PDA

View Full Version : Do the Sox go after these guys? Why or why not?

WhiteSoxFan84
11-14-2007, 12:10 AM
I wanted to name a list of free agents and ask you guys for your opinions of whether you think the Sox will and/or should go after them and why or why not?

LaTroy Hawkins
Francisco Cordero
Scott Linebrink
Eric Gagne
Jose Guillen
Geoff Jenkins
Shannon Stewart
Luis Castillio
Milton Bradley
Kaz Matsui
Pedro Feliz
Brad Wilkerson
and just for kicks, Corey Patterson

Comment on one, a few, or all if you'd like.

Lorenzo Barcelo
11-14-2007, 12:12 AM
Does anyone know if Peter Happy can play 1b? Wouldn't mind him has a backup there, but I think he believes hes still a starter.

SoxSpeed22
11-14-2007, 12:15 AM
Someone will sign Cordero to top dollars depending on if Rivera accepts the Yankees offer. Other than that, I would hope that the Sox sign or invite to camp, one of those other relievers mentioned.
And WTS?

MrKinsella
11-14-2007, 01:42 AM
I've been thinking about Milton Bradley in left for a while now. Wouldn't that signing be eerily similar to the Crazy Carl signing a few years ago. Love his talent, but obviously a head case. Just a thought.

Domeshot17
11-14-2007, 01:59 AM
LaTroy Hawkins- No- Sucks in the clutch
Francisco Cordero- No won't go somewhere to not close, I expect him to get 9 mil a year too

Scott Linebrink- We will look at him very hard

Eric Gagne- If he is willing to set up, he could be a great pick up, his problem in boston was ALL pitch selection and location, but velo and movement ALL THERE

Jose Guillen- No because if we get Arow/Hunter in CF we NEED a LF lead off
Geoff Jenkins- No same as Guillen
Shannon Stewart- possibly as a plan D or plan F
Luis Castillio- YES if he is willing to be a bench player and tutor Richar!
Milton Bradley-No same as Guillen/Jenkins
Kaz Matsui-No he is freakin terrible outside of coors hit .240 Im not drinkin his kool-aid
Pedro Feliz-YES same as Castillo, willing to platoon/super sub, tutor Richar
Brad Wilkerson-This is a real buy low guy, he has the speed to lead off and has a real high ceiling, just struggled mightily in Texas, could be a GREAT find
Corey Patterson- Nope, I think he pretty much hates all of Illinois

Gammons Peter
11-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Does anyone know if Peter Happy can play 1b? Wouldn't mind him has a backup there, but I think he believes hes still a starter.

who the hell is that?

veeter
11-14-2007, 10:22 AM
:dunno:

D. TODD
11-14-2007, 10:31 AM
I've heard Patterson looks close to going to the Nationals (good luck, no interest), all of the others seem to be open. Linebrink and maybe Hawkins depending on price may be of interest. Believe it or not LaTroy may be the tougher get of the two. He did well for the Rockies and they will try to re-sign him. Both may be overpriced for their questionable effectiveness. Linebrink really fell off last year, but was a stud previously.

Huisj
11-14-2007, 11:21 AM
who the hell is that?

peter happy=
pedro feliz

FarmerAndy
11-14-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm actually suprised that there has been no talk of Luis Castillo.

2B is a need. I'm not convinced that Richar is yet a full-time answer if you want to win in '08. Castillo consistently bats around .300 with a good OBP, and will swipe around 20-25 bases.

He seems like a good fit. Fills two needs - 2B, and a leadoff or No. 2 hitter.

I feel like I must be missing something, because I haven't heard anything about him this off season, even outside the White Sox.

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-14-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm actually suprised that there has been no talk of Luis Castillo.

2B is a need. I'm not convinced that Richar is yet a full-time answer if you want to win in '08. Castillo consistently bats around .300 with a good OBP, and will swipe around 20-25 bases.

He seems like a good fit. Fills two needs - 2B, and a leadoff or No. 2 hitter.

I feel like I must be missing something, because I haven't heard anything about him this off season, even outside the White Sox.

I completely agree- this guy would be an excellent fit on the 2b. He's a proven veteran, playing with highly competitive teams in his past, can ground his position, and can get those little hits. I swear, if it was anyone who got more "ducksnorts" and "duckfarts" in their career, it would have to be Castillo.

He still has the speed to be a wiz on the basepaths, something that the sox have seemed to struggle with over the years.

I really don't want to see Richar as a starting 2b come April 2008, but a backup.

chaerulez
11-14-2007, 12:19 PM
LaTroy Hawkins - I'd rather not see him in a Sox uniform
Francisco Cordero - Yes, but he isn't coming here
Scott Linebrink - Yes
Eric Gagne - I'll pass
Jose Guillen - I'd rather not
Geoff Jenkins - No
Shannon Stewart - If we can get him for cheap
Luis Castillio - Wouldn't mind, but are we giving up on Richar?
Milton Bradley - Might be crazy, but is a good player, so yes
Kaz Matsui - Pass
Pedro Feliz - Pass, his career OBP is under .300, I'd rather have Erstad
Brad Wilkerson - Maybe as a last resort
and just for kicks, Corey Patterson - Not unless he wants to be a 5th OF for defensive/pinch runner purposes, he's never posted a OPS+ over 100 when he's played a full season... the guy is the definition of offensive liability

soxinem1
11-14-2007, 01:39 PM
I wanted to name a list of free agents and ask you guys for your opinions of whether you think the Sox will and/or should go after them and why or why not?

