PDA

View Full Version : Update on Jason Bourgeois?

upperdeckusc
11-18-2007, 07:16 PM
I was on rotoworld, and on the "player updates" page, they had an update on him about how good he's doing in the Mexican Pacific League (.304/.377/.413). he put up similar #'s in Double/Triple A in '07 (.306/.365/.440). what caught my eye, that I didn't know about, is that Bourgeois is a free agent. i'd really love to see what he could do on a major league level. he has experience in the OF and in the infield. i can definitely see him as a pablo ozuna-type player (he has good speed and has compiled a good amount of SB's in the minors as well). i'd like to see him take cintron's spot on the bench. but as a minor league free agent, what happens to him? can people draft him like how KC got sisco from the cubs? how can the sox assure that we can keep him and not let him get away to another team?

here's the link to rotoworld if you were curious...

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=MLB

Hitmen77
11-20-2007, 10:58 PM
The Sox have signed Bourgeois to a minor league contract:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-071120sox,1,5099440.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

Does anyone have more info on him? He seemed to have good offensive numbers last year. Is he a good candidate to be a utility player for the Sox in '08?

oeo
11-20-2007, 11:03 PM
The Sox have signed Bourgeois to a minor league contract:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-071120sox,1,5099440.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

Does anyone have more info on him? He seemed to have good offensive numbers last year. Is he a good candidate to be a utility player for the Sox in '08?

I saw him play a couple times...the guy can flat out fly. I believe the second time I saw him, he was in CF (mostly, I think because they didn't have anyone else to play out there)...so he can be a super-UTIL guy. I think he could be a good bench player for us. Maybe the new, improved, younger, and faster version of Alex Cintron.

btrain929
11-20-2007, 11:04 PM
That's great news. From everything I've heard and read, the kid has talent (he can field multiple positions, hit, run, etc). I'd love to see him take Cintron's spot as the UTIL infielder along with Ozuna, but since he's not proven on the MLB level, he is going to have to have a hell of a spring for that to happen. Either way, I'm glad to see he didn't go elsewhere.

KRS1
11-20-2007, 11:16 PM
I'd love to see him take Cintron's spot as the UTIL infielder along with Ozuna, .

Except that the stats show that he is REALLY bad at SS. 44 E's in 119 games there, and I'd say by how little he has played there recently (5 games since 04', and none last year), that his managers have basically admitted he is hopeless as a SS. We would still need someone capable of playing solid D there on OC's days off, and Pablo isn't that guy, so....

btrain929
11-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Except that the stats show that he is REALLY bad at SS. 44 E's in 119 games there, and I'd say by how little he has played there recently (5 games since 04', and none last year), that his managers have basically admitted he is hopeless as a SS. We would still need someone capable of playing solid D there on OC's days off, and Pablo isn't that guy, so....

Ahhh, I was not aware of that. I know he had a lot of experience at 2B, so I figured if you can play 2B adequately, SS should be fine haha.

God, if Andy Gonzalez didn't suck so much, we wouldn't even be thinking about keeping Uribe around as a super-sub. :angry: