PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Offer Rivera 3yrs, $45 Million

Foulke You
11-14-2007, 12:45 AM
WOW! $15 million per year for a closer. He is arguably one of the best ever but $45 million over 3 yrs? Looks like they are spending those A-Rod savings. :o:

I think this can end the fantasy dream of Rivera setting up Jenks in '08.:rolleyes:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3108883

drewcifer
11-14-2007, 07:28 AM
Wow, talk about not being able to let go...

Paulwny
11-14-2007, 09:12 AM
I guess the yanks are giving Rivera the respect he so dearly craves.

palehozenychicty
11-14-2007, 09:24 AM
It's a bit, even for Rivera, but without him, the Yankees win 69 games next year. You have to do it if you're the pinstripes.

kjhanson
11-14-2007, 10:50 AM
This would be one of the worst contracts in sports history. $15mm a year for someone who retired 214 batters last year? That would be just over $70,000/out over the course of a season. He's coming off his worst season in 11 years and will be 38 at the beginning of next year. He only had 30 saves last year.

SBSoxFan
11-14-2007, 11:00 AM
It's a bit, even for Rivera, but without him, the Yankees win 69 games next year. You have to do it if you're the pinstripes.

Couldn't Chamberlin close?

drewcifer
11-14-2007, 11:01 AM
Couldn't Chamberlin close?

They're moving him to the SP rotation.

SBSoxFan
11-14-2007, 11:09 AM
They're moving him to the SP rotation.

Oh.

D. TODD
11-14-2007, 11:22 AM
I guess the yanks are giving Rivera the respect he so dearly craves.
Wow, the pricetag seems like overkill for this stage of his career, but I agree it seems like this is also for services rendered.

TDog
11-14-2007, 11:37 AM

No. If you're the Yankees, you can do it because you have the resources to overspend and overspend some more to make up for your mistakes. They apparently don't see any closer options out there, but the Yankees should know from experience that the best bullpens are never the best paid bullpen.

Without Rivera last year, the Yankees still would have won the wild card. Rivera saved games, but Ryan Dempster, Todd Jones and Joe Borowski saved games. Two of them saved more games than Rivera, and Dempster came close to matching Rivera. Paying any reliever $15 million a year is overpaying, and, unfortunately, will be noted when Bobby Jenks becomes arbitration eligible.

WhiteSox5187
11-14-2007, 12:40 PM
No. If you're the Yankees, you can do it because you have the resources to overspend and overspend some more to make up for your mistakes. They apparently don't see any closer options out there, but the Yankees should know from experience that the best bullpens are never the best paid bullpen.

Without Rivera last year, the Yankees still would have won the wild card. Rivera saved games, but Ryan Dempster, Todd Jones and Joe Borowski saved games. Two of them saved more games than Rivera, and Dempster came close to matching Rivera. Paying any reliever $15 million a year is overpaying, and, unfortunately, will be noted when Bobby Jenks becomes arbitration eligible.
Well, as mentioned earlier I think this is also for his previous service, not for his performance in 2007. And I'm sure the Sox will take note of that if Jenks asks for that kind of money.

palehozenychicty
11-14-2007, 01:32 PM

I'm really not too sure about that. You have to step aside from the stats and understand the value of Mariano to the pinstripes goes beyond those measurements a.ka. Buehrle to the Sox. He is a respected gentleman here in New York and has shut the door down with one pitch for over a decade. I do think they overpayed, but I doubt that any of those three relievers would be good enough to save them towards the Wild Card.

PKalltheway
11-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Wow. And I thought that B.J. Ryan was getting overpaid by the Jays...

I guess if you're the Yankees, you can do this type of thing.

Paulwny
11-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Rivera wants a 4 yr deal.
From Fox Sports:

Rivera, sources say, believes he deserves the same length of contract as Yankees catcher Jorge Posada, who is on the verge of re-signing for $52.4 million over four years, and Mets closer Billy Wagner, who received $43 million over four years after the 2005 season.

drewcifer
11-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Rivera wants a 4 yr deal.
From Fox Sports:

Rivera, sources say, believes he deserves the same length of contract as Yankees catcher Jorge Posada, who is on the verge of re-signing for $52.4 million over four years, and Mets closer Billy Wagner, who received $43 million over four years after the 2005 season.

Good Lord. They're going to be at almost $80M for a SS, a 3B, a C, and an RP. And not a one of them under 32.