LaTroy Hawkins
Francisco Cordero
Scott Linebrink
Eric Gagne
Jose Guillen
Geoff Jenkins
Shannon Stewart
Luis Castillio
Milton Bradley
Kaz Matsui
Pedro Feliz
Brad Wilkerson

A few would definitely be a step up, but I'd also add Shawn Chacon to the list. I think he would be a good pickup.

upperdeckusc
11-18-2007, 07:57 PM
I completely agree- this guy would be an excellent fit on the 2b. He's a proven veteran, playing with highly competitive teams in his past, can ground his position, and can get those little hits. I swear, if it was anyone who got more "ducksnorts" and "duckfarts" in their career, it would have to be Castillo.

He still has the speed to be a wiz on the basepaths, something that the sox have seemed to struggle with over the years.

I really don't want to see Richar as a starting 2b come April 2008, but a backup.

this would be just like starting the '07 season with anderson on the bench..........pointless and counterproductive for the young player. i honestly wouldnt mind giving a look at castillo and 2b and richar battle with uribe for the starting SS position. richar has played SS in the minors, and anything to challenge uribe might help him in the long run as well. i agree, castillo as our leadoff guy does look tempting.

upperdeckusc
11-18-2007, 07:59 PM

LaTroy Hawkins
Francisco Cordero
Scott Linebrink
Eric Gagne
Jose Guillen
Geoff Jenkins
Shannon Stewart
Luis Castillio
Milton Bradley
Kaz Matsui
Pedro Feliz
Brad Wilkerson

another couple guys i'd add to the list for the bullpen to take a look at would be:

jeremey affeldt
mike timlin
joe kennedy

California Sox
11-18-2007, 08:19 PM
LaTroy Hawkins - Not for the $$$
Francisco Cordero - He's no Jenks and he's going to command huge money.
Scott Linebrink - I think KW is after him. I'm not convinced he still has anything left but middlemen vary so much from year to year. Who knows?
Eric Gagne - Ow, my elbow hurts just thinking about it. Plus, what's French for "steroids"?
Jose Guillen - Waaay too much of a head case
Geoff Jenkins - Uh, he's terrible.
Shannon Stewart - I'd be all over him for first base coach. He's like 30 and his legs are like 80.
Luis Castillio - Not a fan.
Milton Bradley - I wonder if Ron Artest can swing the bat.
Kaz Matsui - Speaking of Japanese second basemen... I'd rather have Iguchi back.
Pedro Feliz - Great fielding 3b with low OBP. Sort of like Crede only not as good. I'd keep Fields at 3B.
Brad Wilkerson - He's a hell of a guy with some skills. Just needs to cut the Ks and stay healthy. Maybe take a flier if he's cheap as a SuperGload.
Corey Patterson - I just know Greg Walker can turn him around. Pass.

PalehosePlanet
11-18-2007, 08:43 PM
There are rumblings that Linebrink will be given a chance to close games in Houston. I'm sure he'd love to finally have a shot after 5 years of being a setup man. However, if he indeed does stay at setup, and the price isn't to crazy (5M per or so) I'd welcome his presence in our pen.

As far as Milton Bradley goes, didn't he blow out his ACL in September?

Actually, if we fail to land a CF, Jose Guillen wouldn't be a bad choice for some good pop and pretty high avg. in LF (or RF and move JD to LF.) Also, he has a great arm which would give us great arms at the corners. Of course, the drawback is his past attitude problems and potential suspension.

Grzegorz
11-18-2007, 09:00 PM

Any truth to the rumor that he was a bad influence on Reyes? If so, wouldn't any pursuit of Castillo be hypocritical of management because of their desire for team guys?

RichH55
11-19-2007, 12:38 PM
Put me on the Wilkerson bandwagon...can play multiple positions, albeit never as a great defender....Walks a ton and hopefully if that shoulder is ok, can hit for good power too

Should come decently cheap too (although it's likely to be a one year deal)

roadrunner
11-19-2007, 03:16 PM
shannon stewart, linebrink

rowand33
11-19-2007, 04:32 PM
as I was last offseason, I'm very pro Shannon Stewart. I like the sound of this lineup:

Stewart LF
Cabrera SS
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
Torii CF
Fields 3B
AJ C
Richar 2B

I'd also like to see Joe Kennedy in the bullpen.

PalehosePlanet
11-19-2007, 04:36 PM
as I was last offseason, I'm very pro Shannon Stewart. I like the sound of this lineup:

Stewart LF
Cabrera SS
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
Torii CF
Fields 3B
AJ C
Richar 2B

I'd also like to see Joe Kennedy in the bullpen.

Wouldn't Stewart be another Erstad-like signing? It seems that he is always hurt. I know he's had the plantar fascitis problem off and on for 3 years now.

I like him when healthy but he's too much of a Pods/Erstad type reliability wise.

We've had enough Land Rovers in the OF the last couple of years, let's get a Toyota.

rowand33
11-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Wouldn't Stewart be another Erstad-like signing? It seems that he is always hurt. I know he's had the plantar fascitis problem off and on for 3 years now.

I like him when healthy but he's too much of a Pods/Erstad type reliability wise.

We've had enough Land Rovers in the OF the last couple of years, let's get a Toyota.

in a way, yes. This difference is Stewart was productive and healthy last year, unlike Erstad.

He also has multiple quality seasons under his belt.