PDA

View Full Version : Only $ 13,770 to renew my season tickets at Fenway

Fenway
11-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Sigh..tickets have been in my family since 1966.

Today the invoice came...and it is due December 21st.

These prices are insane. In 1996 they were $18 a game :whiner:

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Third_Party_Graphic/2007/11/15/1195110800_2554.gif

The Red Sox, who already have the most expensive tickets in baseball, are raising prices again, this time by 9 percent, in an effort to keep up with a familiar target: the Yankees.

A little more than two weeks after the Red Sox won their second World Series in four seasons, the team decided it needed more revenue to fund everything from Fenway Park improvements to free agents to draftees. And the Sox are determined to pass much of the expense on to the fans, some of whom might still be unpacking their bags from Cleveland and Colorado.

"It's pretty disgusting, but I'm not surprised," said Jon Freedman, who has had a pair of season tickets, loge box seats along third base, since 1987. "But you know, if I don't buy them, there are at least 1,000 people who will."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/11/15/a_pricier_home_of_champions/ (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/11/15/a_pricier_home_of_champions/)

thegooch
11-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Yikes.

MUsoxfan
11-15-2007, 02:07 PM
The price of victory and having to catch the Yankees

Paulwny
11-15-2007, 02:11 PM
But, it still appears to be the cheapest Boston sports' attraction for a family.
From your link:
According to Team Marketing Report's 2007 Fan Cost Index, which includes two average adult tickets, two average children's tickets, four small sodas, two small beers, four hot dogs, two programs, parking, and two adult caps, the Red Sox far surpassed the runner-up Yankees, $313.83 to $222.53. But while that may seem high, according to TMR, a Chicago-based sports marketing and research concern, those 2007 numbers are actually less than it would take for a family of four to see a Patriots, Celtics, or Bruins game.

Fenway
11-15-2007, 02:14 PM
But, it still appears to be the cheapest Boston sports' attraction for a family.
From your link:
According to Team Marketing Report's 2007 Fan Cost Index, which includes two average adult tickets, two average children's tickets, four small sodas, two small beers, four hot dogs, two programs, parking, and two adult caps, the Red Sox far surpassed the runner-up Yankees, $313.83 to $222.53. But while that may seem high, according to TMR, a Chicago-based sports marketing and research concern, those 2007 numbers are actually less than it would take for a family of four to see a Patriots, Celtics, or Bruins game.

Which explains why the Bruins are getting announced crowds of 10,000 ( with only 5,000 actually there )

Celtics are now a tough ticket and the Pats fugetaboutit

salty99
11-15-2007, 02:16 PM
where are your seats at?

Fenway
11-15-2007, 02:19 PM
where are your seats at?

First base line ( about halfway ) 25 rows up ( but below the posts )

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-15-2007, 02:30 PM
First base line ( about halfway ) 25 rows up ( but below the posts )

Not bad. Of course that doesn't help the price either.

Foulke You
11-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Wow, those prices are steep. Looks like I'll only be buying 1 or 2 games for my Boston trip when the White Sox visit in August/Sept of '08.:(:

chisoxmike
11-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Holy ****! And you just got the invoice now? Wow. We got ours right at the after the end of the season.

Daver
11-15-2007, 06:44 PM
I wouldn't pay ten bucks to sit anywhere in that turd.

drewcifer
11-15-2007, 07:25 PM

LOL!

I wouldn't pay to sit in turd, either.

Brian26
11-15-2007, 08:53 PM
where are your seats at?

For 13 grand, they should be on the field or in the dugout.

Aren't they talking about disallowing people from selling their tickets too?

cwsfannick
11-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Fenway, how many tickets do you have?

Chicken Dinner
11-15-2007, 10:41 PM
The price of a championship. :whiner:

IlliniSox4Life
11-16-2007, 01:21 AM
If you can resell your tickets, it is a bargain. I imagine you can make plenty of it back being good seats.

goofymsfan
11-16-2007, 06:09 AM
If you can resell your tickets, it is a bargain. I imagine you can make plenty of it back being good seats.

Isn't Boston the place that was making it nearly impossible to resell your tickets?

DumpJerry
11-16-2007, 06:41 AM
I'm thinking that now that MLB has that deal with StubHub, a single team cannot restrict the resale through StubHub. I'm sure StubHub made that a condition of the contract with MLB. The Red Sox tickets represent a huge profit potential for StubHub, probably the largest of the 30 teams.

Oblong
11-16-2007, 08:23 AM
Holy ****! And you just got the invoice now? Wow. We got ours right at the after the end of the season.

