PDA

View Full Version : harry sings

pagansoxfan
11-12-2007, 04:40 PM
this clip is from 1980. www.fuzzymemories.tv

Frontman
11-12-2007, 05:19 PM
this clip is from 1980. www.fuzzymemories.tv (http://www.fuzzymemories.tv)

That has to be doctored footage; Harry never sung "Take me out to the ballgame" until he went to the Cubs. The Tribune company said so!

:wink:

Thanks for bringing back a memory. Good Lord, does the game look different nowadays.

October26
11-12-2007, 05:30 PM

Thanks for sharing! Wow, I really enjoyed watching and reliving those memories. How about Jim Spencer in his 1st base uniform? The team was wearing those awful navy blue uniforms the Sox wore in 1980. Nice to see all those people at Old Comiskey on July 30, 1980. I wonder if I was at that game?

WhiteSox5187
11-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Thanks for sharing! Wow, I really enjoyed watching and reliving those memories. How about Jim Spencer in his 1st base uniform? The team was wearing those awful navy blue uniforms the Sox wore in 1980. Nice to see all those people at Old Comiskey on July 30, 1980. I wonder if I was at that game?
I'm pretty sure that was Mike Squires at first...

kba
11-12-2007, 05:58 PM

... and a future Cy Young winner on the mound.

jackbrohamer
11-12-2007, 06:13 PM
... and a future Cy Young winner on the mound.

A svelte-looking Lamar Hoyt. And to save geeks like me the time of looking it up at Baseball Almanac, the Sox went on to win by a score of 6 to 5, before an announced crowd of 13,344. Sure looked like a bigger crowd ...

rdwj
11-12-2007, 06:16 PM
A svelte-looking Lamar Hoyt. And to save geeks like me the time of looking it up at Baseball Almanac, the Sox went on to win by a score of 6 to 5, before an announced crowd of 13,344. Sure looked like a bigger crowd ...

Looks A LOT bigger tha 13.5!

Lip Man 1
11-12-2007, 06:54 PM
I recently got the final three innings of this game sent to me on DVD. Passed it along (a copy) to Greg Pryor who played in that game. Those were the days.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
11-12-2007, 07:04 PM
I didnt realize how much I hated those uniforms until this video.That was slick fielding Mike Squires at 1st. 3 years later he raised the American League Western Division pennant out on the roof in right center field on a Sunday afternoon after we clinched that Saturday night against the Mariners.

pagansoxfan
11-12-2007, 07:36 PM
never liked the home pj's, but always loved the road ones. i thought it was awesome seeing the original scoreboard.

Noneck
11-12-2007, 07:46 PM
I'm amazed that current Sox and cubs management have not found a way to destroy all evidence of that man being affiliated with the Sox.

roylestillman
11-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Why doesn't the Sox or MLB create a catalog of these old games that people can buy? Not classic games, just a random game during the season. I'd pay $$$ just to throw in a DVD of Harry and Jimmy announcing a 1979 era game.

Brian26
11-12-2007, 07:53 PM
The first thing that caught my eye and something I hadn't seen since I would occassionaly stay up late as a youngster if the UHF reception on Ch 44 was coming in strong enough- I vividly remember Harry's booth having all of the American League pennants pinned up on the wall.

Amazing video!

Brian26
11-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Why doesn't the Sox or MLB create a catalog of these old games that people can buy? Not classic games, just a random game during the season. I'd pay $$$ just to throw in a DVD of Harry and Jimmy announcing a 1979 era game.

I've said it before. They're sitting on a gold mine.

October26
11-12-2007, 07:56 PM

You're right WhiteSox5187 - that was Mike Squires at first. Jim Spencer was already a member of the Yankees by 1980. I had Jim Spencer on the brain as I was recently re-reading a chapter in the White Sox encyclopedia on the teams of the 1970's. See what happens in the off-season - my brain goes to mush and I forget my White Sox history! Thanks for correcting me.

I'm so happy to see this video and to be able to share it with my children. WSI is truly a wonderful medium for sharing and discussing all things White Sox!

Noneck
11-12-2007, 07:57 PM
I've said it before. They're sitting on a gold mine.

If that's up to Sox ownership you'll never see one till he is gone. Gold mine or not.

Brian26
11-12-2007, 08:01 PM
If that's up to Sox ownership you'll never see one till he is gone. Gold mine or not.

I'm talking about major league baseball (MLB). They own the rights to all of the games. It really has nothing to do with Sox ownership.

MLB is slowing releasing dvd box sets, mostly in World Series form. The '79 Series with the Pirates/Orioles, the '80 Series with the Phillies/Royals, etc. Hopefully at some point they will start releasing ALCS and NLCS series and some random regular season games.

Noneck
11-12-2007, 08:13 PM
I'm talking about major league baseball (MLB). They own the rights to all of the games. It really has nothing to do with Sox ownership.

