PDA

View Full Version : Trades that should be made

AzureJazzMan
11-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Alright, I have given it a lot of thought, and feel like I came up with a few potential trades that would benefit our beloved White Sox. But, the difference is that they also make sense for our trade partners. Tweak it how and where you see fit.

First Trade:

Joe Crede and Brian Anderson
To the Cardinals, for...
Mark Worrell, RP (AAA):
W L ERA IP BB SO WHIP H
3 2 3.09 67.0 25 66 1.24 8

Brendan Ryan, SS (AAA):
AB BB SO SB HR RBI OBP AVG OPS E
323 25 39 17 1 15 .328 .272 .668 7
Or
Edgar Gonzalez, 2B (AAA):
461 50 69 15 8 53 .377 .308 .824 14
and
Colby Rasmus, CF (AA):
472 70 108 18 29 72 .381 .275 .932 6

This would definitely help us with our need for solid prospects on the verge.
They fit the "OzzieBall" style of play, which is supposedly where this team wants to be,
in terms of speed and defense (with the exception of Gonzalez who could be a Jose Valentin in the making, but you never know)

It helps us free up some of our payroll, allows Josh to take over 3B, lets Joe move closer to home, where they will need someone after they trade Rolen, and finally, BA fits the profile perfectly into the type of outfield play the Cardinals have (and also gives him the new start he definitely needs).

Trade Two:

Jose Contreras
To the Mets, for...
Willie Collazo, RP (AAA):
W L ERA IP BB SO WHIP H
6 5 2.46 98.2 19 69 1.11 8
Corey Coles, OF (AA/AAA):
G AB BB SO SB HR RBI OBP AVG OPS E (AA Stats)
66 274 24 44 9 1 22 .352 .296 .850 0
G AB BB SO SB H RBI OBP AVG OPS E (AAA Stats)
9 30 2 3 2 6 1 .273 .200 .506 0

Again, we help fill the void in the bullpen, add a solid OF prospect that has lots of upside,
plus, remove a 10 million dollar contract off the books, and no longer have to deal with hot and cold Jose. JC gets to go back and be with his mentor El Duque, and the Mets have a resonable replacement for Glavine the older innings eater, with past success.

Trade Three:

Jon Garland
To the Dodgers, for
Rafael Furcal

and maybe... James McDonald, SP (AA):
(Upon his promotion to AA)
W L G ERA IP BB SO WHIP
7 2 10 1.71 52.2 16 64 1.10

This trade gives us a solid lead off man, and huge upgrade over Uribe. Now, I am sure there are plenty of people in this forum that think I am underselling...I really don't think so. Furcal has about as much "star power" as Garland, both cost around the same in their yearly salary. So, even if it was just Jon for Furcal, I feel we would get the most bang for our buck (though I really like the way the McDonald kids throws, and his poise, and would love that addendum to the deal) Plus, Jon would get to go home to LA LA Land.

Ok, so, that's my opinion on what I feel would be the best trades our hometown heroes could make this offseason.

UserNameBlank
11-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Wow. This trade idea shows thought!

I don't know really anything about most of these players so I can't really make a comment on whether I'd like them or not. But, I do wish more trade ideas were like this though. I think if you called The Score and told this to Mike North his head would blow up.

DSpivack
11-15-2007, 03:49 PM
Brian Anderson has zero trade value and Joe Crede, because of his back problems, very little. No way we could get back Brendan Ryan or Colby Rasmus.

You are also getting rid of not one but two starting pitchers. Who should then be in the rotation?

Domeshot17
11-15-2007, 03:57 PM
:threadrules:

Just for the fact it has thought and originality to it. I opened it up to think it would be the same fluff about the same guys, and it wasnt, so thank you!

doublem23
11-15-2007, 04:03 PM
:threadrules:

Just for the fact it has thought and originality to it. I opened it up to think it would be the same fluff about the same guys, and it wasnt, so thank you!

I agree, at least there's some thought behind this... Why St. Louis would trade for our third basman with an injury question when they have a third baseman with injury questions, I don't know, but at least this isn't the usual silliness that this board is so loved for.

P.S., what is our rotation? Buehrle-Vazquez-Danks-Floyd-Broadway? Pass.

AzureJazzMan
11-15-2007, 04:06 PM
First of all, thank you for the kind words. I've tried to make trades that made sense.

As for the starting rotation, we have what is considered the "old reliable" response now, which is Danks, Floyd, Gio, Egbert, Phillips, Broadway etc. Now, assuming that those guys aren't good enough for you, there are several "vetrans" out there on the free market who are looking to prove they are still viable options as starters, and would cost between 8 and 12 mil. for one season (and we all know how KW likes to try to capture lightning in a bottle, and roll the dice). There are 3 that I might feel comfortable taking a flyer on, Freddy Garcia is out there, Bartolo Colon, and Livan Hernandez. Any 3 of them, would easily be able to do what Jose Contreras has brought the last 2 seasons.

Crede does have value, especially if you are about to trade Scott Rolen. Crede is from the same school as Eckstein, Kennedy, etc...LaRussa type guys. TL has spoken several times of his fondness of Crede. Not to mention that he has been a career Cub killer, which is always a good thing in St. Louis. BA has shown glimpses of greatness, and I am sure that most people "in the know" at the major league level, know, he could thrive in a change of scenery.

Paulwny
11-15-2007, 04:07 PM
Without eating some of Contreras' contract I think it'll be almost impossible to trade him.

