PDA

View Full Version : Who will be our 2008 CF?

thomas35forever
11-13-2007, 05:52 PM
I say Kenny gets the Hunter deal done.

AWhiteSoxinNJ
11-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Hunter.

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Hunter, hopefully.

oeo
11-13-2007, 06:08 PM
As for the Hall choice, I believe the Sox were planning on moving him back to SS if they acquired him. Since they brought Uribe back, that looks unlikely.

DumpJerry
11-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Lance Johnson

chisoxmike
11-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Chris Singleton will provide color on the radio while patrolling center field.

soxfan26
11-13-2007, 06:28 PM
Lance Johnson

:bandance::supernana::bandance:

For better or worse, I think Kenny signs T. Hunter

oeo
11-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Chris Singleton will provide color on the radio while patrolling center field.

It'll be like Tony Siragusa. :whiner:

Daver
11-13-2007, 06:52 PM
McKay Christenson will beat out Mario Valenzuela in spring training.

Frater Perdurabo
11-13-2007, 07:59 PM
Shawn Abner

AJ Hellraiser
11-13-2007, 08:04 PM
I still want no part of Torii... don't buy into a guy who puts up far and away his best numbers in his contract year...

I also don't want to be paying him $15 million when he is 37 and 38 years old...

How exactly does he solve our leadoff hitter/speed issues? I am not saying Rowand does, but at least he brings the clubhouse factor we all know the team has missed since his departure....

Ideally though, put together a trade and get Crawford in LF and just keep Owens in CF

Daver
11-13-2007, 08:06 PM
I still want no part of Torii... don't buy into a guy who puts up far and away his best numbers in his contract year...

I also don't want to be paying him $15 million when he is 37 and 38 years old...

How exactly does he solve our leadoff hitter/speed issues? I am not saying Rowand does, but at least he brings the clubhouse factor we all know the team has missed since his departure....

Ideally though, put together a trade and get Crawford in LF and just keep Owens in CF

Owens is not a center fielder.

getonbckthr
11-13-2007, 08:11 PM
Andruw Jones?????
My pick however is Cory Snyder

Lip Man 1
11-13-2007, 08:29 PM
It's CORY Snyder by the way...and he was usually a right fielder.

Lip

getonbckthr
11-13-2007, 08:34 PM
It's CORY Snyder by the way...and he was usually a right fielder.

Lip
I just remember a game when I was a kid he was playing CF at Comiskey he went like 3-3 with a homer and then pulled a Torii Hunter bringing back a game winning homer.

Hitmen77
11-13-2007, 08:39 PM
I'm going to guess that Texas outbids us for Hunter and that we sign Rowand.

WhiteSox5187
11-13-2007, 08:46 PM
It's either Rowand or Hunter...either one would be fine with me!

thezeker
11-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Garland for Crisp & a top prospect. Crisp comes back to the AL Central, returns to his old form, and sparks the team, much like Posednik in 2005. Against all odds the White Sox return to the Promised Land!!!!

getonbckthr
11-13-2007, 08:51 PM
As long as it isn't Rowand.

Rockabilly
11-13-2007, 09:09 PM
I like to see KW sign Hunter than make a trade for Crisp who would play LF, Our OF defense would be so amazing and we would have our leadoff hitter

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-13-2007, 09:19 PM
I would not be happy if I saw Owens in Center next year....

I don't know about you, but I'd pick Rowand over JO in center any day.

getonbckthr
11-13-2007, 09:23 PM
I would not be happy if I saw Owens in Center next year....

I don't know about you, but I'd pick Rowand over JO in center any day.
Aaron Rowand playing CF for the White Sox in 2008 and beyond is bad news for the organization.

WhiteSox5187
11-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Aaron Rowand playing CF for the White Sox in 2008 and beyond is bad news for the organization.
Yes because it's been proven we can't win with him in CF...I really think all the hate for Rowand is just a reaction to all the love for him. Face it, he's not a bad CF. Is he an all-star? No. But he's a CF who gives you solid D (don't give me those bad jumps crap, he doesn't do that every ****ing game, and when he has a bad jump he recovers), great club house guy, and will hit about .270 with 15 HRs...he's not Joe Dimaggio but he's a solid CF.

