PDA

View Full Version : Bartolo Colon back to 35th St?????

Fenway
11-18-2007, 02:31 PM
The Boston Globe national baseball writer wonders if Colon might return to the White Sox.

There's going to be a market for three rehab guys: Bartolo Colon, Kris Benson, and Matt Clement. Benson, whose $7 million option was not picked up by the Orioles, is drawing a lot of interest, while Clement is being sought by at least the Padres and Royals. Colon is unlikely to return to the Angels, but teams looking for a fifth starter (Giants, Cubs, White Sox, Phillies) might take a flier on him.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/11/18/fishing_for_a_big_marlin/?page=full

MUsoxfan
11-18-2007, 02:36 PM
No chance.

HomeFish
11-18-2007, 02:55 PM
I doubt we can afford him, but he can't possibly be worse than what we have penciled in for the #5 spot right now. Heck, he might be #4 in our rotation if we trade Garland.

Stop living in 2005, guys. Our pitching situation is a lot more like 2004; sure, Buehrle is at the top, and he's good and stuff, but there's a black hole at the bottom.

Sockinchisox
11-18-2007, 03:09 PM
I'd rather have Gavin/Gio.

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-18-2007, 03:15 PM
We already have Contreras, no need to add another old SP.

Brian26
11-18-2007, 03:49 PM
For the right price, I don't have any problem with this.

WhiteSox5187
11-18-2007, 03:53 PM
I'd take a chance on him for the right price...

A. Cavatica
11-18-2007, 03:54 PM
There's a comfort factor, certainly. I don't think we can afford him -- even on a 1 year flyer -- unless we clear Contreras' salary, and some others.

eastchicagosoxfan
11-18-2007, 04:05 PM
For the right price, I don't have any problem with this.

I'd take a chance on him for the right price...
What's the right price?

areilly
11-18-2007, 04:20 PM
What's the right price?

$8mil base + numerous incentives + some other team takes Contreras off the Sox' hands.

KyWhiSoxFan
11-18-2007, 04:46 PM
$8mil base + numerous incentives + some other team takes Contreras off the Sox' hands.

I'd rather have Contreras than Colon at that price.

Trav
11-18-2007, 05:46 PM
If KW signed him, that means KW would also have to go out and sign another SP for insurance. With any luck, you have that great problem of having an adequate SP coming in from the pen. With any luck like last year, Contreras or another starter would also go down with Colon mid way through the year and the sixth starter would be terrible.

balke
11-19-2007, 10:35 AM
If KW signed him, that means KW would also have to go out and sign another SP for insurance. With any luck, you have that great problem of having an adequate SP coming in from the pen. With any luck like last year, Contreras or another starter would also go down with Colon mid way through the year and the sixth starter would be terrible.

Why would they need another pitcher? Floyd and Danks would be perfect coming in if someone were to get hurt. Beyond that there's Broadway and Gio.

Sox won't get Colon unless they trade a pitcher or two and get desperate. It'd be too much money at this point.

spiffie
11-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Only way I see this happening is if the Sox lose out on all the CFs out there on the market. If Hunter, Rowand, Jones, Cameron, and Fukudome all sign elsewhere Kenny may decide to take a flyer at the #4-5 spot in the rotation and hope to just outpitch everyone this year, and pray for production from Richar, Owens, Uribe, Fields, and Crede.

dickallen15
11-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Only way I see this happening is if the Sox lose out on all the CFs out there on the market. If Hunter, Rowand, Jones, Cameron, and Fukudome all sign elsewhere Kenny may decide to take a flyer at the #4-5 spot in the rotation and hope to just outpitch everyone this year, and pray for production from Richar, Owens, Uribe, Fields, and Crede.

If the White Sox don't outpitch everyone, it will not matter who is in CF.

jabrch
11-19-2007, 12:14 PM
There's no way I'd give him any sort of big money (more than 3-4mm) until he proves healthy.

WhiteSox5187
11-19-2007, 12:39 PM
With Garland gone now, all of a sudden we really need pitching...I think Bartlo will be back hopefully in an incentive laden deal and hopefully he's healthy.

cws05champ
11-19-2007, 03:02 PM
On behalf of the Chicago Restaurant Association, Bartolo Colon would be very welcome back in Chicago!

SBSoxFan
11-19-2007, 03:16 PM
With Garland gone now, all of a sudden we really need pitching...I think Bartlo will be back hopefully in an incentive laden deal and hopefully he's healthy.

I'd certainly take a flier on him than either Bensen or "Abe."

PalehosePlanet
11-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Unless we trade away some our kid pitchers, I'd rather give them a shot. Someone from the Floyd/Gio/Massett/Broadway/Sisco group should be able to emerge.

