PDA

View Full Version : Less May Be More

Lillian
11-13-2007, 07:14 AM
Of course it’s great fun playing G.M., and Fantasy Baseball. And the “grass is always greener”, on someone else’s ball yard. There are lots of players around that would look awfully good in a Sox uniform, and most of them have been mentioned in rumors or suggestions on this board. Unfortunately, it would require a lot of money, or players, to obtain them. However, I’d be interested to see what kinds of ideas we could all come up with to fix this team, with as little player movement as possible.
The following plan is just an example of the sort of modest revamping that I’m talking about:
We all know that pitching and defense win championships, so I’d suggest we make one acquisition, and retain everyone else in order to put the best team on the field, with the least increase in payroll.
If we were to sign either Hunter, or preferably Rowand, for center, the Sox could have a very good defensive team with the current roster. I’d retain Crede for at least this year, and hope to sign him to a long term deal. I’d put Owens in Left, and bat him lead off, unless we could get Furcal to replace Uribe. That infield of Crede, Uribe, or Furcal, Richar, and Konerko is outstanding defensively.

An outfield of Owens, Rowand, and Dye is a good mixture of range, and arms with reasonable instincts and baseball intelligence. What Owens lacks in arm strength, Rowand and Dye can make up, and what Dye lacks in range, Owens makes up. Perhaps Aaron could shade more toward right, to help Dye’s declining range. Jerry should be able to cover Left Center, as well as left, with his speed.
A.J. is still solid behind the plate. That team would not have any defensive holes.

The starting rotation could be very good by simply bringing everyone back. The top of the rotation with Vasquez, Buerhle, and Garland would be the envy of many teams.
Contreras, Danks, or Floyd, Broadway, Egbert, and Gonzales should be able to fill out the starting five.

The Bullpen, which was the real Achilles Heel of the Sox last year, could be fixed with the outstanding crop of young pitchers, waiting their chance to start. A couple of additions to the Pen from the group previously mentioned makes more sense than over paying for old, and inconsistent relievers in the free agency, or trade market. Why not let the ones who don’t make the rotation, pitch out of the Pen?

Now for the always controversial lineup:
Owens
Rowand (High OBP, and a spot in which he thrives)
Thome (platooned with Fields, who is a monster vs. Lefties)
Dye
Konerko
A.J.
Crede
Richar
Uribe

If you can swap Contreras for Furcal, then you put him at the top of the order, and bat Owens 9Th.
Ozuna could see some playing time in Left for Owens, vs. Lefties.
Fields could occasionally spell Crede at third, when not platooning with Thome.

It may not be as good of a team as some of us might construct in our Fantasy Leagues, but it is pretty doable, and realistic. There is some speed, plenty of pop, great defense, a strong rotation, and hopefully a better Bullpen.
There is one intangible here. Reuniting the “Three Stooges” might not only be good for the team chemistry, but it just might help to influence Crede to fire Boras, and sign a long term with the Sox.
I know that I've made some of these suggestions in previous posts, but I thought that it might be interesting to put it in the context of this "More May Be Less" thread.
What are your suggestions for the best Sox team, with the fewest changes?

esbrechtel
11-13-2007, 10:52 AM
in all honesty this is one of the most realistic potential lineups i have seen...I love Owens but he can't lead off his batting avg. and OBP. were awful

good point on bringing rowand back to possibly secure Crede with the sox for awhile, I am a huge fan of Crede but I would like to see the guy play a pain-free season before I really judge whether I want him on the sox in the future, I have a feeling this extension that Kenny offered was low-balled (it would be easy to do so since he was injured at the time) which is why Crede wants to explore free agency...so maybe his days with the Sox aren't numbered....

Domeshot17
11-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Of course it’s great fun playing G.M., and Fantasy Baseball. And the “grass is always greener”, on someone else’s ball yard. There are lots of players around that would look awfully good in a Sox uniform, and most of them have been mentioned in rumors or suggestions on this board. Unfortunately, it would require a lot of money, or players, to obtain them. However, I’d be interested to see what kinds of ideas we could all come up with to fix this team, with as little player movement as possible.
The following plan is just an example of the sort of modest revamping that I’m talking about:
We all know that pitching and defense win championships, so I’d suggest we make one acquisition, and retain everyone else in order to put the best team on the field, with the least increase in payroll.
If we were to sign either Hunter, or preferably Rowand, for center, the Sox could have a very good defensive team with the current roster. I’d retain Crede for at least this year, and hope to sign him to a long term deal. I’d put Owens in Left, and bat him lead off, unless we could get Furcal to replace Uribe. That infield of Crede, Uribe, or Furcal, Richar, and Konerko is outstanding defensively.

An outfield of Owens, Rowand, and Dye is a good mixture of range, and arms with reasonable instincts and baseball intelligence. What Owens lacks in arm strength, Rowand and Dye can make up, and what Dye lacks in range, Owens makes up. Perhaps Aaron could shade more toward right, to help Dye’s declining range. Jerry should be able to cover Left Center, as well as left, with his speed.
A.J. is still solid behind the plate. That team would not have any defensive holes.

