PDA

View Full Version : Former Reds Broadcaster Joe Nuxhall passes away

PKalltheway
11-16-2007, 03:00 PM
A very, very, sad day here in Cincy. Former Reds pitcher, and long time broadcaster Joe Nuxhall passes away at 79. We'll miss ya.:(::whiner:
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071116/SPT04/311160012/-1/nuxhall

Paulwny
11-16-2007, 03:04 PM
RIP
From the Buffalo News:
Nuxhall was so rattled when summoned to warm up that he tripped on the top step of the dugout and fell on his face in front of 3,510 fans at Crosley Field. He was terrified when it came time to walk to the mound.
"Probably two weeks prior to that, I was pitching against seventh-, eighth- and ninth-graders, kids 13 and 14 years old," he said. "All of a sudden, I look up and there's Stan Musial and the likes. It was a very scary situation."

SBSoxFan
11-16-2007, 03:12 PM
RIP
From the Buffalo News:
Nuxhall was so rattled when summoned to warm up that he tripped on the top step of the dugout and fell on his face in front of 3,510 fans at Crosley Field. He was terrified when it came time to walk to the mound.
"Probably two weeks prior to that, I was pitching against seventh-, eighth- and ninth-graders, kids 13 and 14 years old," he said. "All of a sudden, I look up and there's Stan Musial and the likes. It was a very scary situation."

He was the youngest person ever to play in the majors, right? If memory serves, he was 15 when being called up?!

Paulwny
11-16-2007, 03:24 PM
He was the youngest person ever to play in the majors, right? If memory serves, he was 15 when being called up?!

Yep, From the Buffalo News:

No one in modern baseball history has played in the majors at such a young age - 15 years, 10 months, 11 days old. He got two outs against St. Louis before losing his composure, then went eight years before pitching for the Reds again.

SoxandtheCityTee
11-17-2007, 01:30 PM
I wondered why he was called up so young -- it was wartime.

This point's been noted but I liked this wording, from the AP story:

Brought up by Cincinnati to pitch during World War II - just out of junior high classes, he unraveled at the sight of Stan Musial in the on-deck circle - Nuxhall worked more than six decades for the Reds. He continued to pitch batting practice into the 1980s and was a member of the team's Hall of Fame.

Well, who wouldn't?