PDA

View Full Version : Old "Son of Svengoolie" clip for 1983 Sox

hsnterprize
11-17-2007, 03:28 PM
For those of us who remember the "Son of Svengoolie" show back in the '80s (and for those who don't), it was a funny mixture of dialogue and skits mixed with whatever horror movie that was playing on TV at the time. Svengoolie is/was one of Chicago's originals, and I really liked watching him on TV. Anyway, thanks to the website, "FuzzyMemories.TV", I found a clip of him singing a parody song in tribute to the 1983 "Winning Ugly" Sox.

He's singing a parody to Men Without Hats' "The Safety Dance", which was a big pop and dance hit back in the early 80's. Anyway...here's the clip (http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/screen.php?c=285&m=xxsonsvenxx&p=1). Enjoy.

103 screwball
11-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Life was so much simpler back then. I loved that team.

LongLiveFisk
11-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Life was so much simpler back then. I loved that team.

You're so right.

And I loved that team also. Should have been the 1983 World Series Champions.

WhiteSox5187
11-17-2007, 04:43 PM
<Sigh> That team shoulda won so much more...

veeter
11-18-2007, 07:37 AM
Easily my favorite Sox team that didn't win the title. I was a sophomore in high school, life was really good. Damn you, Tito Landrum!!

Brian26
11-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Easily my favorite Sox team that didn't win the title. I was a sophomore in high school, life was really good. Damn you, Tito Landrum!!

Damn you Dybber. If he's not running with his head down, Landrum never bats in the 10th.

Hoyt at home in Game Five would have been automatic.

slavko
11-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Sven = Genius. Plus ya gotta love his makeup.

soxfanatlanta
11-18-2007, 03:21 PM
An excellent memory. Good find.

PalehosePlanet
11-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Ahhh...brings back great memories.

BTW: If I had a dollar for every time I said, or thought: If we only could have gotten to game 5, with Hoyt pitching we would have that game.

Does anyone know if Rich Koz is a Sox fan?

TommyJohn
11-18-2007, 09:49 PM
Damn you Dybber. If he's not running with his head down, Landrum never bats in the 10th.

I love all the what if lamenters who think that Hoyt would have been "automatic."

WhiteSox5187
11-19-2007, 01:46 AM
I love all the what if lamenters who think that Hoyt would have been "automatic."
I wasn't alive in '83, but it certainly sounds like he was on a tear....the problem really was that the Sox bats just went to sleep. And had Kittle not been knocked out of commission in game three, who knows what coulda happened.

TommyJohn
11-19-2007, 09:01 AM
I wasn't alive in '83, but it certainly sounds like he was on a tear....the problem really was that the Sox bats just went to sleep. And had Kittle not been knocked out of commission in game three, who knows what coulda happened.

Exactly. For all we know, Hoyt might've given up a solo home run to Cal Ripken and lost 1-0. The Sox bats were dead and did not look like they'd wake up any time soon. That's why all the what if lamenting is pointless.

Oldfellah
11-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Thanks for bringing me back to my hey days!!!! <sniffle>:redneck

SBSoxFan
11-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Exactly. For all we know, Hoyt might've given up a solo home run to Cal Ripken and lost 1-0. The Sox bats were dead and did not look like they'd wake up any time soon. That's why all the what if lamenting is pointless.

"What if" is kinda pointless by definition. Still, I woulda liked the Sox' chances in game 5.

Hard to believe Koz is still around with that same routine. I actually preferred Elvira. :D:

ChetChat
11-19-2007, 01:41 PM
I loved the old Svenmeister...
good memories.
I still can't hear "Berwyn" without smiling.

Brian26
11-19-2007, 10:09 PM

Oh give it up. Enough with the anti-hero gimmick. The Sox owned Flanagan that year, and they had already beat him in Game 1. Game 5, winner take all, with Hoyt vs. Flanagan at Old Comiskey, and I'll bet the mortgage on the Sox.

Edit- as Lip points out, it was Scott McGregor who was the #1 starter for the O's. Still a funky lefthander just like Flanagan. My bad.

LongLiveFisk
11-19-2007, 10:31 PM
Oh give it up. Enough with the anti-hero gimmick. The Sox owned Flanagan that year, and they had already beat him in Game 1. Game 5, winner take all, with Hoyt vs. Flanagan at Old Comiskey, and I'll bet the mortgage on the Sox.

Well I'm sure the people who question it are looking at it from a "you never know" standpoint, although your point is well-taken.

But like they say, "That's why they play the games." :smile:

Lip Man 1
11-19-2007, 10:56 PM
The Sox beat Scott McGregor in Game #1 of the ALCS and I think he would have been the game #5 starter. Flanagan pitched that Friday night in winning game #3.

Lip

ignazlives
11-20-2007, 12:05 AM
On the same web site look under local commercials. Then go to the WBMX "Progressive" FM 103 ad.

JorgeFabregas
11-20-2007, 12:14 AM
For those of us who remember the "Son of Svengoolie" show back in the '80s (and for those who don't), it was a funny mixture of dialogue and skits mixed with whatever horror movie that was playing on TV at the time. Svengoolie is/was one of Chicago's originals, and I really liked watching him on TV. Anyway, thanks to the website, "FuzzyMemories.TV", I found a clip of him singing a parody song in tribute to the 1983 "Winning Ugly" Sox.
I loved the old Svenmeister...
good memories.
I still can't hear "Berwyn" without smiling.

