PDA

View Full Version : Jeter-- NYS Tax Probe

Paulwny
11-16-2007, 10:00 AM
From The NY Post:
The Yankee captain is fighting New York officials over whether he actually lives in the state and owes millions in back taxes.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11162007/news/regionalnews/ny_want_hunk_out_of_jeter_154081.htm

jabrch
11-16-2007, 11:30 AM
If the government feels like it needs extra tax revenues, they can make a ton of cash by going after each of the top 100 salaried athlete's who claim residence in Florida or some other state that doesn't charge income tax.

DumpJerry
11-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Before this thread appeared, one of the lawyers in my office said he heard about it, but was told that Jeter told New York he's a Florida resident and told Florida he's a New York resident.

It's not nice to fool Mother Nature.

doublem23
11-16-2007, 11:46 AM
I don't know how I feel about this... Obviously, there is a strong state's rights issue here for which I support, but there's also an anti-being a huge douchebag issue.

I'm no expert in tax law, but if he has an apartment in New York with his personal belongings, I would assume that's a slam dunk case? :dunno:

drewcifer
11-16-2007, 11:52 AM
I don't know how I feel about this... Obviously, there is a strong state's rights issue here for which I support, but there's also an anti-being a huge douchebag issue here.

I'm no expert in tax law, but if he has an apartment in New York with his personal belongings, I would assume that's a slam dunk case? :dunno:

*paging ilsox7*

Paulwny
11-16-2007, 11:58 AM
I don't know if this pertains to Jeter but, if he has a NYS Drivers' Liscense the state of NY considers him a NYS resident.
NYS has gone after many snow-birds who claim Florida as a residence but, retain their NYS liscenses.

SBSoxFan
11-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Before this thread appeared, one of the lawyers in my office said he heard about it, but was told that Jeter told New York he's a Florida resident and told Florida he's a New York resident.

It's not nice to fool Mother Nature.

That's a double dip isn't it? The only reason to tell Florida he was a NY resident would be to get a tax credit, right?

mjmcend
11-16-2007, 03:32 PM
On the radio they were talking about needing to be in the state for 180 days to be considered to have resided there. New York is going to have an awful hard time proving he was there for that long since half of the baseball season he is out of town. Thrown in spring training and as long as Jeter doesn't spend his whole offseason in New York (and I doubt he does), then NY is going to have quite the tough case on their hands.

drewcifer
11-16-2007, 03:38 PM
On the radio they were talking about needing to be in the state for 180 days to be considered to have resided there. New York is going to have an awful hard time proving he was there for that long since half of the baseball season he is out of town. Thrown in spring training and as long as Jeter doesn't spend his whole offseason in New York (and I doubt he does), then NY is going to have quite the tough case on their hands.

Your right, but the article referred to a 2nd methodology ("domecility" or something like that).

Basically, if his road games result in him coming "home" (i.e. - he hangs his hat and drops his bags in his NY pad), than those travel days during the season count toward the NY residential time. If that is true, you got 162+ right there.

Whatever.. I'm just pretending that I give a **** anyway.

ilsox7
11-16-2007, 03:38 PM
I don't know how I feel about this... Obviously, there is a strong state's rights issue here for which I support, but there's also an anti-being a huge douchebag issue.

Not a slam dunk. For instance, many folks have vacation homes in Florida. But that does not make them a resident of Florida for income tax purposes. I only read a brief article about Jeter's case, but I'd find it a bit odd if New York was going after him without a pretty sound case.