PDA

View Full Version : 35th st Metra stop?

mzol11
11-15-2007, 09:47 AM
Does anyone know where the Rock Island 35th st Metra stop stands? I thought they were going to start construction soon?

chisoxmike
11-15-2007, 10:38 AM
HA! I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

nug0hs
11-15-2007, 10:46 AM
I believe it is going to be constructed right on the west side of the stadium where all those freight train tracks are now, but I could be wrong. All I can tell you is that this project was budgeted in 2005 at around $4.1 million (http://www.earmarks.omb.gov/authorization_earmarks/earmark_194358.html) but thats about all I could find regarding the construction.

apwalsh
11-15-2007, 10:58 AM
If the stop is definitely going to be on the Rock Island Line, it would have to be the tracks east of the stadium. The tracks to the west with all of the freight trains are part of the Southwest Service that travels down to Orland Park.

tony1972
11-15-2007, 11:12 AM
It has been put on hold due to the funding problems of CTA/Metra...

If they do not receive additional funds the project will be scrapped altogether...

tony1972
11-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Does anyone know where the Rock Island 35th st Metra stop stands? I thought they were going to start construction soon?

The trains go pretty slow once they near downtown...

Just pull the little red knob and the door easily slides open...look for a bushy patch and then jump..(why waste another $2.00 to take the Red Line downtown if the train is just going to pass the ballpark anyway?)

WhiteSox5187
11-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Wasn't construction supposed to be completed and the stop ready for the 2008 season? Guess that ain't happening.

rdivaldi
11-15-2007, 11:48 AM
It has been put on hold due to the funding problems of CTA/Metra...

If they do not receive additional funds the project will be scrapped altogether...

Are you sure about that? First, you know that Blogo is going to keep bailing the transit authority out every time they threaten to cut routes. Secondly if you go to the 2008 Metra budget, the 35th Street station is listed as an active project. Linky (look on page 19) (http://metrarail.com/Budget/2008_PR_BudgetBook.pdf)

Hitmen77
11-15-2007, 11:48 AM
The stop was supposed to be on the east side of the ballpark on the tracks just east of the Ryan. Right now, the Rock Island line runs on those tracks and the Southwest line (to Orland) run on the tracks west of the park. However, Metra is planning to move the SW line over to the east tracks.

About a year ago, it sounded like the station was moving forward. But now, in light of current budget mess for mass transit and all the "doomsday" scenarios, I have to think that this and any other new projects are on hold indefinitely until the funding issues are sorted out.

russ99
11-15-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm a daily Metra rider and I'm very confused as to how Metra fits in with the whole RTA/CTA bailout thing.

I've seen no information stating that the planned fare increases/service cuts (along with cutting the 35th St station project) starting in January are to be eliminated if the state bails out the transit agencies. Also, this whole idea of eliminating Sunday service is ridiculous, as I'd pretty much have to eliminate visiting my south-side family if I was forced to take the CTA.

Luke
11-15-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm a daily Metra rider and I'm very confused as to how Metra fits in with the whole RTA/CTA bailout thing.

I've seen no information stating that the planned fare increases/service cuts (along with cutting the 35th St station project) starting in January are to be eliminated if the state bails out the transit agencies. Also, this whole idea of eliminating Sunday service is ridiculous, as I'd pretty much have to eliminate visiting my south-side family if I was forced to take the CTA.

RTA is the oversight agency for Metra, Pace, and CTA. There's a formula RTA uses to figure how much money each agency gets. CTA says too much money goes to the 'burbs, and vice versa.

Really, they're all underfunded, and CTA (at least in the past) has been too fat and sloppy.

They won't eliminate all Sunday service, but it will be noticeably reduced.

Also the money for a 35th St. station looks like it's coming from Federal money, which means it probably HAS to be spent on capital, and not operational cost.

roylestillman
11-15-2007, 01:39 PM
But the Federal dollars come with a match. If the State or Metra does not provide that match the project won't go forward. Trust me this station isn't as simple as it looks. Every new station must be handicapped accessible, which means elevators, which means maintenance nightmares. There isn't a sign that any work has begun at the site. Even if it started tomorrow, I can't believe it would be done before 2009 or 2010.

mrfourni
11-15-2007, 02:03 PM
At the pace they have been working on rehabing the 99th st. Metra Rock Island Stop running through Beverly, I would say that any work being done at 35th st will probably be completed sometime in the early 2020's.

I have been using the "temporary" ticket trailor for the last 3+ years.

Hitmen77
11-15-2007, 02:13 PM
But the Federal dollars come with a match. If the State or Metra does not provide that match the project won't go forward. Trust me this station isn't as simple as it looks. Every new station must be handicapped accessible, which means elevators, which means maintenance nightmares. There isn't a sign that any work has begun at the site. Even if it started tomorrow, I can't believe it would be done before 2009 or 2010.

Many Metra stops have ramps up to the platform and not elevators.

roylestillman
11-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Many Metra stops have ramps up to the platform and not elevators.

I understand (and trust me I'm all for ADA ) but this station is up on a structure some 18 feet in the air in a confined space between the frontage road of the Ryan an IIT. I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, but the station is a lot more than a platform, a staircase and a schedule change.

The other observation about the 99th St station is dead on. Its a repeat of the 111th St restoration that took years. Metra is not quick.