PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Q&A on whitesox.com

chisoxmike
11-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Interesting read. Talks about radio and TV situation.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071114&content_id=2300383&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

BainesHOF
11-14-2007, 04:03 PM
The comment about hearing the crack of the bat and the roar of the crowd, but not being told what's happening is spot-on. I want to be told what is happening as it happens, not afterward.

I've written this before but I'll say it again here. My biggest complaint with the current radio team is not with Singleton, but with Farmer. He's not a play-by-play guy and, worse, he plays "big man" and tries to put Singleton in his place way too often. It's uncomfortable to listen to his act.

Also, Farmer's meandering, self-indulgent stories are tolerable early in the game and during a blowout. But they're inexcusable in the late innings of a close game. Yet, Farmer continues to tell them at inappropriate times with no apparent self awareness at the expense of the game. I tune in to listen to White Sox baseball, not the Ed Farmer Show.

spawn
11-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Farmer is horrible. Period. Singleton isn't that great, but let's be honest: how is he going to get better sitting next to Farmer? He's not.

Dibbs
11-14-2007, 04:08 PM
As long as Hawk keeps coming up with catchphrases and doesn't swear, we are OK. He's getting close with the dagummits.:rolling:

That is funny.

soxrme
11-14-2007, 04:09 PM
The comment about hearing the crack of the bat and the roar of the crowd, but not being told what's happening is spot-on. I want to be told what is happening as it happens, not afterward.

I've written this before but I'll say it again here. My biggest complaint with the current radio team is not with Singleton, but with Farmer. He's not a play-by-play guy and, worse, he plays "big man" and tries to put Singleton in his place way too often. It's uncomfortable to listen to his act.

Also, Farmer's meandering, self-indulgent stories are tolerable early in the game and during a blowout. But they're inexcusable in the late innings of a close game. Yet, Farmer continues to tell them at inappropriate times with no apparent self awareness at the expense of the game. I tune in to listen to White Sox baseball, not the Ed Farmer Show.
I agree with you totally. I am sure that sometimes he forgets there is no picture on a radio

mantis1212
11-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Farmer and Singleton are absolutely horrible, and we shouldn't have to appreciate how Singleton has gotten "better" when he still sucks.

They are so bad I barely listen to games anymore. I'd rather get score updates on my cell phone.

It also pisses me of when Brooks defers to WSCR management when asked about Steve Stone. The WHITE SOX need to tell THE SCORE what to do, not the other way around.

Lip Man 1
11-14-2007, 05:20 PM
First rate Interview. Honest questions, VERY honest answers.

As a fan I can appreciate this. I may not agree with the decision but Brooks having the guts to try to answer directly deserves serious note!

I can only imagine what the reaction will be of Farmer & Singleton when they read the e-mails Brooks has sent to them. And Brooks saying Ed was "brutal" when he started...well it's been a long time since I heard a member of a business organization use a word like that even in the context of what happened years ago.

And his specific comments about certain problems in the broadcasts themselves is also noteworthy.

Brooks appears to be a straight shooter in my opinion you have to give him props for that.

Lip

AZChiSoxFan
11-14-2007, 06:08 PM
Early in the column, the writer says "many Sox fans appreciated the duo of Singleton and Farmer." My only response to that is:

:tealpolice:

FedEx227
11-14-2007, 06:53 PM

As a fan I can appreciate this. I may not agree with the decision but Brooks having the guts to try to answer directly deserves serious note!

I can only imagine what the reaction will be of Farmer & Singleton when they read the e-mails Brooks has sent to them. And Brooks saying Ed was "brutal" when he started...well it's been a long time since I heard a member of a business organization use a word like that even in the context of what happened years ago.

And his specific comments about certain problems in the broadcasts themselves is also noteworthy.

Brooks appears to be a straight shooter in my opinion you have to give him props for that.

Lip

Gotta love it. That's one thing that's great about this organization, top to bottom they are guys that will tell you what's on their mind and give you the fan the benefit of knowing all they can tell you. We don't get any of this Lovie Smith "General Soreness" garbage.

manders_01
11-14-2007, 07:33 PM
No. 1 is teach the game. No. 2 is paint the picture for our fans. No. 3 is sell the White Sox experience.

I would have to think that most people that would listen to any baseball radio broadcast would know a great deal about the rules of the game. IMO, 1 and 2 should be flipped.

areilly
11-14-2007, 08:20 PM
I would have to think that most people that would listen to any baseball radio broadcast would know a great deal about the rules of the game. IMO, 1 and 2 should be flipped.

