PDA

View Full Version : Konerko's Strikeouts in 2007 not so bad considering he had this working against him

Soxfanspcu11
11-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Konerko's strikeout totals in 2007 are really not that bad at all when you consider that he had this going against him.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-11-15-name-game_N.htm

Chances are that he had no idea about this at all, and hopefully he doesn't find out and it turns out to hurt him at the plate.

I'm trying to think of other players with the letter K in either their first or last name who happened to srike out a lot. Do you guys have any to add???

upperdeckusc
11-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Kadam Dunn and Richie Kexton
But seriously, this past year Khalil Green struck out a decent amount.

Soxfanspcu11
11-16-2007, 08:54 PM
Kadam Dunn and Richie Kexton

Damn! Your right!!

How could I have not included Kammy Kosa, Kark Kcguire and Karl "Hot Karl" Krawford!!!

But in all seriousness, I wonder just how much this really potentially hurts people. Especially in the part where it talked about students with C or D in their name getting lower grades.

Obviously, one of the people in charge of the research felt it was much more than just a coincidence. It's insane that people would be affected like this.

dickallen15
11-16-2007, 09:28 PM
Good thing Josh Fields' parents didn't name him Kirk. Think how ugly that would have been.

fquaye149
11-17-2007, 07:39 AM
I guess it's time to stop calling him GIDPaul Konerko then!

jabrch
11-17-2007, 09:04 AM
Dave Kingman comes to mind.

Taliesinrk
11-17-2007, 09:53 AM
This is why "research" is dumb

fquaye149
11-17-2007, 10:30 AM
This is why "research" is dumb

forward this post to the academics of America!!!!!!

TDog
11-17-2007, 12:12 PM
I heard this being discussed on NPR Thursday morning. I don't believe a lot of heavy research went into this. The study seems more observational than anything else. The first thing that came to mind for me when I heard baseball players discussed was that you can find HR in George Herman "Babe" Ruth's monogram.

Konerko doesn't even strike out that much by today's standards. Last season, Carl Crawford struck out in 19.2 percent of his at bats, compared to Konerko striking out in 18.6 percent of his at bats. Crawford is striking out more than he used to, though. His career percentage is only 15.1 percent, a bit behind Konerko.

When Bill Melton was playing, the Chicago media heavily criticized him because he struck out more than 100 times in a couple of seasons at the beginning of his career. His high was 107, and over the course of his career, he struck out in 16.8 percent of his official at bats -- not that M is a strike out letter, despite Mickey Mantle holding the all-time record when Melton was playing. Mantle, who was eventually surpassed by Reggie Jackson, stuck out in 21.1 percent of his at bats.

Konerko's career high is 109, and he strikes out in 15.9 percent of his at bats in an age where strike outs for power hitters have become more acceptable. Reggie Jackson now holds the record for strike outs and, in fact, struck out in 26.3 percent of his at bats. Sammy Sosa seems to be chasing the record, and strikes out in 26.1 percent of his at bats.

But it isn't just the big home run hitters who strike out in more than a quarter of their at bats anymore. Curtis Granderson has struck out in 26.2 percent of his at bats.

fquaye149
11-17-2007, 12:36 PM
striking out a lot is generally the sign of a productive hitter, insofar as it means that

a.) they're taking a lot of power swings
b.) they're, as in the case of the likes of Adam Dunn and Jim Thome, patient hitters who are willing to get rung up on a caught looking if they feel it's out of their strike zone--in other words, if they strike out a lot they probably walk a lot.

TDog
11-17-2007, 01:23 PM
striking out a lot is generally the sign of a productive hitter, insofar as it means that

a.) they're taking a lot of power swings
b.) they're, as in the case of the likes of Adam Dunn and Jim Thome, patient hitters who are willing to get rung up on a caught looking if they feel it's out of their strike zone--in other words, if they strike out a lot they probably walk a lot.

Then you have players like Chuck Brinkman, a White Sox catcher from the early 1970s whose big brother played a great shortstop for the Senators. He struck out in 22.5 percent of his at bats, but only hit .172 over six seasons. Extrapolating his walks over a 162-game season would have given him a total of 25. He hit one career home run.

I was watching the game when he hit it. I'm sure I was more surprised than pitcher Rudy May when Brinkman hit it.

fquaye149
11-17-2007, 02:07 PM
Then you have players like Chuck Brinkman, a White Sox catcher from the early 1970s whose big brother played a great shortstop for the Senators. He struck out in 22.5 percent of his at bats, but only hit .172 over six seasons. Extrapolating his walks over a 162-game season would have given him a total of 25. He hit one career home run.

I was watching the game when he hit it. I'm sure I was more surprised than pitcher Rudy May when Brinkman hit it.

well some people just flat out can't hit :D:

Brian26
11-17-2007, 02:51 PM
What does this mean for Sandy Koufax?

fquaye149
11-17-2007, 02:59 PM
What does this mean for Sandy Koufax?

He should have had more saves!

the1tab
11-17-2007, 03:24 PM
This explains the inability of Carlos Zambrano from getting a team into 1st place.