PDA

View Full Version : Sox in running for Japanese reliever

Hitmen77
11-18-2007, 07:51 PM
The Trib reports that the Sox are among 5 teams in the running for Yabuta.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-071118soxbits,1,6820655.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

Sockinchisox
11-18-2007, 08:01 PM
I thought the Royals were about to sign this guy for 2 yrs + option?

gr8mexico
11-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Why would he want to play for any other of those teams (Royals, Indians, Rays and Pirates). I see the Sox offering a 2 year contract with an option for a 3rd.

PalehosePlanet
11-18-2007, 08:06 PM
I hope it's true. I've been clamoring for KW to get after the available Japanese RP's for a while. Their price will not be too high and it seems like a pretty safe investment judging by the success some of the other Japanese import RP's (Hasegawa, Okajima, Sasaki, Otsuka, Saito, etc...) have had.

getonbckthr
11-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Why would he want to play for any other of those teams (Royals, Indians, Rays and Pirates). I see the Sox offering a 2 year contract with an option for a 3rd.
Ya who wants to play for a team who was 1 game away from the World Series?

JorgeFabregas
11-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Yeah, why would anyone ever want to play for the Indians? It's not as if they just won the division and almost made the world series...

PalehosePlanet
11-18-2007, 08:11 PM

I'm thinking that he meant that those cities don't have as much to offer culturally as would Chicago. Chicago is a world class city where the others are not.

the1tab
11-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Didn't we already try the whole aging Japanese closer thing a few years ago? How'd that contract end up after year one?

TheOldRoman
11-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Didn't we already try the whole aging Japanese closer thing a few years ago? How'd that contract end up after year one?Yeah, it would be horrible if we signed a reliever to a small contract with a cheap option for a second year who absolutely dominates the league and puts up numbers good enough for rookie of the year. That would really suck. And if he completely loses his control and gets pounded in his second year, we can always claim he got "figured out" and call Kenny dumb.

gr8mexico
11-18-2007, 08:37 PM
Yeah, why would anyone ever want to play for the Indians? It's not as if they just won the division and almost made the world series...
Do you actually think that a JAPANESE player would want to play in Cleveland. Yeah he would fit in just right.

upperdeckusc
11-18-2007, 08:43 PM
this could be more proof that the newspapers and sports writers are always 2-4 days behind of whats really going on. everything i've read is he's going to play in KC for that new manager that used to coach in japan.

Brian26
11-18-2007, 09:02 PM

I'm thinking that he meant that those cities don't have as much to offer culturally as would Chicago. Chicago is a world class city where the others are not.

Chicago has hotter chicks and better hot dogs.

itsnotrequired
11-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Yeah, it would be horrible if we signed a reliever to a small contract with a cheap option for a second year who absolutely dominates the league and puts up numbers good enough for rookie of the year. That would really suck. And if he completely loses his control and gets pounded in his second year, we can always claim he got "figured out" and call Kenny dumb.

Shingo could kill a man with his bare hands.

Chicago has hotter chicks and better hot dogs.

Chicago also has daily blimp service.

oeo
11-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Didn't we already try the whole aging Japanese closer thing a few years ago? How'd that contract end up after year one?

What's wrong with acquiring another Shingo? I'd take that again in a second...

I've mentioned this before...even one good season is worth it.

Brian26
11-18-2007, 09:34 PM
What's wrong with acquiring another Shingo? I'd take that again in a second...

...until the league figures him out after about two months. The Sox can still make some money off the t-shirt sales though.

oeo
11-18-2007, 09:38 PM
...until the league figures him out after about two months. The Sox can still make some money off the t-shirt sales though.

Yeah, since the league figured Shingo out within the first two months.

That's how he became the Sox closer...the league started tearing him to pieces. :rolleyes:

Brian26
11-18-2007, 09:40 PM
Yeah, since the league figured Shingo out within the first two months. :rolleyes:

Shingo seriously lasted about three months (the second half of '04 and two weeks into the '05 season). And there were serious signs before the end of 2004 that the league had figured him out, which was discussed here in depth.

