PDA

View Full Version : CC "big boy" Sabathia wins Cy Young

chisoxmike
11-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Just announced.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071113&content_id=2299400&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

In voting conducted by members of the Baseball Writers Association of America, Sabathia beat Boston's Josh Beckett for his first American League Cy Young Award. He is only the second pitcher in Indians history to win the award -- the first being Gaylord Perry, who won it in 1972.

D. TODD
11-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Wow, that's a bit of a surprise to me. I thought Beckett would get it, but CC did dominate and I don't have a problem with his selection.

chaerulez
11-13-2007, 01:10 PM
I'm glad he won it over Beckett.

PKalltheway
11-13-2007, 01:11 PM
You would've thought that after watching ESPN that Beckett would be the sure fire winner. One of those dopes on Sportscenter last night said something to the effect of "why even consider Sabathia, Beckett's going to win it.":rolleyes: **** those clowns at ESPN and the horses they rode in on.

PorkChopExpress
I'm glad he won it over Beckett.

Ditto. It's based on regular season and CC had a better regular season than Beckett. Beckett had one more win and that was it. CC had him beat in every other category.

skottyj242
I'm actually pretty suprised about this as well.

chisoxmike
11-13-2007, 01:12 PM
But I was told that Beckett was the greatest pitcher of our time.

FarWestChicago
11-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Fatbathia is lucky the postseason doesn't count. :redneck

chisoxmike
11-13-2007, 01:16 PM
My favorite post on a Red Sox board...

Not even close - anti east coast bias!!!

:rolling:

spawn
11-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Wow, that's a bit of a surprise to me. I thought Beckett would get it, but CC did dominate and I don't have a problem with his selection.
Ditto.

VenturaFan23
11-13-2007, 01:19 PM
This was definitely the right choice. I'm glad he won. But, I heard that ESPN has now asked for a recount. :cool:

balke
11-13-2007, 01:22 PM
So, uh... Fenway... does this make Sabathia the best pitcher in baseball then? :tongue:

Sorry, had to.

The Immigrant
11-13-2007, 01:27 PM
I hope it's small consolation for having choked so badly in the playoffs. He may be my least favorite player in all of AL Central.

Rocky Soprano
11-13-2007, 01:28 PM
So, uh... Fenway... does this make Sabathia the best pitcher in baseball then? :tongue:

Sorry, had to.

I was going to post the exact same thing!

mjmcend
11-13-2007, 01:45 PM
I hope it's small consolation for having choked so badly in the playoffs. He may be my least favorite player in all of AL Central.

Here is some consolation for us. Now he is owed an extra $2 million for next year. Hopefully that hampers the Indians moves this offseason. Also, it allows C.C. to leverage more money from the Indians in his next contract so he will be more expensive long term or perhaps the Indians just let him walk.

Fenway
11-13-2007, 02:13 PM
I am sure the good citizens of Cleveland will have a parade for him. :tongue:

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2007/10/18/1192755075_8725.jpg

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2007/11/09/1194642042_1381.gif (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/playoffs07/commemorative/)

chisoxfanatic
11-13-2007, 02:17 PM
Good for him. He pitched in the toughest division in baseball and definitely is the best in the game. It's a shame he collapsed at the wrong time.

Now, hopefully he'll do not so well against our Sox next year.

Rocky Soprano
11-13-2007, 02:17 PM

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2007/11/09/1194642042_1381.gif (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/playoffs07/commemorative/)

Parade or no parade your boy Beckett is not the best pitcher in baseball, hell he wasn't even the best pitcher this year.

:gulp:

Now tune in to a special baseball tonight where they discuss how Beckett was robbed hosted by Peter Gammons.

Fenway
11-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Parade or no parade your boy Beckett is not the best pitcher in baseball, hell he wasn't even the best pitcher this year.

:gulp:

Now tune in to a special baseball tonight where they discuss how Beckett was robbed hosted by Peter Gammons.

He was however the best pitcher in the post-season. :D:

Shoeless_Jeff
11-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Heh, I was looking at the top contenders last night and came to the conclusion that Sabathia should win hands down. He had one less win than Beckett, but had a lower ERA, had more strikeouts, walked fewer, and ate more innings.

