PDA

View Full Version : A-Rod page

RockyMtnSoxFan
11-13-2007, 06:14 PM
For what it's worth, there's a funny/accurate article on ESPN about A-Rod. It is a series of made up emails and replies between A-Rod and a fan, revealing what a fraud and greedy jerk he is. They mentioned the web page AROD.com, so I checked it out, and it is a real site. I can't believe how self-absorbed and greedy this guy is. His name is capitalized every time it appears on his site. He has a page called "AROD Avenue" which consists of glowing compliments from fans.

Blegh. I'm glad this guy doesn't play for the Sox. Kenny better not be making any plans to change that.

munchman33
11-13-2007, 06:23 PM
For what it's worth, there's a funny/accurate article on ESPN about A-Rod. It is a series of made up emails and replies between A-Rod and a fan, revealing what a fraud and greedy jerk he is. They mentioned the web page AROD.com, so I checked it out, and it is a real site. I can't believe how self-absorbed and greedy this guy is. His name is capitalized every time it appears on his site. He has a page called "AROD Avenue" which consists of glowing compliments from fans.

Blegh. I'm glad this guy doesn't play for the Sox. Kenny better not be making any plans to change that.

Well, your posting this is going to cause people on his site to check out arod.com, thus creating new advertising revenue for AROD. I'm sure AROD is grateful.

:payrod
"THANK YOU FOR YOUR $UPPPORT!!!"

Jjav829
11-13-2007, 10:09 PM

Yeah, because I'm sure Arod is sitting at home coding html for the site and coming up with new designs. :?:

It may be his "official site," but how much influence do you think Arod really has in that site? Do you think he was just sitting at home one day, re-designing his website and decided to add an AROD Avenue section to the site? Or do you think the editor of the site thought it would be a good idea, and maybe ran it by Arod's people to get an OK?

Come on...

RKMeibalane
11-13-2007, 11:06 PM
Maybe I'm just clueless, but I've never understood the animosity that people have towards Rodriguez. He plays the game as well as anyone, and plays it the right way. Is he arrogant? Probably, but I don't think his arrogance is as bad as some in the media would have us believe. Rodriguez came into the league as a former number-one pick, playing under a great deal of pressure, and has not only lived up to his draft position, but seems to have exceeded the expectations placed upon him during his early years with the Mariners.

Success is not a crime, and though A-Rod has certainly experienced more success than most, that doesn't make him less deserving of more success, given that he works extremely hard to make himself a better baseball player. When Alex Rodriguez starts crying in front of Congress or screaming at Rick Reilly, feel free to talk with me about his attitude. Until then, let's leave the guy alone. Baseball has a lot of problems right now, but this man isn't one of them.

munchman33
11-14-2007, 01:27 AM
Maybe I'm just clueless, but I've never understood the animosity that people have towards Rodriguez. He plays the game as well as anyone, and plays it the right way. Is he arrogant? Probably, but I don't think his arrogance is as bad as some in the media would have us believe. Rodriguez came into the league as a former number-one pick, playing under a great deal of pressure, and has not only lived up to his draft position, but seems to have exceeded the expectations placed upon him during his early years with the Mariners.

Success is not a crime, and though A-Rod has certainly experienced more success than most, that doesn't make him less deserving of more success, given that he works extremely hard to make himself a better baseball player. When Alex Rodriguez starts crying in front of Congress or screaming at Rick Reilly, feel free to talk with me about his attitude. Until then, let's leave the guy alone. Baseball has a lot of problems right now, but this man isn't one of them.

Most of it is probably Boras.

oeo
11-14-2007, 01:30 AM

And yet people want the jerk-off that is Torii Hunter wearing silver and black...

drewcifer
11-14-2007, 08:59 AM
And yet people want the jerk-off that is Torii Hunter wearing silver and black...

I was listening to him yeseterday on the ride home from work. He was on XM home plate.

He was clear about his decision not being so much about $. He flat out said he'd turn down a larger offer if it was from a team he didn't feel was going anywhere. Wherever he goes (according to him), the GM is going to have to show him his plans and convince him that he is looking to win now. In a sense, he's scouting out his next move himself.

Takes him down a few pegs on the "jerk-off" meter in my book...

Thomes Forearm
11-14-2007, 09:38 AM

he is quite a rod.

palehozenychicty
11-14-2007, 09:46 AM

You haven't had to watch him play over the past five years. Your attitude about him would change, believe me. I felt the same way that you did before he joined the Yankees. Then I had a chance to watch his style of play, the lack of camraderie between himself and teammates, pompous behavior, and I now saw it. He blows, and is a team killer.

