PDA

View Full Version : Rowand talked to KW

thomas35forever
11-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Per Comcast SportsNet. May mean something, may not, but I'd still prefer Hunter.

Sockinchisox
11-14-2007, 07:13 PM
I would hope that KW is talking with Rowand in case Hunter doesn't sign here.

Domeshot17
11-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Im hoping it went like this

"Hey Kenny, why don't I just sign for 6 mil a year for 4 years so I can play LF and Torri in CF and you can afford us both since I love winning world series here"

DickAllen72
11-14-2007, 07:20 PM

"Hey Kenny, why don't I just sign for 6 mil a year for 4 years so I can play LF and Torri in CF and you can afford us both since I love winning world series here"
I'd be happy if he said $11M per year for 4 years to play LF alongside Hunter.

FarWestChicago
11-14-2007, 07:23 PM
And they're off!!

:moonwalk:

munchman33
11-14-2007, 07:26 PM
I think it's gonna be really funny when, in the end, we wind up with Coco Crisp because we wouldn't meet anyone's asking price.

DSpivack
11-14-2007, 07:46 PM
And they're off!!

:moonwalk:

What a mighty long track this will be. Can't wait til they come down the stretch, but oh, what a wait it will be.

JB98
11-14-2007, 07:50 PM
I think it's gonna be really funny when, in the end, we wind up with Coco Crisp because we wouldn't meet anyone's asking price.

I'd be OK with Crisp in LF. But not in CF.

munchman33
11-14-2007, 07:57 PM

Of course. Jerry Owens will be in CF.

getonbckthr
11-14-2007, 08:07 PM

I would allow this.

I'd be happy if he said $11M per year for 4 years to play LF alongside Hunter.
4/44? Talk about the mother of bad contracts. Aaron Rowand is worth no more than 6-7 million a year, in this market. Any team that gives him 11+ will regret it. Not by the 4th season but half way during the 1st season.

rdwj
11-14-2007, 08:13 PM

"Funny" isn't the right word for my feelings, but I hear ya

veeter
11-14-2007, 08:38 PM
I'd rather have Owens in center than Crisp.

DumpJerry
11-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Will someone wake me on March 31st?

DickAllen72
11-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Aaron Rowand is worth no more than 6-7 million a year, in this market.
:rolleyes:

Rockabilly
11-14-2007, 09:03 PM
I know this is a dream but can it be possible that we trade Garland for top prospects than use his money to sign Rowand to play LF than sign Hunter to play CF. Our OF defense would make our pitchers alot better

cbrownson13
11-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Aaron Rowand is worth no more than 6-7 million a year, in this market.

He'll get double that. Is he worth it? No. Will he get it? Yes.

veeter
11-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Hendry would give him A-Rod money.

JB98
11-14-2007, 09:22 PM

Because he's cheaper.

For clarity, I would be fine with Crisp in LF, if we sign one of the big free agents to play CF.

Crisp AND Owens? Pass.

WhiteSox5187
11-14-2007, 09:55 PM
Here's the problem with an outfield of Rowand, Hunter and Dye, it does not address the urgent need we have to fill the bottom and the top of the order.

oeo
11-14-2007, 10:02 PM
4/44? Talk about the mother of bad contracts. Aaron Rowand is worth no more than 6-7 million a year, in this market. Any team that gives him 11+ will regret it. Not by the 4th season but half way during the 1st season.

You're full of so much ****, it's not even funny.

He'll get double that. Is he worth it? No. Will he get it? Yes.

He's worth a lot more than $6-7 million. A lot of you are willing to pay Torii Hunter $15 million a year, but $11 million is too much for Rowand (or in getonbckthr's case 6-7 million...:roflmao:)? *****...

The only thing Hunter has on Rowand is a good defensive track record. That's it...somehow that's worth an extra $4-5 million, though.