TheZebra
11-19-2007, 03:32 PM
Unless we trade away some our kid pitchers, I'd rather give them a shot. Someone from the Floyd/Gio/Massett/Broadway/Sisco group should be able to emerge.

After Buehrle and Vazquez, we don't really have a sure thing in the rotation. Contreras and Danks go into the 2008 season as question marks at best, leaving two spots in the rotation questionable and one wide open. Bringing in an experienced starter to compete in the spring couldn't be a bad idea.

thomas35forever
11-19-2007, 04:34 PM
I would love to have him back, but my dad had a point and said he can't stay healthy. It's risky, but we could really use someone like him to fill Garland's shoes.

WhiteSox5187
11-19-2007, 04:54 PM
I would love to have him back, but my dad had a point and said he can't stay healthy. It's risky, but we could really use someone like him to fill Garland's shoes.
It is a risk, but so is crossing our fingers and hoping JC and the kids come through. I think signing Colon is a better option, provided it is a cheap incentive laden contract.

ShoelessJoeS
11-19-2007, 05:34 PM
After Buehrle and Vazquez, we don't really have a sure thing in the rotation. Contreras and Danks go into the 2008 season as question marks at best, leaving two spots in the rotation questionable and one wide open. Bringing in an experienced starter to compete in the spring couldn't be a bad idea.Don't get me wrong, but isn't Buehrle the only non-question mark we have? Javy had a phenomenal season last year, and my hopes are that it can be repeated...but I'm still a little nervous given his past and would not consider him a 'sure thing'.

Buehrle
Vazquez
Contreras

This could potentially be a very dominant starting three to the rotation, however, I don't see the problem with bringing in another vet like Colon at the right price.

Foulke You
11-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Colon is definitely a risk but he is a horse when he is healthy. I honestly believe Colon's biggest problem has been his weight. Bartolo lost a few lbs before coming to the Sox back in '03 and he had himself a nice year in a contract year and didn't get hurt. I wouldn't be upset if Bartolo used the White Sox to prove his worth again. If he gets hurt, we do have young pitchers that can step in if he spends time on the DL.

What I question is whether Bartolo will be affordable. He is still a big name pitcher and in a market where Carlos freakin' Silva could get $10 million per year or more, you have to wonder where Colon's salary will be for '07. Clement or Kris Benson could be cheaper options. I actually think Clement was well suited for our ballpark since he was primarily a groundball pitcher. However, his health is even more questionable than Colon's.

spiffie
11-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Colon is definitely a risk but he is a horse when he is healthy. I honestly believe Colon's biggest problem has been his weight. Bartolo lost a few lbs before coming to the Sox back in '03 and he had himself a nice year in a contract year and didn't get hurt. I wouldn't be upset if Bartolo used the White Sox to prove his worth again. If he gets hurt, we do have young pitchers that can step in if he spends time on the DL.

What I question is whether Bartolo will be affordable. He is still a big name pitcher and in a market where Carlos freakin' Silva could get $10 million per year or more, you have to wonder where Colon's salary will be for '07. Clement or Kris Benson could be cheaper options. I actually think Clement was well suited for our ballpark since he was primarily a groundball pitcher. However, his health is even more questionable than Colon's.
Carlos Silva's career ERA as a starter is only 0.03 higher than Javy Vazquez.

Foulke You
11-20-2007, 03:19 PM
Carlos Silva's career ERA as a starter is only 0.03 higher than Javy Vazquez.
Well, I think Javy has much better stuff than Silva despite the similar E.R.A. Secondly, I wouldn't want to sign Vazquez to a 5 year deal worth $60 million which is what Silva could likely get in this year's thin free agent crop. I do get your point though, but I've never thought very highly of Silva. He goes through long slump stretches where he just gets lit up during a season. Javy's struggles in '06 seemed limited to late innings and last year Javy could have won 18-20 games with better run support. I don't think you could ever get a 20 win season out of Silva while I'm willing to bet that Javy will get one before his career is over. However, I'm getting off topic here.:cool:

white sox bill
11-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Not to hijack but whats the status on Gagne? Isn't he a FA? Has some risks I know, but if he would tolerate a set up......BTW I always thought Bartolo looked good in a Sox uni, but maybe a few sizes smaller

Sargeant79
11-20-2007, 03:44 PM
Given the lack of good pitchers on the market, somebody will probably give Colon a 1 year deal for $8-10 million, maybe even 2 years. I'd be very surprised if it was the White Sox.

Gammons Peter
11-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Buehrle is a solid two, Javy a nice four and Jose is a great five.

russ99
11-20-2007, 04:14 PM
I'm not especially sold on Bartolo's potential return to form.

