PDA

View Full Version : What If Game

Rockabilly
11-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Lets say

Hunter signs with Texas and Rowand signs with the Dodgers, we also lose out on Andruw Jones..

Who would KW go after to play CF

FedEx227
11-15-2007, 02:00 PM
If we lose out on Andruw Jones I'll be a much happier man.

chisoxmike
11-15-2007, 02:03 PM
I would hope we can't even say "Damn, we lost out on Andruw Jones."

eriqjaffe
11-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Lets say

Hunter signs with Texas and Rowand signs with the Dodgers, we also lose out on Andruw Jones..

Who would KW go after to play CFKW will come out of retirement and suit up.

mjmcend
11-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Lets say

My best guess would be Coco Crisp.

gogosox16
11-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Lets say

KW will make a run at trading for Coco Crisp

upperdeckusc
11-15-2007, 02:35 PM

lets go for coco crisp and their minor league SS jed lowrie. boston is so stacked, i dont even know what they'd want in return. prospects? we're already low on them. problem is, if coco plays CF, we need to sign a big name for LF. god this is confusing.......and i love it!

DumpJerry
11-15-2007, 02:41 PM
We become Red Sox fans.:tongue:

spiffie
11-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Kenny trades Garland to the Cubs straight up for Pie.

Or brings Daryl Boston out of retirement.

BeeBeeRichard
11-15-2007, 02:52 PM
"Really" Rusty Kuntz

soxfanatlanta
11-15-2007, 02:53 PM
If we lose out on Andruw Jones I'll be a much happier man.

That is not a loss by anyone's standard.

On topic: Owens it is.

Rockabilly
11-15-2007, 02:56 PM
if Coco Crisp is the huge splash that KW makes this off season its going to be a long year...

I have alot of faith that KW will make the right moves to get us back in the playoffs

Fenway
11-15-2007, 03:17 PM

Coco will not be in Boston in 2008

doublem23
11-15-2007, 03:18 PM
I say we get a few guys together to kidnap and brainwash Grady Sizemore.

I call van driver!

oeo
11-15-2007, 03:53 PM
My best guess would be Coco Crisp.

No thanks, Boston is overvaluing him.

Gammons Peter
11-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Owens in CF, Crawford in LF

PorkChopExpress
11-15-2007, 04:08 PM

Owens on second, Crawford on first and Thome hits a shallow bloop to right. Both Owens and Crawford score.:D:

jabrch
11-15-2007, 04:29 PM
In that scenario, I'd be fine with Owens and using 5/75 for something else - like either resigning Jon or holding that salary space for someone who'd be available in trade later in the season. I'd have no interest in Crisp.

Figgins might be an option if we go outside.

Tragg
11-15-2007, 04:35 PM
You trade for a CF and use the money to sign something else that isn't so price inflated. We had three areas of obvious need - we already settled for non-improvement at SS (but that's not an offensive position anyway). We need a real LF or CF, or we go young and get some real quality young talent in here.
We also need a bench.

DSpivack
11-15-2007, 04:38 PM
I say we get a few guys together to kidnap and brainwash Grady Sizemore.

I call van driver!

I dreamt last night that they traded him, straight-up, for Dontrelle Willis.

Gammons Peter
11-15-2007, 04:57 PM
In that scenario, I'd be fine with Owens and using 5/75 for something else - like either resigning Jon or holding that salary space for someone who'd be available in trade later in the season. I'd have no interest in Crisp.

Figgins might be an option if we go outside.

In my scenario, Garland has been traded for prospects, some of which were then traded away with our prospects for Crawford

Flight #24
11-15-2007, 05:43 PM
LAD need pitching. Pitching is not currently availble in FA (well, not good pitching anyway). If LAD signs Rowand, then they have Aaron, Pierre (who sucks but ain't going anywhere), and Kemp/Ethier. Sox should make a run at whichever the Dodgers want to deal using either one of their lower tier SP prospects (i.e. not Gio, Danks, DLS) or possibly in a Contreras/Furcal deal.

Then you sign a vet like Benson to compete with Gio/Russell/Sisco/etc for the #5, restock the bullpen, and roll with a lineup of Furcal(SS)-Fields(3B)-Thome(DH)-Konerko(1B)-Dye(RF)-AJ(C)-Ethier(LF)-Richar(2B)-Owens(CF). Alternately, you can still sign a Hunter and play him in CF.