TheOldRoman
11-14-2007, 10:06 PM
I think it's gonna be really funny when, in the end, we wind up with Coco Crisp because we wouldn't meet anyone's asking price.I am glad you can predict the future. So, what will the Sox payroll be in 08, $80 million, or do you think they can get all the way down to $50 mil?

TheOldRoman
11-14-2007, 10:10 PM
Here's the problem with an outfield of Rowand, Hunter and Dye, it does not address the urgent need we have to fill the bottom and the top of the order.
It doesn't fill the top of the order, but it certainly fills the bottom. We would be removing two of our worst spots production wise and replacing them with Hunter and Rowand. Unless Ozzie tries hitting Hunter or Rowand 2, they aren't going to bat in front of Konerko, Thome, or Dye. That would put Hunter at 6, Crede at 7, AJ at 8, and Rowand at 9.
That part sounds great, but it means Richar has to lead off, and even worse, Uribe has to bat 2nd.:o:

DickAllen72
11-14-2007, 10:15 PM
I'd rather see Richar and Rowand batting first and second for the Sox than Owens and Crisp or Owens and Fields.

Richar
Rowand
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Hunter
Pierzynski
Fields
Uribe

That's much better than what they've had the past two seasons, anyway.

roadrunner
11-14-2007, 10:50 PM
I'd rather see Richar and Rowand batting first and second for the Sox than Owens and Crisp or Owens and Fields.

Richar
Rowand
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Hunter
Pierzynski
Fields
Uribe

I don't have a problem with this lineup. I do, however, question the wisdom of giving the richest contract in franchise history to a 32 year old #6 hitter who has never hit higher than .289.

WhiteSox5187
11-14-2007, 11:55 PM

Richar
Rowand
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Hunter
Pierzynski
Fields
Uribe

That's much better than what they've had the past two seasons, anyway.
Lot of pop in that lineup, not a whole lot of speed...I don't think Richar is ready to hit leadoff. That means you're going to have to deal for a second baseman or a shortstop (hoping to package Uribe into some sort of deal)...In fact, that line up, while it will produce a lot, is the anti-thesis of the kind of line up Ozzie wants.

UserNameBlank
11-15-2007, 01:37 AM
I know this is a dream but can it be possible that we trade Garland for top prospects than use his money to sign Rowand to play LF than sign Hunter to play CF. Our OF defense would make our pitchers alot better

For close to the same amount of Hunter in CF and Rowand in LF, we could theoretically sign ARod to play 3B, move Fields to LF, and start Anderson/Sweeney in CF.

Or, we could sign ARod to play SS, move Fields to 3B, use the money from dumping Crede and Uribe to KEEP Garland, start Owens in LF and leadoff, and put Anderson/Sweeney in CF and bat whoever starts there ninth.

I'm not saying those scenarios are even within the realm of possibility; I'm just trying to illustrate how dumb it would be for an organization to spend nearly $30million/season on Torii Hunter and Aaron Rowand.

eriqjaffe
11-15-2007, 08:53 AM
I think it's gonna be really funny when, in the end, we wind up with some non-roster invitee like Luis Terrero again because we wouldn't meet anyone's asking price.Fixed that for you.

JorgeFabregas
11-15-2007, 09:03 AM
My instinct is that Hunter is the better player. However, their career batting numbers are surprisingly similar. Hunter's probably the better fielder, though Rowand is certainly more than respectable in CF. Rowand is also a year or two younger. If it's Rowand at $10 million per vs. Hunter at $15 million per, I think I'd rather they go with Rowand.

wulfy
11-15-2007, 09:57 AM
My instinct is that Hunter is the better player. However, their career batting numbers are surprisingly similar. Hunter's probably the better fielder, though Rowand is certainly more than respectable in CF. Rowand is also a year or two younger. If it's Rowand at $10 million per vs. Hunter at $15 million per, I think I'd rather they go with Rowand.