Congratulations to CC, he was the right choice.

That said, I hope the White Sox pound him next season.

chisoxfanatic
11-13-2007, 02:45 PM
He better enjoy it when he can, though, because Mark Buehrle's winning this award next year!

Paulwny
11-13-2007, 03:57 PM
I found it hard to belive that Wynn, Garcia, Lemon and FELLER never won the Cy Young as members of the Tribe but, its correct. CC is only the 2nd Indian to receive this award, amazing.

DumpJerry
11-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Here is some consolation for us. Now he is owed an extra $2 million for next year. Hopefully that hampers the Indians moves this offseason. Also, it allows C.C. to leverage more money from the Indians in his next contract so he will be more expensive long term or perhaps the Indians just let him walk.
I'm thinking that should let him buy some extra cheesecakes and cheeseburgers.

PKalltheway
11-13-2007, 05:12 PM
I found it hard to belive that Wynn, Garcia, Lemon and FELLER never won the Cy Young as members of the Tribe but, its correct. CC is only the 2nd Indian to receive this award, amazing.
The guys you just named pitched the bulk of their career with the Tribe before the award was instituted in 1955. Even then, there was only one award given, instead of one for each league like it is today.

As of today, the only team to have been around since the inception of the award, and NOT have a Cy Young winner would be the Cincinnati Reds.

DSpivack
11-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Heh, I was looking at the top contenders last night and came to the conclusion that Sabathia should win hands down. He had one less win than Beckett, but had a lower ERA, had more strikeouts, walked fewer, and ate more innings.

Congratulations to CC, he was the right choice.

That said, I hope the White Sox pound him next season.

:redneck:tongue:

diehardRLsoxfan
11-13-2007, 05:26 PM

I'd have to agree with ya, except for the fact that I have a hard time judging a person's character when their hat is askew.:hurt

mjmcend
11-13-2007, 06:06 PM
If Bedard didn't get hurt, he should have won it. Hell, maybe he still should have if use the precedent of Hunter winning the Gold Glove during the season he missed a third of the games.

fquaye149
11-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Beckett had one more win and a very slightly better k/9 than CC. Beckett also had a minisculy better ERA+. However, every other major category--ERA, W/L, K's, CG's, SHO's, K:BB, and IP are clear edges to CC

No ****ing way CC doesn't deserve this, and anyone who says otherwise must be a Bristol moron

Brian26
11-13-2007, 08:56 PM

Uh oh, we got...http://louisville.edu/~hgnage01/pwned-18345.jpg

ChiSoxGirl
11-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Like quite a few people, I was pretty surprised about this award. I'm sure the people of Boston and at ESPN are up in arms over such a travesty. :rolleyes:

I know a Red Sox fan who lives in suburban Boston and, of course, he sent me an e-mail this afternoon, telling me about Captain Cheeseburger winning the Cy Young, and sarcastically throws in at the end, "Don't you think if there was an east coast conspiracy, Beckett would have won this?"

He & I have gone round & round about the east coast bias, and more specifically, the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network, more times than I can count. He thinks I'm insane for believing such a bias exists. But when I responded to his e-mail, I told him that he doesn't see it because he lives on the east coast and to him, constant coverage of the Red Sox and Yankees on ESPN is normal. My uncle sees the bias, and he lives on the west coast. I told this guy that all you have to do is turn on ESPN and watch Baseball Tonight or Sports Center during the baseball season and it's painfully obvious how much press teams like NYY and BOS get. And this is coming from a girl who doesn't have ESPN- I've just seen these shows occasionally and when I have, the bias is as obvious as the day is long!

No matter what I say to this guy, he just doesn't recognize or admit that such a bias exists. But of course, there's no telling a Red Sox fan this, so I've decided to quit beating a dead horse and am going to quit going there with him. :dunno:

mjmcend
11-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Like quite a few people, I was pretty surprised about this award. I'm sure the people of Boston and at ESPN are up in arms over such a travesty. :rolleyes:

I know a Red Sox fan who lives in suburban Boston and, of course, he sent me an e-mail this afternoon, telling me about Captain Cheeseburger winning the Cy Young, and sarcastically throws in at the end, "Don't you think if there was an east coast conspiracy, Beckett would have won this?"