I think he meant more the situational and practical reasons for what's happening on the field, rather than the letter of the rulebook. Why a guy's running on 0-2, why this guy can't throw a curveball men on base, and so on.

chisoxfanatic
11-14-2007, 08:30 PM

On top of that, the radio broadcasts are NEVER the place for personal interviews of any kind. Nothing but game talk should be going on on the radio. And, while interviews are ok on TV broadcasts, it's unnecessary to show whomever is being interviewed on the TV screen when there's a game going on. We can hear them talk, let us see what's going on on the field at all times.

I'm glad that they're intending to keep Hawk until HE wants to go!

manders_01
11-14-2007, 08:45 PM
I think he meant more the situational and practical reasons for what's happening on the field, rather than the letter of the rulebook. Why a guy's running on 0-2, why this guy can't throw a curveball men on base, and so on.

That makes more sense. :smile:

wdelaney72
11-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Lip

I agree, Lip. You have to appreciate his honesty. He addressed many of the things we've kicked around here. The only thing I disagree with his assessment of Farmer as a color analyst. Nice try, Brooks, but even as a color analyst he was serviceable at best.

He certainly left the door open regarding Steve Stone, though. For a variety of reasons, I think they want to get him in the TV booth sooner or later.

johnr1note
11-15-2007, 09:12 AM

Lip

I agree, Mr. Boyer seems genuine. His personal replies to my e-mails to him have been candid, respectful, and intelligent. He obviously understands the concept of being a White Sox fan, and what that means to all of us.

One fact clarifies a lot to me -- Farmer and Singleton are employees of WSCR, not the White Sox. I was under the impression it was the other way around. I've harped on it before, but the unprofessional, "frat boy" atmosphere at WSCR is, IMHO, a major factor in the decline of Sox radio.

thedudeabides
11-15-2007, 09:58 AM

Lip

Brooks honesty is great. It sounds like he's not satisfied with the broadcast, but he's looking for growth. Another year and I think there could be a change.

I've met Ed Farmer on a bunch of occasions and I think he is the right guy for the job, but he shouldn't be the play by play guy. He has a passion for the White Sox, which I like, but there needs to be someone to keep him in line.

I like his talk about local High Schools and the personal touch, but I agree he needs to time it better.

Ziggy S
11-15-2007, 09:52 PM
I agree, Mr. Boyer seems genuine. His personal replies to my e-mails to him have been candid, respectful, and intelligent. He obviously understands the concept of being a White Sox fan, and what that means to all of us.

One fact clarifies a lot to me -- Farmer and Singleton are employees of WSCR, not the White Sox. I was under the impression it was the other way around. I've harped on it before, but the unprofessional, "frat boy" atmosphere at WSCR is, IMHO, a major factor in the decline of Sox radio.

So, that radio station pays their announcers, while the owners pay the TV guys' bills. That sounds a little weird, don't you think?

thedudeabides
11-15-2007, 11:00 PM
So, that radio station pays their announcers, while the owners pay the TV guys' bills. That sounds a little weird, don't you think?

The TV guys broadcast on several stations.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-16-2007, 07:02 PM
I agree with Brooks' concept about the importance of "continuity" in the booth. I'm glad to hear him all but call his PBP man on the carpet for coming up short, not just Singleton.

Brooks is sadly mistaken if he thinks teaming Singleton with Farmer is a way to help both improve their style. Farmer got better as a color man because he worked with a pro named John Rooney at PBP. Singleton has got a hack to learn from.

Brian26
11-16-2007, 09:12 PM
I agree with Brooks' concept about the importance of "continuity" in the booth.

It's a shame he didn't grasp that concept before they let one of the best play-by-play men in the history of the game leave over a low-ball offer.

steff
11-17-2007, 12:07 AM
It's a shame he didn't grasp that concept before they let one of the best play-by-play men in the history of the game leave over a low-ball offer.

Not only has John disputed this several times, but it's clearly stated that the Sox don't pay the radio personalities.

Brian26
11-17-2007, 12:39 AM
Not only has John disputed this several times, but it's clearly stated that the Sox don't pay the radio personalities.