Agree with that sentiment - I'd like to use that $4MM a year to help shore up the bullpen.

spiffie
11-15-2007, 10:02 AM
I'm to the point where I'd like them to resign Rowand simply to watch the anti-Rowand folks at WSI have a collective aneurysm and then have to figure out how they'll balance being White Sox fans with their deep, unabashed, total hatred of Aaron Rowand. It'll be worse than if the Sox brought in Bonds and Sosa.

Zisk77
11-15-2007, 10:20 AM

How's Rowand's sinker lately? :dunno:

spawn
11-15-2007, 10:31 AM
How's Rowand's sinker lately? :dunno:
I don't know, but I heard he's got a power changeup to rival Santana's.:D:

Sockinchisox
11-15-2007, 10:42 AM
I don't know, but I heard he's got a power changeup to rival Santana's.:D:

Isn't that an oxymoron?

rdivaldi
11-15-2007, 10:52 AM

Good lord munchman, I'm going to buy you a couple of drinks.

:prozac

RowanDye
11-15-2007, 11:35 AM
You're full of so much ****, it's not even funny.

He's worth a lot more than $6-7 million. A lot of you are willing to pay Torii Hunter $15 million a year, but $11 million is too much for Rowand (or in getonbckthr's case 6-7 million...:roflmao:)? *****...

The only thing Hunter has on Rowand is a good defensive track record. That's it...somehow that's worth an extra $4-5 million, though.

For what it's worth, David Pinto (the Baseball Musings guy) recently made some salary projections for SportingNews.com on the three big CF free agents (Hunter, Rowand, and Jones). He starts with Gary Matthews Jr.'s contract as a baseline for market value. He thinks that all three are worth around 12 mill/yr if you assume 5 yr. deals, but that Rowand is actually worth slightly more per year because he is younger. I know many of you don't like stats like VORP, so take it or leave. (link (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=305174))

The interesting thing about his projections are that these guys all have similar value. If you could sign Hunter to a 5 yr. 65 mill. contract he would be the best choice, b/c he has been the most consistent and plays solid defense. However it's likely that the contract will be bigger than that.

Rowand is younger but inconsistent. If you can get him for 5 yrs. 60 million it makes sense, but you have to be prepared for at least 3/5 of those seasons to be more like '05 than '07. How much did his offensive #'s benefit from playing in the NL?

Finally, Jones is the wildcard. He will probably cost the least, but could end up producing the most. More and more I think he would be the best choice. Buying low and selling high is the only way to make up ground. The problem is that he will likely be waiting around to see the market set by Hunter and Rowand. I wonder if he would sign something like a 3yr, 35 mill. contract?

russ99
11-15-2007, 11:40 AM

As I.

Owens at least has some upside where he could develop further. Plus, we'd have to trade assets for that excess fielder that Boston doesn't want anymore, and thus why should we assume he can take over a full-time job for a supposed pennant contender on the South Side?

Send Crisp to the Nationals - AKA the place where Ohio/Boston can't-miss but did-miss propects go to rot.

Sockinchisox
11-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Remember that CF that the Dodgers wanted that every columist thinks should be Hunter? The Dodgers think that, that CF that they need is Rowand.

Hunter and his 5-7 year demand and now LA with their funds going after Rowand.

We're doomed.

thomas35forever
11-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Rowand is younger but inconsistent. If you can get him for 5 yrs. 60 million it makes sense, but you have to be prepared for at least 3/5 of those seasons to be more like '05 than '07. How much did his offensive #'s benefit from playing in the NL?
You make a good point.

However, I don't think any of us anticipated that Paulie would have a off year like '07. We may have been overconfident while basking in the glory of our '05 championship. Let me ask this. If Paulie had re-signed with us this or last offseason, would he have been offered more than $12 million/year? I know baseball economics have changed since the '05 offseason, but I guess Rowand would get that money considering he just had a career year.

SBSoxFan
11-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Finally, Jones is the wildcard. He will probably cost the least, but could end up producing the most. More and more I think he would be the best choice. Buying low and selling high is the only way to make up ground. The problem is that he will likely be waiting around to see the market set by Hunter and Rowand. I wonder if he would sign something like a 3yr, 35 mill. contract?