Brian26
11-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Chicago also has daily blimp service.

Milwaukee is the mecca.

DumpJerry
11-18-2007, 09:49 PM
Why are we talking about Shingo? just because he's from Japan, it does not mean his style is the same. Is Iguchi the same kind of hitter as Ichiro? Does Dice-k pitch like Shingo?

RowanDye
11-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Why are we talking about Shingo? just because he's from Japan, it does not mean his style is the same. Is Iguchi the same kind of hitter as Ichiro? Does Dice-k pitch like Shingo?

All Japanese players rely on trickery instead of talent...duh!

Lip Man 1
11-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Considering the absolute garbage the Sox have had in the bullpen the past two seasons (and before anyone gets bent out of shape I'm talking about in broad, general terms) I'm for taking a chance on any and all.

I mean they can't possibly be worse then what we've seen the past two years right?

And if they are, it's not like the Sox 'lost' anything.

Sooner or later Kenny has to hit upon the bullpen magic once again, so take a chance. Standing pat with these guys isn't the answer.

Lip

TheOldRoman
11-18-2007, 10:27 PM
Shingo could kill a man with his bare hands.You are right, I didn't mean Shingo was really good for a year, I meant he was the best reliever ever.
Shingo seriously lasted about three months (the second half of '04 and two weeks into the '05 season). And there were serious signs before the end of 2004 that the league had figured him out, which was discussed here in depth.No, he was not "figured out". In the beginning of 2005, he lost all ability to throw strikes. When he got ahead in the count he was effective. When he was down 2-0 or 3-0, and had to throw an 86 mph fastball over the plate, it generally got hit a long, long way. When he couldn't throw first pitch strikes, he became a batting practice pitcher. Nobody "figured him out".

And oeo is 100% correct, if the Sox signed this guy and he dominated for a season and was then "figured out", it would still be worth it.

oeo
11-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Shingo seriously lasted about three months (the second half of '04 and two weeks into the '05 season). And there were serious signs before the end of 2004 that the league had figured him out, which was discussed here in depth.

You must be thinking about a different Shingo. He had one rough stretch in August (completely contradicting your statement that he only had a good second half), other than that he was pretty damn good.

http://thebaseballcube.com/box/2004/players/takas001_p.shtml

slavko
11-18-2007, 11:04 PM
No, he was not "figured out". In the beginning of 2005, he lost all ability to throw strikes. When he got ahead in the count he was effective. When he was down 2-0 or 3-0, and had to throw an 86 mph fastball over the plate, it generally got hit a long, long way. When he couldn't throw first pitch strikes, he became a batting practice pitcher. Nobody "figured him out".

That's what I remember. He couldn't throw strikes, they put him in a game one day, he was wild, the TV showed Coop and Ozzie making eye contact in the dugout, and the next day he was gone. Seriously.

chaerulez
11-18-2007, 11:49 PM

This is confusing me as well. Ichrio, Iguchi, and Matsui could not be more different hitters. Or even bit players from Japan like So Taguchi and that guy who played for the Mets and Giants. And Dice-K, Shingo, Kaz Ishii, Saito, and Kaz Suzuki are all pretty different type of pitchers.

HebrewHammer
11-19-2007, 12:34 AM
Link (http://www.japanesebaseball.com/players/player.jsp?PlayerID=783)

Here are the guy's career numbers. The reason he was never made closer was because of this guy (http://www.japanesebaseball.com/players/player.jsp?PlayerID=1131).

He might be worth taking a flier on.

A two year deal for a guy like this sounds a little much.

oeo
11-19-2007, 12:40 AM
A two year deal for a guy like this sounds a little much.

Then you can probably forget about him.

You cannot translate stats from Japan to here. Look at guys like Saito and Okajima who have been (generally) better here than in Japan. You just can't predict it.

As long as you're not paying an arm and a leg, two years is not too much.