PDA

View Full Version : Glavine back to the Braves

ChiSoxFan35
11-19-2007, 12:50 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3118231

1 year, 8 mill

soxfanatlanta
11-19-2007, 08:07 AM
The man walks away from 13 million to retire a Brave; nice. He should add some stability to the bottom of the rotation and give the pen a break. How much does he have left in the tank, though?

Huisj
11-19-2007, 10:28 AM
The man walks away from 13 million to retire a Brave; nice. He should add some stability to the bottom of the rotation and give the pen a break. How much does he have left in the tank, though?

For the Braves' sake, hopefully more than he showed on the last day of the season for the Mets.

PalehosePlanet
11-19-2007, 02:23 PM
For the Braves' sake, hopefully more than he showed on the last day of the season for the Mets.

It might be reason he left The Mets. Maybe he felt like he could never live that day down. I'm guessing that even though he won his 300th with the team, that Mats fans are not remembering him too fondly.

palehozenychicty
11-19-2007, 02:33 PM
I like Glavine, as he's one of the few class acts left in baseball. But he may be done, as he rarely went deep into games and torched the Met pen. He'll be a little better in ATL, but how much remains to be seen.

ChiSoxFan35
11-19-2007, 09:46 PM
It might be reason he left The Mets. Maybe he felt like he could never live that day down. I'm guessing that even though he won his 300th with the team, that Mats fans are not remembering him too fondly.

No they are not, especially with his interview after the game, with the whole 'who cares, bigger things in life' attitude, which is true and obvious, but this is right after the game, this is the sports context, you should feel something emotionally.

StillMissOzzie
11-19-2007, 11:28 PM

I think it's nice that he put his wishes to end his career as a Brave ahead of the $13M from New York; I'll bet that there are more than a few who would not. However, the cynical side of me wonders if he wanted out of the NY pressure cooker knowing that's he's got little left to offer...

SMO
:?:

MUsoxfan
11-20-2007, 02:43 AM
I think it's nice that he put his wishes to end his career as a Brave ahead of the $13M from New York; I'll bet that there are more than a few who would not. However, the cynical side of me wonders if he wanted out of the NY pressure cooker knowing that's he's got little left to offer...

SMO
:?:

I think it's more him realizing he has more than enough money than he could ever really spend and ending his career where it should end.

Dibbs
11-20-2007, 12:00 PM
He received a $3 million buy-out from the Mets + $8 million from the Braves.

He didn't walk away from that much money.

soxfanatlanta
11-20-2007, 12:02 PM
No they are not, especially with his interview after the game, with the whole 'who cares, bigger things in life' attitude, which is true and obvious, but this is right after the game, this is the sports context, you should feel something emotionally.

Glavine has rarely been emotional on the mound; he's been thrown out of a few games arguing balls/strikes - but that's about it. Still, he should be able to help the Braves a little bit; their pitching staff was not very good after Smoltz and Hudson.

FedEx227
11-20-2007, 01:13 PM
He received a $3 million buy-out from the Mets + $8 million from the Braves.

He didn't walk away from that much money.

Exactly. I love when people talk about that. If it's not about the money and he has enough and he just wants to retire with dignity why doesn't he take $500,000 so the team can use the rest of the money to build parts around him?