PDA

View Full Version : Latest News On Team / Uribe

Lip Man 1
11-09-2007, 05:15 PM
From White Sox.com. I thought the Uribe negotiating news was interesting.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071109&content_id=2296887&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Lip

Domeshot17
11-09-2007, 05:20 PM
They were making a point that they wanted a hungry ballplayer

And so we have the fattest SS in baseball for another year

DumpJerry
11-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Let's hope JD can convince Torii we're worth it.

KyWhiSoxFan
11-09-2007, 05:33 PM
>>They were making a point that they wanted a hungry ballplayer>>

And they got one--a SS that eats everything in sight.

BeeBeeRichard
11-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Seems if there were only three or four places he could have gone to be a starter, and he thought Chicago was the right place for him, they should have been able to get him for a greater discount than 500k off the $5 mill option.

Or at least they could have made it an incentive deal. Like, $3 million base, plus 500k for every 10 points you hit over .240.

Foulke You
11-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Here's hoping Uribe re-dedicates himself to prove the team he is the guy from '05 and not the guy from '07. I for one will be pulling for him. How about hitting a HR for your mom on Opening Day a la Bo Jackson?

LITTLE NELL
11-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Maybe we should give some slack to Uribe, he had a tough year with that shooting incedent and Im sure his Mom having cancer probably played on his mind during the season. Im sure KW took this all into consideration in giving Uribe 1 more year. Lets face it,hes never going to be a a big OBP guy but he can be a very good fielding SS with some punch at the bottom of the order. By the way, someone named Ozzie was also a guy who swung at just about every pitch he saw.

upperdeckusc
11-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Maybe we should give some slack to Uribe, he had a tough year with that shooting incedent and Im sure his Mom having cancer probably played on his mind during the season. Im sure KW took this all into consideration in giving Uribe 1 more year. Lets face it,hes never going to be a a big OBP guy but he can be a very good fielding SS with some punch at the bottom of the order. By the way, someone named Ozzie was also a guy who swung at just about every pitch he saw.

simple solution: don't shoot anyone

RCWHITESOX
11-09-2007, 06:14 PM

You forgot not only is he the fattest but plays only when he wants to. He also has never seen a pitch not worth swinging at. Refuses to implament hitting techniques from his coaches; therefore the lousy OBA. Wow we just signed Juan friggin Uribe.

FedEx227
11-09-2007, 06:17 PM

Guys, this wasn't a particularly out of the ordinary year for Uribe.

.234/.284/.394, 20 HR, 68 RBI, 112 Ks, 34 BB

Career
.254/.295/.427, 19 HR, 77 RBI, 111 Ks, 32 BB

Sargeant79
11-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Guys, this wasn't a particularly out of the ordinary year for Uribe.

.234/.284/.394, 20 HR, 68 RBI, 112 Ks, 34 BB

Career
.254/.295/.427, 19 HR, 77 RBI, 111 Ks, 32 BB

Playing devil's advocate...

While many of his numbers are in line with his career norms, his defense was much better in previous years than last year. Also, that 20 points in batting average is a significant difference. I think we would all be a little more inclined to live with a 20HR hitting defensive shortstop who hits .250 than one who hits .230.

Hitmen77
11-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Playing devil's advocate...

While many of his numbers are in line with his career norms, his defense was much better in previous years than last year. Also, that 20 points in batting average is a significant difference. I think we would all be a little more inclined to live with a 20HR hitting defensive shortstop who hits .250 than one who hits .230.

...plus I think his September hot streak added a bit to his avg. I don't remember exactly, but I could have sworn that he was hovering around .200 or .210 well into the season.

Brian26
11-09-2007, 08:48 PM

He also has a better cannon than IG-88. I like our chances.
http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/thumb/8/82/IG-88.jpg/250px-IG-88.jpg

spiffie
11-09-2007, 08:52 PM
...plus I think his September hot streak added a bit to his avg. I don't remember exactly, but I could have sworn that he was hovering around .200 or .210 well into the season.
On Aug. 31 he was hitting 216/267/363. He then went and hit 309/358/526 with 5 HR in Sept.

