PDA

View Full Version : Sox/Astros deal before Lidge trade

AWhiteSoxinNJ
11-09-2007, 06:54 PM
According to MLBTraderumors.com:

"Peter Gammons says that before the Astros got Michael Bourn, the White Sox pushed for a Chad Qualls for Ryan Sweeney swap."

The article is from ESPN Insider so I have no link to it.

Soxfanspcu11
11-09-2007, 07:05 PM
According to MLBTraderumors.com:

"Peter Gammons says that before the Astros got Michael Bourn, the White Sox pushed for a Chad Qualls for Ryan Sweeney swap."

The article is from ESPN Insider so I have no link to it.

Hmm.........I can't decide if this would have been a good thing or not. If it were indeed true of course.

Obviously the plus side would be that Qualls is already established and has proven that he belongs on a Major League roster. He would be a good fit with the Sox anyway you slice it.

The negative would be that we get rid of Sweeney. However, that may not actually be a negative. I was just looking at his AFL numbers a little bit earlier in the day and they are not so hot. He has been playing better as of late, but prior to that he was batting around .215. I believe that he has raised his average to around .260 as he has been coming around as of late, but still, I don't like that .215 part. His current slugging percentage is also dismal, something along the lines of .340. But I don't know if that matters so much, I don't think Sweeney is going to be the DH for any team, ever.

I dunno, it just seems to be that we have been waiting on Sweeney for a while now. He has been a prospect for seemingly a very long time now, at least in my mind.

And of course, there is no guranttee that he will ever come around and be what he is suppossed to be.

The only thing that I would hate would be if KW did pull the trigger on that deal and then Sweeney exploded. Look at what our farmhands are doing in San Diego and Arizona! I like Vasquez, but still. Makes me wonder "what if" sometimes.

gogosox16
11-09-2007, 07:06 PM
I would like that cause Sweeney keeps going down our charts in outfielder's and that would of helped our bullpen alot.

DickAllen72
11-09-2007, 07:28 PM
The negative would be that we get rid of Sweeney. However, that may not actually be a negative. I was just looking at his AFL numbers a little bit earlier in the day and they are not so hot. He has been playing better as of late, but prior to that he was batting around .215. I believe that he has raised his average to around .260 as he has been coming around as of late, but still, I don't like that .215 part. His current slugging percentage is also dismal, something along the lines of .340.

Ryan Sweeney has raised his average from .214 to .262, with seven RBIs and four stolen bases through 18 games in Arizona. But the young outfielder has just a .262 slugging percentage, with 17 singles to show for his offensive output over 65 at-bats. http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071109&content_id=2296887&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

I would have traded Sweeney for Qualls in a heartbeat. Too bad the Astros were too smart for that.

RichFitztightly
11-09-2007, 10:00 PM
I think Sweeney will be good. He just needs to get his hands up earlier in the pitchers delivery. As it is now (or was during the season) he'd keep his hands down low near his chest and raise them into the hitting position right as the pitcher was delivering the ball. He needs to get his hands up before the pitcher releases it if he wants to have any success in the major leagues.

Right now, he's late on every pitch because his hands aren't up before the pitcher releases the ball.

weareud
11-09-2007, 10:20 PM
I dunno, it just seems to be that we have been waiting on Sweeney for a while now. He has been a prospect for seemingly a very long time now, at least in my mind.

It does seem like that, but he is just 22 years old.

drewcifer
11-09-2007, 10:33 PM
It does seem like that, but he is just 22 years old.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w25/triplefactorial/Captain%20Obvious/2b56203d.jpg

I keed. :wink:

IMO, I think the Astros have every intention of looking at Qualls as a closer. They wouldn't have dealt Lidge otherwise. Not saying it'll be just handed, but looks that way.

Having said, if this was their plan, it supports their reasonsing behind not giving him up despite the immense value Ryan Sweeney has.

34rancher
11-10-2007, 07:43 AM
Why would anyone here want Qualls? We all know he gives up clutch home runs in the Cell...

Thome25
11-10-2007, 09:13 AM
what is with the Sox/Astros trades that keep falling through? First the Garland trade and now this.

Do the Astros enjoy yanking our chains as payback for the 2005 WS?

skobabe8
11-10-2007, 09:53 AM
I diont like that trade at all.

areilly
11-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Why would anyone here want Qualls? We all know he gives up clutch home runs in the Cell...

Because as far as middle relievers go, I'd say he's in the upper tier where reliability is concerned.

Anyway, it's hard to tell if you're being serious or not, but as a frame of reference here are some other active pitchers who've given up clutch home runs in the Cell:
- Mark Buehrle
- Jon Garland
- Javier Vazquez
- Bobby Jenks
- Johan Santana
- Jonathan Papelbon
- Mariano Rivera
- Carlos Zambrano
- Scott Kazmir
- C.C. Sabathia
- Justin Verlander

Yeah, I wouldn't want any of those guys either...
:rolleyes:

Tragg
11-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Great - trade top prospects for middle relievers.
Qualls is better than the usual suspects
We have young pitchers - use them. That's how the Astros get pitchers like Qualls and Lidge.
The Sox spent last year developing Myers and Bukvich.

drewcifer
11-10-2007, 06:06 PM
We have top prospects?

Tragg
11-10-2007, 06:13 PM
We have top prospects?

Well, he's as close as we have re a position prospect close to the majors. He had a bad year last year. I know Ozzie wasn't enamored (he's no Owens), but he's also only 22. How many of these guys are we going to cast aside?

Regardless, the Sox need more position prospects.

oeo
11-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Because as far as middle relievers go, I'd say he's in the upper tier where reliability is concerned.

Anyway, it's hard to tell if you're being serious or not, but as a frame of reference here are some other active pitchers who've given up clutch home runs in the Cell:
- Mark Buehrle
- Jon Garland
- Javier Vazquez
- Bobby Jenks
- Johan Santana
- Jonathan Papelbon
- Mariano Rivera
- Carlos Zambrano
- Scott Kazmir
- C.C. Sabathia
- Justin Verlander

Yeah, I wouldn't want any of those guys either...
:rolleyes:

I believe that's what you call sarcasm.

Sockinchisox
11-10-2007, 07:04 PM
We have top prospects?

Ya, his name is Fautino De Los Santos.

California Sox
11-10-2007, 07:10 PM
I believe Egbert, who doesn't have maybe a huge ceiling, is very close to the majors. I think he profiles well as a middle reliever. Very good sinker and he throws strikes.

drewcifer
11-10-2007, 07:15 PM
I believe Egbert, who doesn't have maybe a huge ceiling, is very close to the majors. I think he profiles well as a middle reliever. Very good sinker and he throws strikes.

Yeah, I keep hearing the same things. Let's keep the fingers crossed.

Ya, his name is Fautino De Los Santos.

Generally, you find the cart behind the horse's arse. He's still below AA. A top prospect, he is not yet.

russ99
11-12-2007, 12:10 PM
While Qualls (a set-up man and not a middle reliever) would be a great addition to the Sox, I can't see how Sweeney would fit in with the Astros.

They needed a good defensive CF who can lead off and steal bases. And they got that in Bourn.

Acquiring Sweeney would have been pointless as the Astros have 2 set corner outfielders in Pence (also a CF) and Lee, and have a similar player to Sweeney with solid MLB experience in Luke Scott.

Won't happen now, with Lidge gone. Also, Qualls is will likely be moved to closer if the Astros can't sign Linebrink.