PDA

View Full Version : Pay-Rod gets $275 million deal

santo=dorf
11-15-2007, 06:42 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/11/15/arod.yankees.ap/index.html

Will any player ever sign two $250 million contracts again?

This move has the Yankees paying even more money for him as they lose out on what Texas was giving them.

TDog
11-15-2007, 06:45 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/11/15/arod.yankees.ap/index.html

This move has the Yankees paying even more money for him as they lose out on what Texas was giving them.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the Yankees, like the Rangers back in the day, were in reality only bidding against themselves.

DickAllen72
11-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Now that the terms have been set and publicized, and assuming he hasn't yet officially signed the paperwork, what if another GM swooped in and offered to match that contract?

Supposedly A-Rod wanted out of NY but nobody was willing to negotiate with Boras because he was asking for $350-$400M and everyone knows how he operates. Seems like another team could tell A-Rod they'll match the offer and get A-Rod a fresh start with a new team out of NY.

DSpivack
11-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Now that the terms have been set and publicized, and assuming he hasn't yet officially signed the paperwork, what if another GM swooped in and offered to match that contract?

Supposedly A-Rod wanted out of NY but nobody was willing to negotiate with Boras because he was asking for $350-$400M and everyone knows how he operates. Seems like another team could tell A-Rod they'll match the offer and get A-Rod a fresh start with a new team out of NY.

What other team could match the offer? If somebody could, they would.

getonbckthr
11-15-2007, 08:48 PM

I am absolutely cheering for the Mets or RedSox to come up with an offer with the same incentives only 10 years and like 330 million. Could you imagine what the "Evil Empire" would do if one of their rivals did that? Yankee fans might kill Arod if that happened, literally.

Chicken Dinner
11-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Money buys nothing but disappointments, :D:

goofymsfan
11-15-2007, 11:33 PM

By opting out of the original contract, A-rod has helped the Rangers. Now they will have some funds available. If they are smart, they will use it to find some pitching.

DSpivack
11-15-2007, 11:56 PM
By opting out of the original contract, A-rod has helped the Rangers. Now they will have some funds available. If they are smart, they will use it to find some pitching.

Rangers save "only" $21 million.

Sockinchisox
11-16-2007, 12:00 AM

They're giving it to Hunter.

DSpivack
11-16-2007, 12:07 AM
They're giving it to Hunter.

That will pay for Hunter in 2008. And maybe two months in 2009.

MUsoxfan
11-16-2007, 01:44 AM
This deal makes me much happier than it would than if he got $30m or more. $30m just seems like a huge market inflater to me.

goofymsfan
11-16-2007, 06:08 AM
This deal makes me much happier than it would than if he got $30m or more. $30m just seems like a huge market inflater to me.

I may be in the minority here, I think $25 million is/was a huge market inflater.

DumpJerry
11-16-2007, 06:46 AM
I'm glad he signed with the Yankees. If he signed anywhere else, it would be a top story during Spring Training and April taking attention away from other teams and players who deserve it. It also is the worst thing that can happen to the Red Sox, they face him the maximum number of times each year in the best team in their division who is not named "Red Sox."

As far as his contract price goes, it does not bother me. The Red Sox and Yankees are so ridiculously rich, they don't set the market price for the other 28 teams. If ARod had signed a contract for this much with someone else, then I think it would set the market for everyone else.

Frontman
11-16-2007, 07:12 AM
There's a part of me that would like to see A-Rod move on and play elsewhere.

There's the other part of me that thinks Alex and the Yankees are made for each other.

spawn
11-16-2007, 07:14 AM
As far as his contract price goes, it does not bother me. The Red Sox and Yankees are so ridiculously rich, they don't set the market price for the other 28 teams. If ARod had signed a contract for this much with someone else, then I think it would set the market for everyone else.
I agree completely. Also, I can't be mad at A-Rod. If you can find someone willing to pay you a ridiculous amount of money, go for it.

Oblong
11-16-2007, 07:29 AM
I was hoping he'd go to LA or Florida. One less AL team to worry about, to some degree. The Yankees are solid perennial contenders with him and would have been marginal contenders without him.

balke
11-16-2007, 08:24 AM
Kenny blows another one, way to go!

skottyj242
11-16-2007, 09:33 AM
Nothing is official yet though right?

Fenway
11-16-2007, 10:31 AM
A-Rod, Yankees agree to terms (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/11/16/2007-11-16_arod_yankees_agree_to_terms_on_275m_deal.html)

Alex Rodriguez might not have snagged the $300 million he was looking for on the open market, but the Yankees have agreed to give him the biggest contract in sports history. +

cbotnyse
11-16-2007, 01:16 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2007/11/16/news/newsmakers/arod_goldman/index.htm?postversion=2007111609

interesting behind-the-scenes article

Jerome
11-16-2007, 01:39 PM
And I wouldn't be surprised if the Yankees, like the Rangers back in the day, were in reality only bidding against themselves.

yeah, i find it hard to believe that another team would shell out this much

downstairs
11-16-2007, 04:34 PM
How funny would it be if this all fell through?