Brian26
11-09-2007, 09:05 PM
On Aug. 31 he was hitting 216/267/363. He then went and hit 309/358/526 with 5 HR in Sept.

Don't even suggest that was garbage time production. Don't do it.

A. Cavatica
11-09-2007, 09:42 PM
By the way, someone named Ozzie was also a guy who swung at just about every pitch he saw.

Ozzie was better with the glove (until his outfield collision), was always a hard worker, was a fan favorite, and could at least get the bat on the ball. The comparison with Ozzie doesn't do Uribe any favors.

RichFitztightly
11-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Or at least they could have made it an incentive deal. Like, $3 million base, plus 500k for every 10 points you hit over .240.

I really like the cut of your jib. It really boils down to a lack of options at the position. Uribe will be alright as long as he gets the bat on the ball a little more often and into the .250 and up range.

Lip Man 1
11-10-2007, 12:02 AM
Brian:

Well Ozzie himself was directly quoted as saying you can't read anything into either September or spring training numbers for what that's worth.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
11-10-2007, 12:10 AM
Brian:

Well Ozzie himself was directly quoted as saying you can't read anything into either September or spring training numbers for what that's worth.

Lip
And I agree with this, when you're facing a team like the Royals in September, they're going to be trotting out a lot of farm hands to see what they can do. Having a good September is essentially a way of saying "I can hit minor league pitching."

As for his defense, it was awful in 2007 and it was awful throughout the second half of 2006. I was very worried (as were others) about the short stop position going into the off season in 2006. I just don't think Uribe is the answer. I hope he proves me wrong though.

JB98
11-10-2007, 12:21 AM
And I agree with this, when you're facing a team like the Royals in September, they're going to be trotting out a lot of farm hands to see what they can do. Having a good September is essentially a way of saying "I can hit minor league pitching."

As for his defense, it was awful in 2007 and it was awful throughout the second half of 2006. I was very worried (as were others) about the short stop position going into the off season in 2006. I just don't think Uribe is the answer. I hope he proves me wrong though.

I don't think Uribe's defense was awful in 2007. I thought there were some annoying mental lapses. It wasn't the best in the league by any stretch of the imagination. But we've had far worse at the position in the past.

My main concern with Juan is his horrible approach at the plate and his lack of execution. In 2005, he got bunts down when asked and hit sacrifice flies with a man at third and less than two outs. Last season, I saw strikeouts and pop-ups in those situations all too often.

Hitmen77
11-10-2007, 12:32 AM
I don't think Uribe's defense was awful in 2007. I thought there were some annoying mental lapses. It wasn't the best in the league by any stretch of the imagination. But we've had far worse at the position in the past.

My main concern with Juan is his horrible approach at the plate and his lack of execution. In 2005, he got bunts down when asked and hit sacrifice flies with a man at third and less than two outs. Last season, I saw strikeouts and pop-ups in those situations all too often.

This is what makes me so angry in watching Uribe.

JB98
11-10-2007, 12:36 AM
This is what makes me so angry in watching Uribe.

There are certainly legitimate criticisms of Uribe's play. I think Sox management and Sox coaches are frustrated with him. I think Sox fans are frustrated with him. But I think it's hyperbole to say his defense was "awful" in 2007.

Mike Caruso's defense was awful.

TheOldRoman
11-10-2007, 02:02 AM
And I agree with this, when you're facing a team like the Royals in September, they're going to be trotting out a lot of farm hands to see what they can do. Having a good September is essentially a way of saying "I can hit minor league pitching."Not true at all. There are a few reasons not to trust September numbers. Uribe has nothing to lose, and the Sox were well out of it. There was no pressure at all on him at that point. As for playing other teams' minor leaguers, that isn't the case with all teams. The Sox didn't play thirty against the Royals. They played two series against the Indians, two against the Tigers, and one against the Angels. They were playing playoff caliber teams more often than not. You can't completely dismiss September numbers as "only coming against rookies". But, as I said, that isn't making a case for Uribe by any means.