The Tigers don't send out invoices until January.

Hitmen77
11-16-2007, 09:36 AM
Only $ 13,770 to renew my season tickets at Fenway

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/11/15/a_pricier_home_of_champions/ (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/11/15/a_pricier_home_of_champions/)

Prices like this are quickly pricing average middle-class families out of being able to go to many games.

But, since the Red Sox have plenty of demand for their tickets and are almost always in the hunt for the postseason, they can probably jack up their ticket prices pretty high before they start losing ticket sales.

I bet the Red Sox are in a better position to jack up prices than even the Cubs. With the Cubs, while there is a large supply of young fools with money to spend on them, they have to keep in mind that if they raise prices too much, they risk sending families over to the Cell to watch what is often a better team for less money. The Red Sox do not have that competition and aren't going to lose any of their fan base by raising prices to ridiculous levels.

Hendu
11-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Isn't Boston the place that was making it nearly impossible to resell your tickets?

I thought that was just the Patriots.

Fenway
11-16-2007, 10:22 AM

Daver for $20 you can stand :tongue:

IlliniSox4Life
11-16-2007, 10:27 AM

That was the Patriots. I think you SHOULD be able to resell your tickets for any team in MLB considering they have an official relationship with stubhub.

itsnotrequired
11-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Fenway, how many tickets do you have?

I assume it is four.

steff
11-16-2007, 10:32 AM
For 13 grand, they should be on the field or in the dugout.

I wish.

4 seats, parking, and club passes at Comiskey in 127 is over $15K.

Fenway
11-16-2007, 10:34 AM
I assume it is four.

it is 2

81 games @ $85 x 2 = $13,770

Red Sox had the replay system last year and now are waiting for the state to rule if Stub Hub is legal in Massachusetts.

itsnotrequired
11-16-2007, 10:38 AM
it is 2

81 games @ $85 x 2 = $13,770

Red Sox had the replay system last year and now are waiting for the state to rule if Stub Hub is legal in Massachusetts.

:o:

So it took 12 years to get from $18 to $85.

Lower Box seats at Comiskey were $20 in 1996 but will probably top out at something like $55 in 2008 (something like $70 for Premier).

Fenway
11-16-2007, 10:40 AM
:o:

So it took 12 years to get from $18 to $85.

Lower Box seats at Comiskey were $20 in 1996 but will probably top out at something like $55 in 2008.

Grandstand went from $12.50 to $50 in those 12 years. It is complete insanity.

steff
11-16-2007, 10:43 AM
it is 2

Ugh... sorry for you.

Fenway
11-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Ugh... sorry for you.

This is where the long time hardcore fans are getting killed by this. Look right now it will be no problem selling tickets to any game but the day will come when the Red Sox have a bad season and then what happens?

As recently as 2002 I could not give away Tampa Bay tickets...

The sad thing is I know so many hardcore fans who simply are priced out of going to games and they simply go 40 miles to Pawtucket to see baseball.

steff
11-16-2007, 11:11 AM
This is where the long time hardcore fans are getting killed by this. Look right now it will be no problem selling tickets to any game but the day will come when the Red Sox have a bad season and then what happens?

Every year we eat the cost of tickets so I feel that pain.

spiffie
11-16-2007, 11:24 AM

The sad thing is I know so many hardcore fans who simply are priced out of going to games and they simply go 40 miles to Pawtucket to see baseball.
Do you think it really will ever come to that, or are the Red Sox like the Cubs, where unless they're in last place in September the market is always going to be there to at least get your money back? I mean, if Red Sox Nation is the all-encompassing force that you, ESPN, FOX, and the media make it out to be, how could there ever come another time when people don't want to go to beautiful Fenway Park and see their more beloved than life itself Red Sox play?

Seriously, there's no excuse, between a $175 million payroll and supposedly the biggest and most rabid fanbase in the entire world, why you should ever have to worry about that again.

voodoochile
11-16-2007, 12:12 PM
Do you think it really will ever come to that, or are the Red Sox like the Cubs, where unless they're in last place in September the market is always going to be there to at least get your money back? I mean, if Red Sox Nation is the all-encompassing force that you, ESPN, FOX, and the media make it out to be, how could there ever come another time when people don't want to go to beautiful Fenway Park and see their more beloved than life itself Red Sox play?

Seriously, there's no excuse, between a $175 million payroll and supposedly the biggest and most rabid fanbase in the entire world, why you should ever have to worry about that again.