You guys are talking in the past tense. The show's been back on the air since channel 26 switched formats--years. It's pretty much the only show I ever watch.

Sad
11-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Sven = Genius. Plus ya gotta love his makeup.

Sven rules ... always has

rdwj
11-20-2007, 09:06 AM
You guys are talking in the past tense. The show's been back on the air since channel 26 switched formats--years. It's pretty much the only show I ever watch.

I watch it pretty often too. My 5 yr old LOVES monster movies and the ones Svengoolie features are just about her speed. She rarely gets deep into the movie before falling alseep, but it's fun anyway.

PeoriaSoxFan
11-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Awesome link and good memory. I started searching the site for a clip of Ray Rayner. I remember him giving the scores in the AM with that hat that had Cubs on one side and the Sox on the other. But I digress...

PeteWard
11-21-2007, 10:17 AM
Awesome link and good memory. I started searching the site for a clip of Ray Rayner. I remember him giving the scores in the AM with that hat that had Cubs on one side and the Sox on the other. But I digress...

No clip but some info on RR here

http://chicagotelevision.com/rayner.htm

TommyJohn
11-21-2007, 01:21 PM

Edit- as Lip points out, it was Scott McGregor who was the #1 starter for the O's. Still a funky lefthander just like Flanagan. My bad.

Anti-hero? Who, me? I just don't like it when people talk about something like
it was an absolute guarantee, and this goes for people who say the same
about the 1994 season. Particularly if you're going to hang the blame solely
on Jerry Dybzynski. He is not the reason the White Sox did not win the
pennant that year, just a convenient target because of one baserunning
blunder. Their loss was a complete team effort.

Ex-Chicagoan
11-21-2007, 02:58 PM
The Sox beat Scott McGregor in Game #1 of the ALCS and I think he would have been the game #5 starter. Flanagan pitched that Friday night in winning game #3.

Lip

Right. It was Flanagan who hit Kittle in the knee (was it the knee? Time marches on).

SBSoxFan
11-21-2007, 03:12 PM
Anti-hero? Who, me? I just don't like it when people talk about something like
it was an absolute guarantee, and this goes for people who say the same
about the 1994 season. Particularly if you're going to hang the blame solely
on Jerry Dybzynski. He is not the reason the White Sox did not win the
pennant that year, just a convenient target because of one baserunning
blunder. Their loss was a complete team effort.

Those are very different circumstances. You're talking 49 games vs. two games. IMO, the '94 team was certainly no lock and underachieved under Lamont. However, had the Dibber not overrun second, it's likely the Sox score that inning, and Burns did shut out Baltimore for 9 innings. Of course it's all speculation, but it sure would have been nice to see.

TommyJohn
11-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Those are very different circumstances. You're talking 49 games vs. two games. IMO, the '94 team was certainly no lock and underachieved under Lamont. However, had the Dibber not overrun second, it's likely the Sox score that inning, and Burns did shut out Baltimore for 9 innings. Of course it's all speculation, but it sure would have been nice to see.
Sure, it is fun to say what COULD have happened, as in "Hoyt might've
pitched them into the Series in Game 5." But to say that it absolutely
would have happened in my opinion makes no sense.

Besides, the very next year the Cubs had their unbeatable ace on the
mound for Game 5 against San Diego and we all know how well that
turned out for them.

Brian26
11-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Sure, it is fun to say what COULD have happened, as in "Hoyt might've
pitched them into the Series in Game 5." But to say that it absolutely
would have happened in my opinion makes no sense.

Implying otherwise would be a disservice to the '83 team. I'm not debating that the game had to be played on the field.

Besides, the very next year the Cubs had their unbeatable ace on the
mound for Game 5 against San Diego and we all know how well that
turned out for them.

Comparing what kind of magic happens to the north side franchise has little value when speaking about the Good Guys. You just lost all credibility.

Hitmenof77
11-22-2007, 10:59 AM
Implying otherwise would be a disservice to the '83 team. I'm not debating that the game had to be played on the field.

Comparing what kind of magic happens to the north side franchise has little value when speaking about the Good Guys. You just lost all credibility.

So if he would have brought up Bob Gibson in the 68 World Series, would that give him more credibility? Gibson of the 1.12 ERA and winner of two other games in the World Series seemed to be lock in Game 7 but the Cardinals lost that series.

So Hoyt was far from a lock and even if Hoyt pitched well, the Sox had to score runs, something they didn't do that well in that series.

Brian26
11-22-2007, 10:46 PM
So if he would have brought up Bob Gibson in the 68 World Series, would that give him more credibility?

Yes.

gaelhound
11-24-2007, 09:51 PM

Damn You LaRussa! Leaving Tidrow and Lamp to rot while you put Burns out too long!

Brian26
11-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Damn You LaRussa! Leaving Tidrow and Lamp to rot while you put Burns out too long!

I trust Burns in the top of the 10th more than gas-can Tidrow or Lamp in that situation.