AJ Hellraiser
11-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Somebody please explain to me what Coco Crisp brings to the table that you'd rather give up pieces to get him rather than play Owens in LF?

He is 2 years removed from his 1---I'll repeat that-- 1 good MLB season...

I just can't understand what he brings to the table that a younger in-house guy doesnt.. Owens is probably even faster...

GoSox2K3
11-13-2007, 10:21 PM

Yes, please anyone but Rowand. We're much better off with Jerry Owens or Coco Crisp as our starting CF.:rolleyes:

spiffie
11-13-2007, 10:22 PM
You can't win in the major leagues with a guy the caliber of Aaron Rowand in CF. It's just a proven fact.

soxfanreggie
11-13-2007, 10:32 PM
I'd be ecstatic with Torii or Aaron, but pretty much anything would be an upgrade over last year.

santo=dorf
11-13-2007, 10:57 PM
OMG! Look who's the only one to vote for Bill Hall!:rolleyes:

AJ Hellraiser
11-14-2007, 01:17 AM
Keith Law's take on Hunter:

Hunter has the cleanest record of all the center fielders on the market, with a remarkably consistent record of offensive performance and durability. Hunter's reputation exceeds his game in a few ways. He's best-known for robbing hitters of home runs but otherwise is an average center fielder both in range and arm. At the plate, he's a fastball hitter with above-average power but poor patience and a weakness against average or better off-speed stuff. He's got slightly above-average speed, but it doesn't translate into base-stealing value.

At 32, Hunter probably has three to four years left in him in center field, but given his trouble getting on base, his value in a corner will be limited. That said, he's almost a lock to get five years based on the contracts given to Gary Matthews Jr. and Juan Pierre, two inferior players, last winter.

Grzegorz
11-14-2007, 04:35 AM
I have no dog in this fight but...

Why? He hasn't even had an at bat. Are you assuming that he's going to flop in 2008?

Frater Perdurabo
11-14-2007, 06:08 AM
I realize that I will be flamed for writing this, but if I had a deeppink scenario, it would be this:

Brian Anderson comes flying out of the gate in spring training and wins the CF job based on his performance, and then goes on to hit .300 with 30 homers, 30 doubles and 20 steals, and wins a Gold Glove.

Why? Because it would mean that the Sox filled the need internally and would have been able to invest payroll elsewhere.

Flame away, haters. :rolleyes:

soxfanatlanta
11-14-2007, 07:12 AM
I realize that I will be flamed for writing this, but if I had a deeppink scenario, it would be this:

Brian Anderson comes flying out of the gate in spring training and wins the CF job based on his performance, and then goes on to hit .300 with 30 homers, 30 doubles and 20 steals, and wins a Gold Glove.

Why? Because it would mean that the Sox filled the need internally and would have been able to invest payroll elsewhere.

I'll have what you're drinking :tongue:

With all the spots we need to fill in the pen, I'm guessing KW gives lip service to Hunter/Rowand/Pillsbury Dough Boy (Jones), and does not sign any of them. He gets some quality arms and hopes a youngster steps up and wins the spot. Owens starts in CF to our collective chagrin, but holds his own and has a productive '08.

I'm probably wrong about this :smile:

spiffie
11-14-2007, 09:50 AM

If that happened it would prove that KW is the greatest gambler in the world. And I would love every minute of it. Just because I don't believe BA is going to be very good doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see him be very good.

RowanDye
11-14-2007, 10:35 AM
...someone else!

I wouldn't mind Rowand in CF, because with his OBP he could leadoff in a pinch. However, I think both Rowand and Hunter are vastly overpriced. Gary Matthews Jr. should be the reason NOT to pay the amount money I hear flying around. We really don't need more power in our lineup, and we definitely don't need to be throwing around 5 yr. 75 million dollar contracts to old guys. I don't see how either one of those guys makes us a contender next year, and I think they both decrease our chances of contending in '09 and beyond. Above all else we just need solid defense in CF.

KW should make offers, but definitely not get into bidding wars. Stick to a 3-4 yr. max contract, and who knows maybe we can get Andruw Jones on the cheap.

