PM
He received 26 of 28 1st place votes.

SBSoxFan
11-19-2007, 01:17 PM
I'm surprised. He should've received 28 first place votes.

Sockinchisox
11-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Ya, two people voted Maggs ahead of A-Rod.

SBSoxFan
11-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Ya, two people voted Maggs ahead of A-Rod.

Oh. I kinda forgot about him. I guess I could see that. Unless he tanked at the end like the rest of the team.

fquaye149
11-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Maggs only surpassed AROD in two categories: BA/OBP and 2B's

Everything else, A-Rod was significantly better at, while playing a premium defensive position.

There is really no excuse for a sportswriter to have voted for Maggs

PalehosePlanet
11-19-2007, 02:00 PM

Everything else, A-Rod was significantly better at, while playing a premium defensive position.

No doubt. That's just straight A-Rod hate right there; for a while the guy singlehandedly kept the team in the race too. Jeeez...

spiffie
11-19-2007, 02:22 PM

Had the Tigers won their division I could see a vote for Ordonez as justified. A-Rod is surrounded by the largest payroll in sports, and a host of all-stars around him. Ordonez has a much less powerful supporting cast. Hence his relative value could be deemed greater than A-Rod's, even though objective Rodriguez had a more impressive year statistically.

However, since the Kitties decided to gag and miss the playoffs, it reeks of haterade.

havelj
11-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Look at the voting list down the page. Who does Maggs play for?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3119020

doublem23
11-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Look at the voting list down the page. Who does Maggs play for?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3119020

I wouldn't mind. :cool:

SBSoxFan
11-20-2007, 11:59 PM
Driving home tonight, I heard Dan Patrick on the Score (when did that happen?), interviewing a Detroit baseball writer Tim Gauge or something? Anyway, he voted for Ordonez and said Ordonez had the best season he'd seen in 29 years of following baseball. :o:

fquaye149
11-21-2007, 01:20 AM
Driving home tonight, I heard Dan Patrick on the Score (when did that happen?), interviewing a Detroit baseball writer Tim Gauge or something? Anyway, he voted for Ordonez and said Ordonez had the best season he'd seen in 29 years of following baseball. :o:

Pretty sure George Brett hit .390 within the past...twenty-nine....years...

I guess he had his eyes closed when that happened.

Or, maybe he also had his eyes closed this year when A-Rod had a much better year than Maggs.

Or maybe he's just a ****ing idiot

fquaye149
11-21-2007, 01:21 AM
PS: George Brett's OPS+ in 1980 when he hit .390 was TWO HUNDRED AND THREE

WOW!

Oh and a certain superstud who wore a number 35 had an ops+ of 211 in 1994 when he hit more home runs, drove in more runs, walked much more, and was all around a much much much much much better player than maggs of 07, all while doing it in 113 games

Grzegorz
11-21-2007, 04:36 AM

Right field is a premium defensive position. That said, A-Rod was the MVP hands down.

fquaye149
11-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Right field is a premium defensive position. That said, A-Rod was the MVP hands down.

compared to 3B? No.

And certainly not the way Magglio plays it...

champagne030
11-21-2007, 10:47 AM
Oh and a certain superstud who wore a number 35 had an ops+ of 211 in 1994 when he hit more home runs, drove in more runs, walked much more, and was all around a much much much much much better player than maggs of 07, all while doing it in 113 games

Frank put up some monster numbers during that shortened season, but he didn't come close to having more RBI's than Magglio when play was halted. And by "all around", I hope you're referring to offense only.

Oblong
11-21-2007, 11:07 AM
compared to 3B? No.

And certainly not the way Magglio plays it...

Maggs had an unbelievable year this year in RF. Not just "good for a slugger" but almost gold glove worthy. I'm not joking. His defensive improvement was more unexpected than the offensive year he had.

In 2006 I thought he was on the fast track to DH because he looked very shaky. He made the plays but looked unsure of himself. I remember asking you guys about his defensive history. he reminded me of a guy you'd put out in RF in a softball game who hadn't played since high school gym class.

This year his revised zone rating was good for .906, 8th in all of baseball for outfielders. His out of zone rating wasn't as good but that's to be expected given that he's not a speedster. But for converting balls into the RF zone into outs, he was among the best.

As for Tom Gage's vote. I can't really defend it. I won't call it a homer pick in terms of a guy just wanting to vote for "his guy" but I suspect it's just a natural bias from watching him play every game this year and he either cherry picked a couple of numbers favorable to Maggs or just believes those numbers are more important. That's a semantical argument though. He tries to defend it here (http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071120/SPORTS0104/711200343/1004/SPORTS).

fquaye149
11-21-2007, 11:41 AM
Frank put up some monster numbers during that shortened season, but he didn't come close to having more RBI's than Magglio when play was halted. And by "all around", I hope you're referring to offense only.

You're right--Frank did have less RBI than Maggs. Frank had 101 and Maggs had 139.

I would say though that "Frank didn't come close" is a bit of an exaggeration, however. Especially since Frank played about 113 games that year and Maggs played 157

Suffice to say Frank had a much better 1994 than Maggs had a 2007. Much much much much better.

fquaye149
11-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Maggs had an unbelievable year this year in RF. Not just "good for a slugger" but almost gold glove worthy. I'm not joking. His defensive improvement was more unexpected than the offensive year he had.

In 2006 I thought he was on the fast track to DH because he looked very shaky. He made the plays but looked unsure of himself. I remember asking you guys about his defensive history. he reminded me of a guy you'd put out in RF in a softball game who hadn't played since high school gym class.

This year his revised zone rating was good for .906, 8th in all of baseball for outfielders. His out of zone rating wasn't as good but that's to be expected given that he's not a speedster. But for converting balls into the RF zone into outs, he was among the best.

As for Tom Gage's vote. I can't really defend it. I won't call it a homer pick in terms of a guy just wanting to vote for "his guy" but I suspect it's just a natural bias from watching him play every game this year and he either cherry picked a couple of numbers favorable to Maggs or just believes those numbers are more important. That's a semantical argument though. He tries to defend it here (http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071120/SPORTS0104/711200343/1004/SPORTS).

Except he still has a mediocre arm and that's the only part of an OF that will make it an elite defensive position. Without a plus arm a RF's just a glorified LF

Fenway
11-21-2007, 11:49 AM
I thank the baseball gawds every day that Boston did NOT get A-Rod.

Yes even with A-Rod and Mags replacing Manny and Nomar I honestly believe if A-Rod had come to Boston we would be at year 90 and waiting.

fquaye149
11-21-2007, 11:53 AM
I thank the baseball gawds every day that Boston did NOT get A-Rod.

Yes even with A-Rod and Mags replacing Manny and Nomar I honestly believe if A-Rod had come to Boston we would be at year 90 and waiting.

Could be. Or on the other, more likely hand, could not be.

Fenway
11-21-2007, 11:54 AM
Could be. Or on the other, more likely hand, could not be.

Of course Mags if he comes to Boston doesn't get hurt............

Of course do the White Sox win if they have Nomar in 05?

fquaye149
11-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Of course Mags if he comes to Boston doesn't get hurt............

Of course do the White Sox win if they have Nomar in 05?

It's impossible to say. To the latter---probably not, given that Uribe's defense was a key to our success in 05 and Nomar's defense isn't quite on that level.

Of course, it perhaps might have balanced out since we might have actually had a solid middle-of-the-lineup in 05