Up until the switch to WSCR, the White Sox have always paid their own announcers, both on the radio and television side. You're telling me the Sox couldn't have stepped in on this issue and helped with the contract negotiations? I find is absurd that the Sox would knowingly let the radio outlet lowball their 17-year franchise announcer without stepping in. To this day, the Sox are still wishy-washy about this issue. Even in the Boyer interview, he hints that the Sox have final say over who the announcers are and that it is a mutual decision. Why, all of a sudden, does WSCR have to pay the announcers when the Sox have always done this on their own? As for John disputing it, I'm confident he would have stayed in Chicago, especially right after winning the World Series, if the Sox would have shown him some respect.

ilsox7
11-17-2007, 12:43 AM
As for John disputing it, I'm confident he would have stayed in Chicago, especially right after winning the World Series, if the Sox would have shown him some respect.

I disagree. He was headed to St. Louis no matter what.

cnw8052
11-17-2007, 12:59 AM
And when he arrived in St. Louis, most Cardinal fans didn't like him. I wonder if they do now?

Brian26
11-17-2007, 01:01 AM
And when he arrived in St. Louis, most Cardinal fans didn't like him. I wonder if they do now?

Yet Mike Shannon, who makes Ed Farmer sound like Vin Scully, is revered down there.

Steelrod
11-17-2007, 02:11 AM
In fact if I remember correctly, St. Louis was refused permission to negotiate with John 2 years earlier!

steff
11-17-2007, 07:25 AM
Up until the switch to WSCR, the White Sox have always paid their own announcers, both on the radio and television side. You're telling me the Sox couldn't have stepped in on this issue and helped with the contract negotiations? I find is absurd that the Sox would knowingly let the radio outlet lowball their 17-year franchise announcer without stepping in. To this day, the Sox are still wishy-washy about this issue. Even in the Boyer interview, he hints that the Sox have final say over who the announcers are and that it is a mutual decision. Why, all of a sudden, does WSCR have to pay the announcers when the Sox have always done this on their own? As for John disputing it, I'm confident he would have stayed in Chicago, especially right after winning the World Series, if the Sox would have shown him some respect.

I'm just telling you what John said on both Mike North and M,Y, & H himself. St. Louis was his dream job for years and he was very open about it. As for the "low-ball" offer, something that John would have had to comment on, that's what I snicker at. Anyone who has spent more than 30 seconds talking with him would clearly see that he is a level of class second to none and for him to comment on such a personal matter just sounds crazy.

kevin57
11-17-2007, 08:55 AM
I don't mind Farmer as an analyst; play-by-play doesn't suit him. Singleton is awful.

Lip Man 1
11-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Ed Sherman weighs in:

ML: Let’s talk about one of the areas you specialize in, media reporting. After 2005 John Rooney left the Sox radio booth after eighteen seasons. There was a lot of speculation about why he left, the contract issues, wondering if it was the Sox or WSCR that wouldn’t come up with the money, his desire to return to St. Louis. Can you clear anything up on his situation?

ES: “I think with John it was a lot of attraction to return to his hometown. As far as the money situation I think the White Sox were the one’s that had some issues with his salary request but I can’t say that with 100% accuracy.”

ML: Chris Singleton was hired basically to replace John with Ed Farmer sliding over to do play by play. Singleton had very limited media experience and there are a number of fans who post at White Sox Interactive that he and Farmer simply can’t be listened to. Those fans feel they are that bad. What can you tell us about how Singleton got the job?

ES: “I was surprised when I heard it was going to Singleton, everything I heard said it was going to be Tommy John. I think the Sox wanted a fresh face.”

ML: Who made the decision to hire Chris, WSCR radio or the White Sox?

ES: “I think it was a collaborative effort with the White Sox having more influence in the decision.”

ML: Steve Stone is a name tossed out a lot by fans concerning the possibility of him joining the Sox broadcast team in the future. Singleton’s deal is up after the season. Could Stone be a replacement? Or is his situation in the wake of what happened with the Cubs and his honesty in calling a game ‘red flags’ to the Sox organization?

ES: “There’s a possibility although he won’t come cheap. Considering the way the season has gone hiring Stone would be a real off season publicity boost.”

“Concerning his situation with the Cubs, I think that was something that Dusty Baker let get out of control. And I’ve never considered Steve at any time a ‘ripper’ like some other members of the media. He’s just calling the game and adding insight.”

Lip

ilsox7
11-17-2007, 01:57 PM
I'm just telling you what John said on both Mike North and M,Y, & H himself. St. Louis was his dream job for years and he was very open about it. As for the "low-ball" offer, something that John would have had to comment on, that's what I snicker at. Anyone who has spent more than 30 seconds talking with him would clearly see that he is a level of class second to none and for him to comment on such a personal matter just sounds crazy.

I agree. I talked to him for about 10-15 minutes in a bar one night in 2006. All of this rings true.