Then I would like to see us go after Kosuke Fukudome to play leftfield and potentially leadoff.

rowand33
11-14-2007, 10:40 AM
I think it will be Hunter.

If we can't land Hunter, we'll land Rowand.

I am very confident CF will not be an issue next year.

drewcifer
11-14-2007, 10:48 AM
Then I would like to see us go after Kosuke Fukudome to play leftfield and potentially leadoff.

Fukodome is older than Rowand and hasn't played a day in our bigs.

...just saying...

soxinem1
11-14-2007, 12:32 PM

I was counting on Dave Stegman battling it out with Daryl Boston and John Cangelosi.

WhiteSox5187
11-14-2007, 12:34 PM

Obviously that won't happen (at least not with the White Sox, could happen with another organization though), but I'd love to see it happen...I think Anderson is a good player, but he has a lousy attitude and that has cost him his job with the Sox.

D. TODD
11-14-2007, 12:41 PM

Ideally though, put together a trade and get Crawford in LF and just keep Owens in CF Torii is suppose to be a great clubhouse guy as well. I agree the money may be too outrageous though, so we will see how it turns out. Rowand is coming of a career year also, and his price seems to be out of whack too. Barring a trade they do seem to be the best options unless you prefer a guy coming off of his worst year at an equally outrageous price in A. Jones.

D. TODD
11-14-2007, 12:47 PM
...someone else!

I wouldn't mind Rowand in CF, because with his OBP he could leadoff in a pinch. However, I think both Rowand and Hunter are vastly overpriced. Gary Matthews Jr. should be the reason NOT to pay the amount money I hear flying around. We really don't need more power in our lineup, and we definitely don't need to be throwing around 5 yr. 75 million dollar contracts to old guys. I don't see how either one of those guys makes us a contender next year, and I think they both decrease our chances of contending in '09 and beyond. Above all else we just need solid defense in CF.

KW should make offers, but definitely not get into bidding wars. Stick to a 3-4 yr. max contract, and who knows maybe we can get Andruw Jones on the cheap.

Then I would like to see us go after Kosuke Fukudome to play leftfield and potentially leadoff. I think you will see a lot of Fukudome in Chicago this year, just on the northside. If this is the case hears to hoping that he's a colossal bust!:tongue:

chisox77
11-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Hunter will be in CF . . . hopefully. KW will get this done.

:cool:

Madscout
11-16-2007, 08:41 AM
You can't win in the major leagues with a guy the caliber of Aaron Rowand in CF. It's just a proven fact.

There ya go... I think we won in 05 with Rowand as our CF.

Taliesinrk
11-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Ken Griffey Jr. Then Hawk can scream, "He's gonna play CF!!"

spiffie
11-16-2007, 09:26 AM
There ya go... I think we won in 05 with Rowand as our CF.
:tealpolice:

We've got multiple violations....first we have an unnecessary FYP for a post that was obviously teal implied, and we have a misuse of color designed to burn a man's eyes from his head.

Gammons Peter
11-16-2007, 09:33 AM
Hunter will be in CF . . . hopefully. KW will get this done.

:cool:

I hope not

Foulke You
11-16-2007, 10:51 AM
I dunno, I'm hearing good things about this Brian Simmons too. He is my dark horse to win the CF job. :tongue:

103 screwball
11-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Hunter goes to Texas. Rowand is not worth the money that he will get somewhere else and KW knows it. Jones is a Boras client. Owen's should be the guy at that point. He won't be. Owen's will be passed over like Rowand was passed by Lofton and Anderson was replaced by Erstadt. Coco Crisp will be the guy. Cabrera will be in left. The Sox will give up too much for both of them, but Cabrera will sign long term. KW has a few more ex-indians to get if he misses out on his ex-twins. Now that I have completely figured out KW, he will do something completely unexpected.

mcp5185
11-16-2007, 12:12 PM

Far and away his best numbers? In 2002 he had an almost identical season to last year. He had a career high in doubles and RBIs last year, his other stats were above his career averages, but he does have 3 seasons (99,00,05) that kind of bring his averages down.

Basically since 2001 Hunter has been good for a line of, .272/.327/.482, with 25-30 HRs, 15-20 SBs, 30-35 2Bs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3723