That also lets you keep Crede and let him show he's healthy to increase his trade value and then use him to either further upgrade the pen or add some more youth (or if he's fully healthy and productive, you have options to resign him and trade Fields, or even trade Konerko and move one of them to 1B (you're welcome Frater).

TDog
11-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Owens on second, Crawford on first and Thome hits a shallow bloop to right. Both Owens and Crawford score.:D:

Crawford is likely to either pass Owens or miss third to kill the rally.

BadBobbyJenks
11-16-2007, 12:39 AM

Just because Bruce Levine said the rays are shopping him doesnt mean its true. Crawford is not going anywhere.

If we were to miss out on those 3 Coco is really the only option. Jerry Owens is a 4th outfielder

upperdeckusc
11-16-2007, 01:28 AM
Just because Bruce Levine said the rays are shopping him doesnt mean its true. Crawford is not going anywhere.

If we were to miss out on those 3 Coco is really the only option. Jerry Owens is a 4th outfielder

besides a better throwing arm and a bigger salary, whats the difference between them? i'd rather keep owens for LF and get a bonafide upgrade for CF.

BadBobbyJenks
11-16-2007, 01:54 AM
besides a better throwing arm and a bigger salary, whats the difference between them? i'd rather keep owens for LF and get a bonafide upgrade for CF.

The fact that he has shown he can hit major league hitting. He had an off year and all of a sudden this guy is garbage I dont get it. He hit 300 2 years ago and 297 the year before that with 15 hrs, 22 steals and 16 homers 15 steals respectively. And he plays gold glove caliber centerfield. Other than that hes the same as owens

GAsoxfan
11-16-2007, 09:30 AM
It depends what the Red Sox want in return for Crisp. If the Sox can get him for a mid-level prospect, they should do it, but if the Red Sox are asking for one of the Sox better prospects, I say roll the dice with Owens. Crisp had those two good years in Cleveland, but hasn't hit very well away from Fenway the past two seasons.

I'd rather have Owens + top prospect + $4M for the bullpen than Crisp + Owens on the bench.

Another option could be trying to sign Cameron on the cheap. Start Owens in center for the first month and then have Cameron take over.

Taliesinrk
11-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Another option could be trying to sign Cameron on the cheap. Start Owens in center for the first month and then have Cameron take over.

That's an interesting idea. Since he got in trouble, no one's really brought him up much.

soxinem1
11-16-2007, 10:46 AM
The hope is that Hunter or Rowand come via FA, as neither will cost a high draft pick. But if one of them do not work out, there are options.

Rocco Baldelli is a cheap, good option in a situation where TB is loaded with OF's. IF he stays healthy he would be a nice option, as he is a true CF, unlike Crisp.

Geoff Jenkins would also be worth a flyer in LF if that transpires. He has something to prove, is a good OF (esp. for LF) and hitter, and might fit in well here. He also would have to be healthy.

I really don't see KW trading bonified starting pitchers for OF's when there are quite a few interesting options available.

Chez
11-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Baldelli is a good player when healthy. One could make the same statement about Pods and Erstad. If I'm KW, I'm not taking any more chances with injury prone outfielders.

upperdeckusc
11-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Baldelli is a good player when healthy. One could make the same statement about Pods and Erstad. If I'm KW, I'm not taking any more chances with injury prone outfielders.

Amen.

bigfoot
11-17-2007, 10:03 PM

This is REALLY bad news. If Thome can hit a bloop into shallow RF, this means he doesn't drive the ball anymore and he's being played "straight up"!

cws05champ
11-18-2007, 09:45 AM
This is REALLY bad news. If Thome can hit a bloop into shallow RF, this means he doesn't drive the ball anymore and he's being played "straight up"!

Maybe a chopper down the 3rd base line!!!

JB98
11-19-2007, 02:46 AM

That's gospel right there. Looking at the lineup, Thome, Dye and Crede (if he comes back) are all injury risks. You can't predict injuries, of course. But whatever players we add, I'd like them to be guys who can reasonably be expected to stay healthy.

I'll be uncomfortable going into the season if our lineup contains 4-5 players who carry the caveat, "If he stays healthy....."