MLB is slowing releasing dvd box sets, mostly in World Series form. The '79 Series with the Pirates/Orioles, the '80 Series with the Phillies/Royals, etc. Hopefully at some point they will start releasing ALCS and NLCS series and some random regular season games.

I am not saying you are wrong, but the Sox owner is very tight with the commissioner and is very powerful and may have ways to stop this. Also DVDs of this time period would take something away from the cubs mystic which isn't good for MLB. Hope I am wrong and you are right.

Noneck
11-12-2007, 08:26 PM
On second thought , I would rather see MLB come out with a 83 Sox Dvd.
I would really love the world to see that speech given by the Sox chairman in the locker room after they won the division.

kba
11-12-2007, 09:00 PM

Do complete tapes of games from this era even exist? I doubt anybody archived many Sox game tapes in the 70's. Videotape was expensive, and both TV-44 and the ballclub were pretty low budget operations in those days.

DumpJerry
11-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Thanks pagan! I always hear Harry's "Lemme hear ya!" whenever it is 7th Inning Stretch these days. This will not erase those memories!

Sox
11-12-2007, 09:14 PM

Wow that really does bring back old memories for me. Thanks for finding that. I remember when the Sox wore those Bill Veek uniforms. OMG. Talk about dating myself.:redface:

Lip Man 1
11-12-2007, 09:45 PM
KBA:

Good question. I asked Rich King what WGN has in their achives in his interview and he said nothing before 1983. I know the Sox themselves probably have pieces of games from before then, I don't know about complete ones.

VHS was just coming out for home use, some stations had ENG equipment but many still kept things on those large, bulky 2 inch reels. Those were expensive to store and if you didn't have an air conditioned climate controled warehouse they would fall apart video wise after about eight to ten years.

In my collection I have some Sox TV footage from 1961 and I have some from two games in Boston in 1970. I also have some stuff from 1977.

At this point in time I don't think even MLB has complete regular season game from the 70's. They do have some of the post season though.

They also have a few from the 60's but not many post season games.

Lip

pagansoxfan
11-12-2007, 09:52 PM
You all are most welcome. I actually do remember watching Harry with us as a tot. If you go into the "screening room, you can find other old vids too, including this:http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/screen.php?c=548&p=2

Hitmen77
11-12-2007, 11:34 PM
:worship:
Thank you for this great find!!!! Ahhh, that brings back great memories. :smile: Oh, those ugly, ugly pajama uniforms and you gotta love the hi-tech graphics on TV telecasts back then (LOL).

Regarding the 13k crowd and how it seems much bigger. Note how the camera does pan around the whole ballpark. It's just close up shots of the fans near Harry. I loved hearing how the crowd was getting all excited as the inning ended because Harry was coming up.

Shame on the White Sox for completely handing this tradition over to the Cubs. :(:

Harry was with the Sox for 11 years. Then he was with the Cubs for 15 years...and now he's been gone for 10 years. Not exactly an exceptionally long period with the Cubs. What I don't understand is why the memory of Harry being on the Sox has been pretty much erased for all except die-hard Sox fans and Cub fans walk around shooting their mouths off as if they own the "singing the 7th inning stretch tradition".

I remember seeing a Harry Caray interview on TV (w/ Bob Costas) near the end of his life where Harry mentioned how he had been with the Sox about as long as the Cubs and he couldn't understand why people only remembered him as being with the Cubs.

Unfortunately, as you can tell, seeing this clip is sort of a bittersweet memory for me because of the events that followed and how I feel this tradition was in a way "stolen" from us and then thrown back in our face. Oh well, no point dwelling on that now - it's all history. I may as well see this clip again and smile.:smile: Here I go.....

Noneck
11-13-2007, 12:18 AM
:worship:

What I don't understand is why the memory of Harry being on the Sox has been pretty much erased for all except die-hard Sox fans and Cub fans walk around shooting their mouths off as if they own the "singing the 7th inning stretch tradition".

Believe me if anyone was a Sox fan during that era, they remember. But management has made a firm commitment to never mention or acknowledge Harry and Jimmy in any way as being a part of Sox history. As a result, the younger fans don't realize the joys they missed and the positive impact they had in Sox history. If anyone forgot what happened in that era read Lip Mans interview with Jimmy.

Viva Medias B's
11-13-2007, 12:28 AM
Does anyone have the clip (video or audio) of the time Harry caught a foul ball with his fishing net? I know the date: July 11, 1979. That is because before the foul catch, Harry and Jimmy were talking about a promotion for the game on the following night. The one that took place on July 12, 1979.

pagansoxfan
11-13-2007, 01:15 AM
http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/screen.php?c=567&p=1 this one is a promo for a weekend series vs kc in 1980. note the twangy music while promting italian night, lol!