He & I have gone round & round about the east coast bias, and more specifically, the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network, more times than I can count. He thinks I'm insane for believing such a bias exists. But when I responded to his e-mail, I told him that he doesn't see it because he lives on the east coast and to him, constant coverage of the Red Sox and Yankees on ESPN is normal. My uncle sees the bias, and he lives on the west coast. I told this guy that all you have to do is turn on ESPN and watch Baseball Tonight or Sports Center during the baseball season and it's painfully obvious how much press teams like NYY and BOS get. And this is coming from a girl who doesn't have ESPN- I've just seen these shows occasionally and when I have, the bias is as obvious as the day is long!

No matter what I say to this guy, he just doesn't recognize or admit that such a bias exists. But of course, there's no telling a Red Sox fan this, so I've decided to quit beating a dead horse and am going to quit going there with him. :dunno:

Depends what you mean by bias. I don't think the BBWA has a bias and the Cy Young results are partial proof of this. However, ESPN has a rampant East Coast bias, and like your friends states, even a cursory glance at SportsCenter proves this.

Better question for you, why are you still watching those no-talent ass clowns in Bristol?

ChiSoxGirl
11-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Depends what you mean by bias. I don't think the BBWA has a bias and the Cy Young results are partial proof of this. However, ESPN has a rampant East Coast bias, and like your friends states, even a cursory glance at SportsCenter proves this.

Better question for you, why are you still watching those no-talent ass clowns in Bristol?

Actually, I stated that. The guy I mentioned thinks I'm insane for even thinking there's a bias, let alone believing it! I don't the the BBWAA have a bias- they're pretty impartial.

As I said in my initial post, I don't have cable... so I don't watch them. I've just seen them when I've been in a place that has ESPN on.

ode to veeck
11-13-2007, 10:12 PM
I'd take Beckett's ring anyday over CC's Cy Young. He didn't come close to closing out the pennant in two tries in the ALCS, meh.

fquaye149
11-14-2007, 09:28 AM
I'd take Beckett's ring anyday over CC's Cy Young. He didn't come close to closing out the pennant in two tries in the ALCS, meh.

So you're saying you'd rather win the World Series than not?

Ok. Fair enough.

SBSoxFan
11-14-2007, 09:56 AM
I don't have cable...

Me neither. :hug:

ode to veeck
11-14-2007, 11:45 AM
So you're saying you'd rather win the World Series than not?

Ok. Fair enough.

I was trying to be nice about it, instead of pointing out the Cy Young winner just plain out sucked big time in the ALCS

fquaye149
11-14-2007, 01:52 PM
I was trying to be nice about it, instead of pointing out the Cy Young winner just plain out sucked big time in the ALCS

Not pointing it out at all would be even nicer, I would think.

You think Sabathia's satisfied with the way he pitched in the ALCS just because he won the Cy Young? Maybe, maybe not.

The fact is the Cy Young is based on reg. season stats, not playoff and CC was clearly better. If voting was done after the playoffs then Beckett would have won, but then again if the White Sox had won 30 more reg season games, they would have got to play 3 more games this year.

This smacks of the crap A-Rod has to put up with because he had a few bad postseason games. Except in this case Sabathia's getting ripped for having TWO BAD GAMES after pitching 240 regular season innings of stellar baseball.

You can put that on Wedge, but it's pretty unfair to act like that tainted his season. He was lights out all year and was a HORSE

FarWestChicago
11-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Except in this case Sabathia's getting ripped for having TWO BAD GAMES after pitching 240 regular season innings of stellar baseball.I'll look for any excuse to rip Fatbathia. I don't like him. :D:

fquaye149
11-14-2007, 05:51 PM
well, I must say, as a grateful poster on this site, i will gladly indulge your anti-sabathia leanings

Grzegorz
11-14-2007, 08:50 PM
He was however the best pitcher in the post-season.

I'll take him in a game seven.