Iwritecode
11-14-2007, 10:37 AM
I was listening to him yeseterday on the ride home from work. He was on XM home plate.

He was clear about his decision not being so much about $. He flat out said he'd turn down a larger offer if it was from a team he didn't feel was going anywhere. Wherever he goes (according to him), the GM is going to have to show him his plans and convince him that he is looking to win now. In a sense, he's scouting out his next move himself.

I remember him saying the same thing just before he signed his mega-deal with the Rangers. They were certainly going places back then. :rolleyes:

Sockinchisox
11-14-2007, 10:39 AM
I remember him saying the same thing just before he signed his mega-deal with the Rangers. They were certainly going places back then. :rolleyes:

He was talking about Torii.

drewcifer
11-14-2007, 10:50 AM
You haven't had to watch him play over the past five years. Your attitude about him would change, believe me. I felt the same way that you did before he joined the Yankees. Then I had a chance to watch his style of play, the lack of camraderie between himself and teammates, pompous behavior, and I now saw it. He blows, and is a team killer.

Yup, pretty much :nod:

I was talking about Torii, not A-Rod.

Iwritecode
11-14-2007, 10:56 AM
Yup, pretty much :nod:

I was talking about Torii, not A-Rod.

He was talking about Torii.

:redface:

mjmcend
11-14-2007, 11:48 AM

He is the best baseball player alive. He most certainly does not 'blow.'

fquaye149
11-14-2007, 12:24 PM

wow! what a scoop, making up those emails to reveal what a jerk a-rod is!!!!!

that's journalism at its finest!!!:rolleyes:

fquaye149
11-14-2007, 12:25 PM

Much of it is people holding it against A-Rod that the Rangers were willing to pay him 250 million.

Why that is a capital crime, especially since the Rangers's organization more than made that money back, I couldn't say.

But, well, you know--those mollycoddled pro athletes!!!

fquaye149
11-14-2007, 12:26 PM

What an *******, giving his team, on average, on extra 7 wins a year...and that playing out of position just to massage Jeter's swollen ego!

What a crumbum Arod is!

GoSox2K3
11-14-2007, 10:07 PM
Much of it is people holding it against A-Rod that the Rangers were willing to pay him 250 million.

Why that is a capital crime, especially since the Rangers's organization more than made that money back, I couldn't say.

But, well, you know--those mollycoddled pro athletes!!!

GMAB.

First of all...:bs:If it was such a great contract for the Rangers, then why did they eat part of his salary to unload the best baseball player of our generation.

But, I don't care about the Rangers - it was their choice and their stupidity in giving him that contract. But, why is it that we, by your logic, must like A-Rod? I'm sorry, but I don't HAVE TO like the guy and it is not a "capital crime" that I don't like him or his agent's over the top greed and tactics.

I wish some of you guys would give it a rest with the "this is the free market - therefore we all have to love everyone who makes as much as they can" bull****. Yes, this is America and A-Rod is making as much as he can. God bless him and God bless America that it is his right to do so......That still doesn't mean we have to admire him. I don't and many fans don't. That's our OPINION. Not everyone puts the almighty dollar over everything else.

The reality is that A-Rod sold out some of his reputation as a person in exchange for totally breaking the bank. If he's happy with that - fine. But, he could have also have chosen to have a career where he still made well over $100 million in his career and he only be known for his exceptional talent and not his greed.

He chose his path...and this is the price he pays (being disliked). He probably doesn't care if people dislike him. If so, then maybe neither should you.

Domeshot17
11-14-2007, 10:18 PM
GMAB.

First of all...:bs:If it was such a great contract for the Rangers, then why did they eat part of his salary to unload the best baseball player of our generation.

But, I don't care about the Rangers - it was their choice and their stupidity in giving him that contract. But, why is it that we, by your logic, must like A-Rod? I'm sorry, but I don't HAVE TO like the guy and it is not a "capital crime" that I don't like him or his agent's over the top greed and tactics.

I wish some of you guys would give it a rest with the "this is the free market - therefore we all have to love everyone who makes as much as they can" bull****. Yes, this is America and A-Rod is making as much as he can. God bless him and God bless America that it is his right to do so......That still doesn't mean we have to admire him. I don't and many fans don't. That's our OPINION. Not everyone puts the almighty dollar over everything else.

The reality is that A-Rod sold out some of his reputation as a person in exchange for totally breaking the bank. If he's happy with that - fine. But, he could have also have chosen to have a career where he still made well over $100 million in his career and he only be known for his exceptional talent and not his greed.

He chose his path...and this is the price he pays (being disliked). He probably doesn't care if people dislike him. If so, then maybe neither should you.

How is he any different then Thome, Clemens, Zito, Mike Hampton and every other baseball player who left his home team for free agency? Because some team gave him 250 million? Is that his fault?

Freaking Thome turned his back on Cleveland and then gave this whole Cleveland is my home, I love the cubs speech and Philly came over the top and who did he sign with? Philly. I love Thome, same thing as Arod. Clemens holds teams hostage every year, Zito left Oakland to chase the dollars.

The difference is Someone paid Arod more than these guys. HELL, Konerko was 2 days away from bolting us for Anaheim.

But he would have only got 70 mil, not 250-500 right.

We are clamoring for Torii Hunter, why aren't we ripping and despising him for leaving minnesota to chase more money?

Its hypocritical anyway you slice it.

WLL1855
11-14-2007, 11:12 PM
How is he any different then Thome, Clemens, Zito, Mike Hampton and every other baseball player who left his home team for free agency? Because some team gave him 250 million? Is that his fault?

Freaking Thome turned his back on Cleveland and then gave this whole Cleveland is my home, I love the cubs speech and Philly came over the top and who did he sign with? Philly. I love Thome, same thing as Arod. Clemens holds teams hostage every year, Zito left Oakland to chase the dollars.

The difference is Someone paid Arod more than these guys. HELL, Konerko was 2 days away from bolting us for Anaheim.

But he would have only got 70 mil, not 250-500 right.

We are clamoring for Torii Hunter, why aren't we ripping and despising him for leaving minnesota to chase more money?

Its hypocritical anyway you slice it.

BS. I've got no problem with whatever team Rodriguez ends up playing for. That isn't the issue. The problems I have are his prima donna bull**** and sonofa***** agent. "Yeah, we need a $350 million dollar offer before we are willing to sit down and talk specifics." **** you. Act like a professional. Take a lesson from Cal Ripken. Just play the game. Everything else will take care of itself.

fquaye149
11-15-2007, 10:24 AM
GMAB.

Because they already had the 250 million dollar tv deal they signed contingent on landing a-rod in 2000? Maybe? :rolleyes:

Where do I say you "must" like A-rod. I'm perplexed by the animosity AGAINST A-rod. I don't know what the **** you posted in this thread, and based on your "civilized" mode of discourse in this post I don't care to go back and find out if I was responding to your post or someone else's...but what I WAS responding to are the myriad "A-Rod is a scumbag" "A-Rod's a douche" "A-Rod is me me me" posts on this site. Not whether A-Rod is LIKED by anyone, but rather the fact that people HATE A-rod for being paid by the Rangers in a deal that made the Rangers a LOTTTTTT of money.

Nice rant.:rolleyes: You should write a column on the last page of Sports Illustrated or something. Anyway, re: the actual point, see my response above.

Sure he could have, but if that extra 150 million will help his children and his children's children, he'd be stupid to turn it down.

In a perfect world, money doesn't matter, but this is far from a perfect world.

I don't really care all that much, but I just have to roll my eyes when I see this "A-Rod's a crumbum for taking money people were willing to give him."

It's smacks of the "them gol'darned ath-a-ma-letes are overpaid" and "nellie fox would have never taken an extra dollar because a coal miner deserves more money than a baseball player" bull**** that people who don't realize that it's actually the OWNERS who are swindling them pull out their asses all the time

fquaye149
11-15-2007, 10:27 AM
BS. I've got no problem with whatever team Rodriguez ends up playing for. That isn't the issue. The problems I have are his prima donna bull**** and sonofa***** agent. "Yeah, we need a $350 million dollar offer before we are willing to sit down and talk specifics." **** you. Act like a professional. Take a lesson from Cal Ripken. Just play the game. Everything else will take care of itself.

Gee--sounds a lot like what A-Rod (who is about 5 times the player Ripken was on the playing field) did: he played like the best player in baseball, hired an agent to negotiate for him, and then because he played well, got paid like the best player in baseball.