Mr.1Dog
11-13-2007, 08:41 AM
I unfortunately never got the pleasure of seeing Harry sing at Comiskey. Buy my dad tells me stories about how great it was with him cuing up Nancy and then getting everyone involved. I sent the link to him and he said it made his day. Thanks for the great find. :smile:

DrCrawdad
11-13-2007, 10:04 AM

That's very cool! Thanks for posting it.

How long will it be at that address?

jackbrohamer
11-13-2007, 10:22 AM
http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/screen.php?c=567&p=1 this one is a promo for a weekend series vs kc in 1980. note the twangy music while promting italian night, lol!

Always a promotion when Bill Veeck owned the team. The voice-over sounds like Rich Koz

SOXPHILE
11-13-2007, 11:49 AM
3 years later he raised the American League Western Division pennant out on the roof in right center field on a Sunday afternoon after we clinched that Saturday night against the Mariners.

Actually, I think the division clincher was on a week night. I remember it being a school night and I had to go to bed before the game was over. I was listening to it on the radio, and then my dad came in and let me get up and watch the 9th inning, when Baines hit the sac fly to score Cruz. I can still here Don Drysdale's "....HERE COMES CRUZ.....!"

roylestillman
11-13-2007, 11:52 AM
That's very cool! Thanks for posting it.

How long will it be at that address?

Probably until the MLB lawyers slap a cease and desist on them

Bucky F. Dent
11-13-2007, 12:14 PM
That's great stuff.

God, I miss Harry and the old park.

"Lemme hear ya!!!!"

FuzzyMemories
11-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Probably until the MLB lawyers slap a cease and desist on them

We're a non-profit, Chicago Television Museum, so our use of the video clip is covered under the Fair Use provision of U.S. Copyright Law, despite what MLB might try to tell people.

- Fuzzy

roylestillman
11-13-2007, 03:40 PM
We're a non-profit, Chicago Television Museum, so our use of the video clip is covered under the Fair Use provision of U.S. Copyright Law, despite what MLB might try to tell people.

- Fuzzy

Tremendous

Then keep 'em coming

pagansoxfan
11-13-2007, 04:39 PM
Fuzzy, you rawk! I am so greatful for all the awesome finds you have on your site.

TommyJohn
11-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Actually, I think the division clincher was on a week night. I remember it being a school night and I had to go to bed before the game was over. I was listening to it on the radio, and then my dad came in and let me get up and watch the 9th inning, when Baines hit the sac fly to score Cruz. I can still here Don Drysdale's "....HERE COMES CRUZ.....!"

It was a Saturday night. I still have the next day's paper.

LITTLE NELL
11-13-2007, 06:25 PM
It was on a Saturday night, trust me.

Lip Man 1
11-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Ditto...it was a Saturday.

Lip

johnr1note
11-14-2007, 12:08 AM
Thanks. I sent this link to everybody in my immediate family, and its sparked quite a discussion. We had season tickets in the "loge boxes" just below the radio booth. I don't think we were there that night, but we could have been. Man, what memories. The thing that this brings back is what a great personality Harry was . . . makes our current radio team pale by comparison.

Brian26
11-14-2007, 12:26 AM

I think I've watched this clip eight times tonight.

How about the Lamarr Johnson homer that almost hits the bullseye in LF?

Who were the slick-fielding 2nd and SS who made that underhand toss play to get the guy at first (Squires playing 1b). Was it Alan Bannister to Greg Pryor?

Was that Rickey Henderson trying to make the catch in LF against the wall?

I see Hard Art and Thad Bosley in that last clip congratulating Pryor on his homerun.

russ99
11-14-2007, 12:15 PM
The sad thing is - the 7th inning stretch thing wasn't really the most cool thing about Harry. He was one of us, he'd sit in the bleachers with us and and he (and Jimmy) always told it like it was. He didn't care who's feathers he ruffled.

As for those Cub fans, I always mention that the Sox had Harry in his "Mayor of Rush St." prime, and at least the last half of his stint with the Cubs he was getting old, losing his touch and became a sad shadow of his former great 70's Sox self.

Lip Man 1
11-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Brian:

Yes that was Henderson. Read Greg Pryor's interview for more on that play:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=3248

Lip

white sox bill
11-14-2007, 01:19 PM
There was a time when I thought I'd miss Harry when he announced he was leaving. Now looking back, he fit in quite well with that circus on the North Side.

kba
11-14-2007, 08:50 PM
I think I've watched this clip eight times tonight.

There's another promo with more Sox clips here (http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/screen.php?c=183&m=xxwsnsxx&p=5) (at 2:35, just before the "Dating Game" promo.) Watch for Chet Lemon, Claudell Washington, Junior Moore, Mike Squires, and I think Steve Trout. Also a nice shot of Veeck's original scoreboard after a home run.

