PDA

View Full Version : The First Domino to Fall: Yorvit Torrealba a Met

Domeshot17
11-15-2007, 06:10 PM
Heard it on the espn video thing on espn.com, he is in the process of finalizing a 3 year deal. Not earth shattering, but the first FA to sign, unless Arod beats him to the dotted line first.

manders_01
11-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Just got an email that he signed. I'm sad to see him go but the Rox will get another catcher. Unfortunately, it may be Barrett as they have been courting him hard. :o:

drewcifer
11-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Just got an email that he signed. I'm sad to see him go but the Rox will get another catcher. Unfortunately, it may be Barrett as they have been courting him hard. :o:

He's a ********, but after Posada got signed, he's really the next best C
on the market (no offense to you and any Torrealba feelings).

Sockinchisox
11-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Well they'll get a lot more offense out of Barrett then they ever did from Torrealba.

And Barrett will be making his return to the Cell during IL play too if he signs with the Rox.

Ziggy S
11-15-2007, 09:57 PM
drewcifer:What about Paul lo Duca?

manders_01
11-15-2007, 10:02 PM
He's a ********, but after Posada got signed, he's really the next best C
on the market (no offense to you and any Torrealba feelings).

None taken. :smile:

But I'd rather see Iannetta starting than Barrett even on the team.

ChiSoxFan35
11-15-2007, 10:47 PM
There was a post around here earlier about Ozzie favoring Latinos, how about Omar Minaya? It's kind of funny, because LoDuca once came under fire for making some comments about there being a big Latin contingent (I think it was something about him needing to know the language to talk to the pitching staff, and something else about them needing to step up and talk to the media and not pretend they can't speak English)

My Met friend fans won't be happy, LoDuca was valued by them as a leader. He's a red ass type who will hold the players accountable and isn't scared to call you out if necessary. Meanwhile, everyone else went out and hid during the collapse, they didn't respond anyways. I can't imagine wanting Torrealba for his numbers, but I don't think management liked that quality in LoDuca and want better communication to the pitching staff

GAsoxfan
11-16-2007, 09:36 AM
The Mets better hope he calls a GREAT game, because his numbers away from Coors are atrocious. Plus, he threw out only about 17% of base stealers last year. I think they'll be looking for a new catcher in a year or two.

SBSoxFan
11-16-2007, 09:52 AM
The Mets better hope he calls a GREAT game, because his numbers away from Coors are atrocious. Plus, he threw out only about 17% of base stealers last year. I think they'll be looking for a new catcher in a year or two.

So, are you trying to say he's not very good? Maybe even terr-ealba? :duck:

manders_01
11-16-2007, 10:28 AM

Yeah, that was the part about Yorvie I didn't appreciate.

manders_01
11-16-2007, 10:29 AM
So, are you trying to say he's not very good? Maybe even terr-ealba? :duck:

Wow - WOW LMAO That put a smile on my face :D:

chaerulez
11-16-2007, 12:45 PM
None taken. :smile:

But I'd rather see Iannetta starting than Barrett even on the team.

The Rockies would be foolish to give up on Iannetta this early.

Not saying they should hand him the job, but they shouldn't bring in a FA that automatically puts him on the bench.

manders_01
11-16-2007, 12:52 PM
The Rockies would be foolish to give up on Iannetta this early.

Not saying they should hand him the job, but they shouldn't bring in a FA that automatically puts him on the bench.

Agreed. I also believe the use of the farm system has worked amazingly for the Rox and would like to see it happen again. IMO, the starting catcher's position should be Iannetta's to lose rather than to gain.

Domeshot17
11-17-2007, 05:56 PM
WOW. I just heard this has completely fallen apart and there is no deal now. This was reported to be in the closing stages too..

I wonder if this has anything to do with roids

JermaineDye05
11-17-2007, 06:00 PM
WOW. I just heard this has completely fallen apart and there is no deal now. This was reported to be in the closing stages too..

I wonder if this has anything to do with roids

perhaps his name was in the mitchell report?

soxinem1
11-17-2007, 08:33 PM
Absolutely absurd! Nearly $5 million per for a guy who never even had 400 AB's in a season.

He throws like crap but calls a good game. What a joke.

Looks like the NYM had cold feet, and rightfully so.

chisoxjtrain
11-18-2007, 03:09 AM
Well it seems that Torreabla is not a Met

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3116496

manders_01
11-18-2007, 04:21 AM
Wow! I wasn't expecting that. Interested to see what lies in Yorvy's future.

jabrch
11-18-2007, 11:44 AM
He's a ********, but after Posada got signed, he's really the next best C on the market

That's only true if by catcher, you mean hitter who will play catcher. Cuz he's a terrible terrible terrible defensive catcher. If I had to rank them, he'd be amongst the bottom few catchers overall in the league regardless of his offense.

Barrett is a great fantasy catcher - but a very poor MLB starting catcher.

voodoochile
11-18-2007, 11:53 AM
There was a post around here earlier about Ozzie favoring Latinos, how about Omar Minaya? It's kind of funny, because LoDuca once came under fire for making some comments about there being a big Latin contingent (I think it was something about him needing to know the language to talk to the pitching staff, and something else about them needing to step up and talk to the media and not pretend they can't speak English)

Yes, there have been two attempts to make that assertion recently. Both of them ended up in the Roadhouse and one of the posters was banned when they refused to back up their claims with anything other than their opinion. I shut the second discussion down before that thread starter ended up getting banned too.

I think that says enough about the racial bias in the dugout issue. You got proof then post it. If not, don't take the discussion there, period.