DSpivack
11-15-2007, 04:16 PM
Crede does have value, especially if you are about to trade Scott Rolen. Crede is from the same school as Eckstein, Kennedy, etc...LaRussa type guys. TL has spoken several times of his fondness of Crede. Not to mention that he has been a career Cub killer, which is always a good thing in St. Louis. BA has shown glimpses of greatness, and I am sure that most people "in the know" at the major league level, know, he could thrive in a change of scenery.

IF he was healthy, Crede has tremendous value; some power, gold-glave defense; we know that. However, because of MAJOR questions relating to his back, he has very little trade value. BA has shown that he can't hit the ball at the major league level; if he had any real trade value, he would be already gone.

I do agree with the other posters, though, that you put a lot more thought into this than others have. It's not incredibly lopsided or pie in the sky or anything. I just don't think it's terribly realistic.

WhiteSox5187
11-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Ryan is the guy who wears stirrups right? Didn't he get some playing time in the MLB when Eckstein went down?? He would be a good fit at short and the Cards need a new third baseman (Rolen is on the outs with TLR and older and just as banged up)...that's a well thought out good trade proposal. Great job!

BadBobbyJenks
11-16-2007, 12:38 AM
From what I have read, Rasmus is the only prospect worth a damn in the cards farm system which means he is not going anywhere. I wouldnt want any part of anybody else from their farm.

Im interested in seeing what happens with crede, any deal will surely have to happen after lowell signs and cabrera is traded which means a lot of impatient sox fans are going to be angry.

AzureJazzMan
11-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Ok, now that Garland has been traded to LAA, that sorta put the kibosh on sending him to the Dodgers...But, it does open up a stronger opportunity on a different trade I had touched on...

Joe Crede
Juan Uribe
and
Brian Anderson

to
St. Louis
for
Mark Worrell, RP (AAA):
W L ERA IP BB SO WHIP H
3 2 3.09 67.0 25 66 1.24 8

Brendan Ryan, SS (AAA):
323 25 39 17 1 15 .328 .272 .668 7
Or
Edgar Gonzalez, 2B (AAA):
461 50 69 15 8 53 .377 .308 .824 14
and
Colby Rasmus, CF (AA):
472 70 108 18 29 72 .381 .275 .932 6

This should make a stronger case for the Good Sox, due to the fact that St. Louis will now get rid of Rolen, and will need to replace Eckstein. My offering of Joe, Juan, and Brian would yield them cost savings, and still help to stock us up on the farm.

DSpivack
11-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Crede, Uribe and Anderson? :rolling:

mjmcend
11-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Crede, Uribe and Anderson? :rolling:

What other crappy and/or hurt players can we add to this deal?

DSpivack
11-19-2007, 06:41 PM

Contreras? Not sure if we still have the rights to Andy Gonzalez and/or Luis Terrero.

soxinem1
11-19-2007, 06:46 PM

http://www.nwherald.com/baseball/photos/gonzalez626.jpg

'Ooooh, ooooh, oooooh, me, please!!!!

btrain929
11-21-2007, 12:19 PM
I know we just did a deal with the Angels, but based on the free agent list for LF'ers, I wish KW would consider (he might/not have already) a trade for Reggie Willits. I don't know too much about his defense, but he has hit for high avg/OBP and has speed to contribute. Since the only place our leadoff hitter can come from is LF and 2b, I would really like to see this move made. If some type of Crede for Willits deal could be made, or a Konerko for Kotchman, Willits, and an arm or 2, i'd like to see Willits in LF leading off.

Willits
Cabrera
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Hunter
Fields
Pierzynski
Richar

The only problem is the amount of right-handed hitters we have. But I think our players would prefer to face right-handed starters/relievers then left-handed starters/relievers anyways, so that shouldn't be a big deal. Besides Willits and maybe Crawford (who's not really a leadoff hitter), there's no other LF leadoff hitters out there. Another that just came to mind is Ryan Freel. He's coming off an injury (KW's type of player to get on the cheap), but always put up solid OBP's in Cincy, obviously has great speed, and according to Rotoworld, Cincy is shopping him around hard. I can realistically see KW and Ozzie going to Owens in LF leading off if we land a big fish for CF to help him out. If it were up to me, I'd like to see Willits or Freel in LF and leading off for the '08 White Sox (because I feel Crawford is an unrealistic acquisition), with Owens coming off the bench.

russ99
11-21-2007, 01:03 PM
I know we just did a deal with the Angels, but based on the free agent list for LF'ers, I wish KW would consider (he might/not have already) a trade for Reggie Willits. I don't know too much about his defense, but he has hit for high avg/OBP and has speed to contribute. Since the only place our leadoff hitter can come from is LF and 2b, I would really like to see this move made. If some type of Crede for Willits deal could be made, or a Konerko for Kotchman, Willits, and an arm or 2, i'd like to see Willits in LF leading off.

Willits
Cabrera
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Hunter
Fields
Pierzynski
Richar

The only problem is the amount of right-handed hitters we have. But I think our players would prefer to face right-handed starters/relievers then left-handed starters/relievers anyways, so that shouldn't be a big deal. Besides Willits and maybe Crawford (who's not really a leadoff hitter), there's no other LF leadoff hitters out there. Another that just came to mind is Ryan Freel. He's coming off an injury (KW's type of player to get on the cheap), but always put up solid OBP's in Cincy, obviously has great speed, and according to Rotoworld, Cincy is shopping him around hard. I can realistically see KW and Ozzie going to Owens in LF leading off if we land a big fish for CF to help him out. If it were up to me, I'd like to see Willits or Freel in LF and leading off for the '08 White Sox (because I feel Crawford is an unrealistic acquisition), with Owens coming off the bench.

Ryan Freel is awesome. He's be perfect for the Sox, but would the Reds really want to deal him??