PDA

View Full Version : Managers of the Year

manders_01
11-14-2007, 02:05 PM
AL = Eric Wedge
NL = Bob Melvin

manders_01
11-14-2007, 02:06 PM
I'm sorry, I realize I have Rockies bias, but come on!

munchman33
11-14-2007, 02:13 PM
It was a toss up. The Snakes did win that division.

FedEx227
11-14-2007, 02:16 PM

Yeah you guys didn't win ****. That's awful.

I think it was a bit even here though, Melvin did win a division with basically a AAA team (age wise).

ode to veeck
11-14-2007, 02:18 PM
It was a toss up. The Snakes did win that division.

And they did it with one of the weakest hitting lineups ever, with plenty of fairly green players, putting a lot of credence in crediting the coaching staff. The Rockies just got red hot for a few weeks in late Sept and early Oct, until they ran into the Red Sox.

thedudeabides
11-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Yeah you guys didn't win ****. That's awful.

I think it was a bit even here though, Melvin did win a division with basically a AAA team (age wise).

And the best record in the NL.

ode to veeck
11-14-2007, 02:20 PM
The Toons won in a fairly tough division, and tied the Red Sox for the best record in MLB while the DBacks had the best record in the NL with a surprizing roster.

spawn
11-14-2007, 02:21 PM
Arizona won arguably the toughest division in the NL. Colorado had a good last month to the season to get into the playoffs. Melvin deserved it IMO.

manders_01
11-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Before it just seems that I wanted Clint to win because I'm a Rockies fan, these reasons are why I think he should have won:

- Since taking over in 02, the Rockies have never finished better than 4th in the NL West (while the D-backs were 4th last year and 2nd in Melvin's first year).
- Like the D-Backs, the starters consisted of many players with little to no ML experience.
- Prior to voting being complete, they had won 14 or their last 15 (including the play-in game as that was regular season). That streak not only kept them in the play-off hunt, but with the Brewers help, allowed them to get into the postseason.

What really bums me out...my realization that Matty seems to be quite the longshot for MVP.

chisoxmike
11-14-2007, 03:27 PM
They may have voted before the Rockies went on their run or just started their run.

Isn't voting done in the middle of September?

D. TODD
11-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Come on the D'backs won the division not the Rockies. That seems like a no brainer between the two to me. It's not like the D'backs were a loaded team either.

I think Wedge is a good choice in the A.L. as well.

PKalltheway
11-14-2007, 04:06 PM
The voting was probably submitted before the Rockies got on their tear, so that's probably why Melvin won. It's not a bad choice at all; they had the best record in the NL, and their team was REALLY young. Teams that are that young usually don't make the playoffs, let alone have the best record in the NL.

manders_01
11-14-2007, 06:49 PM
They may have voted before the Rockies went on their run or just started their run.

Isn't voting done in the middle of September?

According to one of the articles I read earlier in the week on the ROY voting, they voting was still open during the play-in game.

soxwon
11-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Good- No Pinella.
Sun times had a big article on him winning a third manage of year award.
Melvin deserved it.

munchman33
11-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Before it just seems that I wanted Clint to win because I'm a Rockies fan, these reasons are why I think he should have won:

- Since taking over in 02, the Rockies have never finished better than 4th in the NL West (while the D-backs were 4th last year and 2nd in Melvin's first year).
- Like the D-Backs, the starters consisted of many players with little to no ML experience.
- Prior to voting being complete, they had won 14 or their last 15 (including the play-in game as that was regular season). That streak not only kept them in the play-off hunt, but with the Brewers help, allowed them to get into the postseason.

What really bums me out...my realization that Matty seems to be quite the longshot for MVP.

Even after watching the playoffs in full, I'd chose Melvin as the MOTY. His team was so incredibly young, dealt with a midseason loss of Randy Johnson and a late season loss of their starting second baseman, had the best record in the league, and only outscored their oppponents by 20 runs. That's a lot of good managing.

While what Rockies did was incredible, this was hands down Melvin's award all the way.