I've brought this up a few times here. I think over the life of the contract Jones would, indeed, cost the least. That is because he should get a shorter contract than Hunter or Rowand based on his poor 2007 numbers. This protects the team who signs Jones in case he flops again, and it gives Jones the opportunity to look for a new payday if he rebounds. But there's no way he's taking less than $12M a year.

One big question with this, however, is who plays CF when Jones is gone in 2-3 years? What will the CF FA market be at that time? Will the Sox have developed a solid CF by then? Would you have been better off having 2-3 more additional years of a Rowand or Hunter?

kevin57
11-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Do you think Kenny will wait to see if AR's name appears anywhere in the Mitchell Report?

areilly
11-15-2007, 05:52 PM
Do you think Kenny will wait to see if AR's name appears anywhere in the Mitchell Report?

Kenny's not stupid, and I surely hope Kenny's not willfully ignorant either; if Rowand's name were to come up, I doubt it would be telling Williams anything he didn't already know.

Jjav829
11-15-2007, 07:57 PM
Per Comcast SportsNet. May mean something, may not, but I'd still prefer Hunter.

I think "may not" is probably more accurate. KW and Rowand are pretty familiar with each other. I don't think there is much to be said. We all know KW loves Aaron and that Aaron loved playing here. At this point, it's simply a matter of whether the Sox will be able to sign Hunter and what other offers Rowand gets. We'll see how the market plays out, but I don't think KW really needs to sell Rowand on much.

KyWhiSoxFan
11-15-2007, 09:38 PM
I've brought this up a few times here. I think over the life of the contract Jones would, indeed, cost the least. That is because he should get a shorter contract than Hunter or Rowand based on his poor 2007 numbers. This protects the team who signs Jones in case he flops again, and it gives Jones the opportunity to look for a new payday if he rebounds. But there's no way he's taking less than $12M a year.

One big question with this, however, is who plays CF when Jones is gone in 2-3 years? What will the CF FA market be at that time? Will the Sox have developed a solid CF by then? Would you have been better off having 2-3 more additional years of a Rowand or Hunter?

Jones is definitely coming off an off year. One buy-low/high return theory that has worked in the past is when a player moves from one league that he has been in a long time to another where the pitchers don't know him he can really bounce back and play at a previously high level. Jones's top end is a lot higher than either Hunter or Rowand. It would be a gamble to go after Jones, but it could have a much higher return if he can recapture his form of several years ago.

BadBobbyJenks
11-16-2007, 12:29 AM

Of course. Jerry Owens will be in CF.

:?: Crisp is a fantastic centerfielder.

RowanDye
11-16-2007, 09:21 AM
You make a good point.

However, I don't think any of us anticipated that Paulie would have a off year like '07. We may have been overconfident while basking in the glory of our '05 championship. Let me ask this. If Paulie had re-signed with us this or last offseason, would he have been offered more than $12 million/year? I know baseball economics have changed since the '05 offseason, but I guess Rowand would get that money considering he just had a career year.

Rowand's monster year certainly raised his value, but Hunter will likely get the bigger contract. I think this tells us that consistency is valued. Having said that though, I've heard Hunter is being offered 6 yrs. $90 M by Texas and that the Dodgers will go hard after Rowand. I'm willing to bet that one of the teams that loses out on Hunter is going to vastly overpay for Rowand's services, let's just hope it's not the White Sox.

You're probably right that Jones is going to want more. So the question is then, if Hunter and Rowand get ~$15 mill. for 5-6 years, what will Jones get and is he worth it?

I've heard a lot of Andruw Jones hate around here, but I think he was battling some injuries last year and that he will come out with something to prove this year. I would rather have him for something like 2 yrs. $29M, then Hunter or Rowand for 6 yrs. $90 M.

In three years Hunter and Rowand will more than likely be worth less than they are right now. That's the whole reason why people are reluctant to give them huge, longterm contracts.