It's not like he's Mo Vaughn, Bobby Higginson, Chan Ho Park, or even Jose Contreras--he earned his money and of all gigantic MLB contracts, there would be few GM's who would tell you A-Rod's not earning every cent of his contract (especially for teams like NYY, NYM, ANA, or BOS, where payroll is really not a concern)

D. TODD
11-15-2007, 10:38 AM

Success is not a crime, and though A-Rod has certainly experienced more success than most, that doesn't make him less deserving of more success, given that he works extremely hard to make himself a better baseball player. When Alex Rodriguez starts crying in front of Congress or screaming at Rick Reilly, feel free to talk with me about his attitude. Until then, let's leave the guy alone. Baseball has a lot of problems right now, but this man isn't one of them. I agree with you I respect A-rod all around. I think the money gets people to take off on him out of pure envy. To hear people say they would not want him on the Sox is laughable to me.

fquaye149
11-15-2007, 10:53 AM
I agree with you I respect A-rod all around. I think the money gets people to take off on him out of pure envy. To hear people say they would not want him on the Sox is laughable to me.

^^^exactly. Would I want to hang out with A-Rod? Almost certainly not--he seems like, like many great athletes, an arrogant jerk.

But then again, that's just like many great athletes. Would it be just peachy keen if he was a super guy, lots of fun, humble, and a great charity benefactor? Sure. But then again, we don't necessarily know that's the case unless we are buying into the ESPN hype machine...which, of course, since we're all too smart for that...right?

weareud
11-15-2007, 11:40 AM

You're glad that one of the best players ever who is currently in his prime doesn't play for the SOX???? That could be the dumbest thing ever posted on this board. :rolleyes:

hi im skot
11-15-2007, 12:59 PM
You're glad that one of the best players ever who is currently in his prime doesn't play for the SOX???? That could be the dumbest thing ever posted on this board. :rolleyes:

There's a lot of baggage that comes along with A-Rod. He's a fantastic player, probably one of the best ever. However, you have to be prepared for the circus that follows him.

I would love him on the Sox, but you risk not being able to keep a lot of the "bigger names" on the Sox roster.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for someone to not want him in our lineup...just as long as their reasoning doesn't have anything to do with his lack of production in the postseason...because that's a load.

fquaye149
11-15-2007, 01:24 PM
There's a lot of baggage that comes along with A-Rod. He's a fantastic player, probably one of the best ever. However, you have to be prepared for the circus that follows him.

I would love him on the Sox, but you risk not being able to keep a lot of the "bigger names" on the Sox roster.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for someone to not want him in our lineup...just as long as their reasoning doesn't have anything to do with his lack of production in the postseason...because that's a load.

Well, it's true the Chicago sports media is nearly as despicable as the NY media, and would INVENT baggage as soon as he arrived...especially since they would be salty that he wasn't on the Cubs if he was in Chicago.

Nevertheless, the "clubhouse cancer" thing is largely based on the fact that Primadonna Derek Jeter didn't like him. You didn't really hear that thing too much in Tex or Sea

hi im skot
11-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Well, it's true the Chicago sports media is nearly as despicable as the NY media, and would INVENT baggage as soon as he arrived...especially since they would be salty that he wasn't on the Cubs if he was in Chicago.

Nevertheless, the "clubhouse cancer" thing is largely based on the fact that Primadonna Derek Jeter didn't like him. You didn't really hear that thing too much in Tex or Sea

Well said.

Although, you have to wonder how the rest of the clubhouse feels about his presence. I would imagine that most would be thrilled to have his production in the lineup.

mjmcend
11-15-2007, 02:18 PM

I think the only reasonable defense of not wanting ARod on your team is the salary issue. The position (and it's a position I agree with) that tying up 1/4 to 1/3 of your payroll in one player is detrimental to the team is very defensible. And it's even more detrimental if the salary prevents you from signing or retaining other proven commodities and specifically pitching. Also having that much money tied up in one player is a risk based on the bus factor, i.e. if ARod gets hit by a bus and is never the same player again.

fquaye149
11-15-2007, 02:39 PM
I think the only reasonable defense of not wanting ARod on your team is the salary issue. The position (and it's a position I agree with) that tying up 1/4 to 1/3 of your payroll in one player is detrimental to the team is very defensible. And it's even more detrimental if the salary prevents you from signing or retaining other proven commodities and specifically pitching. Also having that much money tied up in one player is a risk based on the bus factor, i.e. if ARod gets hit by a bus and is never the same player again.

I think most teams that sign huge contracts for players like A-Rod get them insured in case of injury...I think that's called the Mo Vaughn factor...

goon
11-15-2007, 02:46 PM
I'm perplexed by the animosity AGAINST A-rod.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/goon31/arod.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/goon31/arod_wife.jpg

He's a righteous dude!

