PDA

View Full Version : MVP & ROY Awards?

manders_01
11-09-2007, 11:27 AM
When do the winners usually get announced for those?

DSpivack
11-09-2007, 11:59 AM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/

manders_01
11-09-2007, 12:04 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/

Just a few days then.

Thanks! :smile:

mwc44
11-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Here's the schedule of announcements:
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/awards/y2007/index.jsp

manders_01
11-12-2007, 11:50 AM
ROY annoucements at 2 PM EST today.

eriqjaffe
11-12-2007, 11:52 AM
ROY annoucements at 2 PM EST today.Andy Gonzalez better have his acceptance speech ready!

DumpJerry
11-12-2007, 11:56 AM
ROY annoucements at 2 PM EST today.
I'm thinking today will be a big day for Tulowitzki.

I'm going with Asdrubal Cabrera in the AL. Dustin Pedroia is my back-up.

manders_01
11-12-2007, 12:38 PM
I'm thinking today will be a big day for Tulowitzki.

I'm going with Asdrubal Cabrera in the AL. Dustin Pedroia is my back-up.

I've got my fingers crossed that that is the case! :smile:

I think that if Ellsbury had played all year, he would have a good shot. But I'd like to see Pedoria win. I know the voting was over before the postseason but they were both phenomonal in the World Series.

Domeshot17
11-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Ill play Devils advocate and say Ryan Braun in the NL and undeservingly Dice K takes it in the AL.

Personally, the guy I think is getting really over looked is Reggie Willits of the Halos. Im not saying he should win, but he should reaaaalllyyy be in that conversation, and is getting next to no mention.

SBSoxFan
11-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Does anyone know why the award announcements are ordered this way?

Mon., Nov. 12 AL Rookie of the Year, NL Rookie of the Year
Tues., Nov. 13 AL Cy Young
Wed., Nov. 14 AL Manager of the Year, NL Manager of the Year
Thurs., Nov. 15 NL Cy Young
Mon., Nov. 19 AL MVP
Tues., Nov. 20 NL MVP

Why separate the Cy Young announcements with the manager of the year? And why wait until the next week to announce the MVPs? It just seems a little odd. :?:

manders_01
11-12-2007, 01:01 PM
NL = Braun
AL = Pedroia

manders_01
11-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Braun won by two votes over Tulo. :whiner:

FedEx227
11-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Both deserving. Braun had a hell of a season, although from an all-around standpoint I'd probably take Tulo over him, but you can't deny Braun deserved this just as much.

More disappointed Tulo didn't come away with at least a Gold Glove for his efforts.

JermaineDye05
11-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Both deserving. Braun had a hell of a season, although from an all-around standpoint I'd probably take Tulo over him, but you can't deny Braun deserved this just as much.

More disappointed Tulo didn't come away with at least a Gold Glove for his efforts.

I was disappointed that Matsuzaka and Okajima, received more votes then Josh.

oeo
11-12-2007, 03:09 PM
I was disappointed that Matsuzaka and Okajima, received more votes then Josh.

Okajima had a great season. As for Matsuzaka...well, he was hyped up before he even threw a pitch.

JermaineDye05
11-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Okajima had a great season. As for Matsuzaka...well, he was hyped up before he even threw a pitch.

He had a great season, I'm not arguing that. I just don't think the Japanese players should be eligible for the ROY cause they simply aren't rookies.

soltrain21
11-12-2007, 03:25 PM
He had a great season, I'm not arguing that. I just don't think the Japanese players should be eligible for the ROY cause they simply aren't rookies.

Neither are players that played in the minor leagues, either...if you want to get technical.

The line is much more shady on being a "rookie" for the MLB than it is for a sport like basketball, where the draft is an immediate thing.

manders_01
11-12-2007, 03:26 PM

Good point. But playing devil's advocate here, couldn't the same point be made with any ROY candidate that played at least one major league game in a season prior to becoming eligible to be named ROY? Technically they played in a major league game and therefore are no longer rookies.

eriqjaffe
11-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Good point. But playing devil's advocate here, couldn't the same point be made with any ROY candidate that played at least one major league game in a season prior to becoming eligible to be named ROY? Technically they played in a major league game and therefore are no longer rookies.Technically, they are still rookies.

In order to qualify for the award a player must not exceed either of the following, prior to the season under consideration:
130 at bats or 50 innings pitched in the major leagues
45 days on the active rosters of major league clubs (excluding time on the disabled list or any time after rosters are expanded on September 1)
The line's quite clear, it's just that there are just roster rules in baseball that simply aren't present in other sports.

russ99
11-12-2007, 03:51 PM

If Pence had played a full year, he would have beaten both of them.

FedEx227
11-12-2007, 03:58 PM
If Pence had played a full year, he would have beaten both of them.

Ehhhhhh... I wouldn't go that far.

Braun projected out to 162 games/647 at-bats:

.324/.370/.634, 49 HR, 132 RBI, 22 SB, 161 Ks, 42 BB (3.8 K/BB)

Pence projected out to 162 games/647 at-bats:

.322/.360/.539, 24 HR, 98 RBI, 16 SB, 135 Ks, 36 BB (3.75 K/BB)

MeteorsSox4367
11-12-2007, 04:18 PM

There's a little-known exception made for those who play in Boston or New York.

In my heart, I wish Fields would have won, but that wasn't going to happen. As for the NL, I'd have been happy with either Braun or Tulowitzki. Since the Brewers are one of my favorite teams, I'm happy with the choice of Braun. He's a helluva lot of fun to watch at the plate.

manders_01
11-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Technically, they are still rookies.

The line's quite clear, it's just that there are just roster rules in baseball that simply aren't present in other sports.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my post. Although MLB rules say they are rookies (which I checked on Wiki as well - who ever created that site is GENIUS! :D:), I was merely pointing out that IMO, making the arguement that Japanese players should not be eligible could go one step further to say that anyone who has played in an MLB game should not be eligible.

Mohoney
11-12-2007, 05:03 PM
I've got my fingers crossed that that is the case! :smile:

I think that if Ellsbury had played all year, he would have a good shot. But I'd like to see Pedoria win. I know the voting was over before the postseason but they were both phenomonal in the World Series.

I think Ellsbury came in just under the minimum number of required at-bats, so he's still eligible next year. I could be wrong, though.

manders_01
11-12-2007, 05:08 PM
I think Ellsbury came in just under the minimum number of required at-bats, so he's still eligible next year. I could be wrong, though.

Nah, the White Sox will have someone eligible next year to steal it away from him! LOL :tongue: