PDA

View Full Version : Twins offer Santana 5yrs/93 million

spiffie
11-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Didn't see anything on this. According to the MN Star-Trib it sounds like they are at least hoping to try and keep him around. As the story says, he'll surely get more in FA, but its a smart move for the Twins to open the lines of negotiation and hope to try and lock him up before the Yanks or Red Sox get to open up their wallets.

http://www.startribune.com/507/story/1558537.html

jabrch
11-19-2007, 11:08 AM
Wow...That's just shy of 19mm per. I have no idea how the Twins plan to afford this - that new stadium better fill up.

Oblong
11-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Wow...That's just shy of 19mm per. I have no idea how the Twins plan to afford this - that new stadium better fill up.

Pohlad can afford it, he just chooses not to spend it.

The real question is if this means a change in philosphy with the Twins.

DSpivack
11-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Pohlad can afford it, he just chooses not to spend it.

The real question is if this means a change in philosphy with the Twins.

I think you can make an exception in your 'philosophy' to hold onto the game's best pitcher. That said, do the say the same for Mauer? Morneau?

WhiteSox5187
11-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Oh...I was really looking forward to seeing him go elsewhere. :(:

ShoelessJoeS
11-19-2007, 01:38 PM
I think you can make an exception in your 'philosophy' to hold onto the game's best pitcher. That said, do the say the same for Mauer? Morneau?I'm guessing no. Those guys will be getting primo bucks in free agency as they are arguably the best in baseball at the respective positions. I just don't think the Twins can afford all three of them (Santana included).

PalehosePlanet
11-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Oh...I was really looking forward to seeing him go elsewhere. :(:

Don't worry, he will. I'm guessing he'll land an 7-8 year deal worth anywhere from 160-200 Million next winter. IMHO, this is just the twinkies posturing so their fans don't get to upset when he is traded or leaves via FA. The organization can then say Hey, we tried!

thedudeabides
11-19-2007, 01:59 PM
This is one player I hope just leaves for the highest bidder. I can't wait to see him get out of our division.