PDA

View Full Version : Backup Right Fielder?

DickAllen72
11-10-2007, 12:39 PM
As the Sox' roster stands right now, who would be the backup RFer behind Dye? Now that Erstad is gone, the Sox really don't have an option there.

This is something KW must consider this offseason. It's one reason why an Aaron Rowand would be a good pickup as he can play all three OF positions.

If Hunter does indeed become our starting CFer, the Sox still need to acquire another OFer with a strong arm capable of playing RF.

Who are some reasonable candidates out there that the Sox might have a chance of acquiring to fill this need?

DSpivack
11-10-2007, 12:49 PM
What about Ryan Sweeney?

LITTLE NELL
11-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Id try to sign Erstad for a lot less money. We also do not have a back up at 1st base, Erstad fills the bill there also. Hes won a gold glove at both OF and 1B.

FedEx227
11-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Id try to sign Erstad for a lot less money. We also do not have a back up at 1st base, Erstad fills the bill there also. Hes won a gold glove at both OF and 1B.

Jeter has also won a Gold Glove at SS. Two actually.

It doesn't mean anything.

Sockinchisox
11-10-2007, 12:55 PM
FA RF:

Bobby Kielty
Darin Erstad
Trot Nixon
Reggie Sanders (Doubt he would be a back-up)
Shawn Green (Same)
Rob Mackowiak

Thats about it for free agent OFs who could be considered back-ups to play RF.

soxfanreggie
11-10-2007, 01:01 PM
If you sign Erstad, have it at a low amount with incentives for PT and production. I don't know if he'd sign it, but he's made close to $50 million in salary over the past 10 years, so maybe he would play for less. His last contract was only $750K, not including the $250K buyout to decline the club option. A back-up OF/1B for under a million isn't bad, especially one that has the potential to be a solid producer if he's not injured. I would consider taking the risk again.

getonbckthr
11-10-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm fine with Sweeney or Anderson as the backup OF'r. If Dye happens to get hurt we will need to trade for someone or hope one of them finally steps up. Your not gonna get a starting OF'r to come here and backup both because they wanna play and it would be a waste of money.

DickAllen72
11-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Anderson is a bust. And I doubt Ozzie wants him around as a backup anyway.

Sweeney appears as if he's going backward in his development, so maybe he is destined to be a fourth outfielder at best. Still, since Sweeney has shown nothing at the major league level, I'm not sure I want to waste a roster spot on him.

If Hunter will be in CF, we need a starting LFer who can also play RF, or a solid bench player that can play RF. I can't see Hunter playing much in RF except in an extreme emergency. I doubt he wants to sign with a team that's planning on moving him around out there.

If you sign Rowand as your starting CFer, he can slide over to RF when needed allowing Owens to play CF. That allows you the option of carrying a weaker armed player as your fourth OFer.

Ideally, the Sox sign both Hunter for CF and Rowand for LF. Sure it will cost a lot, but that's the situation the Sox got into by overvaluing their prospects like Anderson, Sweeney, etc. If you want to contend and your minor league system doesn't produce, you have to pay free agents.

Another option would be Hunter in CF and Fukodome in LF as he can also play RF and even some CF.

If Erstad will sign on for $1M or less with the understanding that he is only a backup 1B and OF, I'd be fine with that.

getonbckthr
11-10-2007, 01:34 PM

Sweeney appears as if he's going backward in his development, so maybe he is destined to be a fourth outfielder at best. Still, since Sweeney has shown nothing at the major league level, I'm not sure I want to waste a roster spot on him.

If Hunter will be in CF, we need a starting LFer who can also play RF, or a solid bench player that can play RF. I can't see Hunter playing much in RF except in an extreme emergency. I doubt he wants to sign with a team that's planning on moving him around out there.

If you sign Rowand as your starting CFer, he can slide over to RF when needed allowing Owens to play CF. That allows you the option of carrying a weaker armed player as your fourth OFer.

Ideally, the Sox sign both Hunter for CF and Rowand for LF. Sure it will cost a lot, but that's the situation the Sox got into by overvaluing their prospects like Anderson, Sweeney, etc. If you want to contend and your minor league system doesn't produce, you have to pay free agents.

Another option would be Hunter in CF and Fukodome in LF as he can also play RF and even some CF.

If Erstad will sign on for $1M or less with the understanding that he is only a backup 1B and OF, I'd be fine with that.
Rowand :puke:
Anderson is not a bust he was a misused and wasted rookie never given a full season or 2 to develop.

Sockinchisox
11-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Considering how much Fukudome gets On Base, I would consider trying to sign him, start in LF and have him lead off. But I don't think the Sox are interested in him as much as other clubs are.

WhiteSox5187
11-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Considering how much Fukudome gets On Base, I would consider trying to sign him, start in LF and have him lead off. But I don't think the Sox are interested in him as much as other clubs are.
That's a good idea...I'd also like to see that shortstop from Japan come over here if that's possible.

Grzegorz
11-10-2007, 02:55 PM

Jeter has also won a Gold Glove at SS. Two actually.

It doesn't mean anything.

In Erstad's case it clearly means something. It is obvious that he is a plus defender at both positions.

The former has yet to be determined; the latter is etched in stone.

soxinem1
11-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Someone like Bobby Kielty is fine, he can play all three OF positions, and he has a decent bat for that type of role.

I think Shawn Green would be good too, unless he has some silly idea he is still a regular player. He could also back up at 1B. A well placed 350 AB's from all four spots could be one productive hitter, and very good defender for a backup.

jabrch
11-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Our backup RF very well may be our starting CF with plans to shift Owens to start at CF if we have any needs. That would assume we sign Rowand or someone at CF who has a RF arm.

Tragg
11-10-2007, 04:54 PM
WE can't go into a season with a bench full of weak, slap hitters like we did in 2007. There are plenty of guys who can hit and play first. or right field. Most of all, I hope we get a legitimate major league hitter for the Sox bench. A slapper in a power position like first, backup or not, really hurts the offense.

drewcifer
11-10-2007, 05:15 PM
WE can't go into a season with a bench full of weak, slap hitters like we did in 2007. There are plenty of guys who can hit and play first. or right field. Most of all, I hope we get a legitimate major league hitter for the Sox bench. A slapper in a power position like first, backup or not, really hurts the offense.

I agree. One of the most glaring things in watching this past season, is that the other teams in our division had this on their bench and we had fly swatters.