The starting rotation could be very good by simply bringing everyone back. The top of the rotation with Vasquez, Buerhle, and Garland would be the envy of many teams.
Contreras, Danks, or Floyd, Broadway, Egbert, and Gonzales should be able to fill out the starting five.

The Bullpen, which was the real Achilles Heel of the Sox last year, could be fixed with the outstanding crop of young pitchers, waiting their chance to start. A couple of additions to the Pen from the group previously mentioned makes more sense than over paying for old, and inconsistent relievers in the free agency, or trade market. Why not let the ones who don’t make the rotation, pitch out of the Pen?

Now for the always controversial lineup:
Owens
Rowand (High OBP, and a spot in which he thrives)
Thome (platooned with Fields, who is a monster vs. Lefties)
Dye
Konerko
A.J.
Crede
Richar
Uribe

If you can swap Contreras for Furcal, then you put him at the top of the order, and bat Owens 9Th.
Ozuna could see some playing time in Left for Owens, vs. Lefties.
Fields could occasionally spell Crede at third, when not platooning with Thome.

It may not be as good of a team as some of us might construct in our Fantasy Leagues, but it is pretty doable, and realistic. There is some speed, plenty of pop, great defense, a strong rotation, and hopefully a better Bullpen.
There is one intangible here. Reuniting the “Three Stooges” might not only be good for the team chemistry, but it just might help to influence Crede to fire Boras, and sign a long term with the Sox.
I know that I've made some of these suggestions in previous posts, but I thought that it might be interesting to put it in the context of this "More May Be Less" thread.
What are your suggestions for the best Sox team, with the fewest changes?

This is Called inability to move on from 2005 Syndrome. It is where instead of seeing a team has a lot of holes, we try to hold on to everyone we loved from 2005.

I love all those guys too, but thats an 83 win team tops.

cbrownson13
11-13-2007, 12:59 PM
This is Called inability to move on from 2005 Syndrome. It is where instead of seeing a team has a lot of holes, we try to hold on to everyone we loved from 2005.

Agreed.

I think not having Fields play everyday would be counterproductive to his development.

I love Crede as much as everyone else, but he's expendable.

Owens belongs no where near the starting lineup next year, IMO. Strictly a fourth outfielder and pinch runner.

I wouldn't doubt a down year from Rowand. Thinking he will put up last year's numbers is a little unrealistic.

Using starters who don't make the rotation as members of your bullpen would be a mistake. Go out and get a couple proven bullpen guys. Experiment with maybe one young guy in a long relief role.

I like the idea of going out and getting Furcal or maybe even Garland for Brandon Phillips. But I don't think Contreras will get you Furcal and I don't think it would be wise to go into next year with Buehrle and Vazquez as the only sure things in the rotation.

Kenny's got some work to do.

This may be a two year job to turn this team back into a playoff threat.

CLR01
11-13-2007, 03:27 PM
So you're saying Rowand was the missing link? What a fresh thought for WSI.

:rolleyes:

Pasqua's Mailman
11-13-2007, 03:36 PM

83 wins might be charitable... Owens leading off in a lineup that includes OBP killers like Richar and Uribe screams 70 wins...

That lineup leaves the Sox with HUGE problems up the middle and the bottom of the lineup... Williams will need to do better than that if he wants the Sox to even sniff .500 next year...

Also, if you think that the Sox can make it make to .500 (forget contend) by relying on young unproven pitchers from the Sox minor league system to fill their numerous bullpen hole you might be setting yourself up for a big letdown...

Lillian
11-13-2007, 04:45 PM
So you're saying Rowand was the missing link? What a fresh thought for WSI.

:rolleyes:

No, I'm saying that a return of Crede, with Rowand in center, an adjustment back to career norms for some of the guys who had bad years, and improvement from the youngsters, might constitute a pretty decent club.

However, more importantly, it involves few changes, and little payroll increase. My point was to get some other ideas how this team could be fixed without either of the two aforementioned factors. If you have a plan for fixing it without lots of trades, or free agent acquisitions, many of us would enjoy your thoughts.

CLR01
11-13-2007, 04:47 PM
No, I'm saying that a return of Crede, with Rowand in center, an adjustment back to career norms for some of the guys who had bad years, and improvement from the youngsters, might constitute a pretty decent club.

However, more importantly, it involves few changes, and little payroll increase. My point was to get some other ideas how this team could be fixed without either of the two aforementioned factors. If you have a plan for fixing it without lots of trades, or free agent acquisitions, many of us would enjoy your thoughts.

Right, I got it. Bring back Rowand and the Sox will get better without any other moves.

spawn
11-13-2007, 05:22 PM
Right, I got it. Bring back Rowand and the Sox will get better without any other moves.
Well, not having Rowand in center field is the reason we lost 90 games. Our ****** bullpen, lack of offense, and horrible situational hitting had nothing to do with it.