D. TODD
11-15-2007, 02:56 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/goon31/arod.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/goon31/arod_wife.jpg

He's a righteous dude!So he makes a lot of money, has a guitar with his name and team on it, and poses with his good looking wife in bathing suits. Still very perplexing to me as well as to why any of that is a problem.

goon
11-15-2007, 03:09 PM
So he makes a lot of money, has a guitar with his name and team on it, and poses with his good looking wife in bathing suits. Still very perplexing to me as well as to why any of that is a problem.

At least we haven't lost our sense of humor...

FarWestChicago
11-15-2007, 10:34 PM
So he makes a lot of money, has a guitar with his name and team on it, and poses with his good looking wife in bathing suits. Oh crap. I thought that last picture was him and his girlfriend. Oh that's right. She's a blond. :wink:

mjmcend
11-15-2007, 11:04 PM
I think most teams that sign huge contracts for players like A-Rod get them insured in case of injury...I think that's called the Mo Vaughn factor...

I thought you couldn't get insurance for a player beyond three years. I could be wrong about that. And anyway, the premium on a $275 million contract also has to be a boat load of cash.

jabrch
11-15-2007, 11:38 PM

Until he takes 6 years and 14mm per from the Texas Rangers who will forever be a bad franchise...

jabrch
11-15-2007, 11:39 PM
I thought you couldn't get insurance for a player beyond three years.

It was 5 - but there are some high end specialty insurers who have written recently some private contracts... That's not so much an issue anymore as long as the players have records of health.

fquaye149
11-16-2007, 07:45 AM
I thought you couldn't get insurance for a player beyond three years. I could be wrong about that. And anyway, the premium on a $275 million contract also has to be a boat load of cash.

definitely isn't cheap, but is probably a lot less than the difference in revenue signing a top tier player means

Hitmen77
11-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Because they already had the 250 million dollar tv deal they signed contingent on landing a-rod in 2000? Maybe? :rolleyes:

Where do I say you "must" like A-rod. I'm perplexed by the animosity AGAINST A-rod. I don't know what the **** you posted in this thread, and based on your "civilized" mode of discourse in this post I don't care to go back and find out if I was responding to your post or someone else's...but what I WAS responding to are the myriad "A-Rod is a scumbag" "A-Rod's a douche" "A-Rod is me me me" posts on this site. Not whether A-Rod is LIKED by anyone, but rather the fact that people HATE A-rod for being paid by the Rangers in a deal that made the Rangers a LOTTTTTT of money.

Nice rant.:rolleyes: You should write a column on the last page of Sports Illustrated or something. Anyway, re: the actual point, see my response above.

Sure he could have, but if that extra 150 million will help his children and his children's children, he'd be stupid to turn it down.

In a perfect world, money doesn't matter, but this is far from a perfect world.

I don't really care all that much, but I just have to roll my eyes when I see this "A-Rod's a crumbum for taking money people were willing to give him."

It's smacks of the "them gol'darned ath-a-ma-letes are overpaid" and "nellie fox would have never taken an extra dollar because a coal miner deserves more money than a baseball player" bull**** that people who don't realize that it's actually the OWNERS who are swindling them pull out their asses all the time

Give it a rest. People always dislike super rich celebrities - especially if they come off as arrogant - why is this perplexing?

Others might have a different opinion than you - get over it already.

fquaye149
11-16-2007, 12:06 PM
*straw man alert code orange!!!!*

Because this isn't a "celebrity" page. This is a baseball page.

That's why.

If you want to read US Weekly and People Magazine and so forth and rail against A-Rod for his philandering and greed, fine.

But to distort the fact that he's the best player in the game the way people doing is what's obnoxious.

FarWestChicago
11-16-2007, 05:33 PM
If you want to read US Weekly and People Magazine and so forth and rail against A-Rod for his philandering and greed, fine.I don't read any of that crap and I still think it's much more likely Pay-Rod is a complete asshat rather than a decent guy. I'm sure if forced to bet, you would agree. :D:

fquaye149
11-16-2007, 08:21 PM
I don't read any of that crap and I still think it's much more likely Pay-Rod is a complete asshat rather than a decent guy. I'm sure if forced to bet, you would agree. :D:

Sure. But I would say the vast majority of MLB players are too.

Roger Clemens is a complete asshat...but you don't see people trying to marginalize The Rocket's accomplishments the way they do a-rod's (except for that whole "half-year" schtick he's pulled lately.)

IF people would just rip A-Rod the way they do Manny, or Rocket, or Paulie (not often enough:D:) and so forth, that'd be fine...but there's a whole different aspect to the A-Rod rip where peo9ple are so blinded by their hatred for him (jealousy...) that they try to act like he's not far and away the best player in baseball...