I know Kenny's quoted as saying Floyd has the #5 job, but what do you think about the Sox signing Livan Hernandez?

He'll probably sign for way too much salary due to the pitching-thin FA market, but he'd be a decent option at 3 or 4.

Lip Man 1
11-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Hernandez gives you innings and he's been durable. I'd like the move but I'm sure he could get a very nice deal because of the lack of pitching.

Lip

Ziggy S
11-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Hasn't Livian Hernandez pitched his entire career in the National League? I think he might get lit up facing lineups like the Yankees, Red Sox, Indians, and Tigers.

I'd have no problem with our team signing Colon. I don't think he'll get an offer beyond 6 mil a year for two seasons or 7 mil for one and unlike Mr. Anna Benson and Clement, Bartolo was consistenly good before his injury troubles.

Foulke You
11-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Hasn't Livian Hernandez pitched his entire career in the National League? I think he might get lit up facing lineups like the Yankees, Red Sox, Indians, and Tigers.
I hear ya. Signing career NL pitchers who post modest #s there make me very nervous. I think I've been permenently scarred by Todd Ritchie.:D:

Huisj
11-21-2007, 04:35 PM
I hear ya. Signing career NL pitchers who post modest #s there make me very nervous. I think I've been permenently scarred by Todd Ritchie.:D:

That and watching Hernandez in the playoffs was just painful. Even when he was pitching ok, he looked worn out and exhausted.

btrain929
11-25-2007, 09:14 PM
The more I think about it, the more I'm on board to sign a Livan Hernandez or Bartolo Colon or possibly a Randy Wolf. You would think they can hopefully give you a modest ERA (4.5.....or 5 on the high end) and give you 6 strong innings (Colon maybe less, Livan maybe more). Sounds like a guy we just traded that was making 12 million a year and was due for a raise in his mind. Plus we'd only be paying 6-7 mil for one, MAYBE two years for one of those guys. The main thing is that it was give us a bridge of one more year to develop Gio and Egbert and maybe Broadway in AAA. Buehrle/Vazquez/Contreras/Livan or Colon/Danks or Floyd. That's not a 2005 staff, but it's probably better than having 2-3 rookies/young guys in there.

rowand33
11-25-2007, 09:54 PM
The more I think about it, the more I'm on board to sign a Livan Hernandez or Bartolo Colon or possibly a Randy Wolf. You would think they can hopefully give you a modest ERA (4.5.....or 5 on the high end) and give you 6 strong innings (Colon maybe less, Livan maybe more). Sounds like a guy we just traded that was making 12 million a year and was due for a raise in his mind. Plus we'd only be paying 6-7 mil for one, MAYBE two years for one of those guys. The main thing is that it was give us a bridge of one more year to develop Gio and Egbert and maybe Broadway in AAA. Buehrle/Vazquez/Contreras/Livan or Colon/Danks or Floyd. That's not a 2005 staff, but it's probably better than having 2-3 rookies/young guys in there.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd love to have Livan Hernandez on this team. He's the definition of solid. His durability and high 4s ERA should be able to pitch his way to 13-15 wins if he gets the proper amount of run support. He will always keep you in the game, and that's exactly what you want out of a #4.

I'd look favorably on a rotation of Buehrle/Vazquez/Contreras/Hernandez/Danks.

I think he's too expensive though. The guy is probably the best FA pitcher. I'd be surprised if the Sox signed him.

I like Colon because the reward is so high, but I wouldn't just hand him a spot. Hernandez would just get a spot. He wouldn't compete with Floyd or Danks.

btrain929
11-25-2007, 10:36 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd love to have Livan Hernandez on this team. He's the definition of solid. His durability and high 4s ERA should be able to pitch his way to 13-15 wins if he gets the proper amount of run support. He will always keep you in the game, and that's exactly what you want out of a #4.

I think he's too expensive though. The guy is probably the best FA pitcher. I'd be surprised if the Sox signed him.

I like Colon because the reward is so high, but I wouldn't just hand him a spot. Hernandez would just get a spot. He wouldn't compete with Floyd or Danks.

I wonder what type of contracts will be offered to these guys. I can't see anyone offer Colon a multi-year deal unless its a club option. 1 year 5-9 mil deal based on possible incentives. Livan, maybe 2 yrs 18 mil max? If somehow we could get Livan for 2 yrs 14 mil or something, I'd probably pull the trigger, but thats highly unlikely.

santo=dorf
11-25-2007, 10:48 PM

Never before have I seen someone clamor for a high 4 NL ERA.

You've just also pointed out how worthless season win total are to a pitcher by saying "if gets the proper amount of run support." That's John Madden analysis there.

In case you weren't aware, the 2007 White Sox were arguably the league's worst offense, so nobody should be banking on run support next year.