It would probably take a long run of bad finishes - second division to reduce the hype currently surrounding the Red Sox. All of those factors you mention make the marketing of the tickets that much easier. When ESPN is doing your legwork and your team keeps making the playoffs and winning championships it drives demand through the roof. Like was said, if Fenway gives up his seats, there are 1000 people lined up to take them.

spiffie
11-16-2007, 01:28 PM
It would probably take a long run of bad finishes - second division to reduce the hype currently surrounding the Red Sox. All of those factors you mention make the marketing of the tickets that much easier. When ESPN is doing your legwork and your team keeps making the playoffs and winning championships it drives demand through the roof. Like was said, if Fenway gives up his seats, there are 1000 people lined up to take them.
If a team with those resources has a string of second division finishes, I expect that heads must roll...not in the "oh someone got fired" sense, but in the "Storm the Bastille" sense.

voodoochile
11-16-2007, 02:28 PM
If a team with those resources has a string of second division finishes, I expect that heads must roll...not in the "oh someone got fired" sense, but in the "Storm the Bastille" sense.

You are correct, it reaches a point of sustainable mass and the Red Sox have probably hit that level unless they seriously start tanking, but the BOD simply won't allow that to last very long if they have any brains in their heads at all.

Rockin Robin
11-16-2007, 03:01 PM

Hate the Red Sox all you want, but you can't honestly go to Fenway and call it a turd.

It's not Wrigley...

voodoochile
11-16-2007, 03:05 PM
Hate the Red Sox all you want, but you can't honestly go to Fenway and call it a turd.

It's not Wrigley...

No, then it would be a urinal...

steff
11-16-2007, 04:45 PM
No, then it would be a urinal...

Exactly. They are both ****holes, in my opinion.

Ziggy S
11-17-2007, 12:45 AM
Prices like this are quickly pricing average middle-class families out of being able to go to many games.

But, since the Red Sox have plenty of demand for their tickets and are almost always in the hunt for the postseason, they can probably jack up their ticket prices pretty high before they start losing ticket sales.

I bet the Red Sox are in a better position to jack up prices than even the Cubs. With the Cubs, while there is a large supply of young fools with money to spend on them, they have to keep in mind that if they raise prices too much, they risk sending families over to the Cell to watch what is often a better team for less money. The Red Sox do not have that competition and aren't going to lose any of their fan base by raising prices to ridiculous levels.

At this point the Bad Sox aka the Evil Guys could just print money with how much they take take in between gate receipts, concessions, ESPN's decade plus love affair with the team, the NESN, and other perks I can't even recall, right now. John Henry and Lucchino could probably state, "With the salaries going up and with our current commitment to success, we'll have to raise prices across the board. We'll only be charging close to $100,000 for season tickets because we want to reward our loyal fans with championship baseball year after year." and as many people that would revolt three times the disgruntled hardcores who have money to burn that can use the seats for marketting and "business trips" will line right up and say "No cost too great for me!"

pmck003
11-17-2007, 01:40 AM
I was upset with trying to get Rockies tix for the Series (due to how much time I spent on their slowww internet site), but I did consider that if the Rox sold their tickets at market value, it would be somewhat similar to ebay prices off the bat. I dunno what to make of ticket prices; do you believe that teams have a moral obligation to keep them affordable? I'd say they do in cases where the public finances the team in some way.

Grzegorz
11-17-2007, 05:04 AM

You cannot give them away? If this is true and you're on the hook for tickets regardless off your availability then that is corporate statism.

Again, if true why put up with someone else controlling your (you bought the ticket on the open market) interests?

soxfanreggie
11-17-2007, 08:19 PM
I probably would have sold half my playoff tickets to use towards that cost. One WS game with those seats probably would have paid for 20% of the ticket cost for the next year. If I had the money, I probably wouldn't do that, but but I wasn't loaded, I would definitely consider it.

Fenway
11-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Exactly. They are both ****holes, in my opinion.

Hey they have flowers in the ladies room now ( they actually installed the first ladies room on the third base side LAST YEAR )

HomeFish
11-18-2007, 01:51 PM
You cannot give them away? If this is true and you're on the hook for tickets regardless off your availability then that is corporate statism.

Again, if true why put up with someone else controlling your (you bought the ticket on the open market) interests?

I think he meant that nobody wanted to see a Red Sox vs Devil Rays game in Boston in 2002, not that there was a season ticket policy against doing so.

Fenway
11-18-2007, 02:03 PM
I think he meant that nobody wanted to see a Red Sox vs Devil Rays game in Boston in 2002, not that there was a season ticket policy against doing so.

Exactly :smile:

Tickets were only $60 then :tongue: