PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Rogers Dumps Boras

IlliniSox4Life
11-16-2007, 07:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3115010

Now we just need the rest of baseball to do it.

Frontman
11-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Not all of baseball, but I would certainly be happy if a certain clutch 3rd baseman for the Sox would.

Ziggy S
11-17-2007, 12:30 AM
Got to know when to hold em
Know when to fold em
Know when to run

kevin57
11-17-2007, 08:00 AM
After being king maker, BoieA$$ must be starting to see the pitchforks, clubs, and torches coming towards his castle.

itsnotrequired
11-17-2007, 10:10 AM
After being king maker, BoieA$$ must be starting to see the pitchforks, clubs, and torches coming towards his castle.

I'm willing to bet the vast majority of Boras' agents are more than satisfied with his services.

SoxandtheCityTee
11-17-2007, 01:12 PM
I'm willing to bet the vast majority of Boras' agents are more than satisfied with his services.

You mean clients, I think, and I agree. Still, new clients have to come from somewhere; athletic careers tend to be short. Up-and-coming players have to pass through the land of arbitration clauses before arriving at the green pastures of free agency, and Boras has lost 12 of his last 15 arbitrations.

Does he change his approach to arb hearings and related negotiations (competitors will say "he's losing it"), or stick with it (then it's "he's stubborn, unable to adjust")? Does he assume that clients -- even those of more moderate ability, who know that they will never get an A-Rod type contract -- will just ignore this recent record? Assuming for present purposes that all players are interested in is maximizing their pay, does that record offer a solid guarantee that they will at that stage?

Much of Boras's huge past success was due to his own skill, but I believe that a piece of it was the result of structural problems with the way baseball had done things and poorly thought-out (if thought-out at all; some people react to him viscerally) or poorly executed approaches of dealing with him. Owners and GMs can be a noodle-headed bunch, God love 'em, but over time, some of them can learn, some of them get replaced by, or assisted by, people who know better, etc. It's just an observation.

I'm not suggesting --or wishing, this is nothing personal -- that Boras is going to fold his tents and steal away into the night any time soon. (Or ever, really: a man with his money can find many ways of being visible, such as philanthropy). A guy I know whose son was in the amateur draft just this year hired Boras's group to advise. That pipeline is long and full. I just have a sense that it is not easy for Boras to be Boras these days. We'll see.

itsnotrequired
11-17-2007, 01:17 PM
You mean clients, I think, and I agree.

:redface:

I have shamed us all...

SoxandtheCityTee
11-17-2007, 01:19 PM
:redface:

I have shamed us all...

Nonsense. You are a beacon light for posters everywhere.:smile:

slavko
11-18-2007, 11:25 AM
I vaguely remember he played for beans with the Twins after he left the Rangers because Boras overplayed his hand and couldn't find a taker. Can anyone confirm?

HomeFish
11-18-2007, 01:48 PM
I vaguely remember he played for beans with the Twins after he left the Rangers because Boras overplayed his hand and couldn't find a taker. Can anyone confirm?

Yeah, and he absolutely killed the Sox while he was there. A lot of us were seriously angered that Kenny didn't sign Rogers that offseason.

Lip Man 1
11-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Rogers signed with Minnesota for two million a season. Kenny confirmed he offered him one million before the Twins topped the Sox offer. (How often do you hear that?) Kenny wasn't comfortable making another offer and the rest is history.

He had some good seasons in Minnesota including beating the Sox at U.S. Cellular one year to clinch the divisional title.

Lip