PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox/As will open 2008 in Japan.

Sockinchisox
11-14-2007, 09:32 AM
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071114&content_id=2300048&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

March 25-26.

Trav
11-14-2007, 12:32 PM
This is great. I just made a sarcastic comment about this last weekend and it is actually happening. haha

anewman35
11-14-2007, 04:36 PM
This is great. I just made a sarcastic comment about this last weekend and it is actually happening. haha

Uh, I don't know what your sarcastic comment was, but this has been tentatively planned for months, so it's not like it was just because they won the World Series or anything.

Trav
11-15-2007, 02:51 AM
Uh, I don't know what your sarcastic comment was, but this has been tentatively planned for months, so it's not like it was just because they won the World Series or anything.

It doesn't have to do with the BoSox winning the series. It was having the season opener in another country. It is en vogue right now and even though I had no idea it was being planned, I figured there was a good chance of it happening.

It would be pretty cool if the season opener was at the discretion of the reigning champion though.

skottyj242
11-15-2007, 10:53 AM
Let's Go Oakland! clap clap clap clap clap

spiffie
11-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Let's Go Oakland! clap clap clap clap clap
I'm pretty sure rooting for the A's is a bannable offense. It might even cause West to pop out from your computer and slap the taste out of your mouth.

Fenway
11-15-2007, 02:24 PM
The ironic thing is Dice-K will more than likely miss it as his second child will be born in the US of A.

Expectant Matsuzaka may have to miss Tokyo trip (http://www.boston.com/sports/other_sports/running/articles/2007/11/14/expectant_matsuzaka_may_have_to_miss_bostons_tokyo _trip)

Lucky me tho, I get to go :?:

A lot of fans are really upset as it destroys spring training for many

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/11/15/not_a_banner_day_for_fans/?page=full

Did we mention how Red Sox fans get short-changed?
There are many couples and families in Red Sox Nation who plan their vacations based on spring training. There will be almost two weeks worth of games taken away.

Any spring training, but especially one after a World Series championship, is hugely important to Red Sox fans. Some of the wealthier ones might book trips to Tokyo during that time, but spring training is meant to be in Florida for the full six weeks. This trip will disrupt everyone. And it will hurt tourism in Fort Myers.

So now you can't watch the Red Sox in Fort Myers after March 19, and when you get back to Boston, you can pay 9 percent more for your tickets. Terrific day, huh?

Oblong
11-15-2007, 02:31 PM
There are many couples and families in Red Sox Nation who plan their vacations based on spring training. There will be almost two weeks worth of games taken away.

:rolling::violin:

Take solace in your 2007 WS Hats or T Shirts or DVD's.

hi im skot
11-15-2007, 02:47 PM
:rolling::violin:

Take solace in your 2007 WS Hats or T Shirts or DVD's.

Seconded. Cry me a ****ing river.

chaerulez
11-15-2007, 04:56 PM
The ironic thing is Dice-K will more than likely miss it as his second child will be born in the US of A.

Expectant Matsuzaka may have to miss Tokyo trip (http://www.boston.com/sports/other_sports/running/articles/2007/11/14/expectant_matsuzaka_may_have_to_miss_bostons_tokyo _trip)

Lucky me tho, I get to go :?:

A lot of fans are really upset as it destroys spring training for many

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/11/15/not_a_banner_day_for_fans/?page=full

Any spring training, but especially one after a World Series championship, is hugely important to Red Sox fans. Some of the wealthier ones might book trips to Tokyo during that time, but spring training is meant to be in Florida for the full six weeks. This trip will disrupt everyone. And it will hurt tourism in Fort Myers.

So now you can't watch the Red Sox in Fort Myers after March 19, and when you get back to Boston, you can pay 9 percent more for your tickets. Terrific day, huh?

Those poor fans. I feel so bad for them.

Seriously, what a joke, so miss some weeks at Fort Myers? These fans should be lucky they have the luxury in the first place to take weeks off work and watch a baseball team practice.

chisoxfanatic
11-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Why should Oakland lose two home games? Is it that Japan's closer to them than Boston, so they're calling Japan "Oakland Far West"? They should've taken a home game away from each team to be completely fair.

anewman35
11-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Why should Oakland lose two home games? Is it that Japan's closer to them than Boston, so they're calling Japan "Oakland Far West"? They should've taken a home game away from each team to be completely fair.

I'm sure it's nothing they're being forced to do. They'll probably make more money off this than they would at home. They'd never take games away from Fenway, there might be riots.

DumpJerry
11-15-2007, 05:44 PM

Excuse me. Are you referring to Spring Training in 2005 and 1919? Hardly a tradition.

Those poor fans. I feel so bad for them.

Seriously, what a joke, so miss some weeks at Fort Myers? These fans should be lucky they have the luxury in the first place to take weeks off work and watch a baseball team practice.
Who said they have jobs in the first place? The way they travel with the team, I'm convinced they are all trust fund babies.

Fenway
11-16-2007, 10:38 AM
MLB had to pay the City of Ft Myers $1,000,000 to let the Red Sox go early.

Oakland happily gave up the 2 home games because they are getting twice what a sellout in Oakland would generate.

chaerulez
11-16-2007, 11:50 AM
Excuse me. Are you referring to Spring Training in 2005 and 1919? Hardly a tradition.

Who said they have jobs in the first place? The way they travel with the team, I'm convinced they are all trust fund babies.

Good point.

It just seems so petty for a fanbase to whine about something like this.

mrfourni
11-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Good point.

I think we're slowly learning that Bostonians will whine about anything. I know a lot of Cub fans probably plan vacation around spring training and they didn't complain about this same thing in 2000

skottyj242
11-16-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm keeping my mouth shut:

http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=85014&rendTypeId=4

FarWestChicago
11-16-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm keeping my mouth shut:

http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=85014&rendTypeId=4I loved those guys. Absolute speed merchants. :thumbsup:

Fenway
11-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Good point.

Fanbase isn't whining..it is the writers for the most part.