Soxfest
11-15-2007, 01:23 AM
Thanks for sharing the site. I have enjoyed watching the clips, I am a kid again!:D:

WhiteSox5187
11-15-2007, 02:31 PM
This isn't Sox related, but there was a commercial there from like 1980 about Q101 and they had these kids in leather jackets who are supposed to be punk rockers saying "Q101 plays music that is really stupid...The Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, The Eages...they say the Q stands for quality! It's stupid! They dont' play the Germs, or the Sex Pistols or the Clash!" This made me laugh seeing as how now Q101 is "Everything Alternative"

GoSox2K3
11-15-2007, 03:03 PM
You'd never know by the way that the media gushes over the 7th inning stretch as being specifically a Cubs "tradition" (thanks to their former announcer) that this is also a long-time Sox tradition that was made memorable on the South Side by the very same guy.

Harry's era is long gone on both sides of town - yet they still prop this up as specifically a "Cubs" thing as one more attempt at a marketing edge over the Sox. The Cubs have kept this alive as "their tradition" with their "celebrity" singers (:puking: ). Honestly, I think the experience at Sox Park is much better where it's all about the fans singing - and it's always sung loudly at the Cell - and not about some lame "B" celebrity.

Oh well, I guess if this video clip gets around, the Cubs are going to have to hire these guys to track down anyone who sees it:
http://www.bbspot.com/Images/News_Features/2007/02/men_in_black.jpg

downstairs
11-16-2007, 05:38 PM

- Fuzzy

Hey Fuzzy. I've spoken with you before through You Tube. You are absolutely the man!

Good luck with the new site.

kba
11-16-2007, 10:39 PM
KBA:

Good question. I asked Rich King what WGN has in their achives in his interview and he said nothing before 1983. I know the Sox themselves probably have pieces of games from before then, I don't know about complete ones.

I know of one complete game tape from the Harry/Jimmy era that's still around: 1981 Opening Day. ESPN Classic showed it a few years ago. It was Harry's last year with the Sox, and the only year between 1968 and 1990 that the Sox were on WGN.

Have you ever asked Jim Angio if he saved anything from the TV-44 days?

In my collection I have some Sox TV footage from 1961 and I have some from two games in Boston in 1970. I also have some stuff from 1977.

I'm sure a lot of people on this board would love to see these if you're at liberty to share them.

Lip Man 1
11-17-2007, 12:31 PM
KBA:

I know the game you are talking about (Fisk debut) I have it. I also have a poor copy of a game from April 81 where the Sox blew out Baltimore 18-5 plus the 10th inning show where Harry interviews Jerry & Eddie. At one time they actually got along.

I don't know how to post video clips so the best that can be done with George's help are audio clips.

Lip

DannyCaterFan
11-17-2007, 11:36 PM
I was fortunate enough in 1978, just after I purchased my first video recorder deck to make a two hour tape of White Sox baseball from that season. All from channel 44 with Harry and Jimmy and some Lorne Brown thrown in. The tape is still in good shape and I soon plan on converting it to dvd. It is loaded with extended scoring innings, including an 11 run inning against the Angels that year. It also has Harry singing and many good shots of the old scoreboard going off. I only wish i could share it with everyone.

Sox-on-TV44
11-23-2007, 05:12 PM
I was fortunate enough in 1978, just after I purchased my first video recorder deck to make a two hour tape of White Sox baseball from that season. All from channel 44 with Harry and Jimmy and some Lorne Brown thrown in. The tape is still in good shape and I soon plan on converting it to dvd. It is loaded with extended scoring innings, including an 11 run inning against the Angels that year. It also has Harry singing and many good shots of the old scoreboard going off. I only wish i could share it with everyone.
Wow!!!

Send that tape or DVD to fuzzymemories' web site.Find his e-mail,he'll be happy to add it on the site.So that way,everyone can share the TV 44 goodness of the Sox!!!

DannyCaterFan
11-26-2007, 02:22 PM
Wow!!!

Send that tape or DVD to fuzzymemories' web site.Find his e-mail,he'll be happy to add it on the site.So that way,everyone can share the TV 44 goodness of the Sox!!!

Fuzzymemories? a person or a website?

Sox-on-TV44
11-27-2007, 10:16 AM
Fuzzymemories? a person or a website?
Both,actually.(he does have a real name).

FuzzyMemories
11-30-2007, 03:32 PM
I sent you an e-mail. That is rare footage indeed. :)

- Fuzzy

kba
12-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Another nice find (http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/screen.php?c=611&p=3), now available on Fuzzymemories:

The first few minutes of the game one telecast from the 1983 ALCS. This was the local telecast with Hawk and Don Drysdale as the announcers - back in the days when the local play-by-play crews could still broadcast post-season games to their hometown audience.

Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYPCUVFzwxQ) the first